Vendors with white gear? Why not green?

90 Blood Elf Priest
Why vendors sell white gear and not green with better stats for players who are leveling ? I know some of them do but most of them sell useless white gear ... and whats the point of vendors selling that type of armor/weapons ? At least let new players buy something which will be useful and don't let them spend their money on useless things..

Also with green gear ( which is better than white/grey ) they can somehow survive in low level bgs when they are vs heirloom players.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
very good question.
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
90 Worgen Druid
Well, there's several reasons I would presume. One would be because gear would have to considerably increase, and more items would have to be added every five levels. Plus, it would be far too convinient to just go to a store and completely upgrade your gear when you should in fact be doing quests or dungeons for gear. You will find some great gear through quests, and at the end of a chain you might get a blue item that'll last you maybe 10-15 levels. Same applies to dungeon gear too - there's so many ways. Another reason would be because white gear often looks nice for RP, and I'm starting to stockpile some for Jonní on Argent Dawn RP.

It's far too easy to get gold at lower levels, as your income will be pretty good from questing alone. A single gold piece can buy you a lot of armour, maybe not a great deal, but enough, and you can save up while you quest/dungeoneer. So really, finance shouldn't be a problem if you're a dungeoneer or quester. These aren't the olden days of killing mobs all the time to get to endgame, and where gold is highly limited. ^^
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
They should add vendors selling transition gear between Northrend and Cata zones, since MoP hit hardly anyone sells the level 79+ leveling gear.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
02/01/2013 10:32Posted by Jonní
Plus, it would be far too convinient to just go to a store and completely upgrade your gear when you should in fact be doing quests or dungeons for gear. You will find some great gear through quests, and at the end of a chain you might get a blue item that'll last you maybe 10-15 levels. Same applies to dungeon gear too - there's so many ways. Another reason would be because white gear often looks nice for RP, and I'm starting to stockpile some for Jonní on Argent Dawn RP.

Vendors don't sell all the type of gear. You will still have to get some through quests or dungeons. Also the vendor's gear won't be so good as the dungeon and questing gear . But as a player who is leveling , buying some gear before entering the area it will make you feel stronger and ready. Whereas if you buy the white gear that they are now selling its just a waste of money. Also players will start to like some npc who sell gear instead of going only for repairs :)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
I remember buying the white gear when it actually was an upgrade to your old crappy gray/white gear.
In BC you didn't get green items from quests before the 2nd questing zone if I remember correctly.
Reply Quote
All you need to do is solo some level appropriate dungeons and give your levelling alt any appropriate BoE greens that drop if you're not a first timer. If you are then quest, same result from the quest rewards.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
02/01/2013 11:01Posted by Panamat
All you need to do is solo some level appropriate dungeons and give your levelling alt any appropriate BoE greens that drop if you're not a first timer. If you are then quest, same result from the quest rewards.

So low level gear vendors are useless and must remain useless?
Reply Quote
80 Draenei Warrior
Actually! they should make it like:

Grey: Trash (like now)
White: Quest rewards, uncommon drop, vendor, dungeon bosses other than final (like greens now)
Green: End long chain quest rewards, final dungeon boss drops, LFR loot (similar to blues now)
Blue: normal mode raid bosses.
Epics: hard mode raid bosses.
Legendary: long chain quest including killing final hard mode raid boss in the current tier, doing only-legendary unforgiving instance where you need to play 100% good or you wipe, so you must bring your guildies, 1% drops from raids.

Valor and justice points are only you used to upgrade gear.

Nerf everything to make vendor gear worthwhile!! and not vice versa.

(/sarcasm)

But yeah, I agree with you, white gear is worthless these days.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
02/01/2013 10:34Posted by Rorcanna
They should add vendors selling transition gear between Northrend and Cata zones, since MoP hit hardly anyone sells the level 79+ leveling gear.

+1
Reply Quote
@Ionlykill
I've bought and used white stuff in the past up to level 15 or so but after that between quest rewards and dungeons I've never needed it for any of my alts. Nowadays I've got a range of heirlooms I can give them to get started and level fast.
Edited by Panamat on 02/01/2013 11:44 GMT
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
100 Gnome Mage
02/01/2013 10:43Posted by Ionlykill
Vendors don't sell all the type of gear.

There are actually different vendors who sell cloth, leather, mail, and plate. I like the idea of transition gear between expansions since it could let you change spec easily as well, as long as it's only green gear. But I don't see a reason to sell gear after every zone. The questing gear easily makes you strong enough to be able to enter the next zone without any problems.

02/01/2013 11:07Posted by Ionlykill
So low level gear vendors are useless and must remain useless?

People have already answered that. These white gear vendors are often used for RP means. It's a good and easy way to find gear that matches and it's actually pretty cool!
Reply Quote
75 Worgen Hunter
I too have bought and used white gear too. I have just rolled a new toon (ally) and up to level 11. There are numerous quests around Elwynn that reward white gear early on, and as you progress, it starts to reward green gear with stats. However, as I skipped a couple of quests, I had to fill the missing slots with purchased whites (well, I didn't have to, the game is pretty face-roll down there).

I do not think vendors are there to provide an alternative competitive source of gear - that is what the AH is for. And if they did vendor green gear, players would be buying it and spamming the AH with it as they already do from some vendors with recipes and such.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
02/01/2013 11:49Posted by Borderlîne
I do not think vendors are there to provide an alternative competitive source of gear - that is what the AH is for. And if they did vendor green gear, players would be buying it and spamming the AH with it as they already do from some vendors with recipes and such.

Vendor gear could get soulbound when u purchase it ( bop )
Reply Quote
75 Worgen Hunter

Indeed that would be a solution, but the other part of the equation it would render the AH economy even more valueless for if people find they need to fill a slot with a better piece, they could just buy it from a vendor.

I think the balance here is right. Vendor gear is not meant to be "great" merely "adequate". Better gear is designed to be obtained by game interaction, not by shopping at vendors.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
02/01/2013 12:06Posted by Borderlîne

Indeed that would be a solution, but the other part of the equation it would render the AH economy even more valueless for if people find they need to fill a slot with a better piece, they could just buy it from a vendor.

I think the balance here is right. Vendor gear is not meant to be "great" merely "adequate". Better gear is designed to be obtained by game interaction, not by shopping at vendors.

Yeah but always the AH gear will be much better than the vendor gear. New players don't have that much money tho to afford the gear in AH cause most of the times its expensive :).
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
90 Worgen Druid
02/01/2013 12:11Posted by Ionlykill

Yeah but always the AH gear will be much better than the vendor gear. New players don't have that much money tho to afford the gear in AH cause most of the times its expensive :).

And that brings us full circle. They can quest or do dungeons, and the Auction House is determined by how much gold is currently in the realm, and how worthless said currency is. New players can easily twig that quests offer the best rewards as opposed to vendors within an hour, as they will have sufficient gear from questing. When they next see a vendor, they'll realize that either questing or dungeoneering with provide better statistics and armour rating. They don't need gold or even silver if they're getting enough from questing or dungeoneering, and doing those two will get them sufficient amounts of cash ^^
Reply Quote
75 Worgen Hunter
Well total irony here.

Just ran into Antonio Pirelli - Travelling Salesman in Redridge Mountain. Never seen him before. I just bought Ironwood Maul....
Reply Quote
23 Gnome Warlock
I am sure that Antonio Pirelli paths a circle following the road through Elwynn, Westfall and Duskwood.
There are a few lower level vendors who sell green items and a few who sell herbs
they are not very well equipped but they are certainly useful for the odd item. Its always worth
stopping to browse the items, if your low level.
Edited by Twinkul on 02/01/2013 15:29 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
Vendors for expansion switches would be nice indeed.
Especially BC->Northrend and Northrend->Cat. Especially Northernd->Cat would be nice, as for healers its hard gearing to be able to join Cat instances soonish due to ilvl requirement.

Cat -> Panda, those vendors are already in place, for alliance in the fishmen village and as I didnt came across a horde vendor, there is one @ the border to valley of 4 winds.

I remember buying the white gear when it actually was an upgrade to your old crappy gray/white gear.
In BC you didn't get green items from quests before the 2nd questing zone if I remember correctly.

And this is wrong. TBC q-items are still the same as they are now.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]