5.3 changes concerning PvP

90 Human Rogue
In this thread I will list down all the 5.3 (PTR) notes that concern PvP. I will update it every time there is new information. I will also post my opinion on these changes.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE 17/04/13 (I thought this thread was deleted, hence the late update):

Eye of the Storm: The starting platforms have been lowered.

No longer will Paladins and Death Knights lose their health at the start because of their speed increase, awesome!

Picking up the Alliance or Horde flag while in a Rated Battleground now increases damage taken by 50% for characters in a tanking specialization, and increases damage taken by 20% for characters in a non-tanking specialization.

This will make more specs a viable FC, but current FCs might lose their role because of this. I'm not sure what to say about it, it can turn out very nice, or very, very bad.

Tyrannical Gladiator’s Tabard and Tyrannical Gladiator’s Greatcloak are available as new prestige items at 2500 rating for 1000 Conquest Points

Great to see more vanity items in PvP. I'm wondering if the rating inflation system will make a significant difference to how hard these items are to acquire. We really need some mid-rating rewards though.

- Glorious Tyranny weapon enchantment now grants 600 PvP Power instead of 400 PvP Power and 200 Resilience.
- New weapon enchantment: Bloody Dancing Steel is functionally equivalent to Dancing Steel, shares the same visual effect as Glorious Tyranny, costs a scroll of the base enchant, and requires a 2200 rating.
- New weapon enchantment: Spirit of Conquest is functionally equivalent to Jade Spirit, shares the same visual effect as Glorious Tyranny, costs a scroll of the base enchant, and requires a 2200 rating.

This should make these enchants viable for more classes, which is good. I haven't seen these in-game yet though, are they easy to spot - and therefore prestigious?

Tyrannical weapons no longer have a conquest-earned prerequisite to purchase them.

Nice! This will make it easier for alts to jump in later on in the seasaon.

- Battle Fatigue now reduces the amount of healing and absorbs by 45%, up from 30%.
- PvP Power bonus to healing is now based on class and specialization.
- Healing specializations receive a 100% bonus to healing from PvP Power.
- Damage specializations for Druids, Monks, Paladins, Priests, and Shamans receive a 70% bonus to healing from PvP Power.
- All other specializations and classes (including tanking) receive a 40% bonus to healing from PvP Power.

I like that PvP Power is now based on class and spec, because it should make adjustments a lot easier. I'm not sure what to say about the other nerfs or buffs, anyone on PTR who can give more information on how these changes are affecting PvP at the moment?

Changes to the current Blade's Edge and Dalaran arena are live on the PTR. The pillars in Blade's Edge have been exchanged for stairs and there are now stairs behind the boxes on the Dalaran map.

This looks really good! Knockback classes won't have a unfair advantage anymore over others, especially melee, which had no chance to kill certain classes if they stood on the pillar/behind the boxes.

A new arena with the Shado'pan theme called The Tiger's Peak has been added. It looks a bit like Tol'vir, except that it has two small platforms (with fences).

Looks good. Nothing really special, but that's just how an arena map should be in my opinion.

Hildegard has made a video about the two changed maps and the new one, you can check it out here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0sGH_p6QjM

- All characters now have a base Resilience of 65%.
- Resilience has been removed from most PvP gear.
- Season 13 Tyrannical gear had their item levels increased to ilevel 496, up from ilevel 493.
- Season 13 Tyrannical Elite gear had their item levels decreased to ilevel 496, down from ilevel 512.
- Battlegrounds, Rated Battlegrounds, and Arenas now have an ilevel cap. All gear will be scaled down to ilevel 496.

This sounds really, really good. I will break it down for you.

1) Increase of base Resilience means that we take less damage in general, which is good.
2) Season 13 Tyrannical gear was only slightly better than Season 12 Malevolent 2/2, it's good that the item level (and therefore stats) gets increased.
3) Season 13 Tyrannical Elite gear was so much better than normal Season 13 Tyrannical gear, it was basically just like the upgrade system we had in season 12. This was only making the gap we have in gear between characters even bigger.
4) Scaling down item level, also scales down the stats. In 5.3 we will have PvE gear with an item level that is A LOT higher than the current PvP gear. There was a chance that it would become better than the PvP gear. By scaling down gear to item level 496 in PvP zones, this should hardly be a problem (if it would be a problem at all).
5) Resilience has been removed from most PvP, hmmm. I can't really comment on this yet, we will need more information on which pieces this concerns, if the Resilience gets buffed on other pieces, etc.

One minor concern would be World PvP. If the item level of PvP gear is only 496, PvE gear might be very dominant here. To be fair with you though, I'm not that bothered with World PvP in the first place, so don't mind this at all.

New Battleground: Deepwind Gorge

In the new Battleground situated in the Valley of the Four Winds, the Alliance and Horde continue their war for Pandaria’s precious resources. While the two factions battle for control over mines, they must also protect their own resources from being stolen and turned against them!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ebdH2k2fBw
Cool, a new battleground. It sounds a bit like Silvershard Mines, except for "they must also protect their own resources from being stolen and turned against them". I'm curious how this will work and if it will be added to the Rated Battlegrounds, I'm looking forward to thinking of new strategies! I really can't comment on this, as it's not yet finished on the PTR.

Blog with additional information and explanation for the reasoning behind PvP changes will be available very soon.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/9331806/
Edited by Thornass on 17/04/2013 14:13 BST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
All i had to do was read 1 sentence:

It's terrible, PVE gear will domiante with the amount of sockets they get.

Furthermore world pvp will be dominated by people in PVE gear.

/thread.

One minor concern would be World PvP. If the item level of PvP gear is only 496, PvE gear might be very dominant here. To be fair with you though, I'm not that bothered with World PvP in the first place, so don't mind this at all.

Get out.

World pvp is awesome and fun.
Edited by Phonix on 23/03/2013 12:40 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk

Get out.

See what forum this is?

*loads shotgun*

I think you best' be scootin' back to where you came frurm' partner.

But seriously, World PvP is !@#$ing garbage.

Good post Thornass, but that new arena looks like everything people have told Blizzard not to make.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest

Get out.

Sure it can be fun, but by it's unbalanced by it's very concept anyway and therefore should not really be a major focus of balance design. It's cannot be balanced because there are no teams, no fixed player counts, vastly differentiating levels, access to all abilities, potions, funky trinkets etc. in the game. Plus the environment mobs/guards and so on which can interfere.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman

- All characters now have a base Resilience of 65%.
- Resilience has been removed from most PvP gear.

I stopped reading here! Do they have any idea what does this means, and how much empty space they leave for PVE heroes to abuse hc gear in arenas?

Resilience needs to be only on PVP items anything that is not PVP geared should be oneshotable i had enough of legendary stuff in arena I would like just 1 or 2 season without that gibberish....
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
While world pvp might not be extraordinary important but it would still feel really !@#$ty to get one-shotted out in the World by people in PvE gear. When you expect PvP action, wherever you are, the PvP gear should be best. It isn't like this is unsolvable.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
I don't really like the idea of blizzard making PvE gear dominate PvP gear, I don't want to have to raid the latest content just to be putting out damage in arena and RBGs. I think they've really messed up with these ideas, I think passive resi should be 20% and PvP gear needs to give ALOT more PvP related stats (Power & Resi), when i'm up against someone in PVE gear, I want them to blink and be dead, I don't want them to blow cools and own me.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
, when i'm up against someone in PVE gear, I want them to blink and be dead, I don't want them to blow cools and own me.

can`t agree more. ppl with pve gear should be at a gigantonormous disadvantage vs a player with pvp gear.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
So you have base resilience 65% and afaik resi is scaling bad after 66%, which means you can gem full pvp power, so you will do much more damage than now.

How is it good????

Seriously just make 4 piece setbonuses reduce incoming crit damage by 20%, or 30% than if healing becoming too good, battle fatigue can be buffed more.

Human hunters with full pvp power gemmed with rapid fire proc... man I cant imagine what damage will they do on me. ;(
Reply Quote
55 Human Death Knight
People with PvE gear will still own most of the people. Not sure what Blizzard tries to do with PvP nowadays.

Human hunters with full pvp power gemmed with rapid fire proc... man I cant imagine what damage will they do on me. ;(

Does it matter if they are humans? lol
Edited by Frostblomma on 23/03/2013 15:06 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Dude, on my rouge I did 3s today. My shaman healer with 67% resi got instant killed in an opener. Enemies team warriors Dragons Roar critted for 230k and he was in cheap shot. gg, not. Another match a drood did instant 180k non crit on him. Starsurge or something. NON CRIT! this game, pfft.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
As long PvE gear wont be dominant in PvP they can do what ever they like, how ever this can turn out good or terribly bad. Will be waiting for their blog post explaning the reasoning behind this.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
People with PvE gear will still own most of the people. Not sure what Blizzard tries to do with PvP nowadays.

Does it matter if they are humans? lol

Do you know that humans have +1k pvp power? No you dont...
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I don't think so. Main stats will be roughly the same, with PvE gear having like one more socket, whereas PvP gear has more PvP power. Differences would be minimal, if PvE is better (I don't think so though).

Neck from Lei-Shen Soul Prism of Lei-Shen has 2 sockets. Putting resilience gems in both could easily make it a BiS with decent margin for healers.

Star-Stealer Waistguard and similar items with resilience gems could easily be BiS for tanks.

The problem of PvE trinkets and set bonuses sometimes getting better than PvP equivalents isn't new and this change doesn't really add to this issue, its mainly that it doesn't solve it.

If they remove resilience (and possibly also pvp power) gems from the game, almost all of the problems directly associated with this announced change go away. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they announced that as part of this deal.
Reply Quote
55 Human Death Knight

Extra trinket so what?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Neck from Lei-Shen Soul Prism of Lei-Shen has 2 sockets. Putting resilience gems in both could easily make it a BiS with decent margin for healers.

But the ilvl on that neck will be scaled down to 496 to match PvP items. That means it will have lower stats.

and similar items with resilience gems could easily be BiS for tanks.

That is an issue. The tanks sets from PvE will be vastly superior to any PvP alternatives for FC:s.
Edited by Ukkeniov on 23/03/2013 15:26 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
23/03/2013 15:15Posted by Frostblomma

Extra trinket so what?

Rapid fire increases your pvp power by 3200+1000=4200 + pvp power.... -.- You dont get it, do you?????? XD
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]