I'm a clicker

67 Draenei Shaman
But I've come to the point where I want to do some serious PvP on my Resto Druid and I'm not reacting as fast as I should.

I have my all my healing spells bound to my mouse with Clique and when I have an enemy targeted I click on my defensive abilities.
It works in 5-man PvE but in PvP when I need to shape shift to create distance or use a cat/bear ability or even turn around to root or dot someone, I see that I'm giving the enemy to much time to react to that.
I feel I could do that faster and I would take a lot less damage.

Anyway, I have been searching the web for keybinding guides, but all I found so far are guides that tell you to move with wsad or you need a Naga mouse or alot of add ons.
But I don't want that.
I only want to use my mouse for movement.

I'm looking for a guide that will teach me how to shape shift quickly, use let's say "claw" in cat form with the same keyboard button I use "lifeblood" in caster form and how I can use healing spells on someone without having to tab everyone.

Thank you in advance
Reply Quote
Community
Hi Quanita,

I think what you're looking for is the conditional that enables you to to use an ability based on your current form (stance).

So I assume something like this should work:
/cast [stance:1] Insert_bear_form_ability; [stance:3] Insert_cat_form_ability; [stance:5] Insert_caster_form_ability;

I can't really test this right now but it should work, anyway, you get the idea and that's what's important.

The [stance:1] part will make the macro check if you're in Bear form, if you are it will cast whatever you write in front of it (replace "Insert_bear_form_ability" with the ability you want) .
If you're in cat form, it will cast whatever you put in front of [stance:3].

So feel free to add the abilities that you need on the same button and hopefully this should work. I'm sure other players will give you other examples that will also work. If not, I'll try to test this and give you a better example.
Reply Quote
Community
Also, here's a nice thread with a lot of useful suggestions from other players if you want some help with stopping your “clicking habits”.
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/5208515702
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Hey, many people struggle with the switch over from clicking, once used to do it myself years ago. So with that in mind I started doing videos for my guild etc, my latest one is about keybinds/macros maybe it can help you...

youtube channel with my videos - http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxnwANwNZNw6gB6qxAwtrDQ?feature=results_main

hope it helps :)
Reply Quote
67 Draenei Shaman
Thank you.
I haven't had a chance to watch all of the video, but I will later tonight.
Also just started a new char, I think that will be easier to learn and memorize the key binds.So when the char hits cat and bear form I will try it out.

As for healing large groups like bg's, is there another faster way to target team members then alt tabbing? Or is it in that case better to click on their name?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
I personally have different actionbars for cat/out of form/bear.

ctrl 1-5 for forms
1 2 3 4 5 6 e q r all solid keybinds for core abilities
Shift 1 2 3 4 5 E Q for my offensive cooldowns
alt 1 2 3 4 5 E Q for defensive cooldowns

mouse button 3 for cyclone focus
mouse button 3 + shift for direct cyclone
c for typhoon.

Thats all i rembember from on top of head, rest is in the fingers.
Other keybinds I have
F, V, H, R, T
Alt+F, V, H, R
Shift+F, V, H, R
Tab.

Takes tons of getting used to when it comes to pvp, I suggest binding everything to keys that match your fingers well and then go a day in battlegrounds where you focus on not clicking at all. Will take some getting used to, but in time you will improve so much as a player.

For macros I suggest you use, http://www.wowwiki.com/Useful_Macros_for_Druids
Will give a good idea on how macros work and how to set them up.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I'm rather familiar with Macro's such as this, but as I own a naga I've become somewhat stubborn to not using macro's and just using a multitude of keybinds (80+). I would like this to change though, so I have a question for Taepsilum and the rest of the WOW Community.

If I was to create a macro such as that, that Taepsilum has mentioned, but amended as that below... (For Example)

#showtooltip
/cast [stance:1] Mangle; [stance:3] Rake; [stance:5] Rejuvenation

Would this then show the relevant ability depending on my stance?

I'm not able to test this as I'm not at home, for the next couple of weeks but this is an approach I would love to take to tidy my UI somewhat

If anyone is able to test/confirm this, it would be great. I believe this would also help the OP

Regards,
Dhiaga
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I will give you three methods that probably help a lot!

What you need is memorization. Muscle memory. You can achieve this using any combination of the below methods. I used a combination of 2 and 3.

1) The gentle slope method - you add 5 actions to your action bar, and you don't even allow yourself to click anything else. Every time you die, you take a look at your spellbook and you say "What would've saved me there?" When you know, you keybind that ability. By doing this you usually put the most important spells close to WASD, which is good.

2) The category method - Bind your spells in categories and place them in a location that makes "sense". Sprints above WASD, defensive CD's below, CC's with the shift modifier, focus target CC with the alt modifier (but the same button), shapeshifting forms on the mouse wheel and side buttons and so on. Give it structure and character - make it just ... make sense. It's easier to memorize that way.

3) The hidden bar method - Keybind everything according to either of the principles above, but hide your action bar. (In the case of the original UI, use bars 3, 4, 5 for keybinds and hide them) Now, put cooldowns on your new "cooldown bar" you can always see. By hiding your keybinds and allowing yourself to easily glance at all your cooldowns for all your stances at once, you very quickly end up not only memorizing your buttons - because you have to - but you also get a completely new advantage in the form of a very powerful cooldown tracking system that works for any class.

Macros are needed for almost all these methods. I would definitely recommend reading Wowpedia.com - they have a guide for making macros and even lots of helpful example macros.

Oh yea... and nothing wrong with using Grid, Clique etc. It is, in fact, better than keybinding as a raid healer.
Edited by Ishaye on 21/11/2012 20:09 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter

As for healing large groups like bg's, is there another faster way to target team members then alt tabbing? Or is it in that case better to click on their name?

I know that you said that you don't want to use addons but imho, the best way to handle healing of large groups is using one of the raid frame addons. Specially in PvP.
You could try vuhdo it is one of the best out there. Even though I'm a DPS I use it in random BGs so that I can easily Masters call or Roar of Sacrifice the flag carrier.
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
90 Troll Warlock
Hey Quanita! :)

Having been anon-clicker from the start, I've been optimalizing my binds ever since. I feel they're now at peak efficiency, and I'd like to share with you how I've set it up. Everything is set up to be the closest to a finger, so that there is no traveltime (in terms of finger) to reach an important key(ability).

I'll list up the buttons and their respective modifiers that I use;

1-5; modifiers - Alt, Ctrl, Shift
Q, E, C, X, Z; Modifiers - Alt, Ctrl, Shift
F, T; Modifiers - Shift, Ctrl

I of course do realize that key binds is a matter of personal preference, but since you were asking I'll setup how I'd use it as a resto druid. :-)

As your thumb is between X, V and Space, I've bound C to be something you use often, say Nourish for example. X and V are both pretty adjacent, so they can be anything. Shift+C is another ability that'll work well with something that you don't have to do all that often.

1-5 I have reserved for the go-to healing spells like Regrowth, Rejuvenation, Lifebloom, Wild Growth and Cenarion Ward. Alt+1-5 I have reserved for movement abilities, and mostly shapeshifts / Wild Charge.

Shift+1-5 is utiliy (battle rez), and Ctrl+1-5 is defensive / some raid specific macros.

the Q row is for healing cooldowns, like the barkskins, tranq. natures swiftness, whereas on the E side I have the a bit more offensive ones like cyclone etc. I also put Healing Touch on Alt+E, since it's not exactly something I'm spamming.

There are addons you can use that will allow your actionbars to act depending on what stance you're in - this saves you the effort of making the macros to do it for you. Also, seing a you asked about targetting - F1-F5 targets the respective members in your group unless it's otherwise bound.
Edited by Alarinth on 21/11/2012 21:45 GMT
Reply Quote
If I was to create a macro such as that, that Taepsilum has mentioned, but amended as that below... (For Example)

#showtooltip
/cast [stance:1] Mangle; [stance:3] Rake; [stance:5] Rejuvenation

Would this then show the relevant ability depending on my stance?

I'm not able to test this as I'm not at home, for the next couple of weeks but this is an approach I would love to take to tidy my UI somewhat

If anyone is able to test/confirm this, it would be great. I believe this would also help the OP

Regards,
Dhiaga

Yes. The #showtooltip line 'triggers' for the first spell that meets all its conditionals.

Either use an addon, or do as I do, use mouseover macros.

An example:

#showtooltip
/use [@mouseover,help][]Healing Touch

It casts Healing Touch on a friendly mouseover, and if you don't have a friendly mouseover it casts on your target (or yourself).
Edited by Zhell on 21/11/2012 22:28 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
21/11/2012 22:27Posted by Zhell
Yes. The #showtooltip line 'triggers' for the first spell that meets all its conditionals.

Thanks Zhell,

You've not only helped me, but this thread will help many people who read this!

@Quanita - Do not be afraid to delve in the world of keybinds - The Method which Ishaye mentioned is a great way to learn.

Another way to learn, which is what I did, is to find a local training dummy, (I would say Ironforge is the best option as it's normally very quiet and perfect for practicing) and as Ishaye said, start with 3 - 5 and build your rotation up through that.

You want to be able to practice your "standard" rotation and your "Cooldowns" rotations.

If your main spec happens to be resto, it can be difficult to do so, unless you heal yourself for a while on SW roof or so, but queue up with some willing guildies and practice with them!

I wish you luck!

/Regards,
/Dhiaga
Reply Quote
8 Human Priest
Maybe some of my keybindings can help u i use a rezer naga with 12 buttens just so u know i change it from 123 to num
http://i.imgur.com/F6sT1.jpg

BTW ignore that im saying i like pie in the pic :/
Reply Quote
67 Draenei Shaman
That's oke. I also like pie!

Thank you all for the tips and advice.
I tried but after a while I gave up.

I just read that a good way to get used to moving with the mouse is to take a toon for a walk from Loranel to Tanaris.
So, I'm going to try that now.
Reply Quote
1 Tauren Druid
The best way I found to practise my keybinds and muscle memory was to just use them. No fancy tactics, ways of doing or learning. Just simply do it.

The most important thing is that you don't fall back to clicking or old ways.

Always try to keybind your most used abilities as close as possible to your movement keys.

Take my monk his keybinds for example:
I move with ASD (S being move forward), though most of the times I hold both mouse buttons to move forward.

I've got my most used abilities (dmging abilities) on Q,W,E so I can easily use them while on the move. 1,2,3 are in the same order: Focus Disable, Disable and trinket. I won't use focus disable a lot, which is why it's on 1. 1 is harder to reach for me due to moving with S so it's a bit further away. 4 is Fists of Fury which I won't use a lot while on the move and 5 is disarm. 5 is further away and a bit harder to reach for me, which is why it's on 5 (and because it's ranged it doesnt require me to be specifically near them).

See my pattern here? Most used amd most important abilities are closer to my movement keys than my more situational abilities.

Also, my healing spheres are on X. X is also a bit more annoying for me to reach than lets say C. Z requires me to use my ring finger to use but while moving that's not optimal (like when moving left, because i'll have to hold off my A key which is strafing left) which is why it's my teleport, which requires a 0.5 sec cast.

TL;DR Place the easier, instant abilities near your movement keys and on keys that are easy to use without limiting your movement.

At least that's how I bind my abilities.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]