Me and my character, a warning to Blizzard (w. spoiler)

90 Night Elf Warrior
Ok, here's the deal :
To keep witnessing the Operation : Shieldwall story, you forced me and my character into doing the dalaran purge quests. I didn't want to be part of that bloodbath, yet I had no other choice (or just keep farming dailies and stop all the story).

This is to Blizzard designers : you can screw up the story, the NPC's history, you can screw up balance, you can screw up loot RNG, you can screw up a whole lot of things and I will more or less keep playing.

But do NOT force my character into such an extreme behavior such as taking part in such an event, instead of just witnessing it. I am extremely attached to my character(s) and I strongly disagree when you leave me no other choice (to keep seeing the story) than acting against my morale. That's the most direct way out of the game for me.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
A small part of me didn't like it either, and I am attatched to my characters as well. But you have to remember that when you do it, Dalaran is not phased appropriately afterwards for in game reasons. You can go back there, and it'll be as if it never occured.

And they in no way forced it. You did the quests because you chose to. You chose to do the quest so you can progress with the storyline. You could have chosen not to, but with some choices, there is a consequence. There is always a choice.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
I love WoW lore, and I was so pissed when I read Tides of War, and how despicable Garrosh's actions were, but, come on mate, it's just a game, you're only killing pixels.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
10/01/2013 22:28Posted by Skrauhg
You could have chosen not to
... and be deprived of the story.
I didn't have the choice to REFUSE these orders and see the consequences.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
10/01/2013 22:31Posted by Nimstrel
but, come on mate, it's just a game, you're only killing pixels.

No offense, but no one is qualified to tell me how I enjoy videogames... You enjoy them your way (just killing pixels) and I won't ever comment on it :)
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
You're right star, after I wrote that I realised I sounded a bit harsh, sorry! I cried at the Tides of War book haha so I can't talk :p. Anyway I also thought you were talking about a scenario but I realise now you're talking about part of the storyline that I haven't done yet and don't know about so I'm not really qualified to comment about your feelings here either.
Reply Quote
I did the quest on both horde and ally side, and i must say this is the first time i felt better off as horde in my actions, i did read the jaina proudmoore book as well before i did all this , and i found it a rather intressting development, but this...kind of shocked me, not only that, but first time i did feel invested emotionally into the actions i made.
Reply Quote
2 Gnome Monk
You could have chosen not to
... and be deprived of the story.
I didn't have the choice to REFUSE these orders and see the consequences.

Seeing the consequences was still worth enough to you to commit the actions you commited.
Edited by Plonky on 10/01/2013 23:08 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
10/01/2013 23:08Posted by Plonky
Seeing the consequences was still worth enough to you to commit the actions you commited.

If there's no story to be seen, I won't keep playing very long... That's exactly what would have happened by saying "no thanks, I won't do these quests because I disagree with them".
Reply Quote
I am so happy we were finally able to put the Horde were it has always belonged.

10/01/2013 22:17Posted by Stardawn
That's the most direct way out of the game for me.

Seriously? Last time I checked, we were playing a game called WARcraft in whose very core is the conflict between the Alliance and the Horde. If anything, more genocides and battles need to be included in the game.

Enough with the tree-hugging pacifist parade. :p

EDIT: I am a pacifist in real life, but this is a game we're talking about. :p
Edited by Elenna on 10/01/2013 23:52 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I really enjoyed the Dalaran quest. I had no problems "killing" those heap of polygons going behind Jainas back.
Reply Quote
I am so happy we were finally able to put the Horde were it has always belonged.

That's the most direct way out of the game for me.

Seriously? Last time I checked, we were playing a game called WARcraft in whose very core is the conflict between the Alliance and the Horde. If anything, more genocides and battles need to be included in the game.

Enough with the tree-hugging pacifist parade. :p

EDIT: I am a pacifist in real life, but this is a game we're talking about. :p

Seriously?

LOL

I know that most players do not care about lore but those bloodthirsty, wild tempered Orc who waged war over Azeroth, were actually corrupted by Burning Legion and were not in their natural mental state.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
Detach your character from the actions and see them only as a vessel for the story.
I love the all the new story and lore in Pandaria, but Dee here isn't even there in terms of the story I build for her.

She's in Heartglen or Light's Hope, training recruits and killing Scourge.
She went there from Azuremyst isle after the Cataclysm hit and likely won't leave until the Burning Legion comes knocking again.
I've used her in Dragon Soul but story-wise she never fought Deathwing, she was in Heartglen then too.

While I like immersing myself into the story and have my characters present as they do the quests, my 'head canon' trumps what quests I happen to play through.
Or to put it another way, the story of my characters and the story of WoW are separate things for me.

Not sure if that method would work for you but it might be worth a try if you run into quests that makes you feel really uncomfortable.

For example, when Jaina and Vereesa gave their orders, maybe Stardawn stared at them for a moment and then said something along the lines of "No, those orders are wrong. I will not participate in this atrocity."
Or "No, those orders are wrong. I will help you arrest the ones guilty but I will not help you kill anyone."
And then Stardawn's player watches the story play out while her character does something slightly or entirely different. :)
Edited by Deeatal on 11/01/2013 01:50 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
11/01/2013 01:49Posted by Deeatal
Not sure if that method would work for you but it might be worth a try if you run into quests that makes you feel really uncomfortable.

They should do this for every quest! I can see it now!

"Hi!

Please collect 10 Murloc Fins for me and bring them back as soon as you can! I am preparing a wonderful meal for my family!"

"No, sir. I will not. I used to have a gold fish and it died after someone came into my room, cut off his fins and shouted 'why is the droprate so god dang aweful?!' This reminds me too much of that event. I shall not bring you these Murloc Fins."

"Oh, well.. have a look at this cinematic then!"

"Cancel cinematic?"

"Yes."

*Quest completed*
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
I honestly think you should quit this game if you take it this serious.

I just realized you had a choice, you could just you know, quit WoW since it's such a violent game and you shouldn't support it by paying your sub.
Edited by Zeus on 11/01/2013 02:53 GMT
Reply Quote
Well Now people know how i felt when i watched The horde Destroy the jade statue... Ive been trying to defect to the Earthen ring due to the fact i no longer wish to stay on either side. Kill all xxx and ruin nature is the strategy of both sides. And seriously Its !@#$ed up that this is coming from a two timing back stabbing pick pocketing murder happy rogue who does anything as long as golds involved.
Reply Quote
3 Gnome Rogue
ok i don't remember this too well but it seems to be like this:

1. the npc you killed were all aggro red which means if you come closer they attack you first so you killing them is just an act of self defence (except for those flying beasts maybe but hey I was on my hunter)

2. there were lots of non aggro civilian characters which were easy to not touch at all unless you can't do anything without aoe

so as far as i'm concerned I acted in self defense while excercising my chaotic freedom to walk anywhere I please and killed no civilians while at it.

P.S. also I have to add this.. when I play RPG I treat it as such, the ROLE playing game. Like in a movie, when an actor's character kills a man on the screen you don't immediately consider this actor a killer in heart, as well as every other character he ever plays. Same in RPG. I consider RPG a way to deliver a story about some guy. Not to make the player that guy. And I certainly do not agree with all the choices my character has to make to progress in the story. It would be like if you stopped reading the book when some of the characters in the book did something you wouldn't in his place. It's not you so it's ok to read on to know what happened later on.
Edited by Krillh on 11/01/2013 05:14 GMT
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
90 Worgen Druid
10/01/2013 22:31Posted by Nimstrel
I love WoW lore, and I was so pissed when I read Tides of War, and how despicable Garrosh's actions were, but, come on mate, it's just a game, you're only killing pixels.

So killing children and watching them getting sacrificed in the Ultima games for your own safety is acceptable? Nuh-uh. I know what you're saying, but it's sick for the most part and isn't necessary. I get the game is called "WARcraft" for a reason, but genocide should be left in the lore. I've yet to see this part of the story, but it's pretty unsettling. And I watched Salo (I really wouldn't recommend you Google that one)....
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
Maybe its time to quit if you take the game this seriously...
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
90 Gnome Mage
And I watched Salo

Salo is a piece of crap.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]