World PvP: You cannot attack that target

90 Blood Elf Rogue
Let's be clear about this.

World PvP and CRZ were NOT implemented or intended to be used for the ganking of low level characters on a (mainly PvP) realm.

Would it not be possible to mark characters (say x levels under your own) in gray, and if a player over the limit of x tries to attack they are presented with the message "you cannot attack that target"? (Similarily, a player x lvs under gets the same message if trying to attack a target x lvs over).

This enables lower lv players to continue their levelling up, and keeps WPvP in the use it was designed/intended for (players of similar lv to your own).
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Ganking is a part of WoW PvP.

You are accepting the possibility of being ganged on a PvP-realm at any time and in any way, shape or form.
Whining about it is laughable. If you do not want to be ganked, go to a PvE-realm. PvP-realms have not been PvP-realms at lower levels before CRZ.

PvPers got what they wanted. Both the good and the bad things that comes with it.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
The WoW community sure has grown soft over the years.
Reply Quote
Ganking is a inherent part of World PvP.
If you don't want it, feel free to reroll.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
To make it clear, I've never ganked or been ganked myself. I'm simply standing up for the many people in a corner who find it unacceptable that lv 90 characters can attack lv 1's

In a BG, PvP is based around players of a similar level to your own.

Why should the outside world be any different to that ?

(And many people roll on a PvP server simply because it has a large population for AH, pugs etc etc rather than because they inherently want to PvP)
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Why do people keep thinking open world PvP is fair?
It's not supposed to be, that's why people play them.

Why would you play on a PvP-server otherwise, if you're just gonna PvP in BGs or arenas?
The benefits you're describing are also on PvE-servers. I seriously cannot think of a reason.
Reply Quote
80 Gnome Mage
I agree with the OP.

Besides, it's pathetically weak to continually kill and corpsecamp someone (much) weaker then your char.
All it is is bullying, which is also pathetically weak.

I understand if someone would rush by and kill you once ingame, but more then that? Weak, lowly and without honor.
Reply Quote
The reason Blizz gives on why CRZ was implemented depends at what time the question was posed.

Originally announced as a way to help out 'dying'' servers (it didn't, it only took away the few advantages those servers had), it soon became to 'bring people into the world to Group with' but when the fallacy in that was also made clear (The Shattering/Cata deligently removed any and all World content you 'needed' others to Group with for) it was 'to experience fierce competition over Nodes and Rares (an aspect that doesn't really compute with the falacious 'End of Game Is King' doctrine CG c.s. have spouted but okay).

Given that Blizzard is on record on saying

Providing an environment where players can compete in the spirit of fair play is extremely important to us

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/5848177961#1

and in regards to Twinking and (recently) Pre-Mading in PuG Battlegrounds made similar sentiments, it would be consistent and make sense, certainly in the light of the rediculous Power Creep since esp. Cataclysm, to solve the issue the OP and others have with the fall-out of CRZ and similar stellar designs.

Personally I'd be in favor of a different solution

Said before, will likely be said again:

phase the Zones in half, characters up to +/- level of the Zone in one phase, those above in another

That way world PvP would be meaningful for characters at all levels, and those who like feeling powerful by imitating Kingslayer Orkus' evil twin can wipe out towns as much as they want without affecting levellers. A win-win situation.

as it would basically prevent 'cheezing' the game and still allow people to engage plenty in World PvP , but sadly, most notably amongst the Too White And Nerdy-crowd that likes to pose as hard-butts by ganking helpless oppnents yet whines about (possibly) not being able to cheeze the game as much, not everybody shares this sentiment - even though it has been suggested way back in Wrath as a positive use of phasing.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
17/12/2012 10:23Posted by Làdysylvanas
World PvP and CRZ were NOT implemented or intended to be used for the ganking of low level characters on a (mainly PvP) realm.

Your proof of that please.

Any target is fair game.
Reply Quote
80 Gnome Mage
Once is fair, more then that is bullying.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
17/12/2012 10:51Posted by Kortxa

Ganking is nothing more than harrassment, the latter word being one which Blizz have tended to take a dim view on.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Death Knight

Ganking is nothing more than harrassment, the latter word being one which Blizz have tended to take a dim view on.

More complaining about getting ganked?

Awww, how sad.

Want a cookie?
Edited by Izzyfurious on 17/12/2012 11:10 GMT
Reply Quote
60 Worgen Hunter
Looking at the replies (excluding Kortxa and Buckee) all I'm seeing are players who feel the need to defend their abhorrent behaviour. "That fellow over there proposed a system where you couldn't gank characters half your level? Quick! Grab the torches!" It's either that you lot indulge in such activities or were griefed by such activities and now want everyone to share your misery just because you had to endure it too.

That's why I don't play on a PvP realm. It's not about going into the wild blue yonder and meeting like-minded individuals or groups to test your wits and reflexes against. It's about preying on those that do not stand a chance. When you kill someone who can't fight back due to their low level or one versus ten setup it means you're taking out the other player from the equation thus turning PvP into PvE. It requires the same skill and intellectual capacity as killing a regular NPC.

Most PvP server peeps I have met insisted that they rolled their toon on such realm because they consider themselves skilled players who need the excitement of a player initated attack waiting around every corner. They spent most of their time in Stranglethorn or Tanaris, killing the lowbies.
Reply Quote
1 Orc Warrior
Ganking is a inherent part of World PvP.
If you don't want it, feel free to reroll.

absolutely agree

unfortanutely ganking and getting ganked by random nameless players you will never ever see again is devoid of any meaning.
There are no rivalries to be built. No time for mutual respect or hatred to grow. No KoS lists. No guild feuds. Nothing that made PvP servers special and ganking at least somewhat meaningful.

Flying mounts are the main problem in world pvp but CRZ definitely did not fix anything, just made things worse.

Also there is a reason virtually 9 out of 10 pvp servers have something close to a 10:1 faction imbalance.... thanks to server and faction transfers. Maybe horrible world pvp experiences were part of the agenda to maximise server/faction transfer profits. Only Blizzard knows for sure :-)
Edited by Exträm on 17/12/2012 11:22 GMT
Reply Quote
92 Human Priest
Given that Blizzard is on record on saying

Providing an environment where players can compete in the spirit of fair play is extremely important to us

They are also on record saying:

Actions that would typically be considered "dishonorable" are considered legitimate PvP tactics and will not be addressed by our Game Master (GM) staff. Actions that fall into this category include, but are not limited to:

Corpse camping.
Tricking players into getting flagged for PvP (i.e. jumping in the middle of another player's area effect spell).
Killing players well below your level.

Blizzard consider ganking part of world PVP. Players can call it what they like, dishonourable, weak, pathetic and rage all they want but they are not going to change that and "if you do not want ganking reroll on a PVE server and only do battlegrounds" is still the only answer you are going to get.
Edited by Pinatubo on 17/12/2012 11:32 GMT
Reply Quote
1 Orc Warrior
17/12/2012 11:31Posted by Pinatubo
Blizzard consider ganking part of world PVP. Players can call it what they like, dishonourable, weak, pathetic and rage all they want but they are not going to change that and "if you do not want ganking reroll on a PVE server and only do battlegrounds" is still the only answer you are going to get.

Ganking is totally fine. If I dont like your lowbie alts name. Yeah, I'll tell that straight to his face. Let me get my axe.

And I enjoy the thought that one day we will meet again and you might catch me in a bad spot. And you better keep watching your back regularly because I WILL seek revenge. Alas, this is not going to happen since we are not playing on the same server. trololo
Just two random guys sharing a moment devoid of any meaning or purpose.

Even if we are playing on the same server we are both just blitzing dozens of metres above the ground from one spot to another rarely exposing ourselves to any real danger.

Blizzard stance doesnt matter. This issue is not about ganking (not for me at least) Everyone who cries about the basic idea of ganking... yeah they should play on a PvE server. The problem really is that world pvp is all but dead except for lowbie ganking thanks to flying mounts and faction imbalance mostly. Which is sad. I say keep the ganking. But resurrect real world PvP first and foremost...
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman

back in noob times, when people were ganking in Hillsbrad Foothills, at the begining it bothered me, but later i always felt thrill to go there - will gankers be there? Will they spot me? Can I make it?

For me it was fun.

17/12/2012 11:39Posted by Exträm
Ganking is totally fine. If I dont like your lowbie alts name. Yeah, I'll tell that straight to his face. Let me get my axe.

i did that too :3

specially those silly space goats with names like "goddes" "sexbot" "earth's beauty"
am like "B*tch please!"

*pwn*
Edited by Zakkaru on 17/12/2012 11:47 GMT
Reply Quote
55 Dwarf Death Knight
For all those people that dont like ganking, you have pve servers.

If you make these changes to pvp servers then where will all the MANY players who enjoy ganking go? There will be no servers for us then.

The fear of death while levelling an alt is just about the only excitement to be found in questing.

If you are too scared to die, reroll pve server
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
There is a difference between killing lower levels and ganking - the first is a fact of PvP servers but the second is bully tactics usually by moronic or bored people who can not win a fair fight.

Ganking to me is repeatedly killing the same character - how can anyone defend this type of action?

To those who say move servers I and my family would if you will pay to have 40+ characters and 2 guilds moved to a PvE server - we can not afford to, and why should we because of spoilt people who do not like to "play" fair.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Let's be clear about this.

This has been addressed by Blizzard US :

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7320822467?page=5#85

Daxxari :

This is going to sound weird, and while I do empathize with the frustration that's being expressed in this thread, this conversation still warms the cockles of my black little heart.

Why? Because for too long there was very little distinction between playing on a PvE realm and playing on a PvP realm. We had inadvertently created a situation where there was little risk when leveling in the world on a PvP realm. The experiences were, for all practical purposes, virtually identical, but that wasn't what we had in mind.

Life on a PvP realm can be nasty, brutish and short. Justice is in very short supply. Every action you take in the world carries with it an added level of risk, from questing, to hunting down profession materials, to simply traveling from place to place. You can be attacked at any time, sometimes by an overwhelming force. Of course, the shoe can also be on the other foot, and you'll be able to turn the tables on your attacker, or find clever ways to delay them or escape from them. Some will become roaming slayers, seeking out enemies to destroy.

In short, the experience on a PvP server is different. We want it to be different, and that includes everything from honorable conflict on the field of battle to horribly despicable ganking. It's all part of the fabric that makes a PvP server what it is.

Let the blood be spilled.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]