WoW on Windows 8 Issues

90 Goblin Shaman
Hello,
I am having really annoying issues on Windows 8 (64 bit) I want to share. And if possible I would like to hear some possible fix for these errors. Any help would be great.

So I upgraded my computer to Windows 8 (64 bit) recently. Everything was fine at first. Then things got worse and worse everyday. I have Nvidia G460 GTX video card fyi. I installed latest drivers, even beta ones just hoping it to fix the problem. But nothing helped.

First problem I had was WoW stops responding for couple of secs, and screen goes black during this time and everything goes back normal. Sometimes this issue ends up with this error on desktop saying on right lower corner that "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered". So normally I thought this was Nvidia's driver issue. I was using normal Nvidia drivers but then decided to try beta drivers for a possible fix. But it didn't help.

Then I google'd a lot about the problem I am having, all I found was nothing really. All possible fixies I found didn't change anything.

I tried:
- Uninstalling Nvidia drivers and using windows 8 drivers
- 32 bit WoW Client
- DirectX 9
- Full Screen Mode
- Windowed Full Screen Mode
- etc etc

Nothing really fixed the problem for me. Instead, my problem got worse. Now, I am getting;
-This all random Windows 8 freezes. This happens only when I run WoW. And I need to restart my computer.
- Sometimes my mouse cursor goes invisible randomly. Even I exit WoW, cursor remains invisible on desktop.
- Sometimes WoW keeps skipping. By that I mean, It freezes for 3-4 secs then everthing goes back to normal fps for like 1 sec then it goes freezing again, etc etc... I cant control computer during this freeze time. But I can use my keyboard for Alt+F4 during that "normal" 1 sec time to quit WoW. When I relog after Alt+F4, WoW keeps doing the same "freeze loop".

My computer spec
Gigabyte H55M-S2 motherboard
Intel I3 3.2Ghz
Nvidia N460 GTX

FYI, WoW was running just fine on my previous Windows 7 (32 Bit). Never had any issues at all.

Thanks for reading and for all replies.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
me too iv update to windows 8 x64 when it came out.. on 2 NVidia GeForce 9800gt 1gb sli, 8gb ram, water-cooled...

Using the lasted driver 310.70, Windows 8 x64 with all full update, and fresh full download of wow

Wow seems not to be using any graphics hardware... both cards GPU's are only using 3% to 10%.. CPU is only using 50% to 60% on all fours cores..

I have tried wow on every possible combination settings with no joy..

Worked perfect on window 7 x64

I get around 15 to 35 fps average. with setting al rest on default..

(other game I have farcry 2, cyrsis all run fine so must be something do with blizzard has changed something or bad programming).
Edited by Knighdeath on 23/12/2012 13:51 GMT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
BBQ
Hi I have win7 64bit and Im getting the same graphic errors, Ive installed new drivers and tried everything and it just wont help.
And also that mouse cursor missing thingy.
I just have to live with it I think.
Edited by Nepera on 23/12/2012 14:08 GMT
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
I just upgraded to Windows 8 Pro, running a nVidia GTS250, and straight away I got the "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" error. I upgraded to 310.70 Drivers (Clean Install), but issue was still happening. Never had a problem with WoW before upgrading, so I know its to do with the upgrade.

Using good old google, using various different search requests, I finally came across this on the US WoW forums [http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7004694784].

Windows 8 uses DirectX 11, but my graphics card is not compatible with that. So, within WoW, under [System > Advanced], set [Graphics API] to [DirectX 9]. The comments also mention enabling [Triple Buffering] and I did that too.

Once I had finished tinkering, I restarted WoW, and hey presto, no more errors.... least not for the last 30 minutes *does a happy dance*

Hope this helps, but if not, I hope the matter can be resolved for you asap !
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Rogue
This seems to be an NVidia driver bug rather then a WoW bug. Try using the latest drivers if you haven't or to try go back a step and use some older drivers.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Try to install the graphics card drivers. I also had problems with WOW on Windows 8 and I just install new drivers to NVIDIA.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm on windows 7 and I'm hvaing this problem a lot too
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I had this same issue on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit and Windows 8 Pro 64-Bit.
The strangest thing is that I never had this issue at all when I was running dual Radeon HD6970 Cards. Only when I changed to dual GeForce GTX680 cards did this start happening.

The screen will go black for a couple seconds and then come back as if nothing happened. I don't have the cursor issue at all, just the screen going black and coming back on. Had the screen swapped out, the graphics cards and motherboard and it wasn't any of those.

It is quite intermittent and it wont happen for days and then it will happen randomly in WoW and in Windows, no matter which set of drivers I use. 310.33 seems to be the only driver that shows the issue the least. The problem also shows up whether SLI is enabled or not and whether both cards or one card are in the system.

Somehow I don't believe this is a WoW issue but more an nVidia issue as I see a number of posts on their forums for the same problem.

DXDiag Report for my system if it helps at all.

Operating System: Windows 8 Pro with Media Center 64-bit (6.2, Build 9200)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: GA-X79A-UD7
BIOS: AMI EFI BIOS v2.6
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU X3960 @ 3.31GHz (12 CPUs), ~3.36GHz
Memory: 24576MB RAM

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 680
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Type: Full Device
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1189&SUBSYS_28421462&REV_A1
Display Memory: 2047 MB
Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver File Version: 9.18.0013.1033 (English)
Driver Version: 9.18.13.1033

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 680
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Type: Full Device
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1189&SUBSYS_28421462&REV_A1
Display Memory: 2047 MB
Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver File Version: 9.18.0013.1033 (English)
Driver Version: 9.18.13.1033

Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (120Hz)
Monitor Name: Samsung S27A950D 3D Monitor
Monitor Model: S27A950D
Monitor Id: SAM079D
Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (120.000Hz)
Output Type: DVI
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
thats not a windows 8 problem thats a driver problem. Roll back your drivers
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Hunter
Just got a new laptop for christmas with Windows 8 and at the moment i'm having the exact same problems.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Everyone said that Windows 8 will not be used in gaming, why did you upgrade to that?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
This isn't a rub it in post just more info to narrow down the cause,

I upgraded to windows 8 the day of release and have never had a problem with any game or game platform.

In fact I saw improvements.

I'm currently running an Nvidia GTX 680 with a GTX 460 as a dedicated PhysX card (for the seriously rare occasions when a game actually uses it)
12g of ram and a 3.2g i7 processor

I would say its a driver problem rather then a windows 8 problem, the first time I installed the 310.70 driver it created a couple of random little problems, I rolled back and reinstalled the 310.70 driver again and it is working fine now.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
I have the same problem and my graphics card is Intel HD Graphics 4000.. I have 16 mb of ram i7 processor and windows 8... This crasg starts happening after the patch 5.2.Please help about this problem
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
same windows 8. NVidia 9600m gt card.

Worked fine upto patch 5.2

Now I have...

Random lag spikes upto 30sec freezes

and just started happening I get logged in and then I cant interact but I see ingame chat fine.

Perfect pings 26ms. and on a 12meg download speed.

Any ideas on how to fix this
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
I'm gonna buy a Dell laptop with Intel Core i7 1.9GHz, 6GB RAM, windows 8 64-bit an Radeon 8730 2GB Graphics Card. Does anyone know if this can be enough to run WOW? I don't know if i can trust windows 8 especially for WoW. I guess there will be some problems but Windows may gonna fix them with some updates...
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I'm gonna buy a Dell laptop with Intel Core i7 1.9GHz, 6GB RAM, windows 8 64-bit an Radeon 8730 2GB Graphics Card. Does anyone know if this can be enough to run WOW? I don't know if i can trust windows 8 especially for WoW. I guess there will be some problems but Windows may gonna fix them with some updates...

You will be able to play WoW on that machine with ease for sure. Windows 8 is fine for WoW, I use it myself and I havn't seen any bugs or other annoyances. What is more important is if you want Windows 8, because it takes a while to get used to.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]