What about Archaeology?

90 Night Elf Hunter
Long time after MOP start i decide to start digging to raise my archaeology from 525 to 600, in same day i loot [Spear of Xuen], [Umbrella of Chi-Ji], [Anatomical Dummy],Quilen Statuette].
So thats it about archaeology (armor or weapon or mount) loot in MOP??? OR i miss something?
Reply Quote
45 Night Elf Druid
Archaeology, as far as I know, has never been about getting uber lewts. It's more meant to be a time filler than anything else, at least I think that was the design.

It's also a decent levelling tool, assuming the digs appear in the zones you are questing in, since each time you 'loot' an artifact, you gain a pretty decent amount of XP. Also most minor artifacts vendor for a good amount too.

It's more of a vanity thing really due to the pets and mounts you can get, or for lore fans who appreciate the flavour of it. You can get BoA epics, which at this early stage in MoP may be useful at end game, but they're never meant to be game breaking.
Reply Quote
Community
Archaeology is also a secondary profession, which kind of implies it should not provide better items or improvements than primary professions. Of course on the other hand, being a secondary profession makes it possible for everyone to have it which makes it a somewhat nice profession since it sort of implies equality between players.

The truth is, archaeology is not for everyone, although we have cut down on the necessary travel time to find dig sites by having 6 dig locations per site instead of 3, and added some extra surprise dig sites in Pandaria, there’s still players who won’t go for it, and that’s perfectly fine, there’s a lot of different content in MoP that was made to appeal to different kinds of players.

Keep in mind that we’re still in the very early stages of MoP, we have said that we wanted to keep updating the game and adding patches more frequently with this expansion, chances are, professions might also get some love with some of those patches, so don’t despair, it’s still only the beginning.
Whenever we have some news regarding updates to any of the professions we'll make sure to let you know.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
I feel like the devs tried to make both cooking and archaeology more fun and more exciting but they only succeeded with cooking(Personal opinion). There was nothing new that was really tempting with Archaeology in MoP.

I still like farming the other mounts from Archaeology :)
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
19/12/2012 13:44Posted by Taepsilum
The truth is, archaeology is not for everyone, although we have cut down on the necessary travel time to find dig sites by having 6 dig locations per site instead of 3, and added some extra surprise dig sites in Pandaria, there’s still players who won’t go for it, and that’s perfectly fine, there’s a lot of different content in MoP that was made to appeal to different kinds of players.

I agree archaeology is not for everyone. but in my opinion now in MoP it's not for anyone.

"its a time filler" as Shallen said
True, but this timer filler doesnt get you anything cool (rare pet or mount or transmog items), it doesnt make you a bit of gold for the time spend (indirectly it can but in the most ineffecient way for a tiny bit).

And in my eyes the treasures scattered around Pandaria are nice, but to me they said: ok archaeology failed in cata due to too many people disliking it lets just put the items on the ground.

Having that said, i still hope there will be a change/update that makes it worth doing archeaology

19/12/2012 11:24Posted by Shallen
It's more of a vanity thing really due to the pets and mounts you can get, or for lore fans who appreciate the flavour of it. You can get BoA epics, which at this early stage in MoP may be useful at end game, but they're never meant to be game breaking.

i might be mistaken, but none of what you mentioned are obtainable in archeaology, unless you count the mounts/pets from cata. the rest still isnt there?
Edited by Noctus on 19/12/2012 14:19 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
added some extra surprise dig sites in Pandaria

What's this about? I'm at 16/20 Seat of Knowledge so I think I've seen about everything there is to see about Pandaria Archaeology by now, not sure what you mean with that?

Also, I totally understand not giving high level epics for doing Archaeology anymore because people would feel forced to do it then. How about LFR-level Archaeology items though? Almost everyone has access to LFR, or they could at least get it easily with a few dungeon runs for the ilvl. I also really liked being able to get a few mounts and pets from Archaeology. It added some diversity to the rewards, for Pandaria it all seemed very bland. Sorry if this second paragraph looks like 'throw free loot at me', that's really not how I meant it =) and that's why they're called rares after all, you'd still have to work for it.
Reply Quote
45 Night Elf Druid
19/12/2012 14:16Posted by Noctus
i might be mistaken, but none of what you mentioned are obtainable in archeaology, unless you count the mounts/pets from cata. the rest still isnt there?

I was speaking in general terms, rather than about archaeology in Pandaria.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
Archaeology has way to many Mogu dig sites compared to Pandaren Dig Sites. Blizz need to add more Pandaren dig sites imo.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
19/12/2012 14:51Posted by Shallen

I was speaking in general terms, rather than about archaeology in Pandaria.

ah ok, suddenly scared i missed something :p
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Keep in mind that we’re still in the very early stages of MoP, we have said that we wanted to keep updating the game and adding patches more frequently with this expansion, chances are, professions might also get some love with some of those patches, so don’t despair, it’s still only the beginning.

Mantid archaeology stuff? MANTID ARCHAEOLOGY STUFF! Come on, Blizz, I want a Pandaria mantids style Scepter of Azj'Aqir :-). Mantid leftovers for Archaeloogy have definetely been missing so far on Pandaria.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I feel like the motivation for doing Archaelogy is gone, not because of high end gear is away, but the no new pets or mounts, only 4 items and none of them is any sort of gimmick item you could show for just showing, there is my problem with it
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
If the theme is 'some love for archeology in future patches' I would like to suggest adding a plant to our garden that allows you to collect archeology fragments. There are plants with resources for most main professions and surely a plant 'whose roots dig so deep they get entangled in old artifacts' would fit into the game quite well.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
Got my hands on the four items months ago.., cba to do arch till more stuff gets available.
But hey its the same with engineering, when maxed it sucks to :)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Its long time since MOP start and archaeology its only about four items,you could put for example some treasure 5 or 10k, some epic mounts or some good looking transform gear.
And hey Its no big job i think for the programmers.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]