Why MoP ruined the game for casual players

90 Tauren Paladin
Now, first of all, I'd like to say that I've played WoW since Patch 1.6 and seen most of what Blizzard has had to offer in this game. I've done raids, dungeons, heroics, world events (including the AQ serverwide event), quests, dailies, key chains, class chains and I've leveled a dozen characters to level 60 and above. So I'm no new player, and this is not a "whine-thread".

Since MoP's release (actually before that, but especially since then), the game has started to bug me, and the reasons are simple.

I am a teacher by education, which means that in addition to an 8 AM - 15 PM workday, I have at least 2-3 hours of extra work when I get home. Add driving to work, cooking food, spending time with friends and family, I am left with very, very little time to play. And that's where my problem comes in. Since then, the game has become nothing more than a giant pile of dailies. You want gear? Do dailies. You want quests? Dailies. You want end-game content without raiding eight days a week? Dailies, dailies, dailies.

But guess what? I don't have time for dailies! And neither does the average casual player in a similar situation like me! I am in a casual guild with casual players, and it has become nearly impossible for us to keep up with the immense amount of dailies required to even give the game meaning. Cataclysm was a faceroll in tabards and dungeons. MoP is a mountain of dailies, only climbable by those who have hours to spare every day.

Well, Blizzard, I don't have time to do several hours of dailies every single day, and neither does 95% of the casual players, and I have a guild full of them to back me up. I have friends who play, and they spend all afternoon doing dailies, sometimes even more!

As I'm writing this, I haven't logged on for about three weeks, and I am considering cancelling my account, because the game simply isn't playable for casual fun anymore. Sure, I can level up new characters, explore and do that sort of thing, but where's the progress in that? In Vanilla, TBC, WotLK and Cata I could play 1-2 hours every night and maybe on saturdays, and I'd do good progression. Now, that's not possible anymore. I spent every available day/night from MoP release until November doing dailies, and it led me nowhere, because it wasn't enough time to do them all.

Please, Blizzard, make the game playable for casual players again, you managed it fine for six years, don't screw it up now.
90 Dwarf Hunter
13/01/2013 20:25Posted by Jethrow
Well, Blizzard, I don't have time to do several hours of dailies every single day

I do 20-40 minutes of dailys per day. Problem solved.
Dailys aren't required for gameplay.
55 Blood Elf Paladin
Kotick ruined it for everyone.
90 Worgen Death Knight
I'm a casual player, and I'm doing just fine. However, not all causals have your job, so they may have more time, so you use the term rather loosely and incorrectly.
Edited by Skrauhg on 13/01/2013 20:31 GMT
90 Blood Elf Mage
If anything the game has catered far too much towards the 'I want it all and I want it now' casual playerbase.

I am sorry but your view is completely opposite to my point of view.

This game has become so casual now it has lost all of it's original magic. Don't get me wrong I love the game as much now as I have since I started (also in Vanilla) but if anything it has become too casual.
90 Blood Elf Mage
13/01/2013 20:29Posted by Stonefather
I do 20-40 minutes of dailys per day.

They don't even take that long. Most of the times you can grp up with people and do them in around 10 mins.
90 Night Elf Hunter
Dailies takes nowhere near "hours", they do if you tab out to facebook while you do it though. They key word is being effective, do a LFM in /1, bring friends, invite people you see along the way. Even alone you can do them at a fine pace.
90 Human Paladin
Question... If you don't have the time to play for an hour or two then why do you need gear? Why do you need to keep up and with who? 0o

If you want gear you can get it from crafting, scenarios, lfr and rare spawns.
90 Human Paladin
I play this game quite abit, I dont like dailys, I don't do them, your not forced in any way, and they aren't a big part of gear progress anymore with 5-6 LFRs and alot of normal raids, you could have plenty of gear by now if you did those
8 Orc Hunter
Nowdays I'm mainly a pvper and left the raiding scene due to less time to spend on WoW.

I set up 2 factions at a time to grind rep on. All dailys for 2 factions at a time, takes approx 20 -25 mins for me, done while checking mail, catch up with friends on fb etc at the same time.

Sure, I don't get all the factions at optimum speed, but I do it for the achievements and the storyline (to some extent concerning dailys).

I think the time invested in these is fairly decent for what I get out of it.
1 Human Warrior
Casual players ruined the game for normal players. Also this word "Casual" It could mean a number of things. One being Lazy players. Another being noobs who want things easy.

I mean look at you for example. You're a tank with strength gems. You have no enchants. So you obviously put no effort into the game.

You seem to be of the confused opinion that what you think of as casuals aren't the most common type of player. No, it's not "normal" to spend 24hours+ a week on a game.

Secondly, it's not "lazy" to not spend that amount of time on a game, in my world it's "lazy" to spend that time in a game instead of doing what the op does, irl work.
90 Undead Death Knight
If you want good stuff you have to work for it. Just like everything else in life. Maybe you should consider a game that doesn't take much time or effort and is catered towards causuals, such as Call of Duty or Halo. If you don't like FPS games, maybe you should consider Runescape.
90 Human Warrior
Hm...

I always thought that if something needed for most mmo's is plenty of free time.
If you can't find free time to play the game or at least to the extend that would be fun for you, then there is only one solution. To find a new game that would suit your free time.

See what i did here :)
90 Night Elf Rogue
Dear OP, please do not be painting casual gamers with your own brush.

Myself: Lecturer
Work Day: 7am-5pm Mon-Fri (plus many Weekend days, as well as evening work).

I have plenty of time, even taking into account of cooking, cleaning, caring for my kiddies etc. I might have no formal raiding in MoP, but that has more to do with being 8 hours ahead of the server due to living in Asia...

I get plenty done quest/LFR/RPwise.

Just because you seem to be unable to manage your time, please do not equate that to 'MoP ruined the game for casuals'.
90 Night Elf Death Knight
You don't HAVE to do any dalies at all. But you have the option to..

Why you don't cry about HAVING to raid aswell beats me, cause that would use the very same logic as your 'daily' problem.

Of course I see where you're comming from, but what's the alternative, what was so better before? Spamming' 5's? Cause that's the alternative..and it's also still possible.
Except we now also have scenarios and LFR...

Aaand, someone shoulld really start categorizing all these terms and make it official or something, "casual" has so many different defenitions. Playtime wise, some would consider me casual, while others would brand me "lawl no life radier get a job".
90 Blood Elf Paladin
The only dailies I do is the cooking token one occasionally, dailies being used as a reason to quit or why the game is broken is just cover up for general qq. They went overboard at launch, 5.1 dailies were much more acceptable and I didn't mind those at all. Shrug.
90 Blood Elf Hunter
13/01/2013 21:04Posted by Bianconeri
Dailies takes nowhere near "hours", they do if you tab out to facebook while you do it though. They key word is being effective, do a LFM in /1, bring friends, invite people you see along the way. Even alone you can do them at a fine pace.

This honestly is a great suggestion.

You said you have a guild full of casuals to back you up, so how about you all band together and whip through those dailies super fast.
90 Pandaren Monk
Casual players ruined the game for normal players. Also this word "Casual" It could mean a number of things. One being Lazy players. Another being noobs who want things easy.

I mean look at you for example. You're a tank with strength gems. You have no enchants. So you obviously put no effort into the game.

Your attitude stinks. Please offer some constructive feedback. Maybe tell him why putting strength gems in his gear is wrong? Instead of chastising him?

Also, no player ruined any game for anyone.
90 Troll Rogue
I'll be honest, dailies as I see it at the moment, sure there's a lot of them, but they're 1 type of format, sure, I can understand them feeling mandatory but they aren't, I mean, casually, you could do Scenarios, they're quite chilled back and often taking 30 minutes max (unless for some reason you're 2 manning it or you're new or whatever), raiders have LFR/normal/hc as well as the non-raiding hc guys, then you have the people who love dailies...Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds more like you're complaining about the grinding, which really, is the synergy of MMO's.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]