Isn't it about time for purchase orders on the AH!?

90 Blood Elf Monk
With certain players trying to heavily manipulate (or in some cases take almost complete control of) the Auction Houses on some servers and Blizzard leaving realm economies pretty much a free market, isn't it about time for purchase orders on the AH?

How it Works:

Player A: Wants 10 stacks of Ghost Iron Ore at 60g a stack

Player A: Submits a purchase order on the AH for 10 stacks of Ghost Iron Ore and pays 600g up-front.

Player B: Wants so sell some Ghost Iron Ore and sees Player A's purchase order on the AH.

Player B: Is happy with the amount offered and clicks to fulfill Player A's order.

Player A: Instantly receives the Ghost Iron Ore in their mail box.

Player B: Instantly receives the 600g that Player A paid up-front for the order.

This would definitely help the situation on many servers because most players trying to control/manipulate the Auction House simply don't have the stocks. They rely on undercutting other players 24/7 or forcing the prices down to buy out all the stock and flip it!

After all who is more important to Blizzard? The 1000s of players who just want to make gold to enjoy the game or the handful of players that want to manipulate the economies because thats the only part of the game they enjoy?

Edit was for item code error and typo
Edited by Daftmonk on 20/12/2012 12:23 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
+1 for this. Would be so much easier getting stuff on low-pop realms at least. (Another option would to have CRZ AH)
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
That seems like a pretty good idea to me. +1
Reply Quote
nice idea but they would have to totally rework the AH which i don't see happening tbh. would love to see it tho :)
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
well the idea itself sounds nice but it kinda flawed... why would i place an order to buy something for lets say 500g stack while theres ppl undercutting others to 400g stack?

and lets say the raid is starting ohh my im missing some pots/flasks -> i need to put some freaking oder to get them? dont have time for that i need them NOW!

the idea sound rly good for the ppl that wants the money (selling side) but u just didnt rly think the other side...
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
well the idea itself sounds nice but it kinda flawed... why would i place an order to buy something for lets say 500g stack while theres ppl undercutting others to 400g stack?

and lets say the raid is starting ohh my im missing some pots/flasks -> i need to put some freaking oder to get them? dont have time for that i need them NOW!

the idea sound rly good for the ppl that wants the money (selling side) but u just didnt rly think the other side...

For the first example you give, you just wouldn't do that. The point of the Purchase Order is to allow people who need items/mats to declare that they want them for a certain price.

This price would most likely be cheaper than the person fixing the market is selling them for. Usually the person fixing the market doesn't have the stock, so the Purchase Order allows normal players to fulfill those orders quickly making instant gold and diminishing the power of the player trying to manipulate/control the market.

As for the other side, the Purchase Order would allow you to get the items/mats you want for cheaper than the person fixing the market is selling them for and probably faster, seeing as people who need gold will try to fill your order as fast as possible.. and if thats not good enough for you there's always the original Buy It Now option on the AH.

At least having the Purchase Order option would make it harder for certain players to manipulate the market and if you know you're definitely raiding on certain nights you could place a Purchase Order a few days in advance.

Edit:

If you forget and just need the flasks/mats last minute then the AH would still work for you the way it does now.
Edited by Daftmonk on 20/12/2012 13:28 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
This is a great idea. +1 for this!!
Reply Quote
Community
Personally I must say I kind of like this idea, not sure if it would be that easy to implement tough.
Could be something like a simple WTB AH tab, and I supposed a timer would need to be associated with the purchase order as well.

But to be honest I think we would see some sort of reversed undercutting between buyers.
Let’s imagine for example:

Player A: Wants to buy 10 Fight Club at 1337 gold each.
Player B: Sees Player A’s offer and decides he wants to buy 10 Fight Club at 1338 each.
Player C: See’s all the available options and sells to the “highest bidder” = Player B.

I would still have a few concerns though, this would probably bring excessive complexity to the AH, because for example, if you are a seller, you are probably going to end up doing some extra work, not only you will have to check the current AH prices from other sellers (competitors), but you would also check the buyers offers against one another and against the current sellers prices in order to find the option that would benefit you the most.

Buyers would see a similar competition to sellers when they face constant undercutting. This would probably create a certain frustration because when you are a buyer, chances are you need those items more urgently than when you are a seller, since sellers only get gold.
So the sense of urgency from buyers would probably work against the success of this implementation.

Still I think this is a good idea and I’m probably exaggerating a bit when I speculate about the possible consequences. We just need to make sure that ideas are sound before we spend resources on them, we need to be sure that not only they would work, but that enough players would actually benefit and experience better gameplay because of it.
I’ll share the suggestion with the devs, but I suspect this isn’t something new to them, we’ll see.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue
This would be a good tool for really rare items
Reply Quote
I'd love to see a work-order program for Craftables, I find it more annoying to not be able to get Craftables than risking some undercut raw mats.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
There would need to be a cheaper on the AH icon somewhere involved.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
But to be honest I think we would see some sort of reversed undercutting between buyers.

Player B: Sees Player A’s offer and decides he wants to buy 10 Fight Club at 1338 each.
Player C: See’s all the available options and sells to the “highest bidder” = Player B.

Buyers would see a similar competition to sellers when they face constant undercutting. This would probably create a certain frustration because when you are a buyer, chances are you need those items more urgently than when you are a seller, since sellers only get gold.
So the sense of urgency from buyers would probably work against the success of this implementation.

This could be true, but the Purchase Orders require you to put down the gold up-front. This would attract those players more in genuine need of the items/mats as it would not be a valid tactic for those who want to manipulate the market because it would simply tie-up too much of their gold and probably be too time consuming to try and manipulate the Purchase Order market too.

20/12/2012 13:41Posted by Taepsilum
I’ll share the suggestion with the devs, but I suspect this isn’t something new to them, we’ll see.

Thanks Taepsilum, appreciate it.

And please keep posting all your feedback guys appreciate it also, its your feedback that helps Blizz to think about suggestions like this.
Edited by Daftmonk on 20/12/2012 14:16 GMT
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
90 Worgen Druid
I've seen this on Travian, or at least a very similar thing (you trade resources rather than "cash 4 wood/ore/wheat" and such), and this works really well. I'm sure in WoW it would be a fantastic addition, and would remove a lot of competition and manipulation of money involved.

+1 Likey. Let's see this happen.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
This is the same thing EVE online has it's great I don't know why it isn't in the game already to be honest.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
For low-pop servers where the AH is absolutely devoid of items not regularly bought this would be a Godsend.
Reply Quote
3 Human Hunter
I think it's a terrific idea, and I don't see why this would create problems with 'reverse undercutting'. It's the same way now. It so happens that sometimes, items on the AH are grossly overpriced by speculators. This would level the playing field a bit.
Reply Quote
3 Human Hunter
I would use this feature a lot if it were available, I always buy primary materials for crafting and not always need them urgently. I would be perfectly ok to put in purchase orders, and have the mats sold to me or not by the next day.

If you guys are thinking that most people use buyout instead of simply bidding on items, hence the impression of "urgency", the reason is not that they necessarily need them at that moment, it's because it's usually a waste of time to bid, there usually is someone who just buys everything, and all you get in the mailbox is your gold back.

It can also happen that sellers need gold fast, rather than waiting for someone to buy their stuff which sometimes can take a while, this way they just fill the purchase order if one is available for the items they want to sell, and get instant gold.
Edited by Militia on 20/12/2012 14:31 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
however this was implemented it could also incorporate something i always wanted in wow from eve online.

putting a bounty on someone.

so when you are ganked by someone more than 3 lvls above you. lets say.

you recieve a tracking item in your bags lets say. a piece of metal broken off in your head.

you then take said piece to the AH and say i give 50g or whatever to the person who kills this guy.

hmm as i am typing this i am realising it would need quest mechanics too.

it would still be awesome i am sure there are thousands of players who would like to be their servers bounty hunter. and i know i would be more than willing to pay to have the cowardly gankers punished.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Personally I must say I kind of like this idea, not sure if it would be that easy to implement tough.
Could be something like a simple WTB AH tab, and I supposed a timer would need to be associated with the purchase order as well.

I would still have a few concerns though, this would probably bring excessive complexity to the AH, because for example, if you are a seller, you are probably going to end up doing some extra work, not only you will have to check the current AH prices from other sellers (competitors), but you would also check the buyers offers against one another and against the current sellers prices in order to find the option that would benefit you the most.

Still I think this is a good idea and I’m probably exaggerating a bit when I speculate about the possible consequences. We just need to make sure that ideas are sound before we spend resources on them, we need to be sure that not only they would work, but that enough players would actually benefit and experience better gameplay because of it.

EVE online has this implemented. You get to see players competing on buy orders all the time. I think it is good for the product's value.

It also promotes forward planning for professions. Jewel crafters can buy ore in advance of needing them, at a price that allows profit.

lets take ghost ore as an demonstrative example

you go to the ah and Ghost ore is 100g a stack. You dont want to pay that price as it is usually 60g a stack

So you set up a buy order for 50-60g a stack, say for 400 stacks. A seller comes to the AH with 50 stacks. Sees that it is 100g a stack sell. He has a choice of pricing it at under 100g per stack, or selling to the buyer at 50-60g. Removing 50 stacks from the buy order, in the process.

From the buyers point of view there are two advantages. The first being that, He does not have to keep going into the AH to check if price is at the level he is willing to pay, And he is getting the product for a price he deems fair.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]