8th Anniversary - "Get out there and defend..."

MVP
90 Gnome Priest
20/11/2012 00:08Posted by Vicetroth
I'm sure he has no doubt that Blizzard did not do this intentionally or to dishearten the community.

And I agree, which is why I fail to understand why people can't see past the mistake and appreciate the letter for the sentimental value it was meant to give.

I mean, why go down the path of being frustrated, angry, and what not, if you acknowledge it was an honest mistake? That seems like a weird reaction to me.

Even the idea that you would think Blizzard intentionally chose not to update the letter, or desired to dishearten the community, that seems very foreign to me. I mean, why would they do that?

So ultimately, should you not always end up with the thought: "It was probably just a mistake" and then forgive it as such? Mistakes happen, right?

You do seem to be starting an argument for no apprent reason. So you don't think this thread is significant? You think people on this thread are "over-reacting"? Leave then. I certainly would; however I did feel slightly bemused as to the letter, therefore I had a reason to stay. People are entitled to their own opinions and values: It's called free speech. Therefore just because you are writing in a dashing shade of green does NOT give you the power to dismiss others opinions, no matter if you think they, or the resulting feelings, are 'insignificant'.

See this is why I feel it's very difficult to just leave as you suggest, because it's very difficult to not respond to something you feel is not right (for a lack of better words).
You're saying I dismiss people's opinions as insignificant. But that's not what I've said. What I've said is that my opinion on the subject is that it's insignificant (why make such a big fuzz out of such a small thing?). There is a difference. What I've said in regards to other people's opinions is that I think they're overreacting. I haven't dismissed them.
Specifically, I said this:
18/11/2012 04:15Posted by Jito
I did state my opinion of the subject: It is insignificant. And from that I derived my opinion on certain people's reaction to it: It's an overreaction.

You've shown a complete lack of empathy towards the players on this thread. Reading your posts I, personally, would look back on them with slight contempt as to what made me so compelled to write such inappropriate garbage.

See this is an attempt to dismiss pretty much everything I've said, is it not?
I find it slightly weird that people get so upset that I used, for example, the phrase "Haters gonna hate" and the word "butthurt", but then at the same time don't hold their own language to the standard they preach when responding to me.
It's probably the green text, but even then, it seems a bit hypocritical.
MVP
90 Gnome Priest
(I'll just repost this for you Twizelbang, since it's a new page now. Greenify it too!)
Some nice information

Published on 19 Nov 2012 by WorldofWarcraft

World of Warcraft turns eight on November 23, and we'd like to thank our amazing community for joining us in celebrating eight epic years of adventure. To celebrate, players who log in to World of Warcraft between November 18 and December 1 will receive a unique Feat of Strength achievement and Celebration Package item. Using your item will kick off the celebrations by shooting off fireworks*, applying a (cosmetic only) tabard to your character, and granting an 8% bonus to experience and reputation gains from any enemies defeated while active.

We look forward to another year of adventures ahead and many more to come!

*Use fireworks responsibly. Harmful or fatal if swallowed. If fireworks get in eyes, rinse in muddy pond water for 20 minutes, /dance, and contact your nearest Mistweaver, Priest, Shaman, Druid, or Paladin.

Blue post / US Forums:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7178648344?page=21#407

Nice video:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqBkUqOMacA&feature=youtu.be

Edit: Jito ( MVP ) - found the link.
( I thought i would link again, so it doesn't get lost )
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm sure he has no doubt that Blizzard did not do this intentionally or to dishearten the community.

And I agree, which is why I fail to understand why people can't see past the mistake and appreciate the letter for the sentimental value it was meant to give.

I mean, why go down the path of being frustrated, angry, and what not, if you acknowledge it was an honest mistake? That seems like a weird reaction to me.

Even the idea that you would think Blizzard intentionally chose not to update the letter, or desired to dishearten the community, that seems very foreign to me. I mean, why would they do that?

So ultimately, should you not always end up with the thought: "It was probably just a mistake" and then forgive it as such? Mistakes happen, right?.

You do seem to be starting an argument for no apprent reason. So you don't think this thread is significant? You think people on this thread are "over-reacting"? Leave then. I certainly would; however I did feel slightly bemused as to the letter, therefore I had a reason to stay. People are entitled to their own opinions and values: It's called free speech. Therefore just because you are writing in a dashing shade of green does NOT give you the power to dismiss others opinions, no matter if you think they, or the resulting feelings, are 'insignificant'.

See this is why I feel it's very difficult to just leave as you suggest, because it's very difficult to not respond to something you feel is not right (for a lack of better words).
You're saying I dismiss people's opinions as insignificant. But that's not what I've said. What I've said is that my opinion on the subject is that it's insignificant (why make such a big fuzz out of such a small thing?). There is a difference. What I've said in regards to other people's opinions is that I think they're overreacting. I haven't dismissed them.
Specifically, I said this:

18/11/2012 04:15Posted by Jito
I did state my opinion of the subject: It is insignificant. And from that I derived my opinion on certain people's reaction to it: It's an overreaction.

You've shown a complete lack of empathy towards the players on this thread. Reading your posts I, personally, would look back on them with slight contempt as to what made me so compelled to write such inappropriate garbage.

See this is an attempt to dismiss pretty much everything I've said, is it not?
I find it slightly weird that people get so upset that I used, for example, the phrase "Haters gonna hate" and the word "butthurt", but then at the same time don't hold their own language to the standard they preach when responding to me.
It's probably the green text, but even then, it seems a bit hypocritical.

See now this is better, and I can actually agree with some of what you've said up there (Not all, some). I still hold firm my evaluation of some of your posts. But seriously think about it, people wouldn't just slander or attack you for no reason, especially if it's a fair few players. That should tell you something.

Some people have blown this way out of proportion, on that I can agree. Insignificant? That is one's opinion.

Blizzard will fix it soon with some sparkiling new words and this will all (hopefully) be forgotten about.

GG.
Edited by Vicetroth on 20/11/2012 01:45 GMT
90 Blood Elf Priest
19/11/2012 18:52Posted by Jito
Everybody report this and move on. This guy is clearly trolling.

What's trollish about it? -_-

I said why I believed the issue hadn't been corrected in an instant.
I said the issue was rather insignificant in the first place, considering that even if it was corrected, then it would be more or less the same message.
And then I said if you feel the need to vent a lot of frustration and anger about it, then it's because – in my opinion – you're intent on being frustrated and angry in the first place.

Now you tell me, on what basis do you report that post for trolling? Could it be that you are perhaps a bit....you know...? :P

The whole of the "being butthurt" and people "qqing" comes across as a troll. That or a complete jerk.
90 Blood Elf Priest
Maybe Deathwing's death was only a set back?

He wouldn't be the first boss who was "dead".
85 Tauren Paladin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqBkUqOMacA&feature=plcp
Edited by Cowtaclysm on 20/11/2012 06:51 GMT
90 Worgen Druid
im disgusted also by this lack of effort. i meen this is an official game, not a privately hosted 1. they really should have updated the letter. to hell with the gift.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I wont get into a debate but...

Why are you expecting anything? You are paying to play the game not for a little pet once a year.

Its great Blizzard has lasted so long and given us all amazing moments in gaming, so dont !@#$% and also its their birthday they shouldn't be giving you anything, you should be giving them something :P
- World of Warcraft
90 Gnome Mage
20/11/2012 07:21Posted by Freekshow
im disgusted also by this lack of effort. i meen this is an official game, not a privately hosted 1. they really should have updated the letter. to hell with the gift.

They've already said that the letter was a bug and in the meantime they have given us http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqBkUqOMacA&feature=g-all-u to say thank you, and as I said before, in my opinion a video says more work to me than an updated letter.
90 Dwarf Warrior
I wont get into a debate but...

Why are you expecting anything? You are paying to play the game not for a little pet once a year.

Its great Blizzard has lasted so long and given us all amazing moments in gaming, so dont !@#$% and also its their birthday they shouldn't be giving you anything, you should be giving them something :P

And with your comment you just entered the debate. But seriously, I think alot of people didn't even expect anything to be given. Atleast I wasn't. But Blizzard did decide to give something, but this "anniversary package" has very minimal use for max level players. And in my honest opinion, if you want to give something, then give something that has equal use for leveling characters and max level characters.

A great way would be to let the rep increase count towards the daily quests, I just can't really grasp why Blizzard did not do this.
90 Blood Elf Monk
Everyone saying we should be grateful for what we have.

Let us remember what happened not too long ago. The pre-event to Mists of pandaria.
Scenario: Theramore's Fall.

Remember the hatred the community gave for that. The community gave such a backlash of annoyance and disappointment as they did right through the middle - end of cataclysm.

This letter, pretty much should've been blizzards redemption for all the stuff we've had to put up with and yes i did say that, coz thats how i feel the last few months before MoP was released has been like.
For the customers who were loyal, didn't buy an annual pass but continued to subscribe out of their own will (ie not locked into a contract they've paid for so are stuck here) it's pretty much an insult to us that we don't get some form of recognition for WoW not losing 4million subscribers in a month instead of just the 2.
90 Night Elf Rogue
Well, after 8 years I lost my "lovely feelings" about WOW customer services. Pay, play and S@*U. Forget the times when the servers were down, forget the times where the patches created havoc, in a short "Resistance is futile".
Happy Birthday Vivendi Universal\Blizzard Activision\Blizzard Ent.\Battle Net\WoW.
Edited by Asashiryu on 20/11/2012 10:17 GMT
85 Night Elf Hunter
Well, business today, as I see it, is all about how to get maximum income with minimum effort. Blizzard follows that same trail like most other companies. There is no personal warmth out there anymore; just money-sucking, cynical business. I have learned not to expect anything genuine where business is involved except for greed...and more greed.
87 Blood Elf Hunter
I found it a bit entertaining but, im lvling 3 alts atm and the 8%xp is all i care about...
90 Human Priest
Watching the video that looks back on the past 8 years of World of Warcraft, it is rather disturbing to notice that I played this game nearly 7 years of them, if not more.

It's a very nice compilation to relive the feelings I had when playing the original game and it's expansions. Vanilla and TBC were simply awesome. Nothing will ever beat the epic joy that these first two releases brought to me.
After that, I got used to the game and it's mechanics, and even the biggest of mobs simply felt like numerical entities that deal a bit more damage and have some more hp. That can't be helped if you've played the game as long as I have. Perhaps others can understand where I'm coming from.

Keeping the latter in mind, I still believe that ever since halfway WotLK, that feeling has diminished more than would be the case by simply playing the game longer than most. The cause is curiously easy: there is no more (sense of) community.
All my friends migrated or quit the game. My server is pretty much dead, but I enjoy the quiet. Still, I can't just go out into the world and have some fun time playing with others, since everyone is so reserved. I blame x-realm, but the fact remains that the sense of community is long gone. I noticed this in Cata and I notice it in MoP.

The expansions themselves are truly awesome in terms of gameplay, ambience, content, new mechanics etc. What's really mitigating my gaming experience, is the lack of people to enjoy the content with, since playing with others has become so superficial, at least in my experience.

Enough of the one thing that mitigates my gameplay. I still very much love the game, especially the previous expansions. I hope that the developers will continue to add questlines with a good story behind it, even if the quest objectives remain the same: kill 10, collect 15 etc...
I'd be a very happy player if we'd see a future quest reminiscent to the Linken quest chain back in Un'goro Crater as well as You Are Rakh'likh, Demon, an epic quest chain in old Blasted Lands. Both quests are now obsolete.

Pandaria should hold plenty of secrets for players to discover. I'd think of the Lorewalkers giving the player a simple quest to search for a relic, which turns out to be of high importance to the mogu, leading to an epic quest line of finding the relic before the mogu do and then keeping it safe while the mogu give chase. Much like the current quest given by the Golden Lotus in the Vale of Eternal Blossoms: Battle Axe of the Thunder King. Besides that, this new continent should hold many, many more secrets, that I'd love to learn more about.
MVP
90 Human Death Knight
I like kittens.

http://new.livestream.com/accounts/398160/events/1594566
Edited by Doomsinger on 20/11/2012 11:49 GMT
Community
The wording in the letter was indeed unintended, and we're sorry about that. Sadly it's not something we can hotfix at this point.

We appreciate your feelings on this, but please try to keep things civilised and in the spirit of the event, it's a happy occasion after all :)

We put together a short video looking back on the main events of the past eight years of World of Warcraft which you can see here if you haven't done so already: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/blog/6534948/
85 Human Paladin
20/11/2012 11:28Posted by Takralus
The wording in the letter was indeed unintended, and we're sorry about that. Sadly it's not something we can hotfix at this point.
Well, in that case I demand jelly and ice-cream instead!
Community
20/11/2012 11:35Posted by Andrai
Well, in that case I demand jelly and ice-cream instead!

Oh I'm down for that, om nom :D
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]