IS this what this once great game has come to.

8 Orc Shaman
Look at this, maybe take time to read it, http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7864486403 perhaps you even think 'Hey thats not me I do not react that way'.

However, anyone reading this website will get a very negative view of the game most of you profess to love.

This could be a repost I have no idea as the search fuction on this website is one of the worst I have come across in 12 years on the internet.

So any one of us could be the warrior chap, Take a look into the battleground arena or raid forums you will find them overflowing with theads about how the game is full of noobs or as they like to call them, scrubs (How nice that word is and its now being used by Blizz themselves, wonderful eh).

It makes interesting reading I wonder if it will change anyone perception of those they see as not good players? I doubt it but you never know.

Anyway make of it what you will but its a damn shame this game is going that way.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
i think this is a part of survival of the fitest or so they are to believe despite it being vritual lifestyle where the true colours of people often come at the most crapy moments i dislike those people and refuse to even talk whit them but i am not the kinda of person that shoves everybody aside prety much why i solol nearly everything because i know the grass aint greener and that smile on ur neighbours face is gona kill u someday *figure of speech* and considering all my friends quit this game hardly playing anymore i'm just burned out by all these factors
Reply Quote
Interesting (and touching) read.

However, this is a side effect of the 'teetering to the edges' direction MMORPG"s have taken (and hopefully will go away from once the sandparks hit)

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/08/14/the-soapbox-the-demise-of-the-core-gamer/

With the levelling part trivialized so much, people learn little to nothing, even bare essentials, till they hit cap - and then they're supposed to operate in Raids that lack a good progression model (either aimed at newcomers, causing wailing and gnashing of teeth from Add-On laden veterans, or it's aimed at veterans, and newcomers get overwhelmed).

Add to this the Gear Treadmill with its resets (limiting the time people can take to overcome the obstacles they face) and of course the blatant catering to the 'hardcore' as if they're gods, and you create a stressed environment dominated by delusional people.
Reply Quote
- CS
98 Draenei Priest
Thank you for that link it was such a sad read and I could so empathise with the warrior - it *is* harder for someone older (particularly one who's new to online games) to understand how to play, how to approach new experiences and how to keep up with experienced self-styled 'elite' players.

I know that the Korean mentality is probably different to ours but it's so depressing that the warrior felt he had to make a thread to apologise for being a bad player and say 'thank you' for every little bit of advice. His guild obviously couldn't be bothered to help him and the original poster's guild rejected him. It's a game. A player shouldn't feel like that but, believe me, they do even on the EU realms.

The problem is that the majority of general forum readers will probably agree ... it's the huge number of people playing the game who never look at a forum who act like that. They bully, they call names and they end up making players feel worthless and all fun has gone.

If something good comes out of it that would be great - I particularly like the idea of mentor raids but changing the mentality of so many of the current player base may not be possible.
Reply Quote
60 Gnome Warrior
This is the reason, I really wish Blizzard and any other company, who's running an online community would take an alot harsher stance for Cyber bullying. Even contact the local police at the bullies more often.
Edited by Kaíth on 08/02/2013 19:01 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Wow. Quite a touching story.

Makes you reflect about how you act in the game, at least I know I did.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Death Knight
Well, that was a great read, everyone needs to read this, regardless of WoW experience.

I can't imagine the elitist-ness is anywhere near as bad over here in Europe, but everyone can learn from this!
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
100 Night Elf Monk
08/02/2013 18:18Posted by Ananda
I know that the Korean mentality is probably different to ours but it's so depressing that the warrior felt he had to make a thread to apologise for being a bad player and say 'thank you' for every little bit of advice.

From what I've read from a Spanish blogger/journalist that has been living in Japan for a few years it's pretty common in some parts of Asia to apologise profusely for errors. At least in work environments/older people.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
I know you do not want to see me around, so I just hide myself around mountains or corners of big cities...

:*(
Reply Quote
Cant believe I read the whole of that linked post, usually I go straight to end to get jist of it.

In the end though it seems that the outcome has been good, with the "mentor raids" and so on. Which is a good thing, isnt that kinda thing suppose to be done by these ear-marked guilds on servers called something like "mentor guild" / "newbie friendly" guilds that blizz made.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman
Wow.. it was indeed a touching story..
Reply Quote
MVP - WoW, StarCraft II
90 Worgen Druid
Really awesome!
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Worgen Druid
Fantastic read, really pulled at my heartstrings. I had a similar experience as a Restoration Healer two years back - didn't help that WoW was my first MMO, and Eldarich was my first character. As I levelled I couldn't perform in dungeons because nobody bothered to help me out despite my pleas. And it doesn't help when I've got aspergers' and can remember so much. It was traumatizing, and I never healed again.

So yes, I know exactly how this poor young man feels. While I wasn't known across the server for my poor performance, it must be horrible to be hated by everyone on the realm. Literally hundreds or even thousands of people giving flak because one wants to have fun, just like you, and be the very best.

I'd hate to think that the game is already like this, and when I first joined, it was. Nobody could tolerate my performance, but with time and effort I learnt. And now? I'm far more confident.

+1 Likey. I'd vote up the original thread if not for being disallowed on the US Forums. Unfortunately there will be no fun left at one point - there'll only be the best of the best. And what, pray tell, will that achieve?
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter
This kind of harsh attitude is in all walks of life. People love to judge each others worth based on warped senses of good and bad.

Real life situations are easier to control and don't usually get out of hand, but the internet makes it possible for people to forget/ignore peoples feelings/problems.

As people have mentioned it is survival of the fittest, but how warped is out sense of worth when a players performance within the confines of a game, ie fighting pixels and learning to out perform each other in PVP or PVE or first person shooter games, is valued more than the ability to take someone by the hand and take the time to help them improve.

The ability to pass on information is one of the reasons the human race became the top of the food chain. If information was never shared or put in books etc we wouldn't have progressed as fast as we have.

If a games player base never takes the time to help new people catch up to them game companies have no choice but to make long standing games easier.
Edited by Grusum on 09/02/2013 07:45 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
OP it is know fact that Korea/Asia is more into F2P with micro transfer then sub game like WoW is so ofc game like League of Legends will be more popular anyone that have been around for while and play other mmo/mmorpg know this so this nothing new why do think more and more mmo/mmorpg goes F2P it is just for fact for Asia mmo market is one of big untapped market if want make sure you will make in Asia market you need have F2P version more or less why do thing SC and SC2 is so big in Asia for it is no month pay on it.
Reply Quote
Yeah, thats an interesting posting. I really hope that social darwinism would be banished from gaming communities.
Edited by Nessaya on 09/02/2013 10:32 GMT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
Both depressing and touching to read all that post. That poor guy - to have people shun him left, right and centre with nobody willing to help, despite being a big enough person to ask and recognise he has issues with some elements of gameplay :(

My first healing attempts in a dungeon after only a couple of weeks of playing WoW were met with such nastyness and bile I refused to pug dungeons for the majority of my time I have been playing, and it's only recently with good friends I will risk the odd pug.

08/02/2013 18:18Posted by Ananda
I could so empathise with the warrior - it *is* harder for someone older (particularly one who's new to online games) to understand how to play, how to approach new experiences and how to keep up with experienced self-styled 'elite' players.

Agree, completely. my other half (feral bear) was threatened and harassed by "experts" at the beginning of a LFR the other week for being accused of having expertise on his gear before he had even pulled the first trash mob pack. Luckily he survived the votekick and went on to not only successfully tank alongside the second tank with no wipes and only a handful of casualties, but also 3rd highest dps. But the attitude of these elitists trying to kick him without even seeing him play disgusted me and (clearly others in the group as they refused to kick and give him a chance.) I should imagine coming into contact with these kinds of people constantly with little reprieve for the Korean fella could be utterly miserable for him, and to be honest, if it was me, I probably would have quit the game long before he did, with nobody willing to help.

09/02/2013 07:43Posted by Grusum
how warped is out sense of worth when a players performance within the confines of a game, ie fighting pixels and learning to out perform each other in PVP or PVE or first person shooter games, is valued more than the ability to take someone by the hand and take the time to help them improve.

QFT.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Asians are far more hardcore and competitive. There is also the class system to consider which is part of their culture, you either fit in or you don't. If you don't fit in, nobody wants you and nobody will do anything to help you.

I laugh when posts here say that it doesn't happen on EU servers, that is just total BS. Casual players are often cast out to play solo and consequently, get no help from the more seasoned players. When you post a question on the forums, too often, you get responses from brainless cretins calling you names and making fun of you for not knowing. We were all newbies once and just because you know more about the game because you've played longer, doesn't make you a better player nor give you the right to poke fun at new players. You may have more knowledge about the game and the mechanics but that's as far as it goes. I know a hell of a lot about woodwork but I can't handsaw in a straight line to save my life.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]