Cheating in game

90 Orc Warrior
Dear Blizzard

I know you've probably gotten tens and thousands of complaints regarding this issue, because frankly, I can not see how you haven't. The amount of botters in the game has just exploded in the last two expansions since I started playing back in TBC. In case you're unfamiliar with the term "botters" this basically means a person using a third party program to do the playing for them. It's not that I actually think you haven't heard about it, but you guys can really make a man start wondering!

Like myself, everyone else is paying a monthly fee to play this game. A mmorpg! Just considering that fact it's insane that late night battlegrounds or questing areas consists more or less of only bots these days. Nobody that is paying good money to play PvP or to be a social player accepts that we find our self's side by side with a bunch of bots instead. I won't even go into the auction house aspect of this problem because there would be so much to write I don't even dare to think about all of it... But I really pity anyone who has to compete with a computer program that runs tirelessly 24/7 and couldn't care less if it sells all the materials on ah for less then a repair bill combined.

You have all the means necessary to counter his issue. It is your own game for crying out loud! So what solution did you end up chosing with all the possibilities out there? Well basically you don't do anything about it. Sure people can be a good samaritan and report anyone they suspect (or know for a fact is botting if we're gonna be straight forward here) and hope you might do something about it. But what happens? Yes, you "investigate" the problem and check the suspected account. And IF it turns out they're caught by your employees, all you do is suspend their account and send them a e-mail telling them how to get their account back right afterwards. All they have to do is send a identification certificate and a confirmation that they have cleaned their hard drives of malicious software, and voalá. I can hardly believe they have their account back in a matter of hours and are ready to continue botting again the following night. I mean seriously blizzard o.O

You should know the majority of people botting now days isn't accounts that are hacked to earn money for goldsellers. Most bots now is just lazy players that can't bother about leveling characters or professions by them self's, so they get a program that can do the job while they go to sleep or work. And who gets punished for this? Everyone else! Everyone trying to enjoy the game. A game that is suppose to be a mmorpg!

It is about time you really do something about this problem, because it has escalated to the point where the quality of the game has reach a new low-point. There are so many things you could do with all the power and information you possess. Just something as simple like rewinding all the XP, gold, profession skills, gear and anything else the account caught botting has obtained while logged on from it's last IP adress or what ever. You don't even do that!! If someone managed to level 2-3-4-5 classes to max level by using a third party program @ the same IP adress, they shouldn't get away with a little smack on the fingers and a short timeout. Seriously, the punishment for using bots in WoW doesn't even come close to justify the crime. It's all ended up becoming a big joke.

If you really find this to be such a hard problem to tackle, I wouldn't have any issues suspending the bots on sight myself if only given the job. I would do it with the utmost pleasure...

Thank you for your attention.
Edited by Jeksel on 27/11/2012 06:12 GMT
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
84 Dwarf Shaman
Your ignorance astounds me. You fail to realize that not only is there a perfectly functioning search feature located in the upper right corner of this page, but also that you think everything will just vanish after snorting fairy dust. You're obviously judging your feedback on speculation rather than seeing what it takes to beat cheaters, how many there are, and how easily they can change their ways of being detected. By all means, get a job with them, but first, know your enemy. Right now, you clearly haven't a clue.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
I did not write this to you, sir. And it has nothing to do with ignorance, the problem is 100% fixable if they only start making it less attractive to cheat - like rewinding all xp, skills, gold, gear ect the botters have obtained. That alone would be a huge step in the right direction! The only thing astounding here is your naivety and how you defend something everyone should know you're pulling out off you ***. Please enlighten me, how much programming experience do you have? What game development team are you working for? In what ways did you try to attack this problem, if at all. None? Oh, that's wired you seemed like you actually knew what you're talking about, guess not.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Now here's a nice example of pot blaming kettle.....

But I do have to agree with Jorros, there are only a couple of thousand other threads about this, in which all almost everybody completely and comfortably ignores any common sense that agrees with Blizzard and that it's not so easy to fix as everyone keeps claiming.

Usually the most simple explanation tends to be the correct one. In this case: if it really were SO easy to get rid of bots and cheaters, Blizzard would have already done so long ago...
Edited by Aerea on 27/11/2012 14:23 GMT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Oh, and if you are aiming for Blue attention: you already know that IF there is any response, it will be the same as it always is...
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Fair enough. But you do realize as of now getting caught botting has no consequence at all, right? All they get is get a smack on the fingers and then they get to keep all the bonus they have obtained while cheating. Starting to rewind the profit or something similar would be the very simplest form of making a clear statement. They haven't even done that much. There are many games where cheating = perma ban. Blizzard sits on all the information they need to determine if you have been hacked or if you've been botting yourself.

Edit: No my only aim is to get heard. Every costumer has a voice and I want to make myself loud and clear. Whether blizzard reply me or not - the only response I really want to see is in actions, not words.
Edited by Jeksel on 27/11/2012 14:38 GMT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
"All they get is get a smack on the fingers and then they get to keep all the bonus they have obtained while cheating."

I feel this is based on assumption. As far I know, big ban waves, are like permanent bans.
Got any source for this? Or were my assumptions correct that you were only assuming?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Yea those big ban waves must have been really big. Guess that's why there are more bots in the game now then ever. Even more bots then actual players at night time. In a team consisting of 15 players @ a battleground, you'll be lucky if you're 1 of 2 players who are real people, rest is all bots. Same goes for the bigger bg's. And "as far as you know those ban waves being permanent bans" seems like just assumptions too... I know first hand they only get suspended and not perma banned because I have been so lucky to talk to a few botters I have caught in game. What is your source? Now I'm not gonna defend my post against every new comment that ticks in because you either agree or disagree. I didn't write this post to convince anyone who defends blizzard to do otherwise. You have a good day now! Bye :)
Edited by Jeksel on 27/11/2012 15:13 GMT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Getting caught botting has the consequence of a closed account. In case of several WoW accounts on one BN-account it is also possible to get the entire BN-account closed. The only "problem" at the moment is that Blizzard takes their time between ban waves, meaning everyone thinks nothing is happening. The other penalties such as shorter or longer suspensions are only used for violations less severe than botting.

And I know, because I lost several accounts to botting. Back in 2008 I lost all my accounts and characters, even ones I did not use a bot on, but they were linked. And it was exactly what should have happened because I broke the rules. Since then I play without "help" and what do youm know: I actually started to enjoy the game...

So I know from actual experience what consequences botting has. There are always a few lucky basterds that slip through the net and there are also a lot of people that claim to never get caught even though they are or have never used a bot at all. But those stories stick, because it is what people want to hear and can use to blame Blizzard.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
27/11/2012 15:03Posted by Jeksel
I have been so lucky to talk to botters I have caught in game.

Wow, those must have been some advanced bots then, if you got to talk to them...

Anyway, not defending Blizzard, just applying common sense.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Wow, those must have been some advanced bots then, if you got to talk to them...

Anyway, not defending Blizzard, just applying common sense.

You do realize not everyone is using mass botting to run 10 wow accounts at the same time right? Many botters are just afk while watching tv or doing work as their computer is leveling the alts for them. But when I have to explain even that I see this discussion is truly pointless, obviously you have no imagination to how bots are being used these days.
Edited by Jeksel on 27/11/2012 15:24 GMT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
27/11/2012 15:03Posted by Jeksel
Yea those big ban waves must have been really big. Guess that's why there are more bots in the game now then ever. Even more bots then actual players at night time. In a team consisting of 15 players @ a battleground, you'll be lucky if you're 1 of 2 players who are real people, rest is all bots. Same goes for the bigger bg's. And "as far as you know those ban waves being permanent bans" seems like just assumptions too... I know first hand they only get suspended and not perma banned because I have been so lucky to talk to a few botters I have caught in game. What is your source? Now I'm not gonna defend my post against every new comment that ticks in because you either agree or disagree. I didn't write this post to convince anyone who defends blizzard to do otherwise. You have a good day now! Bye :)

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3295260546
Such banwaves ain't regular suspensions mate. So basisly your assumption of smack of the finger is plain wrong. Also, your last line suggests im defending blizzard, another assumption. As others mentioned, we're trying to apply common sense in this. But yea, ignore common sense and go your way then. You have a good day too now! Bye!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]