Ping.

90 Undead Monk
Oh.. Blizzard you just implemented auto kick when you've got more than 100 ping in BGs, nice!

wait a second.. you didn't ? DO IT!
Edited by Wíndwalkers on 18/01/2013 13:25 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
One day too early bud.

Weekend is tomorrow.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
So, you want to make it impossible for Aussies to do some casual PvP?
Edited by Gaija on 18/01/2013 13:37 GMT
Reply Quote
Community
I know you’re not being really serious about this, but it's true that it’s a valid concern, ping has I would say a much bigger impact in the PvP experience than PvE, particularly because it directly affects not only the player having latency issues, but the ones trying to beat him.

Of course your “proposal” wouldn't be fair to many, many players, unfortunately we’re still a long way from having top notch networking infrastructures all over the world, accessible to anybody, and the speed of light isn’t exactly on our side either (but hey, with the more recent discoveries and progress done on the teleportation of quantum information, maybe one day that won’t be an obstacle anymore).

18/01/2013 13:28Posted by Lorcan
Weekend is tomorrow.

18/01/2013 13:36Posted by Gaija
impossible for Aussies

;)
Reply Quote
51 Dwarf Shaman
I'm an Aussie and I get 36ms most of the time
Reply Quote
Community
18/01/2013 14:24Posted by Mercredí

That's really good, I assume you're one of the lucky ones, or an Aussie living abroad. ;)
In case you're really there, then your weekend has already started, enjoy your Australian summer for the rest of us in Europe, it feels like Icecrown in here.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
Not sure if it quite is "Icecrown" standards but it's not all Un'goro either.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

Aussie as from Australia,

or

Aussie as from Austria?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
36ms from australia would be physically impossible. Light could travel just 6,700 miles in that time and the round trip is 20,000 miles.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
From where I connect in South Africa I usually see 200ms, on good days it drops to 180ms at best. Considering the distance I think that's actually pretty good and I find it quite playable.

Not that I wouldn't love to experience WoW at sub 50ms, but I would be really sad if I was kicked for being unable to.
Reply Quote
Oh.. Blizzard you just implemented auto kick when you've got more than 100 ping in BGs, nice!

wait a second.. you didn't ? DO IT!

Why do you need <100ms in bgs? BGs are really easy, especially if 90% of your enemy team are bots. Also, wow is easily playable with 200-300ms. After that it gets a bit annoying.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight

you live in Paris?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
100ms is fine to play with. There are bigger issues with PvP like 20% boting and a faulty report system.

Activision get more $, they are happy. Players are less happy about the hypocrisy regarding cheating in PvP.
Reply Quote
51 Dwarf Shaman
18/01/2013 15:02Posted by Taepsilum

That's really good, I assume you're one of the lucky ones, or an Aussie living abroad. ;)
In case you're really there, then your weekend has already started, enjoy your Australian summer for the rest of us in Europe, it feels like Icecrown in here.

Haha - Aussie in the UK. Wishing I was in Sydney right now though - proper sunshine going on there ^^
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
18/01/2013 17:01Posted by Mercredí

Haha - Aussie in the UK. Wishing I was in Sydney right now though - proper sunshine going on there ^^

Must be fun running from bush fires yea...
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
I'd like to give two info from my personal experience :

I have an excellent fiber connection. Displayed pings are both usually 10-20ms.

1) Me and my gf play together in the same room. There is usually a good half a second delay (500ms) between both computers. I.E. when one of us performs an action, the other sees it only half a second or more later. There should be ten times less than that (1 trip to the server and return).

2) I'm figthing these rare Mantid mobs and their "Blade Furry" frontal attack. When I see the attack and run directly through them and behind them, I get hit *always* when I obviously am not in the area displayed as affected when the attack lands. Same with that Orc NPC and his frontal attack near Operation Shieldwall. I am 100% certain on my screen that I avoided the attack, yet I get hit.

TL;DR : displayed ping is FAR from accurate and even with the best reaction time, you can't avoid some effects.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
Fail to see what Australians have to do with a weekend thread, I mean their weekend is almost over. Almost....
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]