8 years of World of Warcraft. time for new gfx engine

85 Night Elf Hunter
I have played wow for 7 years. I still have an active account but i didnt buy MOP (yet). Havent played since april 2012

Wow is a great game and i always play it with joy but I go from game to game and when i logged into wow the graphics always shocked me.

wow is great game now with bad graphics. I sincerely hope they can update their graphics engine and i can once play wow again in FULL HD graphics.

make it a choice so people with low budgets comp can still play wow but people with high end machines can enjoy wow in full HD.

I want to upgrade to MOP..i really do but the graphics are holding me back now....ewwwwww

yes i like the gameplay. did so for 7 years..

make a new World of warcraft, or give me an updated engine plz... you had 8 years for this and enough money.

thx
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
The game is in its last part of life even if there are 2 more expansions to come. A new graphics engine will not happen, just maybe some texture updates etc.

If they consider to much work updating character models,imagine revamping the new thing on lets say UE 3 or Avalanche engines. This will never happen.

Your best bet is to wait for Titan if you want a game on a new engine from Blizz,and hope its theme is similar to warcraft.
Edited by Sanctified on 28/11/2012 12:59 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
You are right, my friend! WoW graphics suck at the moment and they need to be upgraded.
Reply Quote
60 Human Warlock
who cares about the graphics?
You guys were surely from the same crowd that said Everquest 2 was gonna kill WoW because of the graphics difference.
8 years later, who still plays Everquest 2?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Rifts has lovelly graphics and I always wished WOW was more like it visually but I can't see it happening.

Even with a decent PC I sometimes struggle in cities as my FPS drops below 20 so I think Blizz would have to improve their hardware as well.
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
84 Dwarf Shaman
If you've claimed to have played for 7 years (and you make remarks about the graphics), why be put off by Mists of Pandaria, when WotLK, Cataclysm and MoP have seen texture updates?

Unfortunately there isn't enough demand for WoW to go into the Higherspec Land, simply because this is one of the few MMORPGs that runs smoothly on older machines. Let's not forget how much of the game is hand-drawn, rather than graphics created on a computer - nearly every single thing in Vanilla was hand-drawn, particularly the buildings, floor textures and environmental details (trees, plants, rocks). If you were to remove entirely all that work, the subs would drop massively overnight because people can no longer play the game they enjoy.

I wouldn't say they "suck", but they do seem outdated. I much prefer Spyro 2: Gateway to Glimmer's graphics to something like, I don't know, Fable 3. Doesn't mean that Fable 3's suck, they're just more advanced or have more detail in comparison.

If you're put off by the graphics, then I have to ask: what's stopping you now? Pandaria looks fantastic for the most part, and you can see all the effort that's gone into the environmental details and glorious landscapes. It's not what I'd call hi-tech and modern, but a well painted picture. It's simply the portrait of Mister Epic.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter
Not sure most PC's would cope with HD graphics if it's what I think you mean being more realistic look than the style we have right now graphical wise.

There are some areas that even make my quad cpu and Geforce 570 card struggle. Halfhill being one of them, especially at peak hours. It's like cramming entire server population into an inn and watch how your computer can cope then.

However, the other thing is that the game has been patched on so many times that to redo the graphical engine would mean a lot of work to make that happen. But yes, it probably come with Titan project as it's deemed cheaper to work on a new project with a newer game graphical engine than try to rebuild the foundations again while a skyscraper is sitting right on top of it.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
isnt Titan something from 2015 or later if you look at that released secret document...

What to expect then from blizzard in 2013 and 2014?

I play Starcraft2, Diablo3 and well not Wow at the moment... I upgrade my pc and now have a 27" screen with 16Gb Ram, 1980 x 1080 resolution, Intel I7, SSD drive, Nvidia gtx660 x2 etc etc etc..

I upgrade my hardware (most gamers do) but blizzard isnt upgrading anything...and i feel bad about that..(I upgrade because of other games that come out and need the hardware boost)..

When you switch between another game and this game (wow) its like they throw cold water in your face..

of coarse if you play longer then 30 min you dont see it anymore and its all about gameplay again. Dont get me wrong, gameplay is more important then graphics but both should go hand in hand. With MOP i thought they would upgrade their engine to current day standards but they didnt, so i havent bought it.

I dont see a reason to end world of warcraft if they just go with time and upgrade the game graphics they havent with MOP. And i wonder why. its like riding my ferrari with 30 mph over a F1 circuit. It sucks

im not ranting..im a fan.. I want the best for Wow
Edited by Kortak on 28/11/2012 13:10 GMT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
Its basically because of the bigger screen i bought

If you've claimed to have played for 7 years (and you make remarks about the graphics), why be put off by Mists of Pandaria, when WotLK, Cataclysm and MoP have seen texture updates?

Unfortunately there isn't enough demand for WoW to go into the Higherspec Land, simply because this is one of the few MMORPGs that runs smoothly on older machines. Let's not forget how much of the game is hand-drawn, rather than graphics created on a computer - nearly every single thing in Vanilla was hand-drawn, particularly the buildings, floor textures and environmental details (trees, plants, rocks). If you were to remove entirely all that work, the subs would drop massively overnight because people can no longer play the game they enjoy.

I wouldn't say they "suck", but they do seem outdated. I much prefer Spyro 2: Gateway to Glimmer's graphics to something like, I don't know, Fable 3. Doesn't mean that Fable 3's suck, they're just more advanced or have more detail in comparison.

If you're put off by the graphics, then I have to ask: what's stopping you now? Pandaria looks fantastic for the most part, and you can see all the effort that's gone into the environmental details and glorious landscapes. It's not what I'd call hi-tech and modern, but a well painted picture. It's simply the portrait of Mister Epic.

Oke , so you are saying they did upgrade it? but its just the cartoony look.. I dont have anything against the cartoony look. I like the cartoony look.

But from what i see here (my daughters account has MOP and i can see how it looks) it looks horrible on my (now very good) pc.

Maybe i swallow my pride and just go play MOP too.. game is still great . Just a shame i have to play sjitty graphics.
Reply Quote
55 Dwarf Death Knight
the graphics are the least of the games problems
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
I think the game is very beautiful, sadly the game is very badly optimized because of the engine being so old, so that's one reason to get a new one.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
28/11/2012 13:28Posted by Purgatorio
the graphics are the least of the games problems

^this
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
Can't believe you people.. For example, my PC wouldn't be able to run it if they upgraded the graphics.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
28/11/2012 13:37Posted by Pthalia
Can't believe you people.. For example, my PC wouldn't be able to run it if they upgraded the graphics.

see, that's exactly what it would. It's not about updating the graphics, it's about updating the graphics engine. This does not necessarily mean that the game will be visually different, but it means a lot of other things.

For starters the game is very badly optimized because of the graphics engine being so old, there's me sitting on a i7 3770k and a GTX680 which of both are overclocked far beyond their stock clocks, yet I drop down to 30 fps sometimes. This is unacceptable considering what the game looks like.

Making a new graphics engine which runs better in general would mean that it would run smoother on pretty much all computers.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
I'm strongly opposed unless they keep the requirements and performance the same. Even the new zones in pandaria have suprisingly low fps.
Reply Quote
80 Human Paladin
The game looks stunning to me. It's just styled differently. Cartoons vs realism.

There are very very few machines that can run on Ultra, never mind with an engine upgrade. Draw distance is still limited low too.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
A better graphics engine won't make the game look better.

3D Models won't suddenly have more polygons and the terrain wouldn't suddenly be higher definition nor would the textures have a higher resolution.

WoWs graphic engine is a very well refined, polished engine for a MMORPG; it runs at acceptable framerates (not as high as they could be - see TERA - but good enough). The engine is mature and well designed.

As a game developer, I would tell you it'd be a retarded idea to change your graphics engine when you got a mature, stable working one that your game is based on.

Even if you'd redo the entire thing, you'd still have a game that looks the same with fancier effects. WOOPIDOO.

Not worth the effort, learn something about what a graphics engine is before posting this kind of stupid drivel.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
28/11/2012 12:58Posted by Dextergx
You are right, my friend! WoW graphics suck at the moment and they need to be upgraded.

Lol, and WoW will lose it's uniqueness.
Reply Quote
100 Human Hunter
Yea so all the people who don't use 1,5k $ of value will have a hard time..
You must understand that changing the engine will require great work, wow's graphics aren't that bad considering the way it's animated, it's not supposed to be BF3.

Also they will lose a huge subscriber base by upgrading the graphics, and then the game will have struggle with payment because they used a lot to upgrade the engine, and then they will lose dev's and the game will either be crap or get F2P.
Want me to continue?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Graphics don't make the gameplay.

Besides the engine keeps getting upgraded with each new patch being released so there isn't a need to change the engine in the first place. If you want better graphics then it's just a simple question of when Blizzard will upgrade it. Absolutely no need for a new engine.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]