New resilience formula in 5.2?

(Locked)

90 Gnome Rogue
As I have the European timezone I cannot confirm if the following is true on 5.2 live, but on the PTR the value for Resilience are different. Might be only a tooltip error.

Screenshot from live: http://www.abload.de/img/live9lsgt.jpg

Screenshot from 5.2 PTR: http://www.abload.de/img/ptr9ks2m.jpg

1.) Can anyone confirm the change on 5.2 live?

2.) Does anyone know the new formula?
Community
We have indeed made a change to the formula for resilience. Currently in patch 5.1 resilience scales exponentially, in patch 5.2 it will scale linearly. What this means is that at higher ratings of resilience you will see little to no change in damage reduction, but at lower ratings it will go up :)

What we did was take the best geared players and made sure that their resilience did not change, from there we scaled down linearly. We made sure that nobody would lose any damage reduction, but those who are undergeared will gain some to help with their survivability. So while current gear will not be affected, this new formula does mean that the theoretical max of resilience has decreased slightly. By this I mean that when you reach full Tyrannical gear you will have a little bit less damage reduction than if this change was not implemented.
Edited by Nakatoir on 05/03/2013 17:40 GMT
90 Undead Death Knight
Who other than Hildegard to notice something like this. Thanks for enlightening us!
70 Pandaren Mage
whats about low lvl?

chars on lvl 70 can get a maximum of 88% resilence.
05/03/2013 17:11Posted by Hazzahx
Who other than Hildegard to notice something like this. Thanks for enlightening us!

Like everyone on the ptr noticed that you can't really get more than 66% resilence which is pretty lame.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
05/03/2013 17:08Posted by Nakatoir
We have indeed made a change to the formula for resilience.

other secrets? c'mon we all know there's others! just share them plz
90 Gnome Rogue
Still working on retrieving the formula, but it's definitely possible to still reach values of 68%+

With full 493 PTR gear, blacksmithing sockets, full resilience gems, S12 T2 with 2/2 upgrades) I have 10680 Resilience Rating, which equals 68,60% reduction compared to the 69,27% it gave in 5.1. Still hoping the AJ crowd gets the new formula fast.
90 Human Warlock
Why would they reduce the amount of resil you have at lvl 90, when the dmg in PvP is already too high.....
90 Dwarf Warlock
My only concern is will pvp power now prevail after a certain ress brakepoint and bring the game back to overly bursty gameplay
05/03/2013 17:35Posted by Xezbeth
My only concern is will pvp power now prevail after a certain ress brakepoint and bring the game back to overly bursty gameplay

I haven't personally been on the PTR but from what my brother told me pvp power seems to scale better in 5.2 than in 5.1.
48 Blood Elf Hunter
I've been asking about this for 2 months on these forums, on the PTR forums, on twitter, on MMO and no response, nothing.

It's so frustrating that you ignore stuff like this that has a huge impact on the game for this long and only mention it when a "known" person comes forward.

Not impressed.
Community
05/03/2013 17:32Posted by Drakedog
Why would they reduce the amount of resil you have at lvl 90, when the dmg in PvP is already too high.....
We have not reduced the amount of obtainable resilience, we have simply changed the formula for how the amount damage reduction from resilience is determined. Players in their top end gear right now should see almost no change in their damage reduction, but those with lower levels of resilience should see more.

The only time you should start seeing less damage reduction from resilience is when you start using the Tyrannical gear in patch 5.2.
I explained it in my last post here:
05/03/2013 17:08Posted by Nakatoir
So while current gear will not be affected, this new formula does mean that the theoretical max of resilience has decreased slightly. By this I mean that when you reach full Tyrannical gear you will have a little bit less damage reduction than if this change was not implemented.

05/03/2013 17:40Posted by Akarina
It's so frustrating that you ignore stuff like this that has a huge impact on the game for this long and only mention it when a "known" person comes forward.
I am sorry about that, but the person asking the question does not determine if an answer will be given or not. I was not able to respond to your post as unfortunately at that point in time I did not have the necessary information to reply with an answer.
48 Blood Elf Hunter
05/03/2013 17:44Posted by Nakatoir
I am sorry about that, but the person asking the question does not determine if an answer will be given or not. I was not able to respond to your post as unfortunately at that point in time I did not have the necessary information to reply with an answer.

If I could ascertain the information, then Blizzard was aware in some capacity. Just because you didn't know, doesn't mean others didn't.

Don't like being fobbed off, not impressed with lack of communication and more "stealth" changes. It's not good for an already fragile relationship to withhold things like this.
Edited by Akarina on 05/03/2013 17:48 GMT
81 Orc Hunter
It's pretty obvious that damage is too high in this game when you can get globaled at 65% resilience.

Make resilience extend to crit again and burst will be toned down in PvP.
90 Undead Monk
Posted by Drakedog

05/03/2013 17:44Posted by Nakatoir
We have not reduced the amount of obtainable resilience, we have simply changed the formula for how the amount damage reduction from resilience is determined. Players in their top end gear right now should see almost no change in their damage reduction, but those with lower levels of resilience should see more.

Cmon Nakatoir I know you can do better...

Ofc damage is increasing with this change. In the new season we will wear the new sets. While PvP power and secondary stats are increasing resilience wont. Players are actually stacking resilience too which will become less efficent.

Whats happening is that there will be even more damage in PvP than there is today and its obvious that ALOT of players dont like it (I dont say community because I know you dont want to hear it)
Edited by Saroh on 05/03/2013 17:52 GMT
6 Dwarf Priest

The only time you should start seeing less damage reduction from resilience is when you start using the Tyrannical gear in patch 5.2..

So am I understanding it correct that we will have less resilience/ damage reduction in our end gear than we do now?
If that is true I wonder why on earth this is happening, seeing how about 75% of all posts on the mbs are people complaining about burst damage...
More resilience/ damage reduction has been mentioned as solution, less pvp power to damage has been mentioned as solution, but I have NEVER seen anyone ask for less damage reduction.

Just would like to see that cleared up: do we get less resilience/ damage reduction when we have full Tyrannical, as we do now in full Malevolent?
90 Undead Monk
It's pretty obvious that damage is too high in this game when you can get globaled at 65% resilience.

Im sharing your opinion. The resilience a players can have (fully stacking resilience) in tyrannical gear is around 66%. The increase in resilience to what we wear today is almost none existent while PvP power / main stats + secondary stats are increasing.

Whats happening is indirectly buffing PvP damage.

For me it looks like Blizzard made a change before thinking about it.

I know they always say they discuss things like this but I start doubting it.
6 Dwarf Priest

This ^^^. SO much this.
Just about every post here is: Boomkins do too much damage, warriors do too much damage, locks chaosbolts do too much damage, etc etc etc.
BURST is still too high even on people with full resilience and Blizzard's solution is too make resilience/ damage reduction less??

If what I read here from Nakatoir's post is even slightly correct this means that in a very hidden way (sneaky at best) the game is going to be completely changed at the end gear part of it, against what just about everyone has asked for.

I would really like to see any possible explanation for any company so extremely ignoring its player base as blizz does.
Community
05/03/2013 17:53Posted by Dumpey
So am I understanding it correct that we will have less resilience/ damage reduction in our end gear than we do now?
No, I feel that my explanation may have been misleading. Your resilience will continue to increase as you get more of it, so you will have more resilience in Tyrannical gear than in Malevolent. The explanation is only about when you have full Tyrannical gear and not comparative to Malevolent gear.

So, to elaborate; the theoretical max of damage reduction when wearing full Tyrannical gear is now lower than what it would have been if this change to the formula didn't occur, but not by any drastic amount. In current patch 5.1 gear, your resilience should be either the same as it was before, if not, better.

05/03/2013 18:02Posted by Dumpey
BURST is still too high even on people with full resilience and Blizzard's solution is too make resilience/ damage reduction less??
Nope, your damage reduction will still increase going into the future, just the theoretical max has been lowered slightly. This change was aimed more towards allowing undergeared players more resilience, those at higher levels of resilience should notice little to no change.
Edited by Nakatoir on 05/03/2013 18:18 GMT
This thread is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]