New sceme to keep people hooked?

90 Pandaren Hunter
Yes, you should quit if you don't want goals in an mmorpg...
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
03/01/2013 10:16Posted by Coriandra
Thing is I don't think it's really realistic to be able to only add story quests and expect the content to last.

I don't expect storylines to last. I play through a storyline, I love it and enjoy it, and then I move on to other things, just like in every other game.

I can totally see why it's a good business move for Blizzard to stretch it out. I can. But I disagree that it's a good game design move.
And, sadly, video games are a commercial art. I can't ask Blizzard to stop making profit, but we can at least give negative feedback when we're being led around by the nose.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
03/01/2013 00:11Posted by Danellos
And also, the blue post in Korea stating that they know their players want "the most challenging content" and thus are "buffing 25-man loot [to encourage the use of 25-mans]" already beat that argument into the ground a long time ago. Obviously the Asians believe that 25-man raids are more challenging.
You are conveniently 'forgetting' that they also buffed the difficulty of 25 man raids in Asia to compensate for the better loot. They didn't just buff the loot because 25 man's are harder, they saw that Asians liked 25 man the best and as such increased their difficulty and gave them better loot. Stop trying to twist Blizzard's actions into supporting your own flawed opinions.

The only difference in difficulty between 25 and 10 man here is the fact that you need 25 good players instead of 10 good players.
Edited by Elviryn on 03/01/2013 12:08 GMT
Reply Quote
The most important anti daily argument is: they are boring as f*ck.
Reply Quote
MVP - WoW, StarCraft II
90 Worgen Druid
03/01/2013 12:06Posted by Elviryn
You are conveniently 'forgetting' that they also buffed the difficulty of 25 man raids in Asia to compensate for the better loot. They didn't just buff the loot because 25 man's are harder, they saw that Asians liked 25 man the best and as such increased their difficulty and gave them better loot. Stop trying to twist Blizzard's actions into supporting your own flawed opinions.

<edited, please stop discussing raid setups guys>

I am not going to respond any further about the 10v25 argument because this is not the point of the thread, and I fear mentioning it would have baited possible derailment. We can leave that argument for another thread.
Edited by Danellos on 05/01/2013 21:19 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I've been reading topics about the dailies for a while now, and I want to weigh in. I've played WoW since Vanilla, and even though I've been inactive a few times, I've always come back.

Now... I do not hate dailies. In WotLK, I didn't mind doing them at all. In fact, when I didn't feel like doing them, I skipped them, and didn't feel like I was 'falling behind' or 'missing out' on anything other than pets, mounts or certain gear I didn't HAVE to get, because I could get the same or better gear with justice points or with gold.
Along came Cata. And more dailies. Which, for the most part, I didn't mind, because there were some nice achievements to do, some nice rewards to get, and - again - I did them whenever I felt like it, for mounts, pets, or certain gear I didn't HAVE to get, because I could get the same or better gear with justice/valor/other points or with gold.

Then came MoP. And a massive amount of dailies, which I do mind doing. In fact, I've grown bored with them pretty fast, and even though I don't HAVE to do them to get good gear - I can get equally good or better gear from running dungeons or raids - I DO have to do them to get recipes for my profession (leatherworking) and I DO have to do them if I want to progress FAST(ER).
The dailies are boring. There's not real story that ties into them (apart from the Dominance Offense or whatever it's called), in fact, they are very forgettable. The only dailies I did with something akin to a feeling of 'fun', were the Tiller dailies. But other than that? They. Are. Boring. I don't like the fact that I FEEL forced to do them, or risk 'falling behind' on the 'progression curve'.

Don't get me wrong, when I don't feel like doing them, I don't do them, but then I miss out on certain gear upgrades. Oh, I can get gear upgrades, but only if I run dungeon after dungeon after dungeon, and raid after raid after raid, and they are boring as well! I miss the WotLK-raids, I miss the WotLK- (and even the TBC-)dungeons, which were fun to do. Nowadays it's just boss-boss-boss and that's it.
I liked the system in WotLK, where you could choose to do one of various differing ways to get justice points AND reputation. At times I felt like doing dailies, at others times I felt like running dungeons, or doing raids, and it felt more like I had a choice. Today? I don't feel like I have a choice at all. Yes, I can do them, or not do them. Ooooh, wow, that's an awesome choice right there.

I don't care about those stupid coins (awful system if you ask me), but I care about the reputations. Even with the commendations I really don't feel like going through the motions for those reputations on my alts all over again. With WotLK I didn't mind as much, but with Cata I was already dreading doing the same grind again. Now? I won't even bother.
Edited by Adarra on 03/01/2013 12:23 GMT
Reply Quote
26 Draenei Priest
03/01/2013 12:19Posted by Danellos

The people in Korea complained about the fact that 25-man raiding guilds were dying, just like we in the EU and US are complaining, because obviously gamers want to go down the path of least resistance, especially where progression is concerned, and they picked 10 over 25 simply because 10 is easier to organize, coordinate, and its easier to spot where mistakes in boss encounters are coming from.

I am not going to respond any further about the 10v25 argument because this is not the point of the thread, and I fear mentioning it would have baited possible derailment. We can leave that argument for another thread.

Lol you lost that one m8
Reply Quote
MVP - WoW, StarCraft II
90 Worgen Druid
03/01/2013 13:59Posted by Nabia
Lol you lost that one m8

Or perhaps I am just swallowing my pride to avoid derailing the thread further like any decent human being with common sense on forum usage would.

Please, don't try to drag the debate on, it isn't going to work with me. This thread is about dailies in the next content patch, not preferred raid setups.
Edited by Danellos on 03/01/2013 14:04 GMT
Reply Quote
26 Draenei Priest
03/01/2013 14:02Posted by Danellos
Or perhaps I am just swallowing my pride to avoid derailing the thread further like any decent human being with common sense on forum usage would.

Yet you were the initial instigator of this debate; you knowingly shared your controversial views in a thread where they were rather unwarranted. So please save your pseudo-moral justifications for the "decent Humans" which you're clearly not a part of.

You're only ending the debate now because you realise you're out of any remotely intellectual points to add to your already convoluted argument.

There's not much debate going in this topic and anyway surely intellectual debate is welcome regardless of the content.

But whatever Danellos YOU'RE the MVP I'm sure you'll bend the rules to suit you either way.
Edited by Nabia on 03/01/2013 14:17 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Rogue
I Like waffles.(#)
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
If people want to discuss the 10- versus 25-man issue, then by all means. Just do it in a different thread.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin

So the newest way to keep people playing is to roll out new factions almost faster than we cant complete/get to exalted with them?

5.2 is just hitting the PTRs (meaning it won't be out for two months or so) and I've already hit Exalted with the newest faction, and I even started doing it a few weeks late because I was feeling lazy.

As for the previous factions; I dinged 90 almost a week after everyone else, did not do dailies daily and even when I did do dailies, I never did all of them.
I took a break from all dailies for about a month or so, and I'm still bloody Exalted with everyone except the Celestials people.

There's more than plenty of time to reach Exalted. More than plenty.
Edited by Jaghut on 03/01/2013 17:16 GMT
Reply Quote
MVP - WoW, StarCraft II
90 Worgen Druid
03/01/2013 14:15Posted by Nabia
Yet you were the initial instigator of this debate; you knowingly shared your controversial views in a thread where they were rather unwarranted. So please save your pseudo-moral justifications for the "decent Humans" which you're clearly not a part of.

No, no not really. You picked apart my view from something that was merely meant to be a supporting sentence to another view. That is called nitpicking by the way.

My intention was not derailment. My only mistake was responding to your derailment, which I will note for future topics I may participate in.

You're only ending the debate now because you realise you're out of any remotely intellectual points to add to your already convoluted argument.

Or maybe because unlike you, my posts are not driven by blind pride and also lack of experience on both sides of the coin, or not knowing people who have experience on both sides of the coin. Yours clearly are, so please stop pretending. And also stop pretending to be capable of making points of higher intelligence, you don't even know me, especially when you'd post something as silly as "Lol you lost that one m8".

But whatever Danellos YOU'RE the MVP I'm sure you'll bend the rules to suit you either way.

I don't bend rules. Where have I or any other MVP done that? Please. That is an absurd statement, with no basis of evidence whatsoever.
Edited by Danellos on 05/01/2013 23:04 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
i dont get this issue with dailys being mandatory and factions for raiding on this yeah i have done valour ect thats because its my main my alt which is 90 hasnt even done the starting quest for golden lotus yet and i been raiding on that too

if ya want to skip dailys its easy ding 90-heroics (get full blue)-LFR-raid

the only thing the valour gear does is speed up ya ilvl progression (which is probably only needed in hardcore guilds) but then again the arguemnt is its not alt friendly having your alt do heroics then LFR/sha once a week isnt that time consuming and by time you need your alt to raid it should be ready without reps ect

Valour gear is just a filler remember when blizzard said before the expansion that they feel they had made a mistake with the valour grinding people had to do they said they wanted the gear to come from mainly going out and earning it from downing boss's

account wide achievments means you dont have to grind rep with all your alts which is what people would moan about most then they make it so you only need to do it once then you moan again rep is not mandatory AT ALL NOT ONE LITTLE BIT for raiding (it gets you there quicker and that is all)

like i said my alt raids and i have done no dailys apart from tillers due to i now have 3 farms to play around with :)
Reply Quote
26 Draenei Priest
@ Danellos

You picked apart my truthful view from something that was merely meant to be a supporting sentence to another truthful view.

Akin to a false prophet you preach your downtrodden view of the truth. You made a blanket statement that 25mans were more difficult than 10s, I retorted with a rather reasonable response, that is, both formats are different and each have pros and cons. Yet you still continue to badger your convoluted idea of the truth merely because you raid 25man -wait for it- normals. As if difficulty in normals matters *hint* it doesn't. They're both a joke.

It rather apparent that you have no intention of rethinking your views and that's perfectly acceptable. You're a free man Danny, believe in whatever milks your goat!

also lack of experience on both sides of the coin.

This comment is rather unwarranted and it shows the shortsightedness of your approach, even if you can see my only level 90 (a hunter btw) via that Cogshank add-on you have no way of knowing of my actual main(s) or if they're even on this account (hint: they're not).

You're barely raiding all the normal modes yet you have the gall to state that I appear to lack experience on this subject matter - irony...

I think someone who understands that both formats have their merits and drawbacks in terms of difficulty and rewards is wiser and more experienced than someone who believes raiding a larger format warrants them false prestige and pretenses.
Edited by Nabia on 03/01/2013 17:45 GMT
Reply Quote
MVP - WoW, StarCraft II
90 Worgen Druid
Now to try to get this thread back on track:

03/01/2013 17:37Posted by Áléxdk
dont get this issue with dailys being mandatory and factions for raiding on this yeah i have done valour ect thats because its my main my alt which is 90 hasnt even done the starting quest for golden lotus yet and i been raiding on that too

Aye, I could take an example from myself. I don't do dailies much at all, and I only have two VP pieces on me:

Wind-Reaver Greaves
Whitepetal Shouldergarb

Doing just fine with mostly gear from raids...
Edited by Danellos on 05/01/2013 17:29 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
In retrospect, this scheme is indeed aimed at keeping the masses happy with sub-par content.

On an unrelated note, it's funny to see Nabia reported and the ol' report button being abused by the more trigger-happy forum goers. No wonder Blizzard's forum moderation is so stretched when we have people who use it as their own get-out card after fails upon fails.
Reply Quote
Forum Moderator
Please try your best to stay on topic and respect the OP interest on the discussion of his notion. These will avoid a locked thread and the need to engage on the same topic on a different one.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
02/01/2013 21:38Posted by Rosaria
So the newest way to keep people playing is to roll out new factions almost faster than we cant complete/get to exalted with them?

Takes like 2-3 weeks to get exalted with Operation Shieldwall. How is that not enough time to get exalted? you could have been exalted long ago and the patch only just went up on the PTR.

Tons of time.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]