The Loot system isn't an improvement?

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Did Terrace today in LFR and I was luck enough to get three gear-pieces, unfortunately all three dropped either last week or the week before. So, not only is the loot-system horribly ugly and generally bad, it hasn't even taken into account that gear might have dropped before? Please fix this !@#$ty system to at least work properly. Can't be to hard to just remove the gear that has already dropped and increase the drop rate of the other gear from said boss, even if you are Blizzard.

Otherwise great expansion
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
07/01/2013 13:05Posted by Iscy
it hasn't even taken into account that gear might have dropped before?

Please tell me of a boss previously in WoW that checked your gear and only dropped the items you needed.

Personal loot just simulates regular looting to avoid the drama, it doesn't mean that the loot will be personalized to you.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
With how "personal" this system is what I am suggesting wont only be easily added but it would work pretty good, and I'm not going to answer your first segment because if you don't realize what's wrong with it yourself you deserve to live without knowing.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
not only is the loot-system horribly ugly and generally bad, it hasn't even taken into account that gear might have dropped before?

You mean just like the old system? Ok, go on...

Please fix this !@#$ty system to at least work properly

...but it works just fine.

How do YOU propose Blizzard improve it? I'm sure you have hundreds of colorful ideas if your colorful vocabulary is anything to go by.

Can't be to hard to just remove the gear that has already dropped and increase the drop rate of the other gear from said boss

That's it? That's your amazing idea to revolutionize loot distribution in MMOs?!?

Well, I hate to burst your bubble, but that would be a retarded solution (to a problem that doesn't even exist in the first place), for 3 main reasons.

Firstly, this game has a subscription. Improving the chances of players getting what they want would be bad for business, as making people want to play the game repeatedly is kind of the whole point of this business model.

Secondly, some of us actually enjoy the gear grind and we like the gamble & suspense of not knowing if we will get what we came for. We also like the floaty happy feeling when said item finally drops. This is an MMO after all, it kind of goes with the territory.

Finally, what about offspecs? What about alternate stat weighted gear for specific encounters? What if I want one set of gear transmogged and another in my bag without the mogs. Under the current system I can do this but under yours I cant...

even if you are Blizzard

Please, feel free to link us to the "consistently over 10 million subscriber" MMO that you built.

Didn't think so.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
@Chesseberry. Firstly I don't know how to make those nice quotes you manage to do so try to stay with me :)

Your first point: With a NEW system, one would expect an UPGRADE, at least I do that and I do NOT view going from one bad system to another bad system as an upgrade, I'd rather see those work-hours spent by Blizzard in some other area that needs it more.

Second point: If it "works just fine" I wouldn't have made this post, according to me there IS a problem and I later DO propose a way to change it to the better which you have quoted yourself so you have already answered that question yourself.

Third point: I never said I wanted to "revolutionize loot distribution in MMOs", I said I found a problem and I was implied (especially with the last sentence "Otherwise great expansion") that I am overall very satisfied with the current game of World of Warcraft but I found a problem which I could see need a revamp, and I provided a pretty simple solution.
And to your smaller points here; first this game already have LOADS of small reasons to keep your subscription up all the time, dailies, valor/conquest-cap etc. and the people like you, that wants 2x Kilrak to have both a transmogged and a untransmogged, also have these small reasons like dailies that I am sure that even you would prioritize over getting that second Kilrak (please do NOT use the argument "But I have already done all my dailies" and I hope you understand why).
Second point: Are you a majority? Sources. Obviously I liked the feeling of finally seeing my Lawbringer Legplats drop after 6 months of farming and it felt a little special, but I don't think that I the correct way of steering the game with the current player base getting younger and more impatient. With achievement already implanted Blizzard clearly stated that they want to go towards a lot less farming and a lot more rewarding for less (and in some ways easier) playing so I firmly believe you are part of a decreasing minority until you can prove me wrong with credible sources.
Third point: As a paladin I do not get off-spec gear dropping I can't really say much more then that MoP clearly shows that you should only get gear from your current spec, and I am pretty sure most people playing World of Warcraft would be more happy to receive a gear-upgrade before an extra epic chest when half their gear is blue. As for people badly wanting transmog, maybe we just add in that when a boss has dropped every gear-piece available for me all the items are put back into the loot-table. That way I can get my epics faster and you get to farm even more! (Because that is actually what you are saying).

Your fourth point: No, I haven't created a game that can match with World of Warcraft, and that is why I am currently here suggesting improvement to this game instead of working on my own game.
Reply Quote
07/01/2013 14:23Posted by Iscy
Your first point: With a NEW system, one would expect an UPGRADE, at least I do that and I do NOT view going from one bad system to another bad system as an upgrade, I'd rather see those work-hours spent by Blizzard in some other area that needs it more.

The personal loot system wasn't made so that you'd gear up faster than before. Its function is to avoid the drama that ensued at times during Dragon Soul's LFR (such as a player needing on an item only to then try to sell it to the people that genuinely needed it and make profit off it).

So, on the long run, you're bound to see repeated items as you gear up, just as in the past you'd see that particular item drop a thousand times before the one you really wanted even appeared.

On this case, though, if the item you really want finally drops, you won't have any competition, it'll be yours, no matter what.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
@Chesseberry. Firstly I don't know how to make those nice quotes you manage to do so try to stay with me :)

Second point: If it "works just fine" I wouldn't have made this post, according to me there IS a problem and I later DO propose a way to change it to the better which you have quoted yourself so you have already answered that question yourself.

Third point: I never said I wanted to "revolutionize loot distribution in MMOs", I said I found a problem and I was implied (especially with the last sentence "Otherwise great expansion") that I am overall very satisfied with the current game of World of Warcraft but I found a problem which I could see need a revamp, and I provided a pretty simple solution.
And to your smaller points here; first this game already have LOADS of small reasons to keep your subscription up all the time, dailies, valor/conquest-cap etc. and the people like you, that wants 2x Kilrak to have both a transmogged and a untransmogged, also have these small reasons like dailies that I am sure that even you would prioritize over getting that second Kilrak (please do NOT use the argument "But I have already done all my dailies" and I hope you understand why).
Second point: Are you a majority? Sources. Obviously I liked the feeling of finally seeing my Lawbringer Legplats drop after 6 months of farming and it felt a little special, but I don't think that I the correct way of steering the game with the current player base getting younger and more impatient. With achievement already implanted Blizzard clearly stated that they want to go towards a lot less farming and a lot more rewarding for less (and in some ways easier) playing so I firmly believe you are part of a decreasing minority until you can prove me wrong with credible sources.
Third point: As a paladin I do not get off-spec gear dropping I can't really say much more then that MoP clearly shows that you should only get gear from your current spec, and I am pretty sure most people playing World of Warcraft would be more happy to receive a gear-upgrade before an extra epic chest when half their gear is blue. As for people badly wanting transmog, maybe we just add in that when a boss has dropped every gear-piece available for me all the items are put back into the loot-table. That way I can get my epics faster and you get to farm even more! (Because that is actually what you are saying).

Your fourth point: No, I haven't created a game that can match with World of Warcraft, and that is why I am currently here suggesting improvement to this game instead of working on my own game.

So you rather see nothing drop then? Instead of letting an item drop that you already have you get nothing. Better?

You see a 'problem' (your opinion) that has been there since the beginning of WoW. The same 'problem' occurse with every other mob in WoW. Rares always drop the same items eventhough you have them already. Same happens in heroic 5 mans and the same happens in old content. But all of a sudden it is a problem now. Think about it again because apparently it is not a problem.

I don't understand why this !@#$ gets a blue post. You should just lock these threads since there are plenty of them already. It has been explained a million times by now how this system works and why it works like it does.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
07/01/2013 13:11Posted by Elathin
Please tell me of a boss previously in WoW that checked your gear and only dropped the items you needed.

Well actually... In old loot system there was chance to loot at item you do not have even if one (or more) item from drop is that one you already have.

Sooo psychologically, what is better for players. Have chance to roll on 5-10 per raid or watch how how the game gives him the same item 3rd week without chance to change it?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I like that it has removed the "loot rage" from LFR raids. This is about the only real positive I can see in it.

I've been hoping that the Gao-Rei Staff staff drops for me from Tsulong and I'm cool with it maybe never dropping of course. But when I have "Gauntlets of the Shadow's Caress" equipped and then win another pair - that's unfortuante and bad in itself but I then go and spend a coin hoping for maybe get the staff and it gives me.... yet another pair....

This (imo) is the the most broken, ugly part of the new loot system - it's lack of any smarts whatsoever.
Reply Quote
I like how the new system works, just need to add an option to chose what kinde of loot you want (heal, dps , tank) so you can sign as healer and play as healer, but get dps or tank gear.

Also another option that i would like to see, is to use items as currency for item upgrade, that way it dosent feel like a waste if you win an item you already have, so only when you win an item for the 4th time its would be a waste. Its should only work for same item of course.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
But when I have "Gauntlets of the Shadow's Caress" equipped and then win another pair - that's unfortuante and bad in itself but I then go and spend a coin hoping for maybe get the staff and it gives me.... yet another pair....

This (imo) is the the most broken, ugly part of the new loot system - it's lack of any smarts whatsoever.

I can only agree with this...
Ofcourse there are several reasons to have multiple items:
- Other gear set
- Transmorg
- If you win, you can get the disenchant mats

But honestly, I'd love it if Blizzard would maybe just scratch those options for LFR, I'd rather have everyone winning loot they don't have yet (then me winning the same). And for the set-items its a token, so those can easily be except of these rules.

I don't need more chance on other stuff if I got the other drop already, I cba about that... just stop giving me double.
Edited by Armengar on 07/01/2013 15:57 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
The real problem with this system is that you get mirror itmes even if you don't need them.
I have on other char 4 chest tokens when i need only 1...

I woudl welcome option to reroll unwanted items (even for gold wich amount you get from bags its rediculous btw) or maby trade dupilcates/triplicates for something else from same boss loot table or some moderate amount of valor points.
Reply Quote

Its function is to avoid the drama that ensued at times during Dragon Soul's LFR (such as a player needing on an item only to then try to sell it to the people that genuinely needed it and make profit off it).

And it did exactly that. It also disallowed well equipped people to just roll need on items because they felt some benefit from not letting people get them who need them.

Thats one of those examples i always think: "Gosh, what happened to the community that people need to be that antisocial?"

On this case, though, if the item you really want finally drops, you won't have any competition, it'll be yours, no matter what.

Yeah. I think its the best solution available.

The only concern i have is lfr as only catch up mechanism come 5.2. Returners would have to play the complete 5.0 cycle fully in order to catch up.

This could probably take as long as it took to gear up in 5.0, also the lockout is weekly which doesnt allow someone to farm old lfr to gear up.

Another concern is how many people are going to play old lfr. I would believe that at least in the following tier to 5.2 people who accomplished all of 5.0, 5.1 and 5.2 would not use the old lfr queues anymore, so that returners would probably have hard times to find groups.
Edited by Nessaya on 07/01/2013 16:04 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
The annoying thing about it is you have no idea how close you were.
With rolls you see the item that drops and then you roll for it, you can win or lose.

But now it's all invicible, you either get something or you don't.
I have the feeling the old system got me more loot but that might just be bad luck, since MoP launched i got 3 items from Sha of anger and 0 items from LFR, on 3 lvl 90 characters.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter
I would appreciate a performance-related "buff" to the loot system.
This is restricted to LFR only and nowadays there are several issues, player get mad about, like people letting themselves carry, go AFK during boss fights, etc.

So, why not rewarding those, who try their best? And this has nothing to do about raw numbers, but about activity.
If you do once-in-a-while something during an encounter your chance of getting something is 1:10. But those who really stress themselves, get their best rotation done, dodge every skillshot or perform most of the mechanics great - and therefore have a higher activity, should get an increased chance of winning an item, like 1:5.
This would counter AFK'ers in LFR and gives players the choice if they want to work for their loot or not.

The numbers are debatable, of course, but you get my point. Give those who really try something, during LFR! And this has no relation at all to Lucky Charms!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
Second point: If it "works just fine" I wouldn't have made this post, according to me there IS a problem...
... but I found a problem which I could see need a revamp, and I provided a pretty simple solution.

Just because you experience something as being a problem doesn't mean there actually is a problem in need of fixing. If I somehow feel I should be able to get a bunch of 509 gear easily and quickly, does that mean the game should be changed? If I feel that people creating forum topics about non-issues (that have been created by 1000 other players before them) is a problem, does that mean Blizzard needs to do something to prevent them from posting?

and I later DO propose a way to change it to the better...

Getting more gear more quickly does not equal 'better'. Then the 'best' loot system would be premade chars with BiS gear... and no one would ever play the game again.
Reply Quote
So, why not rewarding those, who try their best? And this has nothing to do about raw numbers, but about activity.

If you do a readycheck and someone is afk tagged, he will get removed from the group. AFAIK. Or did that change?
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
07/01/2013 13:11Posted by Elathin

You were the one doing that check... if you needed it, you pressed need ;)
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter
07/01/2013 16:07Posted by Nessaya
If you do a readycheck and someone is afk tagged, he will get removed from the group. AFAIK. Or did that change?

Sure this helps, but what's preventing me from AFK after the pull?
Chances are very low, someone will vote you out afterwards.
Reply Quote
Sure this helps, but what's preventing me from AFK after the pull?
Chances are very low, someone will vote you out afterwards.

Well, as more people will play like that, as more it is likely the group is going to wipe. Imagine a raid with 25 afk people.

Also, you should be interested in completing the lfr at a reasonable time, so if you would deal a lot of damage or heal as much as needed, you would be ready earlier for other adventures.

It's dumb to go afk in lfr.
Edited by Nessaya on 07/01/2013 16:17 GMT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]