Blood elves in Mists of Pandaria and beyond | SPOILERS

90 Pandaren Mage
This is what I think is "Tinfoil hat" - my thought on what is currently unfolding as a storyline about the blood elves and what is going to happen in my opinion - in the future.

Patch 5.1 tells us a very interesting story. On the one side, we have a war going on in Pandaria. This is the part we all see. On the other side, we have the unseen side - what's going on in the Old World. Currently we can't know what's going on there - the Old World is frozen in its own Cataclysm timeline - while Silvermoon is frozen in time even before the Lich King timeline. But something is definitely going on - something we don't see, but something we're going to see. Sometimes, quests take us to places in the Old world like Darnassus or the Echo isles, but those quests show a very little part of the current geopolitical situation in Azeroth

Operation "Shieldwall" tells us a story about the clashes between King Varian Wrynn and Jaina Proudmoore. They disagree about how they should handle situation with the blood elves and their betrayal in Dalaran. Jaina thinks that "Once Horde is always Horde" and they should be purged. Surprisingly, Vereesa Windruner thinks in approximately the same way - she always wanted them to be gone from Dalaran and she tells the adventurer (the player) to handle the situation as he wishes - she won't care even if he kills blood elves. Judging from her behaviour, she most probably doesn't consider the blood elves to be her relatives.

So we have the blood elves purged from Dalaran. Fine. The Kirin Tor and Dalaran now belong to the Alliance and both Jaina and Vereesa agree on that point. Fine.

However, King Varian makes a very strong point - he wanted the blood elves to rejoin the Alliance. While we (I mean, the Alliance) got Dalaran back, this was achieved through war - through purging the blood elves by force. How could we even think that the blood elves will leave the Horde after that and rejoin Alliance? This would be impossible. The blood elves won't like the Alliance as allies... not after this. Perhaps, they will serve as a temporary ally against Garrosh - just like orcs and night elves fought together against the Burning Legion. But nothing more.

Blood elves now distrust Garrosh, too. Garrosh politics lead to casualities amongst the blood elves and Lor'themar is now reconsidering his stay within the Horde.

So... as we can see, the blood elves are following a very thin line and they're about to fall in a situation where they will be with no allies. They won't be willing to ally with the orcs, and looks like they won't be willing to ally with the humans. They won't be a firm part either of the Horde, or of the Alliance.

But they still have a very strong ally, that's surprisingly absent in patch 5.1, in the current development of the storyline. In Pandaria we see Vol'jin. We see Lor'themar.

But we don't see Sylvanas. She and her Forsaken are the missing link in the storyline. And the Blood Elves depend on the Forsaken to protect the borders. Without the Forsaken, Silvermoon will fall... This is a very firm Alliance.

Which brings us to the Unseen Story. The war is going on in Pandaria and we see both the King, the Warchief, the humans, the orcs in the center. But we're not seeing what's Sylvannas cooking in the Undercity. We don't see how the war is developing in Lordaeron. The Argent Crusade is entirely absent from Mists of Pandaria. Tirion Fordring stays in his own little town... And it's doubtful he has no opinion about what's going on with the war between the Alliance and Horde.

This brings us even further to the development of the storyline post-Mists. We know that Turalyon and Alleria are returning in the next expansion. And the plot in Mists of Pandaria which concerns the blood elves leads to very interesting twists that are going to define both the blood elves and Alleria as a character.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
This is what I think is "Tinfoil hat" - my thought on what is currently unfolding as a storyline about the blood elves and what is going to happen in my opinion - in the future.

Patch 5.1 tells us a very interesting story. On the one side, we have a war going on in Pandaria. This is the part we all see. On the other side, we have the unseen side - what's going on in the Old World. Currently we can't know what's going on there - the Old World is frozen in its own Cataclysm timeline - while Silvermoon is frozen in time even before the Lich King timeline. But something is definitely going on - something we don't see, but something we're going to see. Sometimes, quests take us to places in the Old world like Darnassus or the Echo isles, but those quests show a very little part of the current geopolitical situation in Azeroth

Operation "Shieldwall" tells us a story about the clashes between King Varian Wrynn and Jaina Proudmoore. They disagree about how they should handle situation with the blood elves and their betrayal in Dalaran. Jaina thinks that "Once Horde is always Horde" and they should be purged. Surprisingly, Vereesa Windruner thinks in approximately the same way - she always wanted them to be gone from Dalaran and she tells the adventurer (the player) to handle the situation as he wishes - she won't care even if he kills blood elves. Judging from her behaviour, she most probably doesn't consider the blood elves to be her relatives.

So we have the blood elves purged from Dalaran. Fine. The Kirin Tor and Dalaran now belong to the Alliance and both Jaina and Vereesa agree on that point. Fine.

However, King Varian makes a very strong point - he wanted the blood elves to rejoin the Alliance. While we (I mean, the Alliance) got Dalaran back, this was achieved through war - through purging the blood elves by force. How could we even think that the blood elves will leave the Horde after that and rejoin Alliance? This would be impossible. The blood elves won't like the Alliance as allies... not after this. Perhaps, they will serve as a temporary ally against Garrosh - just like orcs and night elves fought together against the Burning Legion. But nothing more.

Blood elves now distrust Garrosh, too. Garrosh politics lead to casualities amongst the blood elves and Lor'themar is now reconsidering his stay within the Horde.

So... as we can see, the blood elves are following a very thin line and they're about to fall in a situation where they will be with no allies. They won't be willing to ally with the orcs, and looks like they won't be willing to ally with the humans. They won't be a firm part either of the Horde, or of the Alliance.

But they still have a very strong ally, that's surprisingly absent in patch 5.1, in the current development of the storyline. In Pandaria we see Vol'jin. We see Lor'themar.

But we don't see Sylvanas. She and her Forsaken are the missing link in the storyline. And the Blood Elves depend on the Forsaken to protect the borders. Without the Forsaken, Silvermoon will fall... This is a very firm Alliance.

Which brings us to the Unseen Story. The war is going on in Pandaria and we see both the King, the Warchief, the humans, the orcs in the center. But we're not seeing what's Sylvannas cooking in the Undercity. We don't see how the war is developing in Lordaeron. The Argent Crusade is entirely absent from Mists of Pandaria. Tirion Fordring stays in his own little town... And it's doubtful he has no opinion about what's going on with the war between the Alliance and Horde.

This brings us even further to the development of the storyline post-Mists. We know that Turalyon and Alleria are returning in the next expansion. And the plot in Mists of Pandaria which concerns the blood elves leads to very interesting twists that are going to define both the blood elves and Alleria as a character.

The blood elves will remain with the horde in lore due to gameplay purposes.

As much as the blizzard lore team, and we may dislike it, then this is how it have to be in order to try and balance the two factions.

I kinda like how it may change Alleria's view on both the high elves and blood elves, should she return.

I mean, the Silver Covenant, her sister, slaughtered blood elves in cold blood, innocent blood elves. Atleast Lor'themar, and the blood elven community, were trying to somehow apologise for the !@#-move of banishing them from Quel'thalas, atleast Lor'themar showed guilt for this in The Shadow of the sun novel.

But Vereesa, Vereesa slaughters every blood elf in cold-blood, does she get the oppertunity. While I hate to admit it, then I too, think it leans towards something with Alleria, and I believe it will bring her to look down at the high elves. I mean, who exactly are now the darkest of the two? The ones who absorbed fel magic in order to survive, and joined the horde for further survival against the distrust of the alliance, and the ones who fought tooth and nail to get the sunwell back, only to let the lazy high elves come back and bath in the reignited sunwell along with them.

Or the high elves who now kills every blood elf in cold blood, probably for the reason that they were banished (what?!) not even the slightest sign of regret or sadness it is just "YES.... FINALLY! HAHAHAHAHAH!"

I have a feeling that the alliance might lose Alleria afterall, considering this act of mass-murder from the high elves, and the treatment the alliance have given the blood elves and their royalty in the past (or more specifically Garithos, the new alliance cannot be held accountable for what a spoiled brat of the old alliance did, but the new alliance did prove the same thing over again when spying on the blood elves)

I don't like it, but it really seem like that blizzard is leaning towards this route with Alleria.
Reply Quote
68 Night Elf Rogue
Vereesa was just following orders, she mentions in the quests that she considers Jaina's choices extreme but necessary.

Plus the Silver Covenant is just a faction of High Elves, they don't hold the opinions of the whole race, similar to how many view the rogue elements of the Sunreavers.
Edited by Maeliv on 16/12/2012 02:29 GMT
Reply Quote
Auric is the leader of the High Elves, he was one of Alleria's captains.Its the silver covenant who will take the blame and probably Jaina?Leaving the rest of the High Elves blameless.

Veressa was at Theramore and many High Elves would have died there and also her husband.This clouding her judgement the murder of the innocent Blood Elves in Dalaran will eventually become a thing of great shame for the Silver Covenant.

I suspect that Vol'jin and Baine will include the Blood Elves in their plans as they form the core of the rebellion.

I actually believe the alliance between Forsaken and Blood Elves is crumbling, if Lor'thremar is even thinking of leaving the Horde he is also giving up on Sylvanas.They will know what there doing in Eastern Kingdoms and they don't want to be dragged into that war.They may well have enough strength to protect their own borders now or get some aid from the Tauren?I doubt even a friendly troll force would be very welcome?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
16/12/2012 02:27Posted by Maeliv
Vereesa was just following orders, she mentions in the quests that she considers Jaina's choices extreme but necessary.

Putting a Windrunner in charge of rounding up a people she hates can only have one outcome
a massacre and Jaina had to know this she is no mug
Vereesa has no problem with what she claims is a necessary action

The Silver Covenant is not all the high elves but i would assume its highly regarded by all high elves
as for the future a war between high elf and blood elf cant happen if what we are led to believe is true 90% of surviving elves are blood elves this ofc does not mean any meeting between them would not end in bloodshed
Alleria and her rangers are key here how have they survived without the sunwell
What of the wretched now the sunwell is restored can they be cured?
there is tons of untold helf/belf story to be told
Alleria/Slyvanas/Vereesa whats going to happen here if they ever meet we already know Vereesa does not like Sylvanas being refereed to as a banshee
Will the high elves under Vereesa go searching for Alleria (alliance story arc)
Would the blood elves go searching for Alleria if so why?
would Sylvanas get involved?
Will the belf forsaken relationship grow stronger with mutual respect now that any contact with the alliance is now out of the window for the blood elves?
will the high elves get their act together as a people and search out a new home(playable race)?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock

As much as the blizzard lore team, and we may dislike it, then this is how it have to be in order to try and balance the two factions.

A thought occurs. We have Pandaren as part of both factions... why not Blood Elves? A schism occurs, with some (under Rommath) staying loyal to the Horde, others joining up with the Alliance again. Players would have a faction-choice, as they do with Pandaren at the end of their quest chain.
Reply Quote
68 Night Elf Rogue
Vereesa certainly took some pleasure in their removal however she did not order a massacre, she obeyed Jaina's orders of "Kill the disenters, imprison the ones who surrender".

As for Alleria, we'll likely find her with Turaylon leading a neutral faction to grind in the Legion expansion. They probably found a new source of energy or maybe similar to the Alliance High Elves, were able to survive through meditation and training. Blood Elves would likely be the Horde's side of their interaction with her while Vereesa would be the Alliance.

At the moment Lorthemar is annoyed with Sylvanas as can be seen in "Shadows of the Sun", he doesn't like the grip she has on him. The rebellion could ease that sore relationship but we'd have to see how Sylvanas will act first.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
16/12/2012 13:31Posted by Horto
I actually believe the alliance between Forsaken and Blood Elves is crumbling, if Lor'thremar is even thinking of leaving the Horde he is also giving up on Sylvanas.They will know what there doing in Eastern Kingdoms and they don't want to be dragged into that war.They may well have enough strength to protect their own borders now or get some aid from the Tauren?I doubt even a friendly troll force would be very welcome?

If Sylvanas does not find out about the discussions with Stormwind and Lor'thremar continues to grow as leader and finally believes in himself plus the return of the dalaran based blood elves
I see a different relationship between the forsaken and the blood elves one of mutual respect
the sunreavers add significant power to the belf forces maybe even enough to secure the ghostlands
for Lor'thremar its become a better the devil you know situation all he has to do is believe in himself and the added power of the sunreavers strengthens his powerbase in the eastern kingdoms
the forsken and the blood elves need each other apart neither has the strength together they stand a chance of survival
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
I think the problem with the elves is that they are a highly fragmented "race" to begin with. You have the driving force behind the blood elves, a minority, the magister nobles who think elves are the best thing ever and can keep going about business as usual, the elves of no social status or magical ability who seem a bit more open minded about things and the farstriders who aren't as tree huggy as the night elves but go in that very general direction.

The sad part about all of this is that while the farstriders and "lesser" blood elves are dying in droves, the social elite are still alive and ruining it for the rest. Rommath will have likely known about both the Alliance diplomacy and what's going on in Dalaran, yet decided to do nothing about it. What happens? The oh so smart blood elven aristocracy go ahead and abuse the Kirin Tor's trust again, Jaina snaps, dead Elves everywhere. The important ones are freed, of course, so that they can ruin it again later on.

I would hope that Lorthamar sees that Dalaran wasn't an act of aggression but one of defence on the alliance's part. At some point he is going to have to choose a cause and not just a side that will give him a roof over his head. If Garrosh and the Horde aren't the way forward then what his magisters did was unforgivable and he needs to reform Elven society as a whole. You don't give something like the Divine Bell to Murderhappypants Garrosh.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
16/12/2012 01:21Posted by Malnes
Vereesa slaughters every blood elf in cold-blood, does she get the oppertunity

No she doesn't.

She says she believes Jaina's methods to be harsh, but necessary. She is in fact less extreme than Jaina.

(She also says Rhonin was short-sighted, which is something we've never seen before - A widow not being a grief-stricken useless nobody, but still standing on her own two feet)
Edited by Thunderbraid on 16/12/2012 14:41 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
The sin'dorei will do what they've been doing since TBC, scraping through events in an effort to survive; they're not a numerous people and the way Lor'themar words the entire 'joining the Alliance' debacle is as though he's looking out for just that, his people's survival.

This was essentially the second coming of Garithos, you save a few belves from the Sunreaver Sanctuary and they make remarks such as: "I wont forget that she has forced me from my home" and so on, if any of of the quests implemented in-game show anything about the belves it's that they're vindictive, i'm pretty sure the displaced will want some pay-back.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
The sin'dorei will do what they've been doing since TBC, scraping through events in an effort to survive; they're not a numerous people and the way Lor'themar words the entire 'joining the Alliance' debacle is as though he's looking out for just that, his people's survival.

This was essentially the second coming of Garithos, you save a few belves from the Sunreaver Sanctuary and they make remarks such as: "I wont forget that she has forced me from my home" and so on, if any of of the quests implemented in-game show anything about the belves it's that they're vindictive, i'm pretty sure the displaced will want some pay-back.

And I'm hoping they grow up and finally move on.
They (as a people) brought it on themselves. You don't get to have revenge for something you caused.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

I would hope that Lorthamar sees that Dalaran wasn't an act of aggression but one of defence on the alliance's part.

I don't think any of the blood elves would be able to think like that. I can't say what some of the Sunreavers are doing was noble either, but Jaina did flip out and acted rashly. Most of the humans/humanoids will flip out at that point, I'll give you that, but it doesn't mean what happened in Dalaran is justified either.

Although having just finished the quest line, Alliance and Horde see everything differently -and rightfully so, since it is a war after all. In the Horde quest line in Dalaran you witness something like a pogrom, while Alliance parts are witnessing a softer story. Yet both sides find the orders of Jaina... well, let's say somewhat questionable. Vereesa says it's extreme but necessary, Varian doesn't approve it, Voljin says "That Proudmore woman, she used to be a woman of peace. Look at what she become. Garrosh scorches Earth, and the dead ain't the only victims.".

I think Jaina's decisions are understandable, but from the looks of it, by this rate Alliance will have their own Sylvanas in their hands...

16/12/2012 14:36Posted by Alealei
At some point he is going to have to choose a cause and not just a side that will give him a roof over his head.

When he learns what happened in Dalaran, he actually does that...

Lor'themar: We Sin'dorei will take our future into our own hands. And get this damn thing out of my sight! Hellscream bought this treasure with the blood of my people. I hope this destroys him.
Rommath: My Lord. YOU would make a fine Warchief.
Lor'themar: It may come to that. Bring me my blades. The next move is mine.

The only missing part is Sylvanas and her Forsaken now. Although, I think it was said that she was going to be the one to start the 'revolution' against Garrosh, so I guess she should steal the spotlight soon.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue

They (as a people) brought it on themselves. You don't get to have revenge for something you caused.

Yes because the actions of one or two individuals should bring reckoning on an entire population; I very much doubt the inkmaster you kill had any to do with it!

As I said; it's Garithos all over again.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
I'm not saying what Jaina did was ok, far from it. I'm silently dreading that Metzen will not reel her back in and instead we'll end up having to kill Jaina in the same raid we kill Garrosh.
The comparison to Garithos is poor. Garithos blamed the elves for his father's demise. He became a cruel and petty man. He cooly and calmly treated them poorly.
Jaina has always strived for peace. Jaina sacrificed her own father in pursuing peace. She put up with setback after setback and Garrosh goes ahead and demonstrates why Jaina's father MIGHT have been right about the orcs. She snaps.
You couldn't be any more wrong with your comparison.

I'm repeating myself here but blood elf society is incredibly flawed. You may say it was the act of a few in Dalaran, which it technically might have been, but the people committing these sorts of act (along with the nuking of theramore) all fit into the magister high society box of which there are still too many with too much say in sindorei politics.
I just hope Lorthemar opts for change instead of pushing the zealot blood elven agenda further.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

A thought occurs. We have Pandaren as part of both factions... why not Blood Elves? A schism occurs, with some (under Rommath) staying loyal to the Horde, others joining up with the Alliance again. Players would have a faction-choice, as they do with Pandaren at the end of their quest chain.

As much as it's a good idea, with the attitude from the alliance side of things, it would essentially require a second civil war within the space of a decade.

EDIT:

Said it before, i'll say it again. Holding a grudge when your crown-prince is jailed and sentenced to execution for accepting help in order to survive is hardly 'childish'.
Edited by Jushirô on 16/12/2012 22:58 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
I'm talking about the whole "getting kicked out of the Kirin Tor" part. I didn't say anything that evaluates Kael's actions.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
In that case, my apologies for misreading. It's a pet peeve that people seem to think the grudge held over the garithos mission and the consequences is unjustified. I assumed you were referring to that.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
17/12/2012 14:11Posted by Jushirô
In that case, my apologies for misreading. It's a pet peeve that people seem to think the grudge held over the garithos mission and the consequences is unjustified. I assumed you were referring to that.

People seem to forget the entire dwarf/night elf fiasco in Eversong, too. I mean, the dwarf leaks information on how to damage arcane sanctums to the night elves and the night elves go sabotaging.

The entire Garithos event doesn't even just rest on Garithos' shoudlers, either. What of all the human soldeirs who turned a blind eye? What of the Kirin Tor who also turned a blind eye?

The elves have a reason to hate humanity/the Alliance and it isn't childish either, they've been repeatedly vilified and betrayed.

I'm repeating myself here but blood elf society is incredibly flawed. You may say it was the act of a few in Dalaran, which it technically might have been, but the people committing these sorts of act (along with the nuking of theramore) all fit into the magister high society box of which there are still too many with too much say in sindorei politics.
I just hope Lorthemar opts for change instead of pushing the zealot blood elven agenda further.

It was Garrosh who ordered it, not the B-elf government; I don't know why you have something against the belf government, it isn't even really brought up much in game. The elves don't have a choice in the matter, either. If Garrosh says jump, you jump.
Edited by Thorodias on 17/12/2012 14:46 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
You are leaving out one very important detail.
The Blood Elves is part of the Horde, and the Horde is full of orcs, the one thing Alleria despises more then anything.

She would ally with her sister in order to slaugther those green(brown) skinned barbarians who killed her younger brother.
She will hate the Blood Elves for allying with such beasts and agree with her sister's methods, she'll never join the Blood Elves, not as long as they remain loyal to the Horde and allies of the Orcs.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]