Will there ever be a major graphics upgrade for WOW?

10 Gnome Priest
So Blizzard have updated the graphics somewhat with each release of World of Warcraft, but will we ever get a decent upgrade or overhaul of the graphics engine?

World of Warcraft has its own unique style which most people love but it definitely wouldn't get lost in a graphics upgrade, just look at the Cata and MOP intro videos! They're obviously far superior to the in-game graphics we experience each day but they still feel like WoW, just WoW to the extreme.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a WoW with a graphics engine and style somewhere in-between the two? More advanced than what we have now but not taking it as far as an extreme upgrade?

Something closer to FFXIV graphics, where the character models look more like the ones in the MOP intro etc? Who wouldn't want Orc and Human characters that looked more like that?

I've seen people beat down suggestion like this before but if Square Enix can screw up and re-build an entire game in a year and a half why is it such a ridiculous suggestion that Blizzard give WoWs graphics a complete overhaul?

After all they've been in the business a long time so I'm sure if SE can afford to completely rebuild a game Blizzard could afford to upgrade the graphics engine! I'm also pretty sure they could work out how to make the new engine scalable to still work on old systems, which is one of the good points of WoW for many players.

Love WoW, this isn't some hate or troll thread but really wish they would update the graphics.

After all I haven't invested my time and money into WoW all this time for Blizzard to leave its graphics in the dark while they work on Titan's, what if I don't like Titan? Maybe I just want better graphics from WoW!

Edited for typo
Edited by Underpantz on 04/12/2012 14:51 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
Well the reason they're keeping it low graphical is partially because they want as many people as possible to be able to play it. While the game isn't amazing by any points graphically, it does have it's pretty points, and the game certainly isn't ugly despite it's obvious shortcomings.

I'd rather have more fun content than pretty content.
Edited by Coppersocket on 04/12/2012 14:51 GMT
Reply Quote
64 Night Elf Monk
It's kinda pointless to upgrade the entire game engine at this point.
It would be too costly and too time consuming.

On top of that, WoW's aged engine makes is a perfect game to run on many different type's of computers, including older ones. So its a strength imo.

A next generation MMO (Titan?) will naturally have a up to date graphic engine.
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Priest
You both make great points, thanks for your replies.

But it just seems we're being forced to look to future releases like project Titan for upgraded graphics and what happens if you don't end up liking Titan?

We all play WoW, surely some more money should be re-invested in updating a title that everyones loves rather than curbing its graphical development in favor of a title thats not on the market yet!?
Reply Quote
64 Night Elf Monk
You arent looking at it from a business perspective.

WoW is running its course and it maybe has about 2 more expansion in it.
After that it most likely goes on but only with small patches once in a while.

It amazes me what they managed to squeeze out of the engine in MoP.
Pandaria looks really great and it shows that the current engine can handle the coming years without too much problems.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
04/12/2012 14:50Posted by Coppersocket
I'd rather have more fun content than pretty content.

!!!
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Priest
You arent looking at it from a business perspective.

WoW is running its course and it maybe has about 2 more expansion in it.
After that it most likely goes on but only with small patches once in a while.

It amazes me what they managed to squeeze out of the engine in MoP.
Pandaria looks really great and it shows that the current engine can handle the coming years without too much problems.

You're right, but we all love WoW so why wouldn't it make business sense up upgrade the graphics engine? I don't think it has to die in 2 expansions time, products including WoW constantly re-develop themselves into something different. WoW now certainly isn't what WoW was and I don't see why a successful product can't keep evolving. Why just shelve it for something we don't even know is awesome yet (titan)? Although im sure it could be(titan).
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
And as usual people blindly trot out the usual nonsense about "keeping it so everyone can see it".

Standard response: if the engine was overhauled and made efficient, WoW could run on much lower system specs than it currently can, and it would look far far better.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Some blue posts on the matter:

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/5967338478?page=2#26
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
04/12/2012 15:29Posted by Beldanor
Some blue posts on the matter

Thanks, I needed a good laugh.

The WoW engine efficient? I'm sorry Taepsilum, but there's no way anyone with any technical knowledge could say those words with a straight face.
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Priest
04/12/2012 15:27Posted by Ulsaki
if the engine was overhauled and made efficient, WoW could run on much lower system specs than it currently can, and it would look far far better.

I've heard many people also say this, so why can't Blizzard give WoWs graphics engine an upgrade?

Industry examples show that Blizzard should be able to afford such a move quite easily, WoW is after all one of if not the most successful MMO(s) ever... you're not asking me to believe that with its level of popularity the company can't afford to upgrade its graphics engine?

So why leave its graphics in the dark?
Edited by Underpantz on 04/12/2012 15:51 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
04/12/2012 15:48Posted by Underpantz
if the engine was overhauled and made efficient, WoW could run on much lower system specs than it currently can, and it would look far far better.

I've heard many people also say this, so why can't Blizzard give WoWs graphics engine an upgrade?

Industry examples show that Blizzard should be able to afford such a move quite easily, WoW is after all one of if not the most successful MMO(s) ever... you're not asking me to believe that with its level of popularity the company can't afford to upgrade its graphics engine?

So why leave its graphics in the dark?

It's not a question of money as such. Blizzard could easily afford it, though their shareholders would probably demand blood, or want to know how it would lead to a good return on investment. There are valid arguments to be made there, such as reducing a barrier, and improving the experience for all, but I'd still imagine there would be difficulties getting it approved. Shareholders only care about making the maximum amount of profit, unfortunately.

The client-side engine would also have to be completely scrapped and rewritten from scratch, all the game assets converted to new formats. It would take a lot of manpower.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Wow's engine definitely upgraded/reworked over the years. Just look at those vanilla textures. They went up from 256,512 res to 1024 or even higher (dunno exact numbers, but that's why ,mop looks so beautiful).

It's all purposeful. This is the game's "style", you can use normal map that would change the whole world/look instantly (as i can see, wow doesn't even use a bump map, it's only hand painted texture everywhere) to ubercool, but many people will lost his intereset in that moment.

Wow based on story and gameplay rather than shiny look. This is why 8million ppl playing it, and watch those "korean" mmos with "omg graphic", but meh gameplay. Look will become secondary after 1 week. (for me it's instantly, since i played for the first time at a commodore 64 :D)

And of course the last thing is absolutely true. With this system requirement it can reach more people, than force you to buy a Cray computer :)
Edited by Ashiquor on 04/12/2012 16:05 GMT
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
90 Worgen Druid
They have the ability to do this, but WoW's lifespan is already seeing decline. There's been giveaway signs in the past few weeks, to be honest. I'd gladly go down with HMS Warcraft, don't get me wrong, but I think it would require too much time and effort to make perform such a feat.

If it was an alternative, to have these enhanced graphics, then yes, I'd gladly go with it. But if you were to completely change the visuals, many won't like the style and quit just over that. Plus, if the graphics engine wasn't done properly and run on older machines, Blizzard would lose a HUGE chunk of its playerbase.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Mario on the NES is still a better game than WoW.

Gameplay > graphics.

that is all.
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Priest
04/12/2012 16:09Posted by Jonní
If it was an alternative, to have these enhanced graphics, then yes, I'd gladly go with it. But if you were to completely change the visuals, many won't like the style and quit just over that. Plus, if the graphics engine wasn't done properly and run on older machines, Blizzard would lose a HUGE chunk of its playerbase.

Indeed, but I don't see why they couldn't use a more powerful and efficient graphics engine that would look much better and still retain some backward compatibility.

As for the appearance, all you have to do is look at Blizzard's incredible artwork. Im sure a lot of players would like to see more of that artwork more closely resembled within the game.

MOP concept art for Human:
http://www.creativeuncut.com/gallery-19/art/wowmop-human-concept.jpg

MOP concept are for Orc:
http://www.creativeuncut.com/gallery-19/art/wowmop-orc-concept-alt.jpg
Edited by Underpantz on 04/12/2012 16:54 GMT
Reply Quote
Community
If the game had received absolutely zero graphical updates since release, I could definitely get behind the idea of a complete revamp. But that's really not the case. There's been a steady stream of updates over the course of WoW's existence. A huge number of models and textures have been improved. Yes, character models are still on the to-do list, but we've acknowledged that many times and have said we're working on them. I'm as eager to be sharing news on that with you as you are to hear it, trust me :)
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Priest
Takralus, thanks for your comment really appreciate the input there and I certainly am glad to hear about the upcoming character models.

And while I do appreciate WoWs graphics have been periodically updated over the years and expansions, just take a few minutes to watch back all the awesome World of Warcraft intros:

World of Warcraft Cinematic: http://youtu.be/vlVSJ0AvZe0

The Burning Crusade Cinematic: http://youtu.be/IBHL_-biMrQ

Wrath of the Lich King Cinematic: http://youtu.be/BCr7y4SLhck

Cataclysm Cinematic: http://youtu.be/Wq4Y7ztznKc

Mists of Pandaria Cinematic: http://youtu.be/wvYXoyxLv64

...and then tell me you don't want a World of Warcraft that more closely resembles those? A game like that would quite simply **** bricks over everything else!
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
The idea itself is not that bad. However, if you consider the fact that even high end computers drop to low fps when fighting i.e. sha of anger. (even my gtx 680 kneel to sha)

Part of the charm with wow is the graphics of the game and tinkering too much with it would ruin that.

Also consider the amount of pressure this would put on the players... A more demanding graphic engine means a higher standard to be able to run the game and that alone would reduce the amount of subscribers.

The cut-scene movies/expansion intros are supposed to be at a much higher level than the game itself, cause it will give you the "wow" moment when you watch the trailer for the upcoming expansion that also makes you want it (and more).

The graphics and the network data packaging solution is the reason I like this game. Where I love I have no other option than playing with a mobile broadband and compared to other online games, this still runs perfectly at 90ms (which for some reason other games just can't).

But I do believe that the future of directx 11(.1) will open some doors since it's less demanding than dx9 (this is windows only of course, where the mac version runs on openGL(?)).
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
04/12/2012 17:10Posted by Takralus
Yes, character models are still on the to-do list, but we've acknowledged that many times and have said we're working on them. I'm as eager to be sharing news on that with you as you are to hear it, trust me :)
Part of me just wishes that there would be something to share before patch 7.1 PTR.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]