PvP Suggestion!! 1v1 rated games!

100 Gnome Warlock
An -unrated- (still have a hidden match-making rating - just no rewards, or just a tiny but of valor) option to queue for a duel may work.

Another variant on this that is less subject to the balance issue might be... you duel your own spec and class, :) Still going to be plenty of dead heats though... but potentially solvable with a healing debuff or mana regen debuff that kicks in slowly over the fight, ramping up to keep the battle short. (Significantly shorter than 3v3 time limit - talking 7-8 minutes here, as it's just for fun, with "no" rewards...)

I think either of these variants still ranks pretty low on the resources-to-implement (read: limited developer time, NOT money) versus enjoyment from players though, so while I'd like to see this or both of these, I don't think it's something Blizzard should invest limited human resources into at the moment.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warlock
20/11/2012 09:02Posted by Niënni
but still we can't put 1v1 in arenas unless we feel it’s equivalent to all the other brackets, and as I said, at the moment we don’t even feel 2v2 is equivalent to 3v3 or 5v5.

So why is 2v2 still in the game if this is Blizzards reasoning? You might aswell put 1v1 in aswell, since it's not as balanced as 3v3, but neither is 2v2.

Loss aversion. How many would be mad if Blizzard removed it? :)
It takes next to no effort to keep it in the game.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
1vs1? Please tell me more about how long you are going to enjoy fighting Blood Death Knights.
Reply Quote
70 Blood Elf Paladin
20/11/2012 09:35Posted by Draugarth
1vs1? Please tell me more about how long you are going to enjoy fighting Blood Death Knights.

trying to point out what here? ;s ppl that like to do 1v1 would have absolutely no problem to go vs anything! its still fun no matter whatever u go against so what u say there is rly pointless and out of the subject man rly
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
19/11/2012 12:10Posted by Thravia
It's an MMO, hence, massive multiplayer online.

1+1=2
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior

Oh sweet Jesus.

The pain............
Reply Quote
86 Night Elf Priest
19/11/2012 16:39Posted by Taepsilum
While in theory this sounds fun, the game just isn’t balanced around 1v1, not even 2v2

It's balanced arround PvE
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
Why not have 1v1 as part of the brawlers guild.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
19/11/2012 14:05Posted by Kargon
Even if it was balanced around 1vs1 it would open up a whole new level of wintrading.
Reply Quote
18 Troll Hunter
While in theory this sounds fun, the game just isn’t balanced around 1v1, not even 2v2, 3v3 is probably the most balanced bracket.
With 1v1, you could have fights that could last indefinitely, specs that wouldn’t work, everyone would probably have to switch to damage dealing specs or tanking specs (imagine double healers facing each other).
As you probably know 2v2 already has some restrictions when it comes to the rewards you can get from it exactly for the very same reason, so I wouldn’t expect 1v1 anytime soon.

But thanks for the suggestion, I do understand where this comes from, it's fun to duel, it really is, but that's why we have the duel option, but we must recognize that duelling has no place in Arenas as the game works right now, this doesn't mean that it will never happen, just that we don't currently have any plans for it, if one day we do, I’m sure that will only happen if circumstances change drastically and somehow we manage to balance PvP across all brackets with a radical new approach to it.

I know this is especially bothersome to those of you who really enjoy playing alone and prefer the 1on1 competitiveness of PvP, just like some people prefer to only do 1vs1 in RTS games, I know that some players are so competitive that when you win, you want to know that it was 100% because of you and only you and not because of your teammate, it’s nice to have total control over the fight, I get that, but still we can't put 1v1 in arenas unless we feel it’s equivalent to all the other brackets, and as I said, at the moment we don’t even feel 2v2 is equivalent to 3v3 or 5v5.

I don't think you get where this is coming from.

This is coming from the desire to cap conquest points without having to group, first and foremost.
Reply Quote
I wouldn't worry about balance if there's no real reward.
1on1 Arena would bring so much fun into pvp!

- All healing abilities should be reduced to 25%, so that it's not abuseable, but could be an edge
- There should be a mirror and a random option with separate ratings and ladders.
- Rewards could be only transmog setitems, available at different ratings per slot.
- Timelimit should be set to 10 min
- There could be a "Most Wanted" sign for the rank 1 player of each class next to the classtrainer

In any case, it's cheap new content and free balance statistics for you guys
Edited by Röönz on 20/11/2012 15:05 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman

Loss aversion. How many would be mad if Blizzard removed it? :)
It takes next to no effort to keep it in the game.

I didn't mean removing 2's, I was trying to make a point to add 1's {◕ ◡ ◕}

Since 2's isn't balanced either according to the blue, you might aswell add 1's.
Edited by Niënni on 20/11/2012 15:43 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
can u just shut up whit ur 4000 hk?

thanks

1v1 arena is a great idea, don't care that it's brocken, did you play 3v3 this time? it's a big joke

how can devs say" NO 1V1 ARENA CUZ IT's IMBLANCE" devs never been in serious arena for sure, how can they said what's would be fun? if they introduce 1v1 arene, i will go there 100% off my time, it's the best idea since a long time. but they will no do that, cuz the bad/idiot player will cry again.

yeah, saying that from a ROGUE POV, one off the worst class atm.

see how many duels i did, the probleme whit duel is that they are not a lot off people doing it, and it's not rewarding.

wanna a 1v1 ladder, even if it's give no point ( but i realy think it should), it would be awesome..

WHAT A SHAME
Edited by Dinø on 20/11/2012 16:23 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman

As you ironically and implicitly point out, having more honor kills doesn't mean you are more capable of intelligent debate.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
3v3 is probably the most balanced bracket.

and they cant even balance that right nvm 1v1
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue

As you ironically and implicitly point out, having more honor kills doesn't mean you are more capable of intelligent debate.

not saying that to u

btw, yeah, i'am bored to see people talking about what they do not know, they don't arena, but they know what's best for people that do, same for bg, duel, etc
Reply Quote
While in theory this sounds fun, the game just isn’t balanced around 1v1, not even 2v2, 3v3 is probably the most balanced bracket.
With 1v1, you could have fights that could last indefinitely, specs that wouldn’t work, everyone would probably have to switch to damage dealing specs or tanking specs (imagine double healers facing each other).

I think you should make it as it could be a very good way to practice. I dont like duels because there isnt anything outside SW where i could LoS or just kite. With this 1v1 arena you can learn a lot about positioning and moving in the arena. Yeah it wont be balanced, but who cares? If u dont like the fight you just leave the battle and thats all. I think its a good idea.

Or just make some stones to SW so in the duels we can los without moving to nagrand arena...
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
As you probably know 2v2 already has some restrictions when it comes to the rewards you can get from it exactly for the very same reason, so I wouldn’t expect 1v1 anytime soon.

But thanks for the suggestion, I do understand where this comes from, it's fun to duel, it really is, but that's why we have the duel option, but we must recognize that duelling has no place in Arenas as the game works right now, this doesn't mean that it will never happen, just that we don't currently have any plans for it, if one day we do, I’m sure that will only happen if circumstances change drastically and somehow we manage to balance PvP across all brackets with a radical new approach to it.

I know this is especially bothersome to those of you who really enjoy playing alone and prefer the 1on1 competitiveness of PvP, just like some people prefer to only do 1vs1 in RTS games, I know that some players are so competitive that when you win, you want to know that it was 100% because of you and only you and not because of your teammate, it’s nice to have total control over the fight, I get that, but still we can't put 1v1 in arenas unless we feel it’s equivalent to all the other brackets, and as I said, at the moment we don’t even feel 2v2 is equivalent to 3v3 or 5v5.

Why dont you find a way of making it so Healers cant do 1v1 Arenas?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
I really support this too. And i really dont see the drawbacks to be that relevant:

Balancing doesnt seem like an issue as the other brackets arent balanced either if you take every possible comp into account (Enhancement Shaman + Survival Hunter + Holy Priest competitive in 3s? Or is 3*dps?). You cant play with everyone anyway as there is a need to have a 'good' or synergetic comp when you do 2s or 3s. The need to find the right partner is gone, as to find a partner in general.

Even better, with a controlled 1v1 environment you would finally have the tools to do the 1v1 balancing, b/c you are able to data mine for statistics ... which class wins the most, who beats who etc. So might be able to finally balance for 1v1 ... which most ppl are asking for anyway.

Regarding specs being irrelevant: Same applies in other brackets: ... 2 healers wont work in 2v2 either. Surely, in general healers could indeed lead to endless games in 1v1. But tbh, hardly anyone seriously(!) duels in durotar with healing spec. You could maybe rule out non-dps specs for 1v1 in general (although it seems a bit harsh). Or you finally downtone healing in pvp so they are killable by a single dps.

Finally i think it should just be tried out. Ppl decide if they go for it or not. 5v5 being balanced also doesnt help its popularity as hardly anyone plays it. In the end all that matters is if the player go for it or not. And i will boldly predict that 1v1 matches will easily make up for 90% of all arena matches played once it would go live - I would at least be very surprised if not. Most ppl are simply self-focussed and self-competitive, thats why ppl duel in Durotar. And it also converts to other sport. See Tennis, Boxing or whatever. Doubles in tennis are much less of importance than singles. Ppl just want to find out who is the best tennis player, boxer or whatever ...

So just do it ... ill definitely be spending my time there, despite any possible imbalance.
Reply Quote
19/11/2012 16:18Posted by Phalhunt
1v1 pvp, really? cant kill anything that heals for stupidly high %'s
blizzard can just add a debuff that will stack up to 10 with 10 or 20% per stack like flagcarries in bg
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]