Let's get rid of the 10 minute stat debuff on ress

90 Goblin Shaman
Ress sickness needs a new Design instead of just dropping stats imo, something like 'chance on being stunned whilst upon taking damage' as in, do the puking animation or something as your character is ill?

That way you can still quest/do things instead of having to wait 10 minutes because of something bugging out on you, Aka dying somewhere normal and then all of a sudden appearing in The Barrens whilst your body is in the eatern kingdoms?...
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
I agree that it should be felt when you die and use the spirit healer, the only problem I have with ress-sickness is that it isn't something you can do about it in the game. As other's have already said, you're pretty much punished with 10 minutes of "non-gaming".

Every single time I end up with ress-sickness (luckily not as often as I might make it sound) I park myself somewhere, alt-tab and browse the web for a while, which makes it feel like a very strange mechanic, "your punishment for using the spirit healer is 10 minutes of internet explorer (or other favored browser)".

It would be nice if there was something you could do in game about it, challenging the spirit healer to a game of checkers with the hope of reducing the duration or whatever, as long as it's something that doesn't turn the punishment into just "leave the game for 10 minutes" (even if I'm sure some people, myself included, could use the break :) ).
Reply Quote
69 Gnome Warrior
There should be a visible humiliating marker of death. Like, you're surrounded by flies for 10 minutes. Or maybe you should have to eat and drink and sit at a campfire for 20 seconds before you lose the debuff.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
The death of a character should be something important, the death penalty is there to make sure players don’t disregard it, in my opinion it’s actually already too easy and too fast to resurrect.
It’s because of the penalty and the lost time when doing a corpse run, that players will be more cautious about their character.
If you decide to resurrect at the spirit healer, it’s because either your character died in a very weird place (and you should be more careful), or you just don’t want to corpse run.

I think we should all be glad that there’s no experience loss as death penalty, that would probably be a bit too harsh, but I do think we need something to keep death from being meaningless.

We’re always open to good and new ideas of what that might be; as long as it’s not “removal of the death penalty”, feel free to chip in ;)
You know just as well as we do that dying in WoW really isn't anything important; it happens all the time.

Resurrection sickness is stupid, I might as well log out for 10 minutes. Running back and the durability loss are punishment enough. This isn't 1985 anymore where if you died you lost all your progress and had to completely start over.
Edited by Elviryn on 26/11/2012 17:04 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
26/11/2012 15:47Posted by Taepsilum
If you decide to resurrect at the spirit healer, it’s because either your character died in a very weird place (and you should be more careful), or you just don’t want to corpse run.

By "very weird place" you mean large chunks of Panda land especially anywhere near the cloud serpent dailies.
Massively nerfing the Quick and the dead guild perk was just a stupid move and not allowing flying while dead is even worse -.-
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I agree that death is part of the game and it shouldn't be meaningless or with no consequence.

Still, there are some situations in which a fix is needed, especially death in places were one can't reach the corpse by foot, forcing the player to revive in the spirit healer and suffer a penalty. One shouldn't have to deal with such a penalty because of awkward technical limitations (like dying on the top of a cliff, and not being able to reach it, even though you're an astral manifestation of your soul, or a spirit, or whatever). Instead, suffering such penalty should be purely a consequence by choice - because, you know, the whole walk-to-your-corpse thingy and the repairs are already enough justifiable penalties for character death (and I'm perfectly fine with that).
So, I believe the obvious and most straightforward solution to this particular issue would be to make it possible for players to fly anywhere as a spirit, even if at a lower speed but, as obviously as it can be, it's the kind of subject that certainly needs more iteration to it. There's always a middle ground to be found, and I'm sure this mechanic could use more refining to it.

However, as it is, I believe character death bears little relevance and it's just too much of an annoyance, when instead, it could actually be an "active" part of gameplay and, dare I say it, part of the Fun factor.

Simply imagine this: you're doing your fair share of daily quests, and you suddenly got killed by a passing group of players from the opposing faction. That already means losing some precious time by walking around, and a durability loss with a repair bill (besides the awful feeling of helplessness), and even sometimes, you'd actually have to wait for those same players to walk away from your corpse. But, what IF something else could actually happen while you're walking to your corpse?
Imagine if some kind of random event could trigger: some ghostly mobs would attack you; a quest with a lost spirit in need of help; some shaman mob doing a ritual to try and seal your soul (in which you'd have to collect or meet some requirements to get away); etc, etc.
It wouldn't obviously apply to all kinds of death - like for example, PvP, Dungeons and Raids - and it wouldn't also be too much of a time consuming event. Just a quick, sometimes optional, thingy, similarly in flavor to the random sha spawns while digging for archaeology, that could also sometimes reward you with something (either a simple and not too awesome material reward, or simply a temporary quality of life improvement).
Although I'm sure this concept isn't exactly right for everyone, as Fun is a very subjective feeling, it most certainly applies some diversity and interesting bits to the death mechanic, throwing randomness around in the form of "luck", to the unlucky victims - how delightfully ironic is that?

As far as ideas go, that's all for now.
Cheers!

Edit: As far as ress timers go for constant death, I'm perfectly fine with it. Also, as for the 10 minutes sickness goes (and the huge repair bill associated with it), I'd be ok with it IF it wasn't tied to the limitations I explained above, AND if people wouldn't be able to join dungeons and stuff with it (I say join because, the way I see it, we could very well queue with the debuff, just not actually be able to accept and join should it still be active).
Edited by Galogon on 26/11/2012 17:38 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Maybe rather than changing the dying penalty change the way gear repair works.
Exp decay on death is a mechanism a lot of MMO's have tried, even WOW did in vanilla beta, this might be a reasonable penalty for lower levels, causing people to actually carefully plan what to do on a quest before running in like a mad man.
Exp loss at max level seems to be a bad idea for level cap and would cause weird over geared twinks. However lets look at the repair system.
All items could have 100% durability, and 1% is lost on a death, non to very little is lost via combat.
Items from raids/heroics could be "disenchanted" with a new profession/secondary into "spare parts". These spare parts would recoup up to 100% durability on the same kind of item, possibly more like 50-75%. Of course you could switch the gear around, but that would require new enchants/gems e.t.c. Enchanters could also receive shards from these to prevent enchanting market price hike. If an item hit 0% it would not be destroyed, the same as today, and could still be repaired, would simply have to be bagged until a repair kit was obtained. Repair kits could be BoP or BoE seeing as the actual item would have to be obtained to repair, so it wouldn't allow BoP gear on the AH. This could also apply to lower levels as most items would be replaced before 100 deaths.
This would also slow new raid progression, extending patch content, as replacement gear would have to be farmed or "test" gear set would be used to try raid boss attempts first.
A generic repair kit could be rewarded from bosses as well, which repair a small amount of armor...
Clicking a repair vendor + hitting repair all isn't that much of a penalty for death imo.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
How come the durability loss includes items in my inventory? Just for the shear fact that i carry around gear to heal dungeons for my guild means i have to pay another 60g for ressing at the graveyard?
If you want to make it a goldsink, i'm fine with that, but dont give me a penalty for being flexible towards playing in a group. That makes no sence to me given the fact this game should be about grouping up and enjoying it along with others?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I thought this was about the actual death penalty :/
Reply Quote
I think the durability loss from dying is fine. It's a good way to get a constant, guaranteed amount of gold out of the economy.

Yet to 'combat' these costs to wiping (and hence tried to make Raiding more interesting to more people) they have over the years:

- introduced Dailies;

- introduced the Xp-to-Gold conversion for Expansion Capped characters;

- introduced a Guild Perk to essentially create extra gold out of nothing (Cash Flow);

- introduced a Guild Perk to lower the Durability costs.

No offense, but Durability loss has become rather meaningless with all the free gold floating about (and some of the measures above completely wreck the economy in case ppl choose to do non-wiping activities, period) , for plenty of people it just means hitting 'ze golden anvil' and that's it.

Frankly, if it were up to me, I'd remove Durability completely - it has little or no purpose left in the game, with all the Heirlooms (levelling) and overflowing gold (level cap) - and get rid of the measures above instead, in order to bring back some resembalnce of a healthy economy back.

The Death Penalty in WoW is pretty lenient already, especially compared to other games (let alone PnP games), I don't have any real issues with it.

More Ghost Flight has of course its conveniencies (and given the 'sinkholes' that can crop in some environments not entirely a luxury) but frankly, apart from the above, I'd rather see the Rez Timer lowered, if you're getting camped it can be very frustrating to have to wait 2 minutes (an iceage in PvP terms) before you can rez.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
26/11/2012 16:25Posted by Ragnell
I'd like not to die near the aburetum and have my ghost appear on a spire of rock in the middle ofthe sea with no way back. Seriously why the hell is that spirit healer there

Face the spirit healer
Turn 45% left
Jump into(onto) sea
Run towards the cliffs on right hand side and follow around to the right
Run up ramp of land back to Arboreum.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Res sickness is such an archaic mechanic. You are already penalised at least 3 deaths worth in repair bills if you use it. There shouldn't be a forced 10 minute pause to gameplay, especially if you happen to die and can't reach your corpse. The mechanic is there for being able to fly while dead; why this isn't implemented in Pandaria is beyond me.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
The death of a character should be something important, the death penalty is there to make sure players don’t disregard it, in my opinion it’s actually already too easy and too fast to resurrect.

Agree completely.

Totally incorrect. Unless your definition of "very weird" is also "several of the daily quest hubs and rare mob spawn locations". There are multiple places in Mists of Pandaria where you can die and be forced to GY rez due to the absurd lack of flying ghost mounts. It's a design flaw and one you should address.

I'm totally fine with running to my corpse. Removal the guild perk is fine by me. Heck you can increase repair costs all you want - I agree - death is too trivial most of time - but don't make me sit in game AFK for 10 minutes because of a design flaw then call it my fault. Insult to injury and all that.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
If you decide to resurrect at the spirit healer, it’s because either your character died in a very weird place (and you should be more careful)

Utterly ridiculous given the way you've structured Pandaria, the quest hubs, the mob locations and the lack of ghost flying. Why ghosts don't permanently have flying once we attain the proper license for the zone in question is beyond me.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior

If you decide to resurrect at the spirit healer, it’s because either your character died in a very weird place (and you should be more careful),

then why are that so many freaking quests in area's unaccesable in MoP when you removed the flying spirits.

we are being penalised because of your bad quest design.

oh and FYI quick and the dead has been broken for months. eather fix it or replace it with something else.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
The death penalty in wow is very, VERY casual. We should lose something significat when we die, currently we just lose a few seconds.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
26/11/2012 18:30Posted by Vaju
We should lose something significat when we die,

Such as? Can you do it in a way which wouldn't punish people excessively for progression raiding or PvPing?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
The other day I fell of my mount above HoF entrance and died(I didn't forget to bubble, it was an alt, I swear!). I had no choice but to res at spirit healer as we don't have ghost gryphons anymore, why the hell did they get removed?

26/11/2012 18:40Posted by Elenthas
We should lose something significat when we die,

Such as? Can you do it in a way which wouldn't punish people excessively for progression raiding or PvPing?

Sanity!
Edited by Rinleez on 26/11/2012 18:49 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Getting rid of the death penalty? If anything they should make the death penalty worse. I only loose some durabilty from dying, in other RPG's I've played death penalty often invovles nasty debuffs which really makes you want to stay alive at all times.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
It’s because of the penalty and the lost time when doing a corpse run, that players will be more cautious about their character.

I think we should all be glad that there’s no experience loss as death penalty, that would probably be a bit too harsh, but I do think we need something to keep death from being meaningless.

We’re always open to good and new ideas of what that might be; as long as it’s not “removal of the death penalty”, feel free to chip in ;)

Just wanna say thanks for not catering to all the people wanting to destroy this game by making every aspect of it completely meaningless and taking away all forms of challenge. Just like people shouldn't be able to click a button to be lvl 90 because they're too lazy to level, they shouldn't be able die and take no penalty from it whatsoever.

As for a suggestion, you could get a debuff called Recovering or something where your character would, for a short time, regenerate mana/energy/rage a bit slower than usual. Then when people are in raids/dungeons/bg's there would be some kind of buff so it doesnt apply there.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]