How to RP a noble?

90 Worgen Hunter
I've thought about it in the past, and had a go, but I am just wondering: How do I RP one? Many people claim that many noble RPers are absolutely pants, and they get a lot of hate, so how do I RP one?

P.S. I don not plan on RPing one, this is just in case I ever do in the future.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Don't act like you own Stormwind and have vast armies at your command, treat commoners with respect, but that depends on what kind of personality the noble have.
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Mage
Best not to ask here and use your own judgement, or else you`ll get 20+ Different people arguing how a noble should be RPed
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
In my opinion. You role-play a Noble like you do every other title, not brazenly, don't make it overly obvious.

I really don't see why there's any stigma, if I put Noble in one of my alt's titles I can almost guarantee I'd get no stick for it simply because I wouldn't devote a guild to myself, wear a cloak and robe and fit a monocle against my left eye.
Reply Quote
Call street urchins classless filth and smack us out of the way with your cane. Seriously. We like that.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
Why not try to play a merchant or a somewhat middle class kind of character and build yourself up politically into a noble.
Reply Quote
46 Blood Elf Mage
As a noble, your character will likely have been subjected to a lot of rhetoric about (their own) bloodline and family name, particularly on the subject of the history of their prosperity and continuing both the line and said prosperity.

While your particular noble's family doesn't have to have subjected them to this kind of rhetoric, it seems plausible to me that other people of noble bloodlines your character would've come into contact with would've done so in their stead.

And then of course, after all that, your character will no doubt end up looking down a rather large metaphorical cliff face to the waves of proletariat (so to speak) below. It's more than likely they'll hate your character for being so privileged.

How your character reacts to any of these factors is up to you!
Edited by Kaleia on 20/03/2013 20:41 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
Call street urchins classless filth and smack us out of the way with your cane. Seriously. We like that.

This is a common misconception, however. The nobility in actuality do not typically treat the lower classes with such outright disdain. At least not in this setting. Etiquette and one's image exceptionally important for a member of the nobility, after all. They're not going to run around insulting anyone they meet and if they do happen to loathe someone, they'd be subtle about it.

If people do want to go down the route of the cliché 'arrogant and cruel' noble, then they should be prepared to have an angry mob break into their estate and hold them accountable if they go too far with their behaviour. There's a reason many nobles seek to appease the lower classes, after all.
Edited by Calthric on 20/03/2013 20:45 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
I think the most important thing to it is to play it as something that he simply /is/. Too many noble characters do actually go around saying "oh I'm so much better than you!" etc. It's often as if they had only just discovered their station and decided to take advantage of it. Most likely your character has been at his station all his life and he simply views the world differently. He might scoff at someone not having the coin to pay for themselves; he might feel he worked hard to keep whatever titles he has, and think others lazy if they don't do the same. However, never think that pushing your character's morals and values into someone else's face. It creates conflict yes but it doesn't make it more enjoyable for anyone. A real character is a character; he has his own way of thinking and his own concepts of right and wrong, his own idea of his place in the world and the place of others, and if he is born into nobility then most likely that has -influenced- him. However, you should never let it -dominate- a character.
Edited by Dampierre on 20/03/2013 20:49 GMT
Reply Quote
89 Blood Elf Mage
If you wish to roleplay as a noble then you need to know if you will a lesser or upper noble, if you choose to be something in between, then mix the two a little, this is still only my own opinion about all of it.
Lesser noble:
-You have less land perhaps no land, less income from people living on your lands or none. In other words; less things, no private army for sure.
-Your servants are not that many, you might not even have one.
-Fancy clothes? You should be able to pay for that, however not as fancy as an upper class noble.
-You would probably know most people who works under you, due the fact they are not that many.
-Work for the king, you will probably get some more land for that.. or at least some money?

Upper noble:
-If you truly wish to roleplay as an upper noble then you would probably have to get people working for you and so on, a guild? Could simply be servants to your own army.
-Fancy clothes, you will be able to pay for that.
-Some nobles are caring, while others does not care that much of their servants. I would say a upper noble cares less for a human being than a lesser noble.
-Own lands, get people to roleplay people who rents your lands, houses and so on.
-Use your private army(if you got one) to fight for the King, Queen or what so ever for more lands.

And for both lesser and upper nobles, how you are against people is something you will have to build up yourself, a noble can be cruel against those under him/her, your character can even be cruel against those that doesn't work for you, it is all about your character. How you roleplay your noble is up to you, but I hope I at least made a point from what I have written here, as it is more or less tips from my side! It is all about opinions after all.
Edited by Nirithinia on 22/03/2013 09:52 GMT
Reply Quote
I don't really think there is a 'proper' way to play a noble. Mainly because nobillity in WoW is vague, it's mostly just our interpretation and google. I think the main gripe with most noble rpers though, is that they talk like farmers and have this "I can do what I want and get away with it because I'm a noble so F you all, HAH" attitude and forget that being a noble means you have responsibillities and obligations.

Personally, I always thought being a noble is a bit like being caged. There are all these responsibillities, all these obligations and all these courtesies. You don't really have the freedom to do what you want (I think you don't have much freedom at all), because you have to walk on egg shells most of the time.

Just my interpretation of course. With great power, comes great responsibillity etc.
Reply Quote
46 Blood Elf Mage
Spiderman. /thread
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Lesser noble:
-You have less land perhaps no land, less income from people living on your lands or none. In other words; less things, no private army for sure.
-Your servants are not that many, you might not even have one.
-Fancy clothes? You should be able to pay for that, however not as fancy as an upper class noble.
-You would probably know most people who works under you, due the fact they are not that many.
-Work for the king, you will probably get some more land for that.. or at least some money?

Upper noble:
-If you truly wish to roleplay as an upper noble then you would probably have to get people working for you and so on, a guild? Could simply be servants to your own army.
-Fancy clothes, you will be able to pay for that.
-Some nobles are caring, while others does not care that much of their servants. I would say a upper noble cares less for a human being than a lesser noble.
-Own lands, get people to roleplay people who rents your lands, houses and so on.
-Use your private army(if you got one) to fight for the King, Queen or what so ever for more lands.

This is actually quite well done. *Stamp of approval*
But, again, it really depends in the nobles personality, and the bloodline's history.
They might have a small "army" (A good bunch of men loyal to the line), or even more men. They'd most likely have some, working as guards. If it's a lower noble, these could perhaps have other jobs too.
*Imagines the cook working as a bodyguard...*
Their funds would depend on what the nobles do (This could be within the war interest, education, research and whatnot).

All in all, when you RP a noble, I'd strongly recommend you to take your time to think through the family history. Is your line an old one? Perhaps it's only recently gained nobility? What do they do to increase their funds?
Also, you'd like to think how your character would have been raised. They'd most certainly know how to read and write in their native language, and perhaps more than just that. There's also a large chance that they would have gotten basic etiquette forced over their heads.

But, perhaps your character would have hated this! A wild man/woman born in nobility but abseloutly hating it. Could be interesting to RP that.
Edited by Krusula on 22/03/2013 13:04 GMT
Reply Quote
But, perhaps your character would have hated this! A wild man/woman born in nobility but abseloutly hating it. Could be interesting to RP that.

I -think- someone used to do that in Stormwind, I think it was the son for someone in the Royal Court? Probably one of the more rebellious characters I've seen.

Oh the times they sent military companies to find him.. *Shakes head in disapproval*
Reply Quote
1. Get a monocle.

2. Be an arrogant douché

3. Succes!
Reply Quote
Fight for the North.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
1. Get a monocle.

2. Be an arrogant douché

3. Succes!

Pretty much this..
Its so easy that everyone does it, which makes noble more common then commoners!

... Which technically makes Nobles into commoners?
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Rogue
I recommend the reading of any number of Restoration-through-Austin comedies of manners, satires, and revenge tragedies.

The Way of The World
She Stoops To Conquer
The School For Scandal
The Revenger's Tragedy
Hamlet
Several of the plays written by Aphra Behn

Intrigue, petty rivalries being seen as very important, gossip, and responsibility. Fops, those who think they are witty but are not, revengers, plotters, and more.
http://www.theatrelinks.com/comedy-of-manners/
Edited by Fyne on 22/03/2013 13:37 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
There's a number of ways you can tackle the question of 'How to RP a noble' as there's a few ways how nobles are interpreted in popular fantasy, history or other sources.

The way which seems to be the most popular at the moment (and of which I'm definitely not a fan) is the way how nobles are interpreted in Game of Thrones. All noble characters there seem to be warriors with little regard for tact or decency. Most of the high nobles also turn out to be incredibly arrogant folk who like to cause pain instead of making sure their noble riches are managed in a proper way. Mind you, its -not a bad- way to interpret a noble character, but its hugely overdone at the moment.

Instead, I think proper and realistic noble RP should be inspired by books and works written in the top days of noble behaviour and decadence: The Victorian era. Think of books like Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, Pride and Prejudice but also modern day movies like 'The Duchess' or 'Becoming Jane'. Even though your character ain't a noble, its great inspiration material if you'd like your character to be proper and tidy. Its also the way how I RP Anastre and its such a pity that I seem to be alone in my love for this material when I see the tons of child-like behaving Blood Elves around. *pouts*
Edited by Anastre on 22/03/2013 15:11 GMT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]