Affliction suggested buff list for 5.3

90 Undead Warlock
Why affliction is weak ?

Our dots are just weak outside of Demon Soul and our surviability isn't that great, will be even worst with 5.3 gateway change, blade edge/dalaran changes (they added stairs, teleport nerf).

How to fix it legitimately ?

Well firstable, affliction always worked pretty much the same way during BC/WoTLK/Cata, changing everything like blizzard did for MoP hurted us very very hard.

Here are some needed changes (gathered only by gladiators/r1 warlocks) :

1) Siphon life should be a passive effect and not a glyph.

2) - Haunt should return some hps to the warlock like it was in cataclysm.
- The shard cost for the haunt is really gamebreaking and make us really weak.
I think there is 2 options to fix that :

Increase shard proc rate against pvp players, it's the easiest way, 8% would be balanced enough.
The other way is to put a cooldown on Haunt and make it cost no shard at all.

3) The old spiritual link should be back, i really don't know why developpers changed that mechanic.
The talent is now almost useless because when your pet receive damage, it's shared with you, there is no utility to choose Spiritual Link except vs a minority of comps.
Spiritual link need to reduce damage taken by 20%, that's all.

4) Life Tap is a very old mechanic, while other dps class can have infinite mana, we need to sacrifice our hps to gain mana. It doesn't make any sense tbh.
Something should be changed on this talent.

5) Make the -25% corruption nerf PVE ONLY (like you did for frostbomb), affliction damage were already really low during 5.1 and we were all awaiting for a damage buff, but we got nerfed :( ?

6) Soul Burn / Soul Swap, 2 options to fix :

- Dots casted manually should do slightly more damage than dots applied by SB / SS or just delete the SB / SS mechanic and make dots do a significative amount of damage.
- Or maybe dots should scale better with pvp power.

7) Dark Intent shouldn't be dispellable i guess (this is just my opinion here)

8) Howl and Coil shouldn't be together on the level 30 talent tier, they have to be separated.
Put Burning Rush or Blood Horror on level 30 talent tier and howl lvl 60 tier.
Affliction need to have those 2 spells, having to choose between howl or coil have been a huge nerf for us.

9) If our dots are getting buffed in 5.3, Demon Soul need to be tuned down a bit to avoid huge burst.

These changes are suggested to make our class viable again in arena, it won't make us OP, I just want to be at the same balance level as other classes.

Sorry for my english
Edited by Bahwémorray on 12/04/2013 15:01 BST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Demonic Gateway can now be attacked and killed by enemy players. Each gateway has 50% of the summoning Warlock's health, and 100% of their resilience.

They are joking right?

so, our 87 spell si killable now? are they all retarded?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
4) Life Tap is a very old mechanic, while other dps class can have infinite mana, we need to sacrifice our hps to gain mana. It doesn't make any sense tbh.

Uh.

No.

Life tap costing Health is one of the defining skills as a warlock, changing it would be the death of some of the feeling as a warlock.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock

Uh.

No.

Life tap costing Health is one of the defining skills as a warlock, changing it would be the death of some of the feeling as a warlock.

sure in pve it's fine but try to use that while being tunneled by 2 mongos in arena
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock

sure in pve it's fine but try to use that while being tunneled by 2 mongos in arena

Doesnt matter. Its still one of the defining spells for Warlocks, find some other way of fixing locks instead of destroying our essentials.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
life tap mechanic can't be used outside of PvE at the moment. The thing is that it just brings you mana, while sacrificing a lot of essential ressources : health. As we lost our periodic health regeneration, it is now a huge cost and we can't afford it in PvP.

in My opinion, we should gain some extra bonuses when using connexion or any other health consumming spell. this mechanic is part of our essentials and should be more interesting to use. We, warlocks want to get the most of our whole game play and play style in any play ground.

• Connexion ====> an increase of X% of spell power, intel or Haste for N sec. stacks Y times. alongside with health to mana conversion.
  • this is the sort of buff I'd love to see.

this sort of things should be possible for an Affliction warlock as he must have a high health regen.

In fact, regenerating around 3% of our max health ( taking pvp - 30% healing debuff into account ) per second is realistic. The actual drain life ability only restores 1,4% of our max health per tick in PvP. So there is still a long way to go.
    Edited by Tyrwen on 12/04/2013 10:26 BST
    Reply Quote
    ENough is enough make warlocks a playable class again.
    Reply Quote
    90 Dwarf Warlock
    I agree with it all but lets not get our hopes up. Having said that, if Warlocks don't see any love in the next patch I'll just cancel my sub for 6 months and see what patch 5.4 brings.
    Reply Quote
    90 Blood Elf Warlock
    I agree with it all but lets not get our hopes up. Having said that, if Warlocks don't see any love in the next patch I'll just cancel my sub for 6 months and see what patch 5.4 brings.

Quote, and that's not just a "Nuooooo!!! The nurf me, i'll fotm reroll" when it's enough it's enough.
    I continue to see mage buffs (They seems to want to double the mage dots spell power scaling AGAIN) and other classes changes and i always hope to see something good about locks but nothing.
    Do not misunderstand me, locks are really good, great damage output, good defensives, but when you got trained 24/7 or you get controlled 24/7 you can't do !@#$.
    And battle fatigue is retarded imho, it only affects healing and absorb, but what to damage avoidance abilities or damage reduction abilities? Classes that revolves around them are just in a better spot than classes who self heals.
    Reply Quote
    90 Blood Elf Warlock
    my life as a pvp Aff lock :

full Dot !
    channel MG ! nyarknyarknyark ^_^ gonna kill them all !

CS -----> shadow school banned 6 sec

ok so now I can channel MG nyarnyarknyarf ! ^_^

CS -----> Shadow school banned 6 sec

Stun, focus, blanket silence, am dead...

or you get controlled 24/7 you can't do !@#$.

I understand what u mean.

affliction needs a second magic school in my opinion. destru and demo have fire and shadow ...
    Edited by Tyrwen on 12/04/2013 13:08 BST
    Reply Quote
    90 Undead Warlock
    affliction needs a second magic school in my opinion. destru and demo have fire and shadow ...

Definately this. Affliction suffers terribly from not being able to cast Fear when on a complete shadow lockout, never mind the lack of damage output due to MG being the easiest to interrupt and also on the shadow lockout.

What I find in PvP is that Affliction Warlocks are enormously susceptible to being trained (and thus interrupted, as even fakecasting won't help again low-CD interrupts with lockouts and the ton of CC that people have to use should they fail to land an interrupt. Combine that with Kil'Jaeden's Cunning being awesome for PvP, if not almost essential when having a melee on you, but also keeping you slowed 24/7, resulting in a melee ALWAYS been in range of you, apart from the few seconds when you can actually get a cast off. Ofcourse, SS:Portal helps for the movement increase and snare/slow immunity, but it costs a soulshard, which we also require for doing actual damage and pressure and can be quite hard to get back if you're unlucky with RNG.

I think Affliction warlocks could do well with an ability to actually immobilize & Slow a target. I was thinking about something like this:

Soul Chains - The Warlock conjures three shadowy chains that grasp the target's soul, reducing enemy movement speed to 0% as they struggle for control over their soul. The chains can't move, have an X amount of HP points and can be killed. Each killed chain reduces the slow effect. (From reducing movement to 0% / 40% / 80% / 100%(<--- Back to normal after all chains are killed.) Chains last for X seconds.
    Reply Quote
    60 Human Warlock

actually Demo has 4 schools of magic: Shadow, Fire, Chaos and Shadowflame
    Reply Quote
    90 Orc Mage
    The thing with locks is that a large portion of their damage is through malefic grasp. I feel channeled abilities just don't do well. Both locks and MW monks, rely to much on their channel, and if you don't fake cs's you are gonna have a bad time.

what I am saying is remove channels, it screws classes over in pvp to some extent.
    Reply Quote
    90 Blood Elf Warlock
    Kil'Jaeden's Cunning is awesome for PvP,

but also keeping you slowed 24/7, resulting in a melee ALWAYS being in range of you,

So awesome ! =D

interesting to notice how our own talents can turn against us .... often.

@Thorkaa: ty for the comment, I do not play much as a demo.

what I am saying is remove channels, it screws classes over in pvp to some extent.

I'd love to see the removal of MG, and having my old shadow bolts back, with instant cast on procs. you are 100% right, channels suck and it destroys our game play.
    Edited by Tyrwen on 12/04/2013 14:53 BST
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Warlock
    Affli lock need 25% passive reduction like he always had. Coil / Howl/ SF tier should be reworked so we can have coil + SF / howl. Need massive boost to our dots and nerf or removing of MG and we are fine.
    Reply Quote
    90 Orc Mage
    I do not understand what is so difficult. I mean, oke its a new expansion they made some changes the way affi locks work (e.g MG) mistake was made, it happens just fix it now, why bother waiting so long.

Tbh changes the dots in such a way that it does X% more dmg versus players is not hard at all, or let the dots ignore a certain amount of resi so they do more 2 players.... just ignoring more ressi would just fix the largest part of the locks.

I dunno, I guess you will just have to run demo or something else to be viable.

However the fact that healing gets nerfed is postive / negative for locks is debateable, 1. they already take the d, so more d will be given to them, 2. Healing reduction means that spread dot damage will be a lot more stronger versus healers. Obviously the classes that got god burst like rogues and mages etc will be even stronger, gl trying to pick up a player that is so low, while your other partner is the next in line who gets blown 2 pieces.

I am a bit skeptical about the healing nerf.
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Warlock
    [quote]
    Doesnt matter. Its still one of the defining spells for Warlocks, find some other way of fixing locks instead of destroying our essentials.

Any idea to get around this would be fine but still the lifetap mechanics is 100% fail in pvp and not fun in pve in many fights where hps will go super low by design. Perhaps it could be limited to 5 or 10% health per tap and bring mana aplenty.

As a comparison point, mages' Evocation was designed to help mages regen mana when mana disappeared quickly. Nowadays mages never need mana and just use evocation as a mightily potent heal.
    Edited by Silmarieni on 18/04/2013 01:13 BST
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Warlock
    Soul burn / soul swap was the worst change to the class from the start and caused balancing problems in both pvp and pve to no end.

The class designers haven't be able to rebalance it in years, it would be much better to go back to an era of strong dots and no cloning.

Also something has to be done about melee mobility, notably warriors.
    Warriors will train locks all day and all locks mechanisms don't work (tp, demonic Gateway) as the warrior will instantly be again on the warlock. There has to be a way to strenghten curse of exhaustion to also slow instant warrior moves (charge & co) as the lock won't cast any spell in close range to any decent melee class and get soloed in about 4 gcds (of course rogues will destroy you from afar with a few shuriken tosses but that's another debate).

Point 8 (howl & coil) would be a good start but I'm not sure it would be enough. Also survivability and non dispellable burst also affect destruction and demonology, it isn't limited to affliction.
    Edited by Silmarieni on 18/04/2013 01:15 BST
    Reply Quote
    1 Undead Rogue
    a very simple way to fix affliction >
    1.Warlock PvP 4-piece set bonus now increases damage dealt by Agony, Corruption, Doom, Immolate, and Unstable Affliction by 40% but you cannot SB:SS.
    2.If the Unstable Affliction is dispelled it will cause damage to the dispeller and silence them for 4 sec. This damage always double critically strikes.
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Warlock

Uh.

No.

life tap isnt the problem its the spell cost that is and this problem is afecting both demo and affl. blizz needs to keep the felflame cost for destro while drastically reducing it for affl and demo and also channel spells need a cost reduction too enspecially MG.
    With a tiny bit of passive regen like we used to have preMoP and mana regen not getting blown up by costy spamable spells( felflame) we wont need to life tap that often and u will do it only in noncriticall moments.
    and yeah lifetap has been warlock signature for long time.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]