8 years of World of Warcraft. time for new gfx engine

90 Orc Warlock
Just offer an alternative client for people who don't run the game on their Amiga 500's, simple as that.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
28/11/2012 14:20Posted by Zaiger
Just offer an alternative client for people who don't run the game on their Amiga 500's, simple as that.

This could also be a good option.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
well so long the textures are somewhat okay, i dont mind the grafic engine BUT i would want them to add chests who are chests and not a bodypaint.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
Wow is not about graphics its about the gameplay.

BF3 got insane graphics. but still peope playing Modern warfare or blackops cuz it have better gameplay

Guildwars has better graphics compared to WoW, but doenst make guildwars better.
Wow is better then GW2 cuz gameplay rules. GW good graphics but bored all day long.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Not gonna happen.
We havn't even got updated race models yet...
So anything above that is most definitely never gonna happen.
Reply Quote
Community
Technology never stops evolving and we all know that most games usually end up falling behind, as time never stops, while trying to keep up with the latest hardware.

But actually, a game like WoW is constantly updating its engines, with every new expansion and sometimes even during normal patches, we get a few updates here and there, both to the graphics engine but also to many other kinds of engines, like animation, A.I., network, scripts, physics…

WoW is actually a very efficient and polished game, and it has to be so, players need a smooth gameplay while doing very demanding CPU/GPU intensive tasks, like being in a city with hundreds of players around you, 25-man raids, or even world bosses when there’s 2 or 3 more 40-man raids around you trying to tag the same boss, and then there’s addons, which introduce some overhead but provide one of the most powerful game customization capabilities that I know of, adding extreme versatility and expansibility to the game.

Many changes and updates have been done to the game’s engines throughout all these years, some players might not notice them immediately but they are there.
Most of the engines that we use are made in-house and remain exclusive to our games. That’s why we typically don’t discriminate most of those changes and release extensive technical details.

For example, with Cataclysm we were able to introduce DirectX 11 support and many new different features like dynamic sunshafts and improved “liquid” rendering (aka awesome looking water!). With Mists of Pandaria we have better and bigger textures, improved shadows, overall better and more detailed 3D models and some stuff that you just won’t notice because it’s not visually distinguishable, like performance improvements on the way the game renders the world around you.

We also need to be careful about any changes we might apply to graphics, as sometimes those changes can mean a feeling of loss to many players that love and are used to the way the world looks. We know WoW can be very close to player’s hearts and that our community is incredibly passionate about the game, so we need to be extremely careful about any design changes we apply, not only visual changes.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Mage
and improved “liquid” rendering (aka awesome looking water!).

See! Blizzard favours their employees better than us! They give better looking water for Taepsilum's running murloc to wade in, just so he can look 'cool' whilst ripping people's faces off in Darkshore >:(
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/30946937.jpg

Seriously tho, if graphical engine that works in your current system is an issue to you, because its not flashy enough, may I recomend a number of better looking games that have gameplay far worse than WoW even in its daily-quest-retarded-grind state.

This would be good time to come out saying "Naaah just kiddin' ya!".
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Megaman 2 has poor grahps but game still owns most games today so it's not really about grahps but more of gameplay and feeling of game itself.
Reply Quote
86 Human Warrior
You demand new gfx engine while I can't even run the WoW now days on LOW without getting disconnected when there's 60 people around Sha of Anger, sure go ahead. While you're at it, buy me a new computer why don't you.

FFS. Oh and ye, let me put it on ultra, oh wait!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Technology never stops evolving and we all know that most games usually end up falling behind, as time never stops, while trying to keep up with the latest hardware.

But actually, a game like WoW is constantly updating its engines, with every new expansion and sometimes even during normal patches, we get a few updates here and there, both to the graphics engine but also to many other kinds of engines, like animation, A.I., network, scripts, physics…

WoW is actually a very efficient and polished game, and it has to be so, players need a smooth gameplay while doing very demanding CPU/GPU intensive tasks, like being in a city with hundreds of players around you, 25-man raids, or even world bosses when there’s 2 or 3 more 40-man raids around you trying to tag the same boss, and then there’s addons, which introduce some overhead but provide one of the most powerful game customization capabilities that I know of, adding extreme versatility and expansibility to the game.

Many changes and updates have been done to the game’s engines throughout all these years, some players might not notice them immediately but they are there.
Most of the engines that we use are made in-house and remain exclusive to our games. That’s why we typically don’t discriminate most of those changes and release extensive technical details.

For example, with Cataclysm we were able to introduce DirectX 11 support and many new different features like dynamic sunshafts and improved “liquid” rendering (aka awesome looking water!). With Mists of Pandaria we have better and bigger textures, improved shadows, overall better and more detailed 3D models and some stuff that you just won’t notice because it’s not visually distinguishable, like performance improvements on the way the game renders the world around you.

We also need to be careful about any changes we might apply to graphics, as sometimes those changes can mean a feeling of loss to many players that love and are used to the way the world looks. We know WoW can be very close to player’s hearts and that our community is incredibly passionate about the game, so we need to be extremely careful about any design changes we apply, not only visual changes.

Yet you don't seem to optimize the game-engine to support multi-core properly? Where's the DirectX 11 Multi-thread support? Should be easy to enable since DIrectX 11 support is already in. Even with an i7-3930k, you won't be able to get stable fps on for instance "Sha of Anger" due to too many people (ability spam etc etc) it's just too way much for 1 core mainly, WoW has been depended on "One Core" from the CPU for too long, it's time to step up the game Blizzard!
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

Back in TBC I used to love playing my protection Paladin, it had a truly unique play style compared to the other tanks. Then you went and changed Paladins to be strength based instead of mana based tanks, turning them into near clones of warriors. I absolutely hated playing my Paladin after that, it felt like a totally different class, but you know what, in the end I got over it and learnt to love the new Paladin class.

The same would happen with any change to graphics, some people would hate it, but they would get over it in the end. Blizzard weren't afraid to make huge game breaking / redefining changes back then, with far more potential to alienate the players, so why are you so shy about making changes that frankly won't alter the play ability of the game one jot but rather increase it aesthetic appeal and longevity.

Perhaps a good way to improve the games graphics, would be to drastically up the polygon count for player characters, along with introducing higher resolution versions of the existing character textures. This could also be implemented to only happen if using the direct x 11 graphics mode, so only those players with hardware powerful enough to run the better graphics would be affected.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
You demand new gfx engine while I can't even run the WoW now days on LOW without getting disconnected when there's 60 people around Sha of Anger, sure go ahead. While you're at it, buy me a new computer why don't you.

FFS. Oh and ye, let me put it on ultra, oh wait!

The point of a new graphics engine is that it would not only improve the look of the game with higher poly counts and high res textures, but that it would also improve performance for all users by benefiting from being more optimized and using more up to date design ideas.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
To be honest, and I know this goes against the general viewpoint, but the other night, on my not so great laptop with low-ish graphic settings, i was sat on my pandarian kite over a pool of water in the jungle of Krasarang, and I just noticed, how great it all looked. The detail on my characters clothing, the detail and decor on the kite, the ripples of the water, the cranes walking around. And it probably looks even better to those with amazing pcs.

I personally do not see what the problem is. WoW has cartoon looks. Games like Mario Kart or Zelda SNES never really age too badly, because cartoon looks have stayed pretty much the same since inception.

I'm sure they could get the graphics greater, but I wouldn't say its significantly worse looking than a lot of current generation console games.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
wow's graphics and esthetics are pretty much perfect in my opinion. if you look back at older screenshots from like vanilla, it's easy to see that there have been made huge improvements.

The only thing I'd love to have improved, would be some race models, and the way gear looks, like robes usually have the same shape always, but with different texture, even though it seems like theyre doing that now with the new awesome belts and etc.

But was vickii says, wow is cartoonish, and I'd rather have wow's graphics than GW2's graphics, or any other mmo.
Edited by Corpsewater on 28/11/2012 19:03 GMT
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
The Vanilla models needed a serious makeover when Cataclysm was released. Compared to the Worgen/Goblin/Panda models, Humans, Night Elves, etc. look like 2004.

The Human models consist of, what, four polygons? Meanwhile we've got Panda armor with physics, and 3D water. It's like someone began repainting a house and then stopped halfway through.

Chop chop, Blizzard. No more silly races until you've updated the old ones. Scene girl Pandabears are cute and all, but the Vanilla models still look like crap.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Rogue
28/11/2012 16:44Posted by Taepsilum
WoW is actually a very efficient and polished game, and it has to be so, players need a smooth gameplay while doing very demanding CPU/GPU intensive tasks, like being in a city with hundreds of players around you,

I do not want to be mean, but at some realms there are like perhaps 100 active players.. And no signs of FCM as long as ppl pay for the trasfer.. So this issue only helps a handful of realms...
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
28/11/2012 17:36Posted by Untouchable
You demand new gfx engine while I can't even run the WoW now days on LOW without getting disconnected when there's 60 people around Sha of Anger

Lol , what you running it on ? an old Sinclair 128 k .

Back on topic , i like the idea of two clients or settings , i.e orig gfx engine then the new ( none rubbsh pc ) gfx engine .
Edited by Píxxí on 28/11/2012 20:17 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Rogue

This. :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]