How to kill a Monk?

90 Dwarf Hunter
I've read the guide. But I need more details.

I can (almost) beat every other class 1v1 on my Rogue because I know their ability arsenal, as well as when they will use different abilities.

With monks however, as they're new in the game, I need a couple of details on when to use what ability as well as what kind of gap their toolbelt has.

Any help is apprecaited. I've got decent gear on my Rogue (I won't post on him though) but are there any specifics I should know about?

Thanks in advance.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Bring their HP to 0.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
25/01/2013 16:55Posted by Philippe
Bring their HP to 0.

I should probably have mentioned that bringing their HP to 0 is the tricky part.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
You never mentioned specc. WW monk is easy to beat, MW monk is harder.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
25/01/2013 17:49Posted by Zerdas
Bring their HP to 0.

I should probably have mentioned that bringing their HP to 0 is the tricky part.

I was just teasing you but you probably should look for Monk skill set for this question's answer.Also i offer you to level a monk gonestly since you can get insight knowlegde of their class with playing their class.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
25/01/2013 22:07Posted by Philippe

I was just teasing you but you probably should look for Monk skill set for this question's answer.Also i offer you to level a monk gonestly since you can get insight knowlegde of their class with playing their class.

Hehe, alright. I will keep that in mind. I'll also check the Monk class out and perhaps level one up to 50 or so.

Thanks,
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Lol, i lose from every rogue i duel...
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
26/01/2013 14:22Posted by Vainz
Lol, i lose from every rogue i duel...
Sort out your gear a bit and it might help, you have 10 more ilvl's then me yet i have more resilience, pvp power and agility but not by much.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
As soon as monks pop Touch of Karma, try to kite them around. From what I've seen it reflects all the damage you do, back to you. And it's a super short Cooldown.
And then they root. And stun. And disarm. And Touch of Karma again. And Root again. And root again. And throw a stun. And Touch of Karma. And...
Reply Quote
As soon as monks pop Touch of Karma, try to kite them around. From what I've seen it reflects all the damage you do, back to you. And it's a super short Cooldown.
And then they root. And stun. And disarm. And Touch of Karma again. And Root again. And root again. And throw a stun. And Touch of Karma. And...

Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Just assorted things I can think of from a monk's pov:

A monk's primary way of killing you is leg sweep/fists of fury stun, which are both "melee" skills so can be dodged/parried, makes your evasion a really strong defensive cd. Monks have ridiculous self healing(expel harm + chi wave on a 15/8 second cooldown), I don't know if there's anything you can do about that except just do more damage, but don't expect to trickle damage down a monk.

We have a gouge to peel you off while you have cds popped, and every roll/flying kick breaks snares, and we have a ranged root(spinning fire blossom), so you can be easily kited if your burst doesn't score a kill. Touch of karma reflects damage up to our health for 10 seconds, 1.5min cd, so you should obviously avoid doing much damage to the monk during it(there's no need to avoid ANY damage, the reflect portion is fairly weak, it's the shield that's more important)

We have no dots outside Xuen(the white tiger pet), so you can reopen easily.

Monks need to score jab hits to generate chi which powers their actually useful skills, so limiting a monk's uptime on you pretty much kills their damage(the only ranged chi generation is expel harm on a 15s cd).

Touch of death kills through cheat death(need to be under 10% though)

Monks have a warlock-like teleport which would be useful vs rogues due to just one gap closer. The teleport has a short cast, unlike demonic circle.

Don't trinket fists of fury, it applies a stun every second. Fists of fury is also very high damage, and not very easy to avoid due to the monk pvp bonus(increased range). Leg sweep and fists of fury share DR though, so you could get out of fists early if the monk was chaining stuns.

I don't know if chi wave stops bouncing(prevents its healing) if it hits cloak of shadows. You can cloak the spinning fire blossom. Cloaking touch of karma probably only removes the reflected damage, the shield still stays on the monk.

Monks have mostly activated defenses, a good prolonged stun/cc chain should kill a monk unless they can break it somehow.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
Just assorted things I can think of from a monk's pov:

A monk's primary way of killing you is leg sweep/fists of fury stun, which are both "melee" skills so can be dodged/parried, makes your evasion a really strong defensive cd. Monks have ridiculous self healing(expel harm + chi wave on a 15/8 second cooldown), I don't know if there's anything you can do about that except just do more damage, but don't expect to trickle damage down a monk.

We have a gouge to peel you off while you have cds popped, and every roll/flying kick breaks snares, and we have a ranged root(spinning fire blossom), so you can be easily kited if your burst doesn't score a kill. Touch of karma reflects damage up to our health for 10 seconds, 1.5min cd, so you should obviously avoid doing much damage to the monk during it(there's no need to avoid ANY damage, the reflect portion is fairly weak, it's the shield that's more important)

We have no dots outside Xuen(the white tiger pet), so you can reopen easily.

Monks need to score jab hits to generate chi which powers their actually useful skills, so limiting a monk's uptime on you pretty much kills their damage(the only ranged chi generation is expel harm on a 15s cd).

Touch of death kills through cheat death(need to be under 10% though)

Monks have a warlock-like teleport which would be useful vs rogues due to just one gap closer. The teleport has a short cast, unlike demonic circle.

Don't trinket fists of fury, it applies a stun every second. Fists of fury is also very high damage, and not very easy to avoid due to the monk pvp bonus(increased range). Leg sweep and fists of fury share DR though, so you could get out of fists early if the monk was chaining stuns.

I don't know if chi wave stops bouncing(prevents its healing) if it hits cloak of shadows. You can cloak the spinning fire blossom. Cloaking touch of karma probably only removes the reflected damage, the shield still stays on the monk.

Monks have mostly activated defenses, a good prolonged stun/cc chain should kill a monk unless they can break it somehow.

It was something like this I was looking for. Thank you so much.

Btw, I'm unsure when to use my trinket. Should I use it on the leg sweep, the Paralysis?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
30/01/2013 13:22Posted by Zerdas
We have no dots outside Xuen(the white tiger pet), so you can reopen easily

as I recall, a Blackout Kick from behind places a dot, for
30% of the dmg done, no? :3

@Zerdas: this might be a bit vague, but a monk vs rogue duel
is almost the same as a rogue vs rogue, except the monk
doesn't have stealth, then add Touch of Karma in place of
a viable burst cd.

also, many ppl take this for granted, but just like a DK, when silenced, monks
have a variety of spells they won't be able to use, this includes all healing :3
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]