In 5.2, is Blizzard moving away from rep grind?

90 Human Paladin
I hate doing dailies, especially having several characters.

Is the "Represent Faction" feature added to avoid tedious daily quests grind ?
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
90 Gnome Mage
It looks like it's going to help but remember it only works once a day. If I was going to level up one reputation, I'd get Tillers up.

Players that have grown attached to working the land at Sunsong Ranch can now purchase the land from Farmer Yoon. Once the farm is owned by a player, it becomes a rest point like an Inn, where the player can bind and instantly log out. Work orders will pour into the farm from factions across Pandaria, and completing a work order will earn a reputation boost with the issuing faction.

From the patch notes. So it looks like growing crops on your farm after you own it will give you some reputation as well from different factions. Granted we don't know how much and who will be included in the group of buyers but it will be something extra.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
If you ever want the 10k dailies achievement, then grind grind grind is the only way.

However the smart move would ofc be to do the Firelands dailies and the ones from Argent Tournament instead, after you get exalted with the MoP factions, as they take a fraction of hte time.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
If you ever want the 10k dailies achievement, then grind grind grind is the only way.

However the smart move would ofc be to do the Firelands dailies and the ones from Argent Tournament instead, after you get exalted with the MoP factions, as they take a fraction of hte time.

I don't care about 10k dailies achievement, I need the MOP dailies for the faction rewards.
Reply Quote

Patch 5.2 will have two new factions. The Shado-Pan Assault (for which you gain rep inside the Throne of Thunder raid instance), and the Kirin Tor Offensive (Alliance) / Sunreaver Onslaught (Horde) for which you gain rep through daily quests.

It's important to note that Valor points items are only available on the Shado-Pan Assault, so you don't need to do the dailies if you only want a source to spend your VP.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Rogue

Patch 5.2 will have two new factions. The Shado-Pan Assault (for which you gain rep inside the Throne of Thunder raid instance), and the Kirin Tor Offensive (Alliance) / Sunreaver Onslaught (Horde) for which you gain rep through daily quests.

It's important to note that Valor points items are only available on the Shado-Pan Assault, so you don't need to do the dailies if you only want a source to spend your VP.

does this mean that the rep rewards from Kirin Tor/Sunreavers are purchased with another currency?
Reply Quote

does this mean that the rep rewards from Kirin Tor/Sunreavers are purchased with another currency?

You'll be able to buy them with gold. Keep in mind that those items are level 476 (except for the Exalted rings, which are 496 and cost Valor Points.). However, if you get to exalted, you'll also be able to acquire a sweet, sweet dino mount. A primal direhorn.

Additionally, you'll also be able to earn the Grand Commendation for that faction at Revered, as is the case with the existing 5.0/5.1 factions.
Edited by Draztal on 20/02/2013 08:19 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight

I don't care about 10k dailies achievement, I *want* the MOP dailies for the faction rewards.

*want* in exchange for 'need'
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Rogue
19/02/2013 15:04Posted by Draztal
Additionally, you'll also be able to earn the Grand Commendation for that faction at Revered, as is the case with the existing 5.0/5.1 factions.

will the raid faction also have a grand commendation?
Reply Quote
3 Dwarf Warrior
I've got a question too. Will rep from "tabard" in 5.2 be affected by grand commendations? I know, it have to, cuz commendation states, that any rep is increased by 100%, but knowing Blizzard...everything can be expected. I mean, I don't want to do dailies at all, cuz I hate it, but I don't want to do scenarios every day too, cuz it's too boring for me and 750 rep is not enough - 1500 would be just fine. One more commendation - and I'll be 100% ready for 5.2.If I'll have to do dailies in 5.2 again... Huh... I'll better quit. I've already unsubbed and my sub will expire somewhere at the end of the month. Should I give 5.2 a chance?
Reply Quote

will the raid faction also have a grand commendation?

Although there is mistakenly one on the current PTR patch, there won't be a Grand Commendation for the Shado-Pan Assault.

Will rep from "tabard" in 5.2 be affected by grand commendations?

Yes, it will.
Edited by Draztal on 20/02/2013 08:21 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Rogue

You'll be able to buy them with gold. Keep in mind that those items are level 476 (except for the Exalted rings, which are 496). However, if you get to exalted, you'll also be able to acquire a sweet, sweet dino mount. A [url="http://ptr.wowhead.com/item=95564#screenshots:id=350120"]primal direhorn[/url].

I know that datamined content shouldn't be taken official (then again, you are linking to a datamining site), but the latest PTR build revealed some datamined 496 blue cloaks requiring revered with the daily rep. is this a datamining error or are these intended to be 496?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Corneel,

Id seen this also on mmo champion PTR - Build 16597 notes.

Revered, purchased with Gold and blue 496
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Then a question from someone who's not read up on everything coming in 5.2 - now if there's only one faction where you can spend VP, and no item upgrades, it feels like we'll run out of things to actually spend VP on sooner than ever before?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
we could have the VP to CP and CP to VP ...
Reply Quote

Will rep from "tabard" in 5.2 be affected by grand commendations?

Yes to this, as well :)

Personally, I think that this is taking simplification to an absurd level. I can understand if players don't want to do three weeks long dailys just to get the items they want, but getting to exalted with a faction should actually feel like you have really invested time for that faction. Dominance exalted already felt like a joke, being actually easier to achieve than revered (because double rep gain (21k/2<11k) and a lot more reputation through the (great) story quests). Now getting 2k per day only through tabard and I guess at least another 1k (probably more) through dailys will speed this up even faster.
Does look a little weird considering you should be the champion of that faction, considering that short amount of time you actually spend with them (potentially (except charms) never visiting them again).
A little sad, considering how proud you could be after the classic argent dawn grind (yes I know, too hardcore for this game nowadays).
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk

Would you please stop locking VP items behind rep, its a silly idea.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock

Would you please stop locking VP items behind rep, its a silly idea.

That's how it's to be. Blizz have said they're testing a new progression model and as such to get gear you need rep and valor points to progress.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior

Yes to this, as well :)

Personally, I think that this is taking simplification to an absurd level. I can understand if players don't want to do three weeks long dailys just to get the items they want, but getting to exalted with a faction should actually feel like you have really invested time for that faction.
[...]
Does look a little weird considering you should be the champion of that faction, considering that short amount of time you actually spend with them (potentially (except charms) never visiting them again).
A little sad, considering how proud you could be after the classic argent dawn grind (yes I know, too hardcore for this game nowadays).

I agree with most of this.

Firstly my opinion on Dailies is that they suck. I hate repeating myself and problem is doing the same thing over and over again and I don't equate effort to grinding rep. Effort to me = climbing a mountain or something so I think the old view of 'make everything a grind' to be a bit outdated and misguided as it's just whomever has the most free time wins.

However, as the quote from Anduryondon states there is very little, if at all, reason to re-visit these factions. There is also exactly zero feeling you get that you are a champion or even a representative of that faction.
Okay so I have a faction tabard. Does that get me anywhere? No not really. Do I get invited to special parties? Does the faction ever call me again?
After you get exalted, the story dies and...that's it. You've saved the Golden Lotus from the Mogu (or whatever it was I was doing)! Horray! But...you go back and the Mogu you "killed" are all still there.
-_-

My point is this - There is no connection between the character and the faction.

Think about it; Why does everybody love the Tillers? Why is it there first port of call and why do they come back to it on multiple alts?
Because it's dynamic!
You get a farm, things change, there's lots of "friends" to make, there's a great vibe to Halfhill Market and there's a lot of variety to it. Halfhill Market = A+

Less so, but also the Dominance and Alliance (blanked on the name...oh dear) offensives in Karasang Wilds you get the chance to fight for landmarks, there's some decent NPCs and you can fight against the Horde/Alliance and have a little bit more of that 'epic' feeling.

For the Golden Lotus (And Shadow Pan, etc), a group of pandas in a pagoda does not cut it for me. Frankly I wouldn't bat an eyelid if the the Mogu came and slaughtered them all. Which they nearly did at the end there.

The only time factions like the Golden Lotus get good is that one quest after you've gotten exalted. I wish it was more than one quest. You grind, get exhausted and go bish bash bosh and that's that. Why revisit them ever again?

I think the way forward is definitely having factions like the Tillers. Something you can keep coming back to.

As my Orcish Warrior friend states there's no pride in getting to exalted these days. But with the Tillers you can keep getting rewarded as you come back to them and you can at least obtain a certain amount of personal pride with regards to your farm.

For me at least it would certainly help me enjoy dailies a lot more, I tend to get bored, do one or two days and then lose interest. But with the Tillers I stuck at it every day.
I think moving away from the rep grind is the way forward.
I think moving towards Tiller-like factions (please don't just copy and paste the tillers) is even more the way forward.

So yes there'd still be a grind, but it'd be fun and have a uniqueness to it. With that in mind, I have some ideas;

Some kind of Shadow-Pan training ground? (I like the quests where you battle a master)

A Klaxxi type Bralwers arena? (They seem like the kind of F@!% Heads that would enjoy watching a puny night elf take on all manner of beasts)

Why don't the Anglers have a Salmon Farm? Are they concerned about trawlers? Why doesn't HalfHill get a Fish Stand? (I'm a big fan of integrating real life into video games, maybe there could be a Tiger Steak scandal where the meat was actually Riverblade Lizards?)

Since the Golden Lotus is 'investigating' why not have them be more similar to the lorewalkers (whom were excellent by the way)? And you can keep collecting clues and knowledge?

Similar to the Tillers, maybe there could be a construction type faction tied into the Offensives in The Wilds? You build up a small workshop and make catapults for King Wrynn?

Why aren't I part of the Blizzard design/thinking team?! :D
Edited by Butterskotch on 19/02/2013 23:49 GMT
Reply Quote
I've updated my previous posts as part of the information I posted wasn't completely accurate:

There won't be a Grand Commendation for the Shado-Pan Assault (that is the raid faction) on Patch 5.2, although there's currently one available on the PTR, which is a mistake.

Also, please note that the item level 496 rings from the Kirin Tor Offensive / Sunreavers Onslaught do cost Valor Points (only level 476 items cost gold).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]