Epic and legendary pets

90 Undead Warlock
My question is simple. Are in the game epic and legendary battle pets? If not, when is it possible? Or will be possible?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
epic battle stones were added in the 5.1 game files iirc, they were for 5.1 ptr atleast, and were said then to be introduced in 5.2. so guess time will tell if they show up for 5.2 or not :) legendary pets probably wont ever be added.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Death Knight
Adding epic battle stones is such a horrible idea, all it will do is make pretty much every pet in the game obsolete until you have a stone to upgrade it.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
04/01/2013 17:01Posted by Emo
Adding epic battle stones is such a horrible idea, all it will do is make pretty much every pet in the game obsolete until you have a stone to upgrade it.

Yeah, it's going to really mess things up for a while, though a rare pet can still beat an epic if you play your cards right. People lucky enough to get a stone early would dominate pet battles for a good long while.

The only way I can more or less see this going right is if there are several different ways to upgrade pets to epic quality.

Say, in addition to battle stones, there could be a grindy chain of daily quests, or crafted items that require expensive mats, or whatever. The whole rng thing works well enough for rare battle stones, because there are other ways to aquire rare quality pets if you really want them (catching them in the wild, for instance). But if these stones are also going to be the only way you can get an epic, I foresee trouble.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
If you can catch epic pets as well as upgrade via stone, then i don't see it playing with the balance much.

Remember, it's just a stat boost. A blue pet with a type advantage would beat an epic pet weak against that type. The trainers use epic pets, and all are easily beaten by blues.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Death Knight
If you can catch epic pets as well as upgrade via stone, then i don't see it playing with the balance much.

Remember, it's just a stat boost. A blue pet with a type advantage would beat an epic pet weak against that type. The trainers use epic pets, and all are easily beaten by blues.

Trainers that dont switch or even have any kind of AI. They pretty much just use a preset move rotation. In addition I have to go back and farm for epic pets, ontop of somehow obtaining epic stones to upgrade vendor purchased, online store, CE pets etc. I know Blizzard likes putting in these mandatory grinds (then claiming they are not mandatory) but its really gonna mess up pet battles for a long time.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
As long as everyone has a way to obtain them...
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid

Trainers that dont switch or even have any kind of AI. They pretty much just use a preset move rotation. In addition I have to go back and farm for epic pets, ontop of somehow obtaining epic stones to upgrade vendor purchased, online store, CE pets etc. I know Blizzard likes putting in these mandatory grinds (then claiming they are not mandatory) but its really gonna mess up pet battles for a long time.

Yeah, a PvP match is nothing like fighting those npc trainers.

Besides, some people already have 3/3 pets they caught in the wild, and don't want to release to make room for potential epic wild pets, so just adding purples in the wild wouldn't be enough. There really would have to be multiple (as in, more than two) ways to get epic quality pets, since many people already have an established collection that they'll want to keep using.

Like Emo said, once you introduce purples, people are going to see blues as obsolete. Just like greens are currently considered quite useless by most. Sure, they can still take down a blue, but your best bet is to have higher stats, so a blue is preferred. I can definitely see people aquiring three purples and then feeling as though they are 'stuck' with those three until they upgrade more pets.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Mage
found a legendary battlepet yesterday. couldn't capture. becuz my pets are too low level.
GZ to the one who could.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
found a legendary battlepet yesterday. couldn't capture. becuz my pets are too low level.
GZ to the one who could.

I assume you ran into one of the new legendary pets, that were added in 5.2. Those are NPCs that act like bosses to your battle pets. You can't catch them even if you do bring their HP down low enough.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
Just to add to the point that epic pets would make anything non epic obsolete, not really. As someone already said weakness/strength would also be a major factor, and the player using them. Example the spawn of onyxia I have, was uncommon (green) when I caught it, yet it would regularly take out rare quality of the same pet, just from using the abilities better.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
Just to add to the point that epic pets would make anything non epic obsolete, not really. As someone already said weakness/strength would also be a major factor, and the player using them. Example the spawn of onyxia I have, was uncommon (green) when I caught it, yet it would regularly take out rare quality of the same pet, just from using the abilities better.

The point is merely that a higher quality of the same pet, would generally always be able to do the job 'better'.

Regardless of if your 'uncommon' pet can beat enemy 'rare' pets. Your own pet would always have an easier time if it was 'rare' itself too, simply because a 'rare' pet will always have higher stats than an 'uncommon' pet of the same kind and breed.

When that is said. 'Poor', 'common' or 'uncommon' pets are not directly worthless. They are just not as good as if they were 'rare'.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]