Are Blizzard a group of hypocrites?

(Locked)

So i've been away for a very very long time(private reasons) and decided to come back playing this game, just to realise that my old accounts were permanently banned.

I decided to appeal it since i knew that i've done nothing wrong.
Appearently i got the following reply after a conversation with CSFeedbackEU:

Our evidence shows that the account was accessed by someone who proceeded to use third-party software on it, which is against our Terms of Use (http://eu.blizzard.com/en-gb/company/legal/wow_tou.html)

Regardless of who this was, unfortunately the use of such third-party software will result in the account being permanently suspended. As explained in our Terms of Use, you are responsible for maintaining the security of your account, and for all actions taken on it. As such, regrettably there is no way that I can remove this suspension.

Meanwhile, at the same time at Blizzards own homepage they say, and i quote:

"If we see that your account was likely compromised (your account information was taken without your knowledge) we recognize that you should not be held responsible for the actions on the account."

Isn't this sort of the behavior of a hypocrite? Saying one thing to people on the "outside" while doing the complete opposite behind the curtains?

Oh well.. Guess i just needed to ventilate a minor amount of anger here..
90 Blood Elf Rogue
They can see the log in IP.

They will therefore know if it was used using your "normal" IP, or one in another far off land, usually China or Russia.

They will therefore know if it was used using your "normal" IP, or one in another far off land, usually China or Russia.

But then we'll get into a question of racial prejudice, don't we?
If they think that unless it's China or Russia it can't be hacked. That almost sound like rasism if you ask me.. ^^

And also afaik if it's a trojan RAT they actually connect using "your" IP which will then look like it's you playing, not that i ever got to find out the specific behavior involved in this case..

I still think it is rather odd behavior, especially since i provided a copy of the courts decission to lock me in - not prison but i just didn't feel too well at the time..
Quite a strong alibi for the period they are accusing me for playing and cheating i'd say..
That is unless they claim you have computers and World of Warcraft in the psychiatric care ofc..

Would've been quite awesome if they did.. Nothing to do but to play 24/7..
Edited by Keyos on 13/12/2012 07:36 GMT
90 Draenei Warrior
13/12/2012 07:29Posted by Làdysylvanas

It's the opposite but yeah.

Ontopic, yes, they are a bunch of hypocrites, my classmate for example had been botting bgs for two days straight and he got a 3 hours ban. Like... really?

I was also hacked once in WotLK where the hacker used something to level mining and stuff on my character, didn't get banned, but they did help me with getting my account back as well as restoring all the things I lost on the character.

So it does sound quite baffling that they permabanned you because someone had hacked your account yes.
12 Pandaren Monk
If you can't protect your account, you're a liability that'll sooner or later again be yet another BG, dungeon, or gathering bot.

Good riddance. See it as being banned for being stupid.

Besides, your post will get locked and disappear. This kind of stuff isn't discussed here, and the only thing it'll get you is a forum suspension on top of everything else.
If you can't protect your account, you're a liability that'll sooner or later again be yet another BG, dungeon, or gathering bot.

How is one to protect your account when you're not available for over a year?
You're not the very brightest person are you? Think a little now and it might come to you..

The only thing i can blame myself for is not having an authenticator but that's it.
It's not like i made www.hereismypassword.com and gave it away.

As a matter fact my password consist of letters, then numbers and then letters again, so i guess being smart i should just use numbers, since im stupid ey?
90 Draenei Warrior

Besides, your post will get locked and disappear. This kind of stuff isn't discussed here, and the only thing it'll get you is a forum suspension on top of everything else.

13/12/2012 07:53Posted by Porters

Who's what now?
OP

There's a difference between someone who still pays a subscription reporting that their account has been compromised and Blizzard being the ones to realize that an inactive account has been compromised. Why should they give the same level of service to someone who is no longer a subscriber and may never return?
Edited by Panamat on 13/12/2012 08:13 GMT
OP

There's a difference between someone who still pays a subscription reporting that their account has been compromised and Blizzard being the ones to realize that an inactive account has been compromised. Why should they give the same level of service to someone who is no longer a subscriber and may never return?

If i were not to return, why would i then bother to get my account back? That make no sense.
And speaking of paying customers, i doubt they would take that into consideration, just like i doubt they would pull out the red carpet for multiboxers paying for multiple accounts.
I've had the account since the official WoW release day so i've spent and paid quite a lot on it as it is.
OP

So that he returns? Not assisting someone who obviously wants to return (if they wouldn't want to do so then they wouldn't try to get back their account) is like saying: Nope, we don't need more revenue.

OP: You seem sincere and the only thing I can advise you is to appeal again until you get hold of someone at customer service who dosen't outright dismiss your claims. If I'm not mistaken Blizzard also has a telephone number which you can call for assistance. Maybe that would yield a better result.

EDIT:

I can't believe the amount of hostility in some posts. Really, guys? Really?! We should be cheering on people who want to either subscribe for the first time or return from a hiatus because it means one more people to meet, to have a conversation with and to enjoy the game together.
Edited by Kundarea on 13/12/2012 08:35 GMT
90 Human Warlock
Blizzard are saying someone who knew you botted and it wasn't done from another country.

Edit: you could use the argument that you never agreed to the most recent terms of use and therefore it doesn't apply to you. Depending on how long ago you last played.

edit again: I take the account you are posting on isn't your old account as "Last updated on 09/12/2012" means you logged in 4 days ago and you are posting in the General forums, which you can't do with an inactive account.
Edited by Dottie on 13/12/2012 09:41 GMT
so what should blizz do then?
1 Troll Warlock
Personaly i think Blizzard like being pretty damn sure about permbanning accounts, i suppose you could get it back, but it all depends on what they know and what "story" you come up with.

If your story is plausable and fits Blizzards facts you would have a chance to get it back.
90 Human Warlock
Personaly i think Blizzard like being pretty damn sure about permbanning accounts, i suppose you could get it back, but it all depends on what they know and what "story" you come up with.

If your story is plausible and fits Blizzards facts you would have a chance to get it back.

Since the reply was from the CSFeedbackEU email I doubt they will review it again.
Edited by Dottie on 13/12/2012 09:43 GMT
13/12/2012 09:34Posted by Dottie
edit again: I take the account you are posting on isn't your old account as "Last updated on 09/12/2012" means you logged in 4 days ago and you are posting in the General forums, which you can't do with an inactive account.

Correct, and can't really post with a perma banned account either! ;)

In regards to the permanent ban i am not sure what the major reason they won't look into it further is, a friend of mine said that the longer the suspension has been there the lower are the chances of ever getting the said account back.
unfortunately for me i was away for over a year. :(
1 Troll Warlock

If your story is plausible and fits Blizzards facts you would have a chance to get it back.

Since the reply was from the CSFeedbackEU email I doubt they will review it again.

Well if the OP is legitimate as such, then i see no reason why he cant get it back.

Ive read of permabans being lifted . Buty then again maybe thats just some BS i read.
I'd advise phoning Customer Support and/or sending a written 'dead tree' letter (with copies of the evidence you couldn't possibly be playing at the time).

At the least they could give more infromation on what horrible, horrible deeds have been comitted on your inactive account that (to make some comparisons) amount being worse than 'going Mittani' (ie using public, CCP-sponsored events to entice people to make someone commit suicide, resulting in a measly month suspension) or willfully abusing on an organized scale bugs and holes in the system (like abusing the LFR bug for ladder gain - week suspension - and the rampant Ranking abuses - mostly slap on the wrist)

As others have said, there are reasonable limits to what they can expect people to do to protect their inactive accounts, in fact, going by e.g. Dutch law one could argue it's primarily Blizzard's responsibility to protect inactive accounts instead and they should prove (it to be likely that) it's your fault your account was compromised. Consumer rights and all.
Depending on your mileage and country things might work the same with your judicial system.

But again, finding a amiacable way to solve this would be best, and calling/writting dead tree may yield better results.
Edited by Buckee on 13/12/2012 09:58 GMT
The OP was caught botting and got his account banned. Blizz did well here. Move along.
This thread is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]