WoW village

So, my question is: Why are villages in WoW so small? I mean, there are (most of the time) 2 Houses, a Church and a Blacksmith, sometimes a Town Hall...
Reply Quote
60 Dwarf Hunter
Because they are really just a representation. Having all the villages, towns etc their *proper* sizes would make them massive ingame.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
roll peon...
...'wot izzit?'....:D
Reply Quote
Economic migration to the cities have left the villages empty and therefore a once bustling village of town has been forsaken. Where there was once more houses and businesses have now been turned into arable land for farming. :)
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Rogue
Row after row of empty buildings would be a waste of time and resources. A couple of buildings suggesting that a "town" is there is more than adequate.
Reply Quote
Community
08/01/2013 00:41Posted by Keg
Because they are really just a representation. Having all the villages, towns etc their *proper* sizes would make them massive ingame.

Pretty much this :-)

Massive in-game towns and cities can become tedious and annoying real fast in MMORPGs because of the increased travel distances they cause... you already spend a lot of time travelling around in WoW (and other games like it), so if everything from small towns to huge continents were redone so that everything has realistic proportion and size, you would need enormous amounts of time just to travel from place to place.

Towns and cities may look really awesome and have the perfect atmosphere if they are of realistic size in games (I personally know this from other MMORPGs I have played(Yes, I enjoyed playing them)), but it is annoying to be in them because you always have a lot of running to do even for the simplest tasks that are supposed to be quick... long runs between vendors, quest NPCs, banks, AHs, and other points of interest.
Edited by Vaneras on 08/01/2013 12:50 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Because the World of Warcraft that you see is just a miniature version of the actual World.

In the real world, you can't fly from Winterspring to Tanaris in less than five minutes.
You couldn't even fly from one end of Winterspring to the other end in that time.

If you could, the war itself would be over by now.
All it would take is ten or so minutes of flying from Orgrimmar to Stormwind and vice versa for a duration of a few days to end the war. But it just so happens that Orgrimmar and Stormwind aren't ten minutes apart from eachother, it probably takes over ten bloody days to fly that long.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
if you just remember the first world of warcraft for peole which didn't bought a epic mount, you always run at 40% and there was very huge distance between countries and town, better the miniature that we have actually.

Also if i prefer for blizzard to restore the old countries and became active again, like silithus and other town... that are forgotten by all of the people...!!!
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
08/01/2013 12:51Posted by Jaghut
In the real world, you can't fly from Winterspring to Tanaris in less than five minutes.

Your real world has Tanaris and Winterspring? I get your meaning really, going from a hot arid desert to a cold snowy region would take a long time in our world, unless you went up a mountain.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
I believe in the WoW early beta, Goldshire was -much- bigger and featured individual houses for each NPC there instead of...what is it, two buildings?
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
the option should be there for players to buy segments of land allow to build a house/shop/farm and build onto various areas of the land.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

Massive in-game towns and cities can become tedious and annoying real fast in MMORPGs because of the increased travel distances they cause... you already spend a lot of time travelling around in WoW (and other games like it), so if everything from small towns to huge continents were redone so that everything has realistic proportion and size, you would need enormous amounts of time just to travel from place to place.

Towns and cities may look really awesome and have the perfect atmosphere if they are of realistic size in games (I personally know this from other MMORPGs I have played(Yes, I enjoyed playing them)), but it is annoying to be in them because you always have a lot of running to do even for the simplest tasks that are supposed to be quick... long runs between vendors, quest NPCs, banks, AHs, and other points of interest.

The stuff posted below is Not to Complain, Rather a Possible Solution:

Yes, However. Why not just increase the speed of travelling? fx: Walking Speed: 50% Slow Mount Speed 100% Mount Speed 150% and Slow Gryphon 310%, Fast Gryphon Speed 420%. More Direct Flight Paths, Flight Path Speed: 420%.
Edited by Chaliniara on 08/01/2013 15:03 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
They could stil be larger than they are now. A village doesn't have to be enormous, but just have a reasonable amount of buildings in it.

Compare Darkshire with Goldshire. All towns should look something like Darkshire.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
Goldshire on Alpha testing did look awesome though:

http://www.iindigo3d.com/wowalpha/9_G.jpg

I do understand how it would get tedious however :)
Edited by Darion on 08/01/2013 16:29 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Goldshire on Alpha testing did look awesome though:

http://www.iindigo3d.com/wowalpha/9_G.jpg

I do understand how it would get tedious however :)

I see the tradition of running around without pants in Goldshire goes way back.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Rogue
you already spend a lot of time travelling around in WoW

We do?.. Considering you can play and level most the game sat from inside your capital city, and if you do decide to go out there is a flightpath for even the smallest of encampments which open automaticly without the need to discover them anymore.
Edited by Freakyuno on 08/01/2013 18:07 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
08/01/2013 18:05Posted by Freakyuno
you already spend a lot of time travelling around in WoW

We do?.. Considering you can play and level most the game sat from inside your capital city, and if you do decide to go out there is a flightpath for even the smallest of encampments which open automaticly without the need to discover them anymore.

I remember running round opening the flight paths and it was awesome. My most memorable times wre running from org all the way down to thousand needles on alts. I know i can still do it now but it has no purpose.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Personally I think cities should be at least twice as big. What Vaneras said is true but they are just too small, so small it takes the fun out of them. When MoP came I was really excited about the new city and when I saw it I thought "Okay it doesn't look like much from outside but it must be huge on the inside" and was disappointed to see how awfully little it was. Then I went to the area north of it and saw that it was just a raid there with the lorewalker faction.
Small cities are okay but not this small.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
They could stil be larger than they are now. A village doesn't have to be enormous, but just have a reasonable amount of buildings in it.

Compare Darkshire with Goldshire. All towns should look something like Darkshire.

I completely understand how making every town and city big would take forever to both create and actually navigate, however, I agree with this. Darkshire feels like a proper town because of the graveyards and fields around the actual buildings. These areas are empty, yet they make the town feel so much bigger.
Reply Quote
08/01/2013 12:49Posted by Vaneras

But surely it could be sorted by having NPC's have mounts you can get from say Point A to Point B, be it a quest or another quest hub and have a quest item to use to travel back to hand in the quest.

I know it could be a problem for low levels but having something like that to help them get about if the game world was made a bit bigger, since more with flying mounts are able to get across an entire continent in a short time anyways.

Added bonus I suppose would be to have more room for more stories such as the 5.1 story we are seeing presently to play out other chapters that may come about without interfering with low level content.

That and few more villages towns. Not saying you're wrong, but do think that in a way there's a possible solution if one day the world may need expanding a bit in size.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]