8 years of World of Warcraft. time for new gfx engine

90 Tauren Druid
Having played runescape for some years, WoW graphics are pretty good in my opinion.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
28/11/2012 16:44Posted by Taepsilum
That’s why we typically don’t discriminate most of those changes and release extensive technical details.

I would hope that you wouldn't discriminate your own changes. This would not be the best PR move.

{◕ ◡ ◕}
Edited by Vógar on 28/11/2012 21:23 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
We also need to be careful about any changes we might apply to graphics, as sometimes those changes can mean a feeling of loss to many players that love and are used to the way the world looks. We know WoW can be very close to player’s hearts and that our community is incredibly passionate about the game, so we need to be extremely careful about any design changes we apply, not only visual changes.

But that exactly what you did with Cataclysm expansion. My Home(!!!) - Deathknel and Tirisfal Glades and Silverpine Forest that I really liked and loved from the very beginning are strange and alien places now. I feel like I've lost 5 years of my life!!!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
I'll have WoW graphics over GW2 'Korean' style characters every single time.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
This game looks really really dated now. And when you have logged out for a while after say playing Rift, then you come back and realise just how bad the characters look. I guess its like many things though, listen to a crap radio all day long and it probably sounds digital after a while. Sad really... would be a great to see my character looking more realistic and without jaggedy edges. Also the animations in game just repeat like over and over and over.

So yeh to giving the game a make over. ... Not sure it would cure us of pandas though :-)
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
The main reason wow needs a new engine is the fact it doesnt run that great on systems that can easily handle the most up to date games
mine for example has no issues with games like the new assassins creed/NFS MW/BF3/Blackops2

i can run all these on ultra but i cant sit in orgrimmar on ultra without my fps dipping
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
The main reason wow needs a new engine is the fact it doesnt run that great on systems that can easily handle the most up to date games
mine for example has no issues with games like the new assassins creed/NFS MW/BF3/Blackops2

i can run all these on ultra but i cant sit in orgrimmar on ultra without my fps dipping

That's because WoW mostly runs on 1 core and not 3,4,5 or 6. It utilizes sometimes core 2 and 3 for a very few % but that's so small it doesn't make a difference. If WoW were to utilize let's say all 4 cores and some threads (intel cpu) it will make your fps so stable, that you'll have 60 fps in OG any time.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
28/11/2012 17:39Posted by Derpfatty
Yet you don't seem to optimize the game-engine to support multi-core properly? Where's the DirectX 11 Multi-thread support? Should be easy to enable since DIrectX 11 support is already in. Even with an i7-3930k, you won't be able to get stable fps on for instance "Sha of Anger" due to too many people (ability spam etc etc) it's just too way much for 1 core mainly, WoW has been depended on "One Core" from the CPU for too long, it's time to step up the game Blizzard!
Huh? I've got no issues with Sha whatsoever, and I've got an i7 920.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
In all honesty I think WoW's graphic style has held up remarkably well.

There could probably be better support for utilising the options available to those with top end PC's but I feel that one of WoW's great strenght is that it doesn't require a great computer to run to an acceptable standard, giving a much wider player base access to the game.

TLDR: Keep min requirements low, but broaden options on the higher end to make use of newer tech for those that have it.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
29/11/2012 04:17Posted by Randomscrub
Yet you don't seem to optimize the game-engine to support multi-core properly? Where's the DirectX 11 Multi-thread support? Should be easy to enable since DIrectX 11 support is already in. Even with an i7-3930k, you won't be able to get stable fps on for instance "Sha of Anger" due to too many people (ability spam etc etc) it's just too way much for 1 core mainly, WoW has been depended on "One Core" from the CPU for too long, it's time to step up the game Blizzard!
Huh? I've got no issues with Sha whatsoever, and I've got an i7 920.

If you look at your fps during the sha fight, it WILL tip down to 30 or under, do not try and deny this. I got I7-3930K @ 4.2 ghz and radeon 7970 ghz edition, when there's 30+ players during sha, you won't have a very stable FPS which is under 30.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
the first problem ist, the most of people have to learn the diffrent about lags and fps

the most have lags about the own addons, and dislike blizz for they own faults
fps drops can come from other diffrent things, not only from world of warcraft - but if you want to play such a extrem nice game like world of warcraft, you need the power to handle this information-data stuff about face, haircolour, items, movement, ... for all the 1000 people around you, handle this big data without lags is a masterpiece.

the most dumb people compare the game with non-online games or singleplayer (bots, scripting dialog, future is written...) games, where the transfer of data is a minimum and not like world of warcraft.

the design is wonderful in wow, i like the cartoonish style - and i didnt want it realistic like crysis. the big deal of wow is the interface, give the community free hand to interface and you win the top place in game charts, because the players want it "like they want, and they think its the best", all other games are getting bored for time, because you can modify nothing.

i like the most improvements blizz does in the time, they match perfect in there style and all feels very good - the whole world is art, many people have set every little stone, and i will hope they had a "spray-can" to spray the gras on nagrand xD

so, sorry for my bad english, greets from germany !
Reply Quote
91 Tauren Druid
Personally I really like the style of Wow's graphics. I wouldn't want them to lose their distinctive style as they would if they made them more 'realistic' like other MMO's

Some updated character models for the pre Worgen / Goblin / Panda races would be very nice though :)
Reply Quote
11 Troll Warrior
I don't understand this argument. WoW is not about graphics, it never was. Why do they need to be updated or put onto a new graphics engine?

They could use a new engine for enhanced gameplay instead of churning out the same 3 quests with different text each expansion, but certainly not one for graphics.

The graphics right now are fine. They work well on most PCs and are the reason that WoW can support so many players.

If you want good graphics, go to BF3, Metro 2033 or Crysis. I bought them for their graphics. I suggest you do the same and just accept WoW as it is. This is the same as the Call of Duty argument - the engine runs at 60fps on consoles, doesn't look bad and yet still people say "HURR WE WANAN MOR GRAPIC!!" without realising the cost and impact it'd have.
Reply Quote
96 Pandaren Monk
New engine alone won't save the game. Indeed Blizz should upgrade it, but in the same time they should allow players to replace skins and models of game objects.
This will solve problem with old models and all possible complains about the way they look.
To prevent exploits Blizz can enforce rules and parameters for skins and models, like they did for addons.
Yeah, Blizz, you can't suddenly change engine and update all ingame models - there are too many of them. But community can. You can't create new race models that will please everyone, but players can do this and they will have a choice between different models.
Indeed, the different models will create different experience for everyone (OMG, but this is MMO!!!!111), but different experience is what keeps many people playing for so long - personally I miss UI modding when I play other MMOs very much (and honestly this is one of the main reasons I keep playing WoW). You did step in the right direction when you allowed UI modding, Blizz, now do another and allow us to modify models/textures.
Edited by Keyuri on 29/11/2012 11:38 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
you cant upgrade graphic to suit the high end spec PC and boot out the low end specs i have literally just got a new comp yesterday i went from playing on min setting with 30 FPS to ultra settings at 50 FPS and my old comp i have had for 7 years and it still can play wow smoothly on low graphics the only reason i bought a new PC was for my black ops is coming today and i needed it

if they bumped the graphics up then that means that anyone with a PC older than 3 years old technology in it would have to buy new PC or quit

i was very impressed with blizzard for the fact that my 7 year old comp was still able to play in raids smoothly i bet its harder to make a game that looks good but keep graphic requirments down than it is to make high graphic game that only 10% of population could play

remember some people cant throw money about for new PC i been saving up for 5month for myn but it was well overdue tbh
Reply Quote
91 Tauren Druid
As much as I'd like new models, I think I'd prefer them to have been designed by a professional rather than let Joe public loose on 3DStudio and be able to submit their models.

Also I'd imagine the process of auditing these submissions would be something Blizzard wouldn't want to have to take care of.
Reply Quote
96 Pandaren Monk
29/11/2012 12:09Posted by Coriandra
Also I'd imagine the process of auditing these submissions would be something Blizzard wouldn't want to have to take care of.

Auditing? What for? You will download models just like you are downloading addons - they will be completely optional. Don't like Joe's work - don't use it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
i think that the "older" and less demanding gxf of WoW is one of it's big aces..
i know loads of people play WoW on the same pc they started playing it on 8 years ago.. and since it's the only game they play, they don't need to realy upgrade if they don't want to..

now if Blizz were to vamp WoW with the latest gfx engines, loads of people would just end their subs, as they won't invest hundreds of euros for this 1 game..

you can tell WoW updates everything regulary.. as i was "forced" to upgrade my OSX for patch 5.0.4 just before MoP, since my old OSX wasn't supported anymore.. luckily, mac OSX is a lot cheaper than windows :p
Reply Quote
94 Gnome Rogue
"Just make a new engine"
"Just upgrade the engine"

I like how people can make things sound so simple.
Reply Quote
Community
29/11/2012 04:11Posted by Derpfatty
That's because WoW mostly runs on 1 core and not 3,4,5 or 6. It utilizes sometimes core 2 and 3 for a very few % but that's so small it doesn't make a difference.

Have you tried to change the configuration to try to maximize performance using some console variables?

I've been paying attention to WoW's CPU core usage since at least Cataclysm was launched, and I must say that I get pretty even and very high numbers when it comes to % of CPU usage in at least 2 of the cores.

If you happen to have a very high CPU usage on only 1 core, you might want to try to check your /WTF/config.wtf file inside WoW's folder, and edit some variables out.
*Please remember to make a backup copy of this file just in case...*

There’s at least 2 variables that probably deserve taking a look:
- timingMethod
- processAffinityMask

If none of these variables show up on your config.wtf, the game is automatically using the best values for your computer, you can still add these lines and force a specific value but it’s not recommended unless you know what you’re doing and have any performance issues that you need to solve.

I know this isn’t very user friendly, and especially processAffinityMask can be hard to understand so here’s the basics:
If you know which CPU you have and how many cores it has you can manually try to set the processAffinityMask value and see what works best.

Generally you should use for:
2 core CPU’s: SET processAffinityMask "3"
3 core CPU’s: SET processAffinityMask "7"
4 core CPU’s: SET processAffinityMask "15"

For 4 cores, you can experiment with values of 15, 85 or 255, I won’t get into much detail of what that does, but you can check on wowwiki if you’re curious.
This is basically the same thing as opening Windows Task Manager, Processes Tab, and right clicking on wow.exe and clicking on “Set Affinity…”
What this does is it tells your OS which cores it can use.

For timingMethod, as long as you have a multi-core processor, that is, anything that has at least 2 cores, you should have this line in your config.wtf (again, if the variable isn’t there, means the game is automatically choosing the best value):
SET timingMethod "2"

There are many more variables that can influence the game’s performance, for example, if you ever used any addons to measure or benchmark your cpu’s usage, there’s a very high chance that those addons activated CPU profiling, and that is a major performance decrease if it’s not deactivated properly by the addon or the user. (scriptProfile should be set to FALSE so it becomes disabled, SET scriptProfile "0", again only do this if this variable already shows up on your config.wtf and has a value of “1”, which means it’s activated)
Here’s a list of console variables for the Engine, Graphics, and Interface

Again, please backup your WTF folder, messing around with variables is generally safe and usually you can undo most mistakes, the game even does this for you if for example you happen to use a value that is out of range, but you should always keep in mind that the game usually automatically picks up the best variable values for your system, so it’s not recommended to change them manually unless you are having any performance issues and really know what you’re doing.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]