Isn't it about time for purchase orders on the AH!?

90 Human Paladin

But to be honest I think we would see some sort of reversed undercutting between buyers.
Let’s imagine for example:

Player A: Wants to buy 10 Fight Club at 1337 gold each.
Player B: Sees Player A’s offer and decides he wants to buy 10 Fight Club at 1338 each.
Player C: See’s all the available options and sells to the “highest bidder” = Player B.

You broke the first rule of Fight Club.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
20/12/2012 13:41Posted by Taepsilum
not sure if it would be that easy to implement tough.

I think runescape did this lol... or something similar i could be wrong
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin

and lets say the raid is starting ohh my im missing some pots/flasks -> i need to put some freaking oder to get them? dont have time for that i need them NOW!

You don't need to put an order, you can still buy the unsold auctions for x amount of money.

This is pretty much the same idea other games have had over the years, and some have even made it work just fine.

GW2 for example, the Black Lion Trading Company is just spectacular.
Reply Quote
100 Human Hunter
This is indeed a normal thing in lots of online games so i dont see really why it would be so difficult. I was very suprised when i started wow yrs ago that they didnt have this option.

Its a great suggestion and i hope it will be done :)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Patch 5.5 Introducing the Stock House
---------------------------------------------------
The Stock House (TM) is an alternative way to sell your goods. Money Incorporate owned by dwarfes and gnomes setup a brand new experience.

Good sellers and customers can place their orders on the Stock House. Every hour a qualified Stock House Price Master will set a price that will allow most goods to sell.

Sellers: will give their goods to a Stock House employee and will tell them a money range they will sell their goods for.

Buyers: will tell a Stock House employee the amount of good they intend to buy and their price range as well.

So we might have
Seller A: 30 units of Ore at least 15.99 G
Seller B: 20 units of Ore at least 18.00 G
Seller C: 12 units of Ore at least 19.00 G

Buyer A: 10 units of Ore at most 9.00 G
Buyer B: 10 units of Ore at most 16.00 G
Buyer C: 10 units of Ore at most 20.00 G
Buyer D: 10 units of Ore at most 20.00 G

The price gone would set the price to 15.99 and would transact 30 units of ore Between Seller A and Buyer B,C,D.

Advantages:

• buyers demands could be visible
  • if there is no match between sellers and buyers and no transaction can take place an average could be displayed and tell players that it was not possible to meet that demand - that could result in the respective parties to change their pricing
  • since the bids are not visible there is no undercutting. Only the sell price is visible - and is connected to the most goods sellable

Tuning:

• it could be possible that the Stock house sells goods cross realm for a higher fee - Enabling good overflowing realms to release some goods to good starving realms
    (and too many goods lead to lower prices - where a lack of goods leads to devaluation - thus the transaction would even out these disparities)
  • Stock house pricing might need to be throttled to only 4 times a day to the lack of goods and the impossibility to make a proper pricing
  • putting items on the stock house could be done with some delay - e.g. only takes place in the next and not current pricing
  • the amount of time a bit / order has might need to be extended from 48 hours to 7 days - Some wares are too rare or certain offers must wait for desperate people

Disadvantage:
  • current undercutters cannot control the Stock House as easily as they can the Auction house as only the final price is visible - unable to looks for competitors and cancel and repost their wares
  • wares cannot be acquired in an instant like the buyout method on the auction house - especially impatient people will want to stick with the auction house
Edited by Alrun on 21/12/2012 01:04 GMT
Reply Quote
88 Pandaren Monk
* Prevent spammability by having an interface that lets you first identify the item you are looking for through a search engine, and which then shows you Buy and Sell orders, sorted by price.

* Remove the deposit. The only purpose it serves is to prevent spam. Spam should be prevented by an efficient UI, not by an arbitrary cost per item.

These are just straight up terrible. What possible good can come from making the UI more cumbersome "just because"? "Spammability" is a VERY good thing - the more things that can be automated at the AH the better the market becomes for both buyers AND sellers big or small. There is no possible benefit that can be made for anyone by inconveniencing them. To tell the truth I have no idea what "spam" even means in this context - having many items available at any stack size or price helps everyone and hampers no one.

The deposit is a gold sink and has nothing to do with preventing "spam" (and most things don't have a deposit to post anyways).

You do not understand what i mean by "spammability". My bad for not explaining.
Currently, if somebody posts 4000 carrots on the AH by quantity of 1, it simply removes the ability for people without addons to use the AH to buy carrots in higher stacks.

I assume the original reason for the existence of deposits is to prevent people from posting too many items in the AH. I believe that this issue can be adressed by a better interface, rather than by a deposit which is a deterrent to a free economy.
Reply Quote
however this was implemented it could also incorporate something i always wanted in wow from eve online.

putting a bounty on someone.

so when you are ganked by someone more than 3 lvls above you. lets say.

you recieve a tracking item in your bags lets say. a piece of metal broken off in your head.

you then take said piece to the AH and say i give 50g or whatever to the person who kills this guy.

hmm as i am typing this i am realising it would need quest mechanics too.

it would still be awesome i am sure there are thousands of players who would like to be their servers bounty hunter. and i know i would be more than willing to pay to have the cowardly gankers punished.
I like the idea of being able to put bounties on PvP players. The only caveat being that it would need to be confined to PvP realms because all someone on a PvE realm would have to do to defeat it would be to change his flag settings.
Reply Quote
Patch 5.5 Introducing the Stock House
---------------------------------------------------
The Stock House (TM) is an alternative way to sell your goods. Money Incorporate owned by dwarfes and gnomes setup a brand new experience.

Good sellers and customers can place their orders on the Stock House. Every hour a qualified Stock House Price Master will set a price that will allow most goods to sell.

Sellers: will give their goods to a Stock House employee and will tell them a money range they will sell their goods for.

Buyers: will tell a Stock House employee the amount of good they intend to buy and their price range as well.

So we might have
Seller A: 30 units of Ore at least 15.99 G
Seller B: 20 units of Ore at least 18.00 G
Seller C: 12 units of Ore at least 19.00 G

Buyer A: 10 units of Ore at most 9.00 G
Buyer B: 10 units of Ore at most 16.00 G
Buyer C: 10 units of Ore at most 20.00 G
Buyer D: 10 units of Ore at most 20.00 G

The price gone would set the price to 15.99 and would transact 30 units of ore Between Seller A and Buyer B,C,D.

Advantages:

• buyers demands could be visible
  • if there is no match between sellers and buyers and no transaction can take place an average could be displayed and tell players that it was not possible to meet that demand - that could result in the respective parties to change their pricing
  • since the bids are not visible there is no undercutting. Only the sell price is visible - and is connected to the most goods sellable

Tuning:

• it could be possible that the Stock house sells goods cross realm for a higher fee - Enabling good overflowing realms to release some goods to good starving realms
    (and too many goods lead to lower prices - where a lack of goods leads to devaluation - thus the transaction would even out these disparities)
  • Stock house pricing might need to be throttled to only 4 times a day to the lack of goods and the impossibility to make a proper pricing
  • putting items on the stock house could be done with some delay - e.g. only takes place in the next and not current pricing
  • the amount of time a bit / order has might need to be extended from 48 hours to 7 days - Some wares are too rare or certain offers must wait for desperate people

Disadvantage:
  • current undercutters cannot control the Stock House as easily as they can the Auction house as only the final price is visible - unable to looks for competitors and cancel and repost their wares
  • wares cannot be acquired in an instant like the buyout method on the auction house - especially impatient people will want to stick with the auction house
Keep it simple.

As a seller I would like to be able to go to the Trading House and either sell my goods immediately at the best prices on offer or decide that the offers are not good enough and put my goods on the AH instead.

As a buyer I would like to be able to go to the AH and check the prices. If I'm not willing to pay the prices being asked I want to be able to go to the Trading House instead and place a buy order at the price I'm willing to pay. Buy orders should have a default of expiry of 24 hours with the option to set them to either 12 hours or 48 hours instead, just like auctions.

That simple. No complications.

One of the best things about this system would that sellers who aren't able find the right price to sell their goods at on the AH because of market players delaying the process by screening in tiny increments can find out what buyers are willing to pay and either fulfil a buy order or post goods at a higher but still realistic price on the AH.

Screening activities by market players are easy to spot. They usually use tiny increments, for example undercutting something posted at 10,000g by 1g. If the most that players are willing to pay for that item is 5,000g other sellers have no way of knowing and it will take weeks or even months to discover the right price undercutting at that rate. Players genuinely interested in finding the real market price of an item typically use increments of at least 1% and a minimum bid price that's at least 10% below the buyout price.
Edited by Panamat on 21/12/2012 01:42 GMT
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
Good idea, even though gw2 has done it already;)
Reply Quote
100 Orc Death Knight
21/12/2012 02:04Posted by Killzalot
Good idea, even though gw2 has done it already;)

lol EVE Online did it way before that :D

Anyway it's a good idea and works quite well in EVE,however I don't see it working as well in WoW.Most ppl go to the ah if they need something imediately,such as mats for crafted gear,enchants,gems,etc.The reason it works in EVE is because their entire economy is player driven,meaning everythings value is decided by players.This is not the case in WoW as you have vendor bought mats which has a determining factor on the price.

Also in EVE you have multiple ah which means something might be going for 5g in org while its going for 10g in Two Moons.The difference is that in EVE it takes longer and is often extremely dangerous to travel to zones where stuff sell for less so they settle for the higher price,or make a purchase order.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
Absolutely fantastic idea, both as a buyer and seller.

Being able to sell stuff instantly if I like the order will make me spend less time at the AH reposting the same auctions because I get undercutted, and as a buyer I see tons of advantages, like searching for missing patterns (also because is pretty unreal to spam the trade chat for those), for a specific item or pet, for mats that are currently unavailable on the normal AH or are overpriced, so I don't have to search the AH that often or spam trade-chat every 5 min.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
How about something like in addition to the actual item(s) you're selling you attach a badge of reputation. There are many different factions in the game and these badges would grant some reputation when used.

Player A wants to buy x item
Player B wants to sell x item
Player C sees that Player B wants to sell x item but he wants to sell too. So he undercuts.

Now if player C undercuts player B by a small amount, player A might still buy from player B if he has a badge of reputation attached to his auction that he is more interested in, even though the price is a bit higher.

How one would go about acquiring these badges, I don't know. And it doesn't need to be anything like that. The point is if something with a lot of diversity could be attached to auctions, it'd help fight the undercutting wars.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter

You do not understand what i mean by "spammability". My bad for not explaining.
Currently, if somebody posts 4000 carrots on the AH by quantity of 1, it simply removes the ability for people without addons to use the AH to buy carrots in higher stacks.

I assume the original reason for the existence of deposits is to prevent people from posting too many items in the AH. I believe that this issue can be adressed by a better interface, rather than by a deposit which is a deterrent to a free economy.

Yes I'm sorry I misunderstood here - the default auction house UI definitely needs an improvement in this area, but the solution should be to let you simply buy 200 carrots by clicking a carrot auction and entering that you want 200 of them - not preventing people from posting many single stacks.

This is how the commodity AH works in Diablo 3 and it's a feature that hopefully should seep over into wow in the future.

(Incidentally this is also a problem that would be fixed by buy orders alone, as you could simply put in a buy order for 200 carrots at the sell price of those auctions, which would then instantly match and send them to you.)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
Uhm dont they already have something like this... called TRADE CHANNEL?
Reply Quote
39 Goblin Shaman
+ Make a battle net feature to track prices (like stock market style)

+ Make an ITEMS OF THE WEEK blog every week which analyzes which item has a chance to sell good

Pretty sure you can do this by checking theunderminejournal.com
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I'd really love this. I'm a skinner but I'm out in Azeroth a lot doing my own thing. I miss the Trade Chat "WTB Heavy Leather." etc. It would also help me consolidate my time knowing how much market there is for one leather and not another so I can focus on stocking one or two types.
Reply Quote
+ Make a battle net feature to track prices (like stock market style)

+ Make an ITEMS OF THE WEEK blog every week which analyzes which item has a chance to sell good

Pretty sure you can do this by checking theunderminejournal.com
I hadn't heard about that site before - first time to check it out and I picked up something I wanted on two different alts. Thank you Rekna.
Edited by Panamat on 21/12/2012 09:49 GMT
Reply Quote
39 Goblin Shaman
I hadn't heard about that site before - first time to check it out and I picked up something I wanted on two different alts. Thank you Rekna.

NP :)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
21/12/2012 01:20Posted by Panamat
One of the best things about this system would that sellers who aren't able find the right price to sell their goods at on the AH because of market players delaying the process by screening in tiny increments can find out what buyers are willing to pay and either fulfil a buy order or post goods at a higher but still realistic price on the AH.

Absolutely!

21/12/2012 04:00Posted by Ichirei
Being able to sell stuff instantly if I like the order will make me spend less time at the AH reposting the same auctions because I get undercutted, and as a buyer I see tons of advantages, like searching for missing patterns (also because is pretty unreal to spam the trade chat for those), for a specific item or pet, for mats that are currently unavailable on the normal AH or are overpriced, so I don't have to search the AH that often or spam trade-chat every 5 min.

And I completely agree with this too.

I'm seeing a lot of people mentioning Runescape, EVE and GW2 (none of which i've played) already implement a similar system so hopefully this shows the idea could work with some success.

Please keep your feedback and support coming guys, really appreciate it, the thread has currently had 696 views, so if your reading and like the idea please drop in a +1 :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]