Why do we get punished for doing our best?

(Locked)

100 Blood Elf Mage
Blizzard is giving us an incentive of valor points in order to get people who want to progress faster.. have the option to do so.

I am one of those players, and i am glad that there is an option for us to progress a bit faster.
However i feel punished and hold back for wanting to be better :'(

I do my dailies, all of them every day, i do my random heroic, LFR, etc..

The only thing stopping me is the valor cap. It is not even balanced.

- If you do your dailies each day that is like: approx 30 dailies x 5 valor point = 150 valor points
- One week = 150 x 7 = 1050 valor points
- Daily heroic = 80 x 7 = 560 valor points
- First weekly raid finder = 90 valor points
- All bosses = 45 valor points x 17 = 765 valor points
- Daily scenario = 40 x 7 = 280 valor points
And many more to sum up bringing my weekly earn valor points to 2745 valor points.

The cap at the moment is 1000 while an item is in average somewhere around 1300-1500 valor points.

This means that for doing my best ill be lucky to get 1 item every 2 weeks.. while i have put in more effort then the earnings.

If you buy for example Sunspeaker's Flared Gloves it costs 1750 which means 2 weeks working and then i have 250 left .. than i need to work 2 weeks again to get something else. This being said i also lose 1745 valor point each week.

Surely you guys can either raise the valor cap OR lower the valor point requirement... i can't even upgrade my items cuz i will not have enough to buy an item then.

This is being painfull to a lot of people and i rly hope that you guys look into this matter.

Friendly greetings,
Alisce.

Ps: i'm still a big wow-fan non the less the pain i get from this ;)
Edited by Alisce on 03/01/2013 10:16 GMT
- World of Warcraft
90 Worgen Druid
I think all this is doing is just helping those who can't get enough dailies because of them being oh-so fun. The whole idea of dailies is not to do them all in one go, get capped and cry about it, but instead choose which ones you want to do and when. This is the problem we faced in Cataclysm, where players met caps too quickly because nothing was taken in moderation.

In 5.2 when your cap is hit, your Valor then gets converted to JPs, Honour, Conquest, all this kinda thing. It's basically telling you "you're not listening, bud! You've hit your cap! Stop! Naow! Alright, fine, here's your points - oh, they're not valor? I don't give a damn!". It's a good system to make sure you take everything in moderation and in breaks, not try to gear up immediately.
100 Blood Elf Mage
I think my frustration atm is that i'm trying to get raid rdy and get my ilvl but luck of the draw is being bad to me in LFR.. 2 weeks no drop.

I used my valor points last week so i cannot buy something good for next 2 weeks.

So my last resort is buying stuff of the AH which is also not great seeing the prices but i coped with it by buying patterns...

It would just be nice if they atleast give us the option to buy an item each week, like make the cap 1750 or so ..

Ps i'm just like that, i feel like a day that i left my golden lotus dailies is a day longer to achieve that goal :)

I did not read that convertion change though that is defi something good to not loosing all your work.
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Cap is fine for if you have work in real life or life outside this game the 1000 point cap is total ok but if unlucky to have alot of free time on your hand i do see OP problem but as Jonní say 5.2 well fix the problem you still get dalies and still reward for do them and also it is meant to do all in one go other also as Jonní say.
70 Night Elf Rogue
it's a way to stretch the play time by forcegully slowing you down that's all
90 Goblin Rogue
Its enforced gating.

People complain 2 weeks into an xpac they have nothing to do, this means that it will take a while for you to gear up. Don't get me wrong its a pretty week way of doing it but it works.
100 Blood Elf Mage
I understand why they do it, i just don't like it that you cannot buy an item each week if you are hit capped.. so a slight increase would not hurt.

But it is to keep us playing i supose..
Community
The cap should not really be seen as punishment to people for being able to reach the maximum amount of Valor points every week. The idea behind the cap is to give people a choice on how they reach the cap without having them feel obliged to do everything.

Valor points should also not be considered the primary way of gearing your character. The idea behind Valor in MoP is for them to be a supplement to the gearing process. i.e. you gear up normally through dungeons and raids. As it is normal to have streaks of bad luck, and thus having weeks when you are obtaining no or only few upgrades, you can get a little gear on the side by using Valor points and by doing a little crafting/trading.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
02/01/2013 13:06Posted by Vaneras
Valor points should also not be considered the primary way of gearing your character. The idea behind Valor in MoP is for them to be a supplement to the gearing process.

Please explain how I upgrade my armor twice for a total of 8 itemlevels without VP?
100 Troll Hunter
02/01/2013 13:17Posted by Moonleg
Please explain how I upgrade my armor twice for a total of 8 itemlevels without VP?

Item upgrades are a new and exciting way to keep people playing after they have raid gear. It's called "Grinding"! Upgrading every BiS item will take you over 20 weeks which is the goal Blizzard.
90 Gnome Mage
Valor points should also not be considered the primary way of gearing your character. The idea behind Valor in MoP is for them to be a supplement to the gearing process.

The item upgrade is basically a replacement for a progressive hard nerf to raids. You don't need to upgrade gear, strictly speaking. You aren't expected to upgrade all of your gear within a couple of weeks. As Monkylord says, it's an on going thing to prevent "Well, I've got my BiS gear. Guess I'll stop since there's nothing left to do" and to act as a progressive buff to your character. It's either this or the flat out nerf to raids which is so terribly loathed by many.
90 Night Elf Hunter
I'm pretty much glad it isn't over 1k. I'm capping the weekly Valor hard enough already and it exhausts me. I wouldn't want to push for more.
Edited by Kaira on 02/01/2013 14:27 GMT
100 Pandaren Mage
I would love an +10/20% valor cap increase.

I find myself punished, when I can't progress.
90 Troll Shaman
i ll fix this for you
- dailies for charms, 45 a week, 225 VP, im not insane to do any more than i have to
- Daily heroic = you re joking right?
- First weekly raid finder = toes, i queue while doing my 45 dailies, 90VP
- All bosses = 45 valor points x 16 = 720VP, i m pretty sure sha doesnt give VP, might be wrong tho
- Daily scenario = 40 x 7 = scenario? on daily basis? stop abusing drugs man

1035/1000, thank you and bb
90 Pandaren Monk
The cap should not really be seen as punishment to people for being able to reach the maximum amount of Valor points every week. The idea behind the cap is to give people a choice on how they reach the cap without having them feel obliged to do everything.

Valor points should also not be considered the primary way of gearing your character. The idea behind Valor in MoP is for them to be a supplement to the gearing process. i.e. you gear up normally through dungeons and raids. As it is normal to have streaks of bad luck, and thus having weeks when you are obtaining no or only few upgrades, you can get a little gear on the side by using Valor points and by doing a little crafting/trading.

"You dont have to do dailies, you can raid without. They do help but are totally optional" - Every blue post about the dailies.

So how does the valor cap fit in this? You dont have to do everything, but now if you're capped you dont have as much of a carrot to do things. People with a lot of either time or skill should get some kind of rewards after reaching the cap without being labeled as elitist dbags.

To quote Bill Maher "In other fields the "elite" is a good thing. Like an elite fighting force, Tiger Woods is an elite golfer, if i need brain surgery i'd like an elite doctor", in wow if you're being called elite it implies you're someone who's condecending to people you think are worse than you and nothing else.

I dont really get why there's a cap on something that's being awarded from the easiest tasks there is, dailies you do alone or the ridiculously easy 5-man heroics (which there wont be any new ones in 5.2, and you have 20+ item levels making em even easier). Not only that but the more gear you get the easier (equals boring) they get, and the weekly cap just forces (this is how it feels to me) to do them when they become more irrelevant every week. There should be tiers of gearing up, for example normals->heroics/lf->challenges/raids that dont have weekly caps hindering your progression. You should be able to grind one item level tier as much as you want for as much gear as you want with the goal being to reach the next item level tier, the better you are the faster you get there.

I've said this before, there's nothing wrong with giving out free gear from dailies after weeks of grinding, but there should be a shortcut, a really hard and personally challenging way to reach higher item levels faster, especially on alts.

tldr: I dont like the idea of the cap, its just some number you have to reach every week, i'd rather burn 2000 on some week and nothing on the next, 700 on other and 1000 on some other week or we need jp to replace the current vp and have vp actually come from something challenging and challenging content only.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I've stopped playing, however the game time hasnt expired yet.

first of all, ready to raid NOW? where were you several months ago? We progressed in raids in blues, not full epixxx.

vaneras is right here guys. VP isnt your main income of gear, only if you do heroics and do RP stuff because you cant raid and get ur hands on free epics.

This is actually one of the things that made me quit wow; people want epics, and they want it now. its basicly point-and-click game already, and then people want to get what they want with even more minimal effort. ugh.

How about you find a guild and actually do what the game is designed for? beating level ?? mobs and get loot, not buying loot from a friendly npc with a currency obtained from daily quests...
If you've got more than one active alt earning Valor points the cap is a very good thing, because once you've capped on for the week you get the 50% Valor point increase for the others.
100 Tauren Druid
If Blizzard did raise the valour cap to the amount that you could attain by doing every single daily and raid finder, plus a daily heroic and scenario for example, then before you could blink the forum would be spammed with even more rage threads where people yelled at Blizzard for 'forcing' them to do dailies.

Most of them would have the word 'MANDATORY' in the tile in caps.
Community

Just as the method of acquiring Valor points is a choice, so it is a choice how you decide to spend your Valor points.

The cap means that you cannot have everything at once, or even very quickly(as that would render the normal gearing process irrelevant), and this means that you will have to prioritise and make a choice when spending your points... one that actually matters. You must choose what is most beneficial to your character - decide if it is better in the long run to upgrade a piece or replace that piece with something else. If you feel the best way to spend your Valor Points is to upgrade your armor, well then that is what you spend your Valor Points on when you are able to do so.

The primary means of acquiring new gear is through defeating content like for an example raids, whereas Valor Points is a supplemental means of getting new gear. For an example, if you have acquired the best possible gear you can get from one tier of content, then you should be well equipped to face the next tier of content above it, which will reward you with even better gear if you succeed. The Valor Points system serves as a supplement to that process, helping you with a new piece of gear or an upgrade here or there, but it is not meant as an alternate gearing process.

There are several reasons behind the Valor cap btw., none of which are to serve as a punishment for people with a lot of time on their hands. Just in case you would like to know the reasons behind the Valor cap, they are as follows:
  • To make sure that the normal gearing process through facing and defeating different tiers of content is not circumvented or rendered irrelevant.
  • To make your choices matter. We want there to be choice and decision-making involved when building and playing your character.
  • To ensure that as many people as possible can use their time in-game on something they think is fun and that they enjoy doing, and not make people feel like they have to spend massive amounts of time every day just to reach a theoretical maximum weekly limit of Valor Points.

Whether or not the cap is too low is of course a different matter, and this kind of thing is of course something the developers are keeping an eye on continuously as the game evolves and progresses :-)
This thread is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]