Authenticator How Long Does It Last?

90 Draenei Shaman
How long does the battery in this Authenticator last I've had mine since it came out and i was just curious to how long the battery lasts in this tiny thing?
Reply Quote
58 Undead Death Knight
I googled, and it said 5 years for the similar ones that you use for bank.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman

Ah ok thanks was just curious cause i'd be screwed if the battery ran out as i don't know how i'd replace it lol.
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
90 Night Elf Monk
Edit: nm, they ate my page.
I've had mine for .. 3 years? I think. I hope it at least has the battery fading slightly at first, rather than going kaput in one go :p
Edited by Nyshae on 20/03/2013 21:31 GMT
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Worgen Death Knight

It's actually seven years for the Battle.net authenticators. :)

[Guide & FAQ] Authenticators
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2098121065
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Well it's a simple LCD screen so i don't see it using all that much power from the battery if it's only active for a minute or so a day.
Reply Quote
81 Draenei Death Knight
I bought one when they first came out and it died within 5-6 months. Okay it was getting used 5-6 times a day but still.

These days I don't use one.

Why?

Because when mine died it was a total nightmare to get access to my account again, took almost 15-16 days and I had to email them my original cd keys for all my expansions, along with a photograph of 3-4 various ID and photo of the back of my authenticator.

It was so much hassle. :(

Took 15-16 days, many emails and a dozen phone calls.
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
90 Gnome Mage
Hm, going by Etta's story it seems a good idea to get a back-up one.

Actually I've wondered about this (the topic) before.

Curious: Am I the only one who keeps it in the small plastic bag/covering ?
Yeah, I know it is nonsense, but I really do. :-D
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
if you got an apple/android phone, get the app instead... then you can charge the Authenticator \o/
Reply Quote
I bought one when they first came out and it died within 5-6 months. Okay it was getting used 5-6 times a day but still.

Why?

Because when mine died it was a total nightmare to get access to my account again, took almost 15-16 days and I had to email them my original cd keys for all my expansions, along with a photograph of 3-4 various ID and photo of the back of my authenticator.

This may be a dumb question, but I don't have an authenticator so I don't know how it works. But could you have avoided having your account locked if you bought a new authenticator before trying to log in again after the other one died?
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
90 Gnome Mage
This may be a dumb question, but I don't have an authenticator so I don't know how it works. But could you have avoided having your account locked if you bought a new authenticator before trying to log in again after the other one died?

In some countries they sell authenticators in stores, though you have to go check to actually know this, however if you don't know this or they aren't sold in your country then you have to buy them from the Blizzard store which can take several weeks to ship,
so if it ran out of power suddenly you could be without WOW for weeks or longer.
Reply Quote
21/03/2013 06:42Posted by Zazkya

In some countries they sell authenticators in stores, though you have to go check to actually know this, however if you don't know this or they aren't sold in your country then you have to buy them from the Blizzard store which can take several weeks to ship,
so if it ran out of power suddenly you could be without WOW for weeks or longer.

I see, thanks. We do have them in game stores, so I guess the only problem is having one dying on me on a Saturday afternoon, heh.
Reply Quote
81 Draenei Death Knight

Why?

Why?

I had no warning it was going to die, I thought it was fine and one day it simply didnt work anymore. It's not like the screen was dimming because the battery was going, it was fine then suddenly stopped.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
Easiest way is to use a phone as an authenticator.

The only problem I had was when I upgraded the rooted software on my phone (CM) and lost the account match with the authenticator, however you are given a key to remove this so unless you lose that like I did then it was just a quick call to blizz to confirm who I was, simples :)

I cant understand why you would need to use the authenticator 5-6 times a day!, unless you are on dial up or change IP frequently, I only have to authenticate one every week or so.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
My authenticator is on an android phone, I can't stress enough to make a note of the recovery details if you have the phone version, do it now, it only takes a minute and may save you a lot of hassle if your phone dies.

I cant understand why you would need to use the authenticator 5-6 times a day!, unless you are on dial up or change IP frequently, I only have to authenticate one every week or so.
Maybe he has a tick here https://eu.battle.net/account/management/authenticator.html
Edited by Dottie on 21/03/2013 13:44 GMT
Reply Quote
81 Draenei Death Knight
Easiest way is to use a phone as an authenticator.

The only problem I had was when I upgraded the rooted software on my phone (CM) and lost the account match with the authenticator, however you are given a key to remove this so unless you lose that like I did then it was just a quick call to blizz to confirm who I was, simples :)

I'm talking about when authenticators first came out, back in those days you had to authenticate every time you logged in.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
I've had mine for almost five years. Still works perfectly, although i've had a substantial break from the game in this period.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
if you got an apple/android phone, get the app instead... then you can charge the Authenticator \o/

There is only one flaw with the App Authenticator is if your phone brakes then you are pretty much either got lots of hassle to sort it or you remove the Authenticator but risk getting your account hacked which did happen to my friend her phone broke she removed her Authenticator and within a short while she was hacked :S
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Shouldn`t you be able to call them and ask for its removal if you gave up the keynumber? when i bought it was advertised this way. Physical if it wasn`t clear. Would like to ehar a blue how stuff like this get handled if they have knowledge off it.
Edited by Lightgoddes on 21/03/2013 21:59 GMT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]