Helping the Alts

90 Orc Shaman
ZLY
Hi guys,

Just an idea,

I have lots of alts - I love playing the different characters and learning the new spells etc. But its really hard to grind the same armor and weapons over and over again though !!

I know you guys have done something with rep making it easy for alts but I have an idea re armor / weapons.

Why not each season when new equipment becomes available allow you to pass the old unwanted season items to 1x character only.

i.e when this season ends I would like to pass my old season 12 axe and armor to my DK.

If this was restricted to 1x person only and not account bound it stops the swapping of weapons and still keeps some control over the items.

this would enable people with alts and the same armor / weapon type to instantly do dungeons / Bg's / Arenas - rather than feeling hopelessly under-geared.

I blue response would be nice :) thanks
Edited by Darkthunder on 14/12/2012 15:11 GMT
Reply Quote
71 Draenei Shaman
This would be where heirlooms would come in handy wouldn't it? ;P
Reply Quote
Community
Hello Darkthunder,

We recognize that MoP is probably not the most alt-friendly of all the expansions and since WoW has been running for so long with its persistent world where characters usually don’t get deleted very often, it’s normal to expect a higher average number of alts per player as time goes on.
Our development team is very aware of this and they are trying to find more solutions for alts in MoP.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I can't even use my VP on my alt Shaman because I refuse to grind the rep a second time to get the revered epics. Way, way too time consuming with just doing dailies on my Monk, aswel as raiding.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
The first thing Blizzard needs to do is to focus on shortening the Q times on their content. That way players have more time to actually play instead of sitting in a Q - LFR or LFG specially. That gives players more time to PLAY alts.

Personally I dont bother with alts much but I can see how ppl that like to have many characters are having a nightmare time atm. Its ok to do things on 1 character. But to do the same things over and over and over and over again like dailies and even dungeons - it becomes so boring because the lvl of social interaction is so low.

BLizzard once again need to sit down and improve the social interaction within the game. They need to create good solid social content that makes the guild become the key in character progression. Solo play has zero meaning - and there for daily quests are the worst content awailable to retain player interest. Even tho old system where ppl put on a tabard and did a dungeon with 4 other total strangers had more value than current form of dailies.
Edited by Anon on 14/12/2012 16:06 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
14/12/2012 15:26Posted by Taepsilum
Our development team is very aware of this and they are trying to find more solutions for alts in MoP.

Simple, detatch VP gear from Faction reputation and increase VP earned from Dungeons, LFR and Scenarios.
Problem solved!

What's there to think about?!?!?

Reputation grind should be for vanity items or special patterns/recipes (50 slot bags, imba gems, etc).
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
14/12/2012 15:26Posted by Taepsilum

NOOOOO
Please, don't pull your pants down every time someone complains about the game having too much content for their alts.

If you want to progress your main character, you should put a lot of effort to achieve that goal. And obviously, you have to subtract time that you could spend on alters.
If you want to progress 2 or more characters, it's a fair thing that you have to subtract time from your main (or spend even more time on wow), and be harder than people with only 1 playable character.

I don't see a problem here, just cryers wanting the game to be even easier (it's casual friendly now, what else?) than it is now.

Cataclysm was alt-friendly and we all know what happened: People bored on cities, with not enought content to do.
Please do not repeat mistakes from the past. People who want to progress with main and alts, should have to sacrifice some time, like we the people who only plays with our main sacrifice the time we could spend on leveling and gearing an alt.
Edited by Inoruk on 14/12/2012 16:20 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

Simple, detatch VP gear from Faction reputation and increase VP earned from Dungeons, LFR and Scenarios.
Problem solved!

What's there to think about?!?!?

Reputation grind should be for vanity items or special patterns/recipes (50 slot bags, imba gems, etc).

Ye - I agree that valor and rep grind makes it a double gated content that really isn't needed when it comes to alts.

There is also a very serious issues when it comes to offspecs this expansion. With so many alts lvling up as dps because of all of the dailies - it makes the game very unbalanced in terms of roles. Speically now when you only gain gear for the spec you are playing while lvling. This leads to ppl having very little chance of trying out other roles like healing or tanking later on in the expansion.
Edited by Anon on 14/12/2012 16:33 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

Cataclysm was alt-friendly and we all know what happened: People bored on cities, with not enought content to do.
Please do not repeat mistakes from the past. People who want to progress with main and alts, should have to sacrifice some time, like we the people who only plays with our main sacrifice the time we could spend on leveling and gearing an alt.

PPL stopped playing DS because it was the only content out for 8 months ...

But ye- The new LFR system makes the staying power of raiding not the same as before. PPL will now have seen all what this tier of raiding has to offer even if they only play it in LFR. This will lead to the game loosng appeal over longer period of time. The real danger is that if character progression slows down too much in the next 4 months- then ppl will simply dont think its worth doing anymore.

But good way to have character progression high is to allow ppl to roll alts and gear them up without forcing them to go through the same orginally gated experience we had in MOP at start..
Edited by Anon on 14/12/2012 16:42 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
14/12/2012 16:17Posted by Inoruk

Humm... maybe I didn't understood you correctly, but I think you have this upside down. Cataclysm was alt-friendly BECAUSE ppl did not had enough new content to explore, not the other way around.

Sure there can exist dailys, faction reputations and the like, but what problem is there with ppl having alts?
If I like and I want to play with an alt, let me play. I play WoW to have fun, not to WORK OR SACRIFICE (for that I have IRL).
Reply Quote
90 Orc Mage
Please make Spirit of Harmony battle.net account bound.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
People weren't camping out in the cities because the game was alt-friendly, it was because there wasn't much to do in the outside world. Hell if this game wasn't that alt-friendly, you wouldn't see that many people leveling alts to keep the lower-leveled areas alive. The problem is the dailies and the reputations, dailies are too boring and repetitive. I leveled the important factions to revered to get the recipes and got sick of them fast. I didn't bother much with Shieldwall, sure it tells a "story", but I prefer reading it on wowpedia or watching some video on youtube about it then doing errands to progress the plot.
Edited by Korrosive on 14/12/2012 16:57 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
probably

There is no "probably". Don't cushion it, just say its not the most alt friendly expac by a long shot.

Gear hidden behind rep gates, slow VP grind, lack of VP BoE's make this pretty alt unfriendly. While MoP did a lot of things right, this is one area that I'd like to see get some love.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Cataclysm was alt-friendly and we all know what happened: People bored on cities, with not enough content to do.

Humm... maybe I didn't understood you correctly, but I think you have this upside down. Cataclysm was alt-friendly BECAUSE ppl did not had enough new content to explore, not the other way around.

Sure there can exist dailys, faction reputations and the like, but what problem is there with ppl having alts?
If I like and I want to play with an alt, let me play. I play WoW to have fun, not to WORK OR SACRIFICE (for that I have IRL).

Yes, that's what i said. No content = more alts to fill the time. But even alt people got bored, ant their mains and alters were bored on the cities.
Nowadays we are on the opposite side. A lot of content = overwhelming for alts = no focus on alts.

If you want to play with an alt, you can play, no one forces you to do not. But it's fair you sacrifice part of the time you would spend on your main. It will not be fair, that in the same time I worked on gear my main, you could gear 2 characters main and alt.
It will not be fair neither, if you alt lovers win this "war", that blizzard makes the game easier to equip, and we the accounts with no active alters found ourselves again in the cataclysm time, when you burn the content too fast and spend your time in the city, bored.

I think it's good as it is now. That said, I wouldn't mind if MOP turns alt-friendly near the end of the expansion, but it has been out only for 3 months... It's a bit soon to start asking for nerfs to the content because you want to level/equip your alters quickly.
Edited by Inoruk on 14/12/2012 17:07 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
Hello Darkthunder,

We recognize that MoP is probably not the most alt-friendly of all the expansions and since WoW has been running for so long with its persistent world where characters usually don’t get deleted very often, it’s normal to expect a higher average number of alts per player as time goes on.

I have no solutions but want to give my feedback on alts in MOP.

A good thing is that it isn't necessary to complete all areas before moving to a new one. Therefore after the initial few quests in Jade Forest I can vary the quests I am doing to some degree.
Also, the availability of the battlenet account bound items that are found as 'treasures'. These will be most useful to give a head start at level 85 and I find it a fun thing to do.

Flying. Now I'm really in 2 minds here. Malindra is 3 bars from 90. All I have been thinking about since she turned 89 is please let me fly! but it's a double edged sword. For me the motivation of being able to fly is what keeps me plugging away. If I could fly now I might stop ordinary questing etc. So I really can't decide on that one.

In fact I would rather see the Northrend levelling experience tinkered with. As it stands, quests aren't open in the interesting bits soon enough, then we're off to Cata areas.

Obviously this is one view. I have no idea how the way I play tallies with my fellow players. A clue; for the two I have at 90, I did find myself thinking the other day s*d Golden Lotus rep, levelling up more of my pets is where I want to be. :)

To sum up, I don't think there is a huge amount needs doing for alt levelling in MOP, not for those of us whose goal, so to speak, is the journey itself.
For those who want quicker end game play on alts, I can't comment, it's not my experience.
Edit:
Although Tiller/Angler quests opening at 89 would help alleviate the 89/90 pain & the mass of stuff suddenly available at 90.
Edited by Malindra on 14/12/2012 17:39 GMT
Reply Quote
55 Gnome Death Knight
I'm not even mad at dailies or VP/JP rewards.

I'm mad at grinding blue gear in heroics with all the ninjas, loot rng, lockouts and random heroic rng.

It was so much easier when there was only three dungeons at the end of cata (or just two Zandalaris before). You could queue just for them and quite fast you would get the dungeon you need even with 'random heroic' setting.

Now after you do one you need once and get locked, you need to rely on randomness of LFD. Even worse as it may end up in group which is in-progress and boss you wanted is already down.

Just too much randomness in obtaining basic gear.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
14/12/2012 16:17Posted by Inoruk

NOOOOO
Please, don't pull your pants down every time someone complains about the game having too much content for their alts.

If you want to progress your main character, you should put a lot of effort to achieve that goal. And obviously, you have to subtract time that you could spend on alters.
If you want to progress 2 or more characters, it's a fair thing that you have to subtract time from your main (or spend even more time on wow), and be harder than people with only 1 playable character.

I don't see a problem here, just cryers wanting the game to be even easier (it's casual friendly now, what else?) than it is now.

Alts are a very big part of WoW, you cannot deny that. I don't know anyone that only plays one character.

Therefore, WoW needs to be alt friendly. Stuff like Valor of the Ancients and Grand Commendations are great because you'll still have to spend the full amount of time to get things on your main, but your alts get it at reduced costs/time spent.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
With regards to the rep grind:

Well, one possible solution would be making reputations accountbound... Regardless of number of characters you have, you still need to do the grind (once).
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Alts are a very big part of WoW, you cannot deny that. I don't know anyone that only plays one character.

Therefore, WoW needs to be alt friendly. Stuff like Valor of the Ancients and Grand Commendations are great because you'll still have to spend the full amount of time to get things on your main, but your alts get it at reduced costs/time spent.

I agree that some people might want the game to be more alt friendly, and things and tweaks like 5.1 rep commendations or the ancient buff for valor points are quite good to that because those benefits force you (in some way) to do the intended content with your main in order to lift the blockade and have things easier to your other characters. It works similar to the heirloom items, where you need to have a high level character to purchase them.

I'm a bit afraid that the sentence the blue said above (Our development team is very aware of this and they are trying to find more solutions for alts in MoP) would make easier ALL the content, regardless you have put in some effort with your main to unblock the benefits or not. I think that solutions like heirlooms, where your effort is rewarded, is a far better solution than the give me thing indiscriminately that has happened in patches like the lift of the serpentshrine cavern lock, etc.
Edited by Inoruk on 15/12/2012 15:03 GMT
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight
I completely disagree that MoP is alt-unfriendly.

The only 'issue' I can see is that the endgame content is 2 or 3 times higher than in previous expansions (including stuff like hunting rare mobs in Pandaria and rare items), so it's only natural that there are less alts.

Remove scenarios, remove pet battles, remove RF and so on ... and there would be many more alts around. I don't think many people which are complaining are realizing that.

And dear blues, I really wonder why you jump on that bandwagon as well.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]