Let's get rid of the 10 minute stat debuff on ress

90 Worgen Hunter
Lets be honest here, the death penalty when ress at a spirit healer is old. It's build on old ideas about how this game should penalize people who used it to exploid and whatelse not.

Now we're 8 years ahead, graveyards are horrible, guild perks are useless, if you die somewhere up high you're just screwed and if you log off the buff will still be there on login. I won't even start about the "penalty" you get when you die in a raid instance. I think a raid group loses at least 30 minutes of raiding time on corpse running.

Trow us a bone, either fix or change something.
Edited by Kinoo on 26/11/2012 21:33 GMT
Reply Quote
75 Dwarf Shaman
26/11/2012 14:39Posted by Kinoo
I think a raid group loses at least 30 minutes of raiding time on corpse running.

Just move the place where the ghost spawns closer to where the instance is.

26/11/2012 14:39Posted by Kinoo
if you die somewhere up high you're just screwed

Let Ghosts fly to reach that spot then.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Just disable losing all hp - always stay on 1 hp >_>
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Lets be honest here, the death penalty when ress at a spirit healer is old. It's build on old ideas about how this game should penalize people who used it to exploid and whatelse not.

Now we're 8 years ahead, graveyards are horrible, guild perks are useless, if you die somewhere up high you're just screwed and if you log off the buff will still be there on login. I won't even start about the "penalty" you get when you die in a raid instance. I think a raid group loses at least 30 minutes of raiding time on corpse running.

Trow us a bone, either fix or change something.

Removing death penalty? meh. You're thinking too small!
Remove any possibility of dying ever! (actually, do people even still manage to die to mobs?)
Also make it so that all your attacks are triggered automatically and mobs looted automatically!

Let's get it over with already and fully turn this "game" into progress quest but with graphics, it's what people want apparently. ( http://progressquest.com/ )
Edited by Cielina on 26/11/2012 14:56 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
I kind of agree OP.

Personally I think when you die, no matter what level you are You should be automatically flying maybe even at walk speed. Obviously not in the places that disallow flying completely (IQD, Ghostlands etc etc).
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
The big, unanswered question is: why is it even a problem? Dying from mobs on an unreachable place is an edge case (it's surely mobs since the OP is from a carebear realm). If you can't manage to be vaguely careful when you're in a place you know you can't get back to when you die it's your own bloody fault.

Also dying from mobs is shameful in the first place, it's like picking a fight with an inanimate object and losing.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Rogue
I am too stupid to stay on my flying mount.
I always die because I use some sort of stupid keybind like shadowstep that mounts me up for no reason. I can press all the other buttons just fine, only ss dismounting me.
That's why I rolled engi in the long run. Just to stay alive.
Reply Quote
20 Dwarf Paladin
I agree with the "Let ghosts fly" answer. Not because I'm lazy but when dying in an unfamiliar area I've sometimes used half an hour trying to figure out how to find the correct path from the spirit healer to my corpse.
Reply Quote
MVP
100 Gnome Priest
I think the durability loss from dying is fine. It's a good way to get a constant, guaranteed amount of gold out of the economy.

I also think the corpse run is fine. If you are only dying occasionally, the cost related to the durability loss doesn't feel like a penalty. It's not something you really notice unless you're wiping over and over in raids. So the corpse run is a nice way to have a penalty for dying that can be felt every time. It's the run of shame, so to speak, where you get to reflect over your failures :P
The one problem with it is perhaps that it can sometimes be difficult to find your way back to your corpse. That spirit world isn't the easiest world to navigate in. And whilst being able to fly was really nice, it also sort of nullified the purpose of the corse run – that it was a penalty. But it does seem as if there's some room for improvement in regards to actually finding your corpse again.

I also think the delay to resurrect after several deaths is fine. I guess it's there in case players die close to a graveyard or keep getting resurrected by other players, to still ensure that they (eventually) suffer a downtime akin to a corpse run, and prevent that the "I can just zerg it down!"-mentality takes over.

I am not sure if I like the resurrection sickness related to the Spirit Healer. It does feel like a very big punishment for choosing to resurrect out of harm's way. I guess it's meant to be used in case you have tried to solo kill Garrosh in Orgrimmar, and then failed miserably. And then resurrecting at the Spirit Healer is a much better option than going back into that beehive.
The problem with the resurrection sickness is that the duration and the loss of character performance means that you're pretty much unable to do anything for the following 10 minutes. And that's stupid, because it doesn't prevent people from trying. I'm sure we've all tried to join a random dungeon and then see that the tank has resurrection sickness, and then just have to sit there and wait for it to wear off.
I think I'd prefer if the cost for resurrecting at a Spirit Healer was just a far bigger durability loss (50%?), and then perhaps that the Spirit Healer would have to cast the resurrection spell on you (so you'd still have some downtime associated with your death).
Reply Quote
Community
The death of a character should be something important, the death penalty is there to make sure players don’t disregard it, in my opinion it’s actually already too easy and too fast to resurrect.
It’s because of the penalty and the lost time when doing a corpse run, that players will be more cautious about their character.
If you decide to resurrect at the spirit healer, it’s because either your character died in a very weird place (and you should be more careful), or you just don’t want to corpse run.

I think we should all be glad that there’s no experience loss as death penalty, that would probably be a bit too harsh, but I do think we need something to keep death from being meaningless.

We’re always open to good and new ideas of what that might be; as long as it’s not “removal of the death penalty”, feel free to chip in ;)
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
It shouldn't be possible to enter a dungeon or raid using the lfd and lfr tools while having ress sickness.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
I would prefer the removal of the death penalty on full stats (the ress sickness of -75%), and apply a penalty to character movement speed or a penalty on casting speed or something.

That way, you would probably do something while you wait for the sickness to go, better than do nothing or die in front of a mob 2 lower levels than you.

Personally, i would prefer a -2 to -5% exp loss but with your character full stats to keep playing, better than oblige the players to /camp till they get their debuff out. You like them to pay your game for just sit there punished when they are doing wrong. That's so clever...
Reply Quote
23 Gnome Warlock
The only thing I really really hate about dying is the grey world that I float about in
I am sure you could turn that of at one time.

I get lost so easily I need an Azrothian satnav.. for when I am dead in a new area.
sighhh.
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
84 Dwarf Shaman
I agree that death should be a punishment. What's the point in dying at all if you don't think you deserve to be punished? There's no risk when going on a PvP realm, nor is there any reason for people to bother with WPvP if people get back into the fight as soon as they're down and out.

Making the durability of items more punishing; taking a bit of movespeed which stacks; reducing stats by a few percent (but not by 10, 25 or 95%), all this kind of thing. Make death seem so inconvinient that players can't bear to face it again. Never have I seen someone say that they'll quit because of the deaths being too punishing. If they do, that's because they don't know how to play the game. I would teach them, if I knew them well enough to care.

I understand the whole "dying in an obscure place", and yes, it's happened to me a lot in Pandaria. It's irritating, but it makes me think more carefully about when I bound about on a ground mount, or if I happen to think I'll hit the water rather than land, after a huge leap. But if you dismount for an unknown reason, report the bug and you'll have it sorted. If you click a button that'll dismount you, that's your fault entirely. The game didn't swap the buttons around just as you were about to do something else.

So yes, the game is very unfair in some cases. But death is supposed to be punishing; stop dying if you don't want the debuffs and all that malarky.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
ok, time to chip in.

1st - give back or increase the death running speed (The Quick and the Dead Guild Perk). it hurt no one, benefited everyone, and was a good quality of life perk. Cant really say "it was an unintentional feature" or "it was a bug" as it was in the game for an entire expansion (4.03 to 5.05 (I think)) you also cant really state that it was to stop people zerging world bosses (this happens anyway) all you really did was rip the guts out of a perfectly good talent. if we can have it back as 100%, how about 50% or 75% ?

2nd - Flying dead mounts. There are certain areas in the game that you simply cannot walk to, to get to when your dead. Flying dead mounts mounts will fix this and the quick and the dead issue.

These two issues are huge benefit to quality of life and neither hurt anyone.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
I actually agree that rez sickness should be removed. With the exception of a few badly placed graveyard that slip my mind at the moment, I'm fine with most of the death penalties. I'm happy to take an extra durability loss by using the spirit healer. But the 10 minute wait is awful, and not compelling gameplay. And you have to remain logged in as well.

Personally, I'd rather you removed it entirely and increased the durability loss.

Rez sickness is also extremely aggravating when it's not actually your fault, and this does sometimes happen.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
Rez sickness = not a problem
Not being able to get to your body due to lack of ghost flying and having to take rez sickness = a problem that should be fixed.

Simply give the flying ghost mounts we had in cata to every zone, problem solved.
Reply Quote
69 Undead Mage
The death of a character should be something important, the death penalty is there to make sure players don’t disregard it, in my opinion it’s actually already too easy and too fast to resurrect.
It’s because of the penalty and the lost time when doing a corpse run, that players will be more cautious about their character.
If you decide to resurrect at the spirit healer, it’s because either your character died in a very weird place (and you should be more careful), or you just don’t want to corpse run.

I think we should all be glad that there’s no experience loss as death penalty, that would probably be a bit too harsh, but I do think we need something to keep death from being meaningless.

We’re always open to good and new ideas of what that might be; as long as it’s not “removal of the death penalty”, feel free to chip in ;)

i completely agree.. but..

could something be done about people use the rez when they are in a dungeon?
was doing a random the other day in outland, and a rogue rezzed at spririt, causing him to have 10 minute rez sickness, but we couldn't kick him for another 13 minutes :s

make people who use spirit res whenin a dungeon group always kick-able..
Reply Quote
94 Undead Priest
I'd like not to die near the aburetum and have my ghost appear on a spire of rock in the middle ofthe sea with no way back. Seriously why the hell is that spirit healer there
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest

In your humble opinion I guess you mean ;-)

Whilst I am happy with the durability loss for taking a spirit rez, the arbitrary 10 minutes of sickness really needs to go.

Dying in a spot where the graveyard was placed in a dumb place would be one example why, the second is the pack of ganking thundermaws that roam the daily area's and can take down my warlocks void walker(twice) and my rogue in literally seconds xD

But seriously, dying should matter, especially as in a lot of cases it is rare to happen, but rez sickness seems to be a bit superfluous in this day and age, and is an annoying delay to dungeon partners (assuming you are already queued when you die) and continuation of play. The dura loss and time spent getting back to your corpse/quest area is sufficient time to wonder how you might avoid that happening again.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]