[Request] Introduce a Boss Sound Only Mode

90 Pandaren Monk
Hello,

I'm sure many players (mainly melee) would tend to agree with me here:

Being in melee in a 25man (even 10man) raid totally overloads you with sounds.
Be be it arrows of hunters wizzing by, arcane missiles from mages or even the constant growling and moaning of the other players around me. While this would all help make a cool sound environment it is HIGHLY overloaded.

Why don't you just CTRL+S you may suggest now. But wait, there's more!
I, for one, immensely enjoy the bosses and all their lovingly recorded dialogue and voice snippets they have. Especially the Sha of Fear has done it to me. His voice acting is awesome.
Unfortunately, I rarely get to hear ANY of it with all the sound overload going on which sucks.

It has driven me as far as to go and "mute" specific abilities one by one by placing (I checked, it's not against ToS as I'm not modifying any game files) empty .ogg/.wav files in my WoW installations Data\Sound\ folder to get some quiet.

This has given me some peace and quiet and I can truly enjoy all the bosses have to say and even understand what they say (Acutally, all sounds but the VERY annoying Rogue Ability Shadow Blade ability which i haven't been able to pinpoint to this very day).
It also allows me to record (Fraps) our first heroic kills in a way where the viewer can hear the bosses as well instead of just my mouthbreathing and the general TS yapping going on ;)

But should I really have to be doing this? Vanilla - WotLK had a Sound at Camera mode. That let me only play sounds that were heard at where my camera was. This was for no known reason removed in Cataclysm.

What I'd really like from the Devs is another Option to let me regulate Boss Emotes/Sounds only. We currently have Master Volume, Music, Ambience and Sound Volume. Just add a Boss Volume there so I can just shut the others down and ONLY hear bosses.

I'd love to hear from other people if they feel the same way or if I'm really just the odd one out of the bunch.

Love,

Megafail

P.s: There's an Addon that plays back Sound emotes based upon the Yell messages but that doesn't always work (especially with new encounters or emotes that are not transmitted via text): BossFilter.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
This is a great suggestion. I play mostly melee, raid 5+ days a week, and mostly with sound turned off just because of the complete overload of sounds at melee range. It would be very awesome to be able to hear boss voices etc.
Edited by Crittycat on 29/01/2013 15:45 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
Great suggestion. I have, at times, downloaded one of those folders of empty sound files and removed only my own spec's sounds.

It's not fun or even very atmospheric hearing a cluster of overlapping noise while you're trying to play.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Good to see I'm not the only one that thinks this way!
Now let's see if someone from the higher ups picks up on this!
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Not often I see good threads on this forum, but I support this idea so much.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warrior
I definitely agree! I'm so happy DBM sounds aren't affected by pressing CTRL+S, because most of the time the amount of sound effects going on is just one big incoherent mess so usually play without sound.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I'd love such an option. I mainly play with sounds disabled, because I also think that the sound overload is just too much (and I'm not even in melee range). I just feel that I miss out on some of the epic feeling of a fight when I can't hear the boss emotes (which are often very well done and really add to the dramatic environment of a bossfight).

So yeah, I totally support this idea.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I'm also in support of this. I know there are soundpacks, if that's the right word, that replaces the sounds of spells and such with a file with no sounds in them, achieving the same effect. However, I've never gotten myself to use one out of fear what things it might ruin.

So yeah, I'm just playing the game without sound effects, which is a shame considering the effort that goes into voice acting of the bosses.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I'd love this.

But, can we ban Lei Shi then please?
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I HAVE TO MAKE THE WATER NOT CLOUDY ANYMORE!!!!!
Reply Quote
Community
Megafail,

Cool suggestion, I must say I personally would use that mode if it was available, but I’d still like to have the option to hear the sounds of my own spells and abilities in addition to the boss.

So murloc here is going to keep running and forward this to the devs (and I haven’t even broken a sweat!). We’ll see what their take on this is, maybe this is a particular design decision where they didn’t want for this to happen or maybe it’s a technical limitation of some sort or… if we’re lucky, they might agree with it and one day you might remember this as the Megafail sound option!
Like always, thanks for caring and for helping us improve our game. If there’s any news on the subject I’ll let you know.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I totally agree: great suggestion :) I really hope to see it sooner or later :D
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
I'd love to have this, so sad that voices are connected to all other sound effects ('cept ambient of course). Would love to be able to actually hear some of the awesome voice acting without being deafened by the sound of the fight going on.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Great suggestion, this would be great.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
Hm,someone's hate over shadowblades has finally reached its pinnacle.Gj ruga you make us all so proud,you even got a blue to comply :P.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
As a fellow melee I have to agree and this is something I'd love to see and use

31/01/2013 15:36Posted by Taepsilum
if we’re lucky, they might agree with it and one day you might remember this as the Megafail sound option!

Can we please not call it the Megafail sound option though? People might get the wrong idea! :)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
As a fellow melee I have to agree and this is something I'd love to see and use

if we’re lucky, they might agree with it and one day you might remember this as the Megafail sound option!

Can we please not call it the Megafail sound option though? People might get the wrong idea! :)

Hey now :( It'd be a fabulous name!

@Taepsilum: Thank you very much!
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Really? NOW it gets a blue post reply? After I've asked for this since The Burning Crusade on several occasions?

For those that gave up waiting for blizzard to react, there's Mute Annoying WoW Sounds!

http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info19827-MuteAnnoyingWoWSounds.html

Follow those instructions and you will be close to getting what you desire! Sadly there's no turn on/off botton, but at least you won't have to wait another 5-6 years before they finally introduce it (if they are going to at all)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Totally agree, I'd also love such option. I have aswell tried one of these mute unwanted sounds packs, but got rid of it fast because as others have mentioned they're not perfect and who knows what kind of issues they might cause.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
31/01/2013 17:05Posted by Mahogany
Really? NOW it gets a blue post reply? After I've asked for this since The Burning Crusade on several occasions?

No you haven't.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]