A Ranged Monk

90 Draenei Monk
If they were to implement a fourth spec for monks;

How would a ranged (DPS) monk work? Would they deal physical or magical damage? Would they have autoattacks? Would it be fun? :)

I picture them physical.
Not sure about autoattack.
I picture them throwing ninja stars!
Perhaps a nunchuck-animation for powering up special attacks.
I guess they would also use Spinning Fire Blossom, Crackle Jade Lightning and Touch of Karma/Death.

(Added "If they were to implement a fourth spec for monks" as my post was unclear.)

---------------------------
The background for my question:

I'm a ranged DPS and a raid leader. I really love playing my monk, and I spend most of my online time on her, so I'm now gonna make the change. Our raid team is a 10man, so I'm "making the wrong decision" with open eyes. :-( On several bosses having more than two melee is a real disadvantage. (For example are ice traps and chains on Stone Guards worse to handle with more melee players.)

I love the monk animations and the fight style, and from that perspective it makes sense that they are a melee class. But looking at raid composition, I can't help thinking the newest class to be implemented should have been a ranged one.

Ranged classes: Hunter, Mage, Priest, Warlock (Druid, Shaman)
Melee classes: Monk, Paladin, Death Knight, Warrior, Rogue (Druid, Shaman)

In a 10man group, the composition you would go for is something like 2 tanks, 3 healers, 3 ranged and 2 melee. So why are both the two newest classes melee and not ranged?
Edited by Kinlai on 11/12/2012 09:57 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
DPS Monks are melee.. thats it why would you change that?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
I don't want to change them from melee to ranged. Druids have four specs, it's perfectly reasonable to IMAGINE it happening to other classes.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Monk
Im prety much already a ranged monk when im healing.
100% of my damage comes from range with the majority from chi burst and some from CJL.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Im prety much already a ranged monk when im healing.
100% of my damage comes from range with the majority from chi burst and some from CJL.

hahahaaaaa :)
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
i want to be a kensai/mage
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
Haha why dont blizzard just add some op ranged class?
What about "Kamehame HA" abil? haha 200k crit 3sec cast.

Nvm we already have lock & mage..
Edited by Orokusaki on 11/12/2012 13:03 GMT
Reply Quote
I crit 75-80k with SFB with fair ease on fully geared players. It ignores armor and has no cooldown. I can usually beat hunters without even touching them in melee range because of how ridiculous this flower is.

I am serious, by the way.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
I'd like to see a caster DPS monk spec! :D But would make me wanna respec from healer probably. I like that I'm not tempted by hybrid opps atm, like I was on my Shaman.

Buff Crackling Jade Lightning! Damage by 100% on a 30 sec CD and make the knock back (further and) have a 30% chance per tick instead of when hit? = We get a small help along nuke we can play with and an extra viable CC.

Would be awesome if it did like 15k every 2 secs for 10 secs.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
tbh it IS possible, we have the Red Crane celestial left, they could totally make that into a Range Dps spec.

CJL as their primary Chi builder, with a spec passive that bumped the first tick up to 100% chance to generate Chi. Then a spec specific cast time nuke, that costs chi for their main attack. Add in a few CDs, maybe a Crane Statue, give them the 5% haste buff and you're laughing.
Reply Quote
46 Pandaren Monk
A range monk with physical attack!!?...and cast ninja stars sounds really really and I mean REALLY boring if you ask me, that you suggest here sounds more like how windwalkers are now, a spellcaster would be alot more fun, new and creative.
Edited by Vordraka on 18/12/2012 00:35 GMT
Reply Quote
That would be simply amazing, but this is one of these things that will never happen unfortunately, blizzard is not that creative anymore with WoW. Spell/animations designers who created monk in Diablo3 should teach those from "WoW section" if you ask me, at least fists of fury wouldn't be looking so boring right now for sure...
Edited by Bllaise on 18/12/2012 14:36 GMT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]