Windows 8 - sound stopped working

90 Tauren Druid
Hi all

I upgraded my (fairly new, about 2 months old) computer to Windows 8 last night, and now the sound has stopped working across the entire machine. I have checked using multiple programs (iTunes, YouTube, World of Warcraft, etc) and multiple output devices (speakers and headset), checked the soundcard drivers (Asus Xonar DG 5.1), checked the volume mixer to ensure I wasn't just having a brainfart and had the sound muted, but nothing's working.

Does anyone have any advice on what could be causing this? Please don't reply with "uninstall Windows 8 and go back to 7" - it's unappreciated and unhelpful.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter
Try this...

1. Go into device manager.
2. Uninstall sound card drivers.
3. Refresh the device manager. (Will find your soundcard again, be it a PCI or onboard.)
4. Wait for it to reset things up.
5. Sound should work once again.

I had to do that when my PCI-E X-Fi card decided to not work apart from digital output. Doing those steps made the whole card work once more and was able to get sound again.

Mind you, not sure if that will work for you but in my case it worked for me in my situation.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
If Hoisil's suggestion doesn't work, open control panel > Sound > Playback Tab. You might have multiple devices listed so try changing different ones to default. I had to select a different device as default, then select the original again and set it back to default before it worked, but this is just using the onboard Realtek chipset on my laptop.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
I do not have a solution for you, but, why on earth did you upgrade to windows 8?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]