[Suggestion] Bring Back the Night! (continued.)

90 Tauren Shaman
This is how it could look:

http://imageshack.us/a/img687/7749/ztzwv.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img341/7318/zswna.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img43/1212/a33ga.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img443/7495/8ob5e.jpg

GIEF!!!!

YEs yes yes yes pls pls pls dop it like this :D
Btw one idea concerning doing questing in darkness: all items, mobs, flowers and everything else could glow a little in the darkness, like they twinkle now in light environment. Btw guys just imagine, that a torch that u carry, let it be the torch that you dont have to equip, but a torch that u kinda have enabled and it glows around you, so that torch wouldnt be solidly stable, but it would react to your moves. Just imagine how shadows would play around you when you fight or move or dance in the night :) :D
OMG that would be awesum!!!
90 Undead Warlock
God, how I miss the old dark night, would have been really nice to get them back. // A night owl :D
90 Human Death Knight
Hope, they will get back soon.
I've tryed to ask to GhostCrawler, on Tw but i do not receive any response.
90 Human Mage
Although questing in the old dark night used to scare me a bit, I really do miss how it actually looked more like night, and how pretty some zones looked with the old night sky! I hope they bring it back too.
90 Pandaren Monk
09/02/2013 12:34Posted by Dotdotkaboom
Soem people can ONLY play at night, and these people DONT want to see their game ONLY in darkness... get over it, it WONT come back.

That would indeed be a problem.
90 Night Elf Druid
14/02/2013 12:38Posted by Máz
Soem people can ONLY play at night, and these people DONT want to see their game ONLY in darkness... get over it, it WONT come back.

It wouldn't be a problem if you could toggle it from the settings.

Also, have an 8 hour cycle of night and day instead of a 12 hour one. In effect, that would mean one session playing in darkness and one in daylight. The time and length of the day in Azeroth doesn't have to correspond to the time of day IRL.
90 Troll Druid
14/02/2013 12:38Posted by Máz

A problem that has been addressed several times in pretty much all threads. Options.

It wouldn't be hard considering there used to be an option to turn off the weather effects.
So, in the original thread we mentioned we'd make sure the devs knew that many players out there (not just here in EU, but also on US forums) want to have darker nights in WoW...

While there's nothing to announce, what we can tell you is that they'd like to see a depper day/night cycle brough back into the game.

Some of you have speculated about why nights were made brighter and we just wanted to let you know the change was purely an art decision.

If it does come back at some point in the future, it wouldn't be as dark as some of you have suggested through screenshots (pitch black, or very close to pitch black) because it's very important to see mobs in dark environments, though.
70 Orc Death Knight
+1 for Darker, more realistic nights.

And while we're at it, can we have our old weather back too?
When it used to rain, it actually rained.

90 Undead Rogue
yes ganking in the dark!
90 Blood Elf Paladin
As a roleplayer I would absolutely love if they brought back the darker nights again.

Something else i'd love though, and maybe something to ponder on; WoW seasons.
90 Human Priest
So, in the original thread we mentioned we'd make sure the devs knew that many players out there (not just here in EU, but also on US forums) want to have darker nights in WoW...

While there's nothing to announce, what we can tell you is that they'd like to see a depper day/night cycle brough back into the game.

Some of you have speculated about why nights were made brighter and we just wanted to let you know the change was purely an art decision.

If it does come back at some point in the future, it wouldn't be as dark as some of you have suggested through screenshots (pitch black, or very close to pitch black) because it's very important to see mobs in dark environments, though.

I'll give more use for my lantern on my RP char!
Edited by Evopriest on 14/02/2013 17:16 GMT
90 Orc Mage
14/02/2013 16:44Posted by Draztal

I think that would be a mistake. Back in 2004/2005 when I played Alliance (before the night-light change), one of the areas I looked forward to the most, was Darkwood at night. Questing there, avoiding prowling Worgen or Undead was just an amazing experience. I always played with the Monster Bars disabled in that area at nighttime, because it gave a much more eerie feeling, that fit very well into the lore of the aera.
- World of Warcraft
90 Night Elf Monk
14/02/2013 17:39Posted by Zhazzrah
I think that would be a mistake. Back in 2004/2005 when I played Alliance (before the night-light change), one of the areas I looked forward to the most, was Darkwood at night. Questing there, avoiding prowling Worgen or Undead was just an amazing experience. I always played with the Monster Bars disabled in that area at nighttime, because it gave a much more eerie feeling, that fit very well into the lore of the aera.

It's never been the pitchblack darkness that some people have shown in screenshots that were modified somehow though. That much darkness would make it pretty impossible to do anything (unless something external was introduced) or see the scenery. Not sure if a slider would be an option at all.
90 Troll Druid

Isn't it possible to let players decide for themself in graphics options how dark they want their nights to be? Seems like a good solution to me so everyone can play how they want.
90 Gnome Warlock
Not wanting to be the only 'hater': I remember Night time in wow. And I also remember how I wish it'd be gone, cause honestly, it's all I, and many players, would see, since we log in in the evenings and log off in the night.

If it's optional ("disable night time", something many games should have but haven't (rollercoaster tycoon 3, I'm looking at you), then sure. If it's not real-time (days take 2 hours, night takes 2 hours, etc), then sure. However, if it's not only unavoidable but also real-time, I'm gonna have to say: no thanks.

Edit: On the other hand, I'm all for actual seasons, but realize the amount of work that'd go into them. :)
Edited by Séc on 14/02/2013 18:13 GMT
90 Night Elf Warrior

This has me a bit worried. If it really is as they say, and that the change was purely an art decision, then I question the judgement of whoever made the decision and that it was approved without asking the community. Can anyone look at the screenshots linked below and honestly say the new lighting looks better? I'm actually stunned - I was half convinced the change was a bug, not an intended change.

http://imageshack.us/a/img811/7974/redridgecomparison.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img826/1856/stormwindcomparison.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img255/7386/lakeshirecomparison.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img405/7190/lakeeverstillcomparison.jpg

Make it an option please. As somebody else wrote - walking in a dark forest wary of monsters jumping at you from the dark would be an awesome way to play the game. Not for everyone, I get that, but please consider making it an option. Leave the choice to the players!
90 Human Paladin
14/02/2013 17:39Posted by Zhazzrah

As Nyshae mentioned, I don't think they are saying it wouldn't be as dark as it used to be. I don't think making it as dark as some people have shown in screenshots would be a good idea. Would probably annoy people once they got over the "wow" feeling. But it might be fun to have such an option. "[x] Realistic darkness" (disabled by default!)
90 Night Elf Warrior
14/02/2013 18:11Posted by Séc
Not wanting to be the only 'hater': I remember Night time in wow. And I also remember how I wish it'd be gone, cause honestly, it's all I, and many players, would see, since we log in in the evenings and log off in the night.

Skimming through the original thread and this one I've found four or five posters NOT wanting the nights back, so judging by that I'd say you're in minority. That said I think it is important your perspective is heeded, which is why I'm pushing for making it an option.

I think breaking the 24-hour cycle mirroring RL would be a mistake, we're so used to it after all these years that changing it would feel alien and wrong. Also, a four hour cycle would be stressful I think. Walking into a raid at morning and coming out at midnight - after just two hours - would feel artificial, it would break immersion. Better make the darker cycle an option and keep it at 24 hours.

I'd absolutely LOVE seasons. Imagine stormy autumns with leaves blowing from the trees, blizzards covering Elwynn in snow or spring flowers bringing more colour to the landscape. It would be awesome - but I can't even begin to imagine the amount of work it would require...
90 Human Priest
What i would really like to see is

1.) An on-off option and if on, a slider, to make everyone decide how dark the game would be.

2.) Ways to brighten up the game with ingame-tools: A torch out of combat (that will be dropped when you get in combat and lighten up 10-15y around the torch until you get out of combat again), light-spells with a floating light-orb over your head or cast somewhere (the same way as Angelic Feathers); customable with a minor glyph for all classes for example.

3.) More laterns on the streets to brighten up the ways even at night; and maybe some NPC that will activate the laterns or ways to activate them ourself: this already works in dalaran, so why not elsewhere?

This would be really immersive; and yes this would be maybe even more interresting than some daily quests more XD

I'd absolutely LOVE seasons. Imagine stormy autumns with leaves blowing from the trees, blizzards covering Elwynn in snow or spring flowers bringing more colour to the landscape. It would be awesome - but I can't even begin to imagine the amount of work it would require...

Sadly this would be the biggest problem: time and work; but yes, this would be perfect!

I would really like to see a poll on this: immersion vs. new daily-quest-hub and items; what would win?
Edited by Sankras on 14/02/2013 18:37 GMT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]