Hierlooms why not!?

90 Night Elf Druid

Regarding the ability to send heirlooms cross-realms, please be aware that it's highly unlikely it'll be implemented during Mists of Pandaria as there're numerous technical hurdles that need to be overcome first in order to happen.

"numerous technical hurdles that need to be overcome"

Challenge mode Gear to be bought requires an achievement
Achievements can be account wide

1) Buy an item on a character, spending gold-honor-justice or whaever you want
2) Unlock a FoS
3) Log in with another character on another realm
4) You have the achievement
5) ???
6) Profit !

Now the question is: "do Blizzard likes to get paid for realm transfers?"
"yes" -> there will always be technical hurdles that professional programmers "can't" resolve
"no" -> it's just a matter of adding a vendor and a FoS for every heirloom bought
Edited by Meldon on 24/12/2012 18:30 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
More easy, a new void storage only por BoA cross-realm.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
Make it a buff instead of gear. Just like the extra reputation scrolls 4 the tillers etc
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
^ Because 85 to 90 is current content.

Except that in wrath you had heirlooms to level 80 and in cata to 85 (head/cloak)
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
If you can distribute pets, anniversary items & the like, why would it be technically difficult to replace said pet with heirlooms.
Reply Quote
1 Goblin Shaman
You can make a realm wide stash that only works for heirlooms. Kinda like the shared stash in D3. Basically a bank that is shared by account. This easily allows it's functionality to be extended to include many different things that may be acceptable for cross realm activity.

You can make an NPC. On that NPC you can store your heirloom items. The items then stay on that realm but can now be lend by characters from other realms.
On a different realm you can make a copy of the item. Only one copy can exist. It will show you which realm the item copy is currently active. When a copy is made the item in storage is grayed out and can't be used until the heirloom copy is destroyed.
When a character using heirloom copies is deleted the original heirloom in storage becomes ungray and can be used for copies again.

We can come up with many more ideas that allow us to use heirlooms in this way. For me it seems the question is not how can we do it but what happens when we do. My thoughts go to population differences and this way allowing a much easier and more effective way to re-roll or more cost friendly way to try out a new server and I think it's those effects that are hard to manage.
If you are on a low pop realm chances are you aren't one of the people wanting to transfer one or many of your characters to an unknown realm. But when you allow people to make new characters anywhere and level them pretty fast I'm sure atleast a decent portion of the aforementioned will make use of that, which can lead to the low pop realms being even more deserted and once again destroying a lot of fun of the people that are left behind on the realm.
This in turn would make this problem more severe and demand a solution. However while allowing access to heirlooms from different realms is relatively easy, the long standing problem of low population realms that have historically seen very little action to help deter is definitely not an easy thing to solve for.

I like to think there is a relation here.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
If you can distribute pets, anniversary items & the like, why would it be technically difficult to replace said pet with heirlooms.

They don't. Pets and mounts are not bound to character but to an account. Gear is a whole different thing. They could implement a system where if you buy an heirloom you get the item mailed to all your characters, but that wouldn't be a good solution. It's a database issue I would assume.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
24/12/2012 16:23Posted by Draztal
Ok so hierlooms(think thats how you spell it)can not be sent to other servers now the idea behinde these is to help people lv new chars faster right so why cant you send these to other realms,seriously blizz most ppl would like to be able to send them to other realms.This is a small issue that would make a massive difference to alot of people:)

So, in case we can put this topic to rest (as Shammoz pointed out on his post, it's a recurring topic that comes up every. single. day.)...

Regarding the ability to send heirlooms cross-realms, please be aware that it's highly unlikely it'll be implemented during Mists of Pandaria as there're numerous technical hurdles that need to be overcome first in order to happen.

I have suggested this before but, why not make new bank slot for BoA items that any character on your account can access?
Edited by Eon on 24/12/2012 20:40 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
I read somewhere theyre making them more like battle pets are, usable by all characters on the account. When this feature might come is anyones guess.
Reply Quote
What puzzles me is that email has been cross-server since it was invented. To have this problem they must have written their own code for in game email rather than porting what's publicly available. Who reinvents the wheel?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
24/12/2012 20:14Posted by Tuluppa
When this feature might come is anyones guess.

Probably never. There are two reasons. There simple aren't enough people that would benefit from cross realm heirlooms to use resources on implementing the feature. Or, they think it would have a significant enough impact on character transfer and thus lower income in a significant way.

If they really wanted to implement cross realm heirlooms they could have done so a long time ago. Considering all the new tech the are bringing into the game I seriously doubt it's a problem they couldn't fix.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Rogue
24/12/2012 18:21Posted by Tuluppa
They delete threads not posts, theres no witchhunt for you.

I have made threads 'bout this subject and they have gotten deleted, have not used any "bad language" or anything, but they just have disappeared.
So I did not mean removing my replies on this thread.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
I have made threads 'bout this subject and they have gotten deleted, have not used any "bad language" or anything, but they just have disappeared.
So I did not mean removing my replies on this thread.

If you make threads on a topic while there already are existing threads, then it's understandable why they delete them.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
Yeah, they made CRZ possible, but sending items crossrealm is NOT possible. Yeah, right!

Just get used to it, will never happen :)

Merry Christmas!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Bind to account items simply means that if your on the same Battlenet account and realm you can mail the item.

Why was it called bind to account?

Lets say you have a Battlenet account. Now lets say you have several WoW accounts on the one Battlenet account. So lets for example say I have WoW#1,2 and 3.

Now lets say I have 2 characters on WoW#1 that are on Burning Blade, lets say I have another 4 Characters on WoW#3 also on Burning Blade, I can mail my Heirloom items (From account to account) from WoW#1 characters to WoW#3 characters and vice versa, as I desire.

So long as they share realm and Battlenet email, you can mail BoA gear like this. Great for lets say a parent or guardian playing with their child or siblings who have the one battlenet but different accounts.

Hence the term account bound. Worded oddly, and likely with the intent that this would be fully bound to account (without realm restriction) this was the original intent of ability of the feature we all know as BoA today.

~Leigh
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk

That is the standard answer that we get spoonfed with.

Right. But wrong. The ''technical hurdles'' are nonexistant, the technology is already here.

Ever tried to restore an item that you accidentally deleted? On your battle.net account you're able to restore 1 destroyed/vendored item every 30 days. You get the item sent to you in the mail, for the vendor price of the item. How hard would it be to be able to destroy an item (could most likely be done on the page, which is already logged by blizzard for up to 3 months I think), and choose to have it restored on a different character (for free ofc)? As long as it's filtered to be a 'BoA items only' deal, with a cooldown of 10 items/day, or even week/month or so (server stress could be dealt with by that cooldown, so whatever is reasonable).

I honestly don't see any hurdles. Tech is already there, and in more ways than the one I suggested (ie. similar to the system used for mounts and pets), but greed trumphs customer satisfaction yet again.
Edited by Metnica on 24/12/2012 22:02 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter

Yeah...right...why not a tab allowing you to use the heirlooms on any toon once unlocked? You can overcome the hurdles for pets and mounts but not heirlooms?

AND, talk about having too much confidence when it comes to leveling content 85 to 90, not making heirlooms work up to max level and all. Guess what, 80 to 85 = fast enough without them. 85 to 90 is a bloody torture once you've done it on a toon of each faction.

Nah, this is just a fancy way of saying "People still pay to transfer heirlooms between servers, so until that stops we'll not bother using our superior know-how to overcome any hurdles".

Heirlooms working to max level, and them being useable cross-realm = something that shouldn't be too hard for the devs of this game. If any other company was on the task, I'd understand it but NOT Blizzard...
Edited by Rorcanna on 24/12/2012 21:57 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
24/12/2012 20:25Posted by Panamat
What puzzles me is that email has been cross-server since it was invented. To have this problem they must have written their own code for in game email rather than porting what's publicly available. Who reinvents the wheel?

I don't understand this comment could you elaborate please. As far as I'm aware email, I assume you mean ingame mail, has never been cross server and they had to write their own software as it didn't exist.
Edited by Dottie on 24/12/2012 22:37 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
24/12/2012 19:11Posted by Tonuc
Pets and mounts are not bound to character but to an account. Gear is a whole different thing. They could implement a system where if you buy an heirloom you get the item mailed to all your characters, but that wouldn't be a good solution.

If I buy a Companion on Kithoras here, can I put it into cage on, say, my alt who lives on The Sha'tar? 'Cause if so, that'd seem to imply that Companions are items which become non-items, and then are turned back into items later.

I'm no technical expert, but I can't see why if it's possible to move Pets in that manner, why you couldn't move other items too. Assuming, of course, you can uncage pets on different servers.

24/12/2012 21:55Posted by Rorcanna
"People still pay to transfer heirlooms between servers, so until that stops we'll not bother using our superior know-how to overcome any hurdles".
A happy player is a paying one. In the short term, aye, Blizzard might make £20 off a character transfer. But in the long term, you'll be playing for longer and be more occupied if they can get you to set up an entirely new set of characters on a different realm.

Money is, yes, important to them. But remember that a system where all the players are happy (or at least, occupied) and paying their fees once a month is better for Blizzard than one where the players may be paying more pure cash (server/character/faction/etc transfers), but are also more likely to quit or stop enjoying the game - if not both.
Edited by Kithoras on 24/12/2012 23:05 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk

They don't. Pets and mounts are not bound to character but to an account. Gear is a whole different thing. They could implement a system where if you buy an heirloom you get the item mailed to all your characters, but that wouldn't be a good solution. It's a database issue I would assume.

Baby Blizzard Bear or Murkimus the Gladiator, for examples, used to be given out to every character you ever made, whilst they were character bound.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]