Why MoP ruined the game for casual players

90 Blood Elf Hunter
well, in my opinion what he meant was that they did put so many new factions on mop, that if you want a achievement for being exalted, you have to put a lot of time in it. do dailies every day for every faction. i personally consider it quiet a lot as well. dont play that much, but it takes months to casually doing dailies for exalted rep....ergo achievement. so therefore if you dedicate an hour for it a day, it will take you some time for all factions to reach exalted.
90 Blood Elf Priest
Hey, I never done a daily on this character, all i do is sit in Orgrimmar and chat to friends. I have only been to 2 raids. I also do LFR every week and etc... but thats it. I could say you don't have to do dailies if you don't want to. I didn't and i haven't had much trouble gearing, getting into raids, and i only spend 4 hours a day doing something productive...
90 Blood Elf Rogue
I personally agree that the number of factions is overwhelming for casual players. As an Officer of a successful guild for casual players we do find comments from our member base tend to follow the same pattern of "Almost got X,Y or Z faction, but the I have 100 more". I think it is tough for people juggling other life matters and finding time to play WoW long enough to see progression happening. Some people have left purely because they see others advancing faster than themselves and feel they are being left in the dust as such. However we do all do what we can to help each other in this issue.

For players with more time I feel there really isn't an issue with the factions, it is is rewarding to gather each piece of gear from different factions and the mounts are a nice feature.

Guess the bonus XP for all future characters for said faction once it is exalted once is a nice feature for the casual player base.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
16/01/2013 09:48Posted by Elviryn
I agree, choice would be nice but I would hate to see a weekly cap on rep, for both my main and my alts. However, without this cap allowing people to gain rep through perpetual and 'reasonable' as you put it, turn ins/dungeon runs would make it imbalanced.
Why? A weekly cap is exactly the same as 7 times a daily cap...

There's a big difference for people who have some days where they can play a lot and other days with limited time.
90 Orc Warlock
I find this OP'S Post a bit of a whine despite his belief its not.
If you want some gear /progression you will do the work required.
Even under the old system he would have had to dungeons for the valor to upgrade his gear ( at the least)

Looking at the character the OP posts on he doesn't even have Pandaria dungeon hero achieve

Can't help but feel some people want everything gifted to them.
90 Human Mage
Jethrow you made some good points,

I run my own business and have two young children, spending time with my family is paramount, wow is only something I can do casual these days.

I would not say that wow is ruined, but it’s undeniable that the more time you play wow, the more you get out of it, and playing wow all day is not an option if you want a healthy life. I know players that just plonk there children in front of the TV so they can play wow, all day, every day! And that is not something I want or will do.

Years ago when blizz brought in the achievements was when the game changed for me, I would argue (politely) that MoP has a lot for the casual player but it’s not satisfying when you are used to end level content and want to access end level content, LFR is great for introducing a player to raiding, but no one would disagree that it’s not a challenge like Heroic modes, and that is almost impossible for the casual player, high end guilds have raid start times that are unsympathetic to children’s bed times, and require gear Item level’s hard to attain without raiding. (As you need to raid, to raid)

I also refuse to ask 24 people to wait in the middle of a raid while I afk 20 mins to change a nappy and read a story etc, it’s not fair on those 24 others.

For me the most important thing as a casual player is the content I can't solo, as I can slowly and surely chug through the solo content at my own pace (dailies, pet battles, solo content achievements, scenarios, dungeons when I have more than 30 mins, even old raid content for transmog), But many of the achievements are meta or chain achievements resulting in a mount or title, and these are sometimes removed before you can get em, I’m still displeased with the removal or the ZG mounts, especially the red Armani battle bear, and the Naxx black/plagued proto drakes, as I was extremely close to getting them then bam . .gone.

This is the reality now of casual play, the chances are the thing you have been spending most of your time trying to achieve gets removed! Or the next expansion will come out before I even get full LFR gear.

So for me it’s clear that blizzard does not either want, or know how to allow the casual gamer to access this content while keeping those that play a lot happy too, but they still want us to play, and more importantly pay, So our job is to explain to them how to make it better for us and hope they listen.

Let’s not forget, this expansion is not over yet

But seriously blizzard stop removing stuff before those of us trying to be responsible with jobs, and/or trying to bring up the next generation properly can get them.
Edited by Bluejedi on 16/01/2013 10:29 GMT
90 Undead Death Knight
I really don't get why some people are so upset over the dailies.

Just don't do them. I'm currently exalted with the Anglers, the Tillers, the Lorewalkers and the Dominance Offensive and revered with the other factions. At the beginning of Pandaria I'd only do the Tillers dailies (because I like the farm) and another faction of my choice. The Dominance Offensive I did regularly (not every day, but almost) because I enjoyed the lore. Now I'm focusing on pet battles and rading, though I'll pick up August Celestial dailies when it's the Red Crane Temple hub (because I enjoy the dueling story) and occasionally help out the Shado Pan if I'm anywhere in their neighborhood (I don't do the mantid quests much anymore, though I might do Dark Skies if it's up and one that I can combine with farming cooking mats). I rarely do Golden Lotus because I think they're boring, but I don't really have to unless I crave the Thundering Serpent Mount.

You don't need the dailies for anything. Hitting revered with any faction is ridiculously easy (you normally have a head start if you just quested in the area), and you don't need each and every epic provided by every quartermaster, so you can just focus on whatever faction you fancy. Shouldn't take you more than a couple of weeks at most. Is that really too steep a price for an epic item?

The only reason people could be upset is because they have the misguided notion that one has to do each and every factions' dailies every day, (which is wrong and against all evidence) and just refuse to let go of it for some reason.

As constructive criticism I'll say that of all the dailies, the Golden Lotus are probably the worst (which is unfortunate considering you had to grind them to unlock some of the other reps). You get to do many dailies for very little rep/time expended, so they feel slightly like a speed bump (which they probably were). Shado Pan dailies are great (up there with Molten Front) and Cloud Serpent and August Celestials are also fun. Mantids are nice once you keep unlocking new quest-givers, but the grind to exalted is one I don't fancy. So... I didn't do it. And nothing happened to me.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I think I had 1 valor item (Honored) when I got into LFR.

I think I had 3 by the time I could access the 3 latter ones.

If anything Blizzard will make additional ways to earn Lesser Charms, but hopefully they won't gradually devalue factions to the point players don't even have to interact with them again.

The only reason people could be upset is because they have the misguided notion that one has to do each and every factions' dailies every day, (which is wrong and against all evidence) and just refuse to let go of it for some reason.

They set these goals for themselves then feel insulted when Blizzard doesn't agree.
Edited by Veraz on 16/01/2013 10:57 GMT
90 Goblin Warlock

But many of the achievements are meta or chain achievements resulting in a mount or title, and these are sometimes removed before you can get em, I’m still displeased with the removal or the ZG mounts, especially the red Armani battle bear, and the Naxx black/plagued proto drakes, as I was extremely close to getting them then bam . .gone.

This is the reality now of casual play, the chances are the thing you have been spending most of your time trying to achieve gets removed! Or the next expansion will come out before I even get full LFR gear.

I can understand the frustration, but seeing it from the other side, i must say some Titles/AV and Mounts should be "exclusive" to those who could spend the time and effort to do it when it was current and not when you could rush through solo. And there seems to be only a few exceptions where this is the case... ICC, Ulduar, all Cata AVs and rewards stayed untouched.

I also believe a lot of those mounts and titles lose a ton of its value when it becomes "a free for all". Everybody flies around with those mounts and nobody can tell at first glance if its done the old hard way or with +10 levels. I'd rather see something like they do with the HC Endboss mounts dropping the garanteed drop to a minimal chance... e.g. no more protodrakes in ulduar but killing yogg gives you a small chance.
90 Human Paladin
Bring back the tabard system!
16/01/2013 11:00Posted by Divinitý

Yeah! bring it back!
86 Night Elf Druid
16/01/2013 11:00Posted by Divinitý

For the love of god bring em back!
90 Human Mage
13/01/2013 20:25Posted by Jethrow
and this is not a "whine-thread"

It quite clearly is.

Obligatory...

"I have played since" - check
"I'm not moaning... but" - check
stealthily "I am not a basement dweller, I am sucessful and I have loads of friends" - check
15/01/2013 13:01Posted by Draztal
LFR requires you to have ilvl460, which you can get by completing all the Dread Wastes quests, some Townlong Steppes rewards, and if you're still lacking gear for some reason: heroics/scenarios. You don't need to dailies to get in.

Yes I'm quoting myself!

As some people have pointed out, you can't reach ilvl 460 in Dread Wastes/Townlong Steppes (and I totally made a mistake in that sense). What I was referring instead, was 5-man heroics. My points stands still, you don't need dailies to gain access to the LFR, and chain running 5-man heroics will be faster too since you don't need a 463 item on every slot to access LFR, but you won't get it either just with Dread Wastes/Townlong exclusively :)
Edited by Draztal on 16/01/2013 11:55 GMT
90 Worgen Priest
I think if you find this a problem do what i have been doing just focusing on rep at a time Im in no hurry to get through them all in the fist few weeks and im at all keen on the sheild wall rep so i will leave that for long time before i even start it.

Also if gear is such a problem why have you not lvld our proffs most quatermasters have pattens for each proffs so there are some epics ready to made and equiped .

Tbh im not a fan of dungeon tabards and im no hurry to see them back
90 Draenei Shaman
I actually think MoP is gr8 for casuals. I just do LFR and a few dungeons a week. Its not that much time consumeing, its fun, and i can do it when ever i feel like playing. I do dailes 2 days only to get charms of good fortune (need about 2 dayes of doing dailes to collect 90 lesser charms)

But i do mind the repeating of this with an alt ...
Now im lvling a new char ... i do not look forward doing again the same dailes. I know it will go faster than my main (double the rep and all that) but still ... its abit anoying.
90 Pandaren Shaman
To much repetition to much dialy's cap for VP to low.
Capping VP take to long.

while PVP cap is double off pve cap.
And take 4 times faster to cap.
90 Pandaren Monk
Work 9-5, got to the gym 2-4 times a week, play ice hockey yet i can still do dailies no prob.

Once my boy is in bed me and the Mrs do some dungs, LFR and dailes and in bed for 10:30pm
90 Night Elf Druid
getting tired of seeing posts like these pop up, MoP is fine i'm quite enjoying the mix of it all (although im not much of a pvper atm) i managed to get into heroic mode raiding on my alt without getting myself exalted on reputations just done a few for the weekly gold coins (wich are really easy to get takes like 30 minutes of your time a day) LFR is more then enough.
ive got plenty of friends who enjoy the social aspect of the game grouping up for lfr blaze through dungeons together etc.

offcourse there are always those that demand changes based on silly ideas or standards.
majority enjoys this game (otherwise this game would be dead)
perhaps instead of ranting about it all start thinking how you could enjoy this game and make it work for you.
I'm casual, and im enjoying MoP alot.
The problem with the OP's post from my perspective is the 'want want want' mentality.
I dont have alot of playtime, and i'd like to get my stuffs at some point as well, but in no way, shape or form will i feel forced to do anything if i sit down for entertainment purposes.

Claiming to be casual, yet still feeling pressured because you make yourself believe you 'must' have stuff and as such, spend your online time by doing nothing else but dailies or comparable grinds that seem to frustrate you indicates a hardcore mindstate - which in return is ruining your entertainment value.

My advice, truly be casual.
Spend those few hours doing stuff you (also) enjoy, and for me thats playing one of my 24 twinks, tanking dungeons for guildmates, doing quests on alts with others, or just doing some mat farming for one of my profs while i discuss the occurances of the past few days with my buddies in guild and on Skype.

There is no must in this game, it's something you tell yourself to do.
Deviate from that mindset and play in a genuine casual fashion and you'll be enjoying this game once again.

And if you think thats bollocks and you cant let go of your 'must/want' mindset, you'd probably be better off unsubbing mate.
Edited by Funkybacon on 16/01/2013 12:00 GMT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]