How to post a good thread on wow forums?

90 Tauren Paladin
How to post a good thread on wow forums? Either i write too angry, or dull, or it gets locked etc, i wanna discuss topics that bother me and vent my frustration but still do it in a proper way but i dunno how, any advice?
Reply Quote
MVP - WoW, Diablo III
90 Draenei Shaman
12/04/2013 16:56Posted by Pondato
discuss

12/04/2013 16:56Posted by Pondato
vent my frustration

Two entirely different things but the former is what these forums are for and if done right, can achieve the latter too.

It's all about remaining constructive and open to discussion.. making a thread that reads like a demand or an angry rant will generally attract the same in return, which then attracts a moderator which then attracts a padlock etc etc etc.

One sentence threads don't do much either... neither does the "hit and run" (as I call it).. .like "CRZ Sucks... /discuss"

If I am annoyed about something, I generally write it up in Word first then read it through as if I have not written it, see if it is written in such a way that is promoting open discussion on the subject rather than it being a "My opinion is right".. most of all, be open to posters who may disagree with you and be prepared to discuss it... calmly and constructively.
Reply Quote
Community
Just say what you like or don't like about whatever it is you're discussing and, if possible, say how you think it could be improved/changed and why.

I know it's easy to get worked up by something you may find frustrating (it's good, it means you're passionate about the game!), but try to remember when posting feedback that we have to pass it on to the devs, and the more details you give, the more helpful it is. For instance, just saying something is OP and you hate it without any further info isn't useful—plus it's likely to result in equally unconstructive replies and may get locked.

Edit: What Shammoz said :P
Edited by Takralus on 12/04/2013 17:13 BST
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Human Death Knight
12/04/2013 17:05Posted by Shammoz
discuss

vent my frustration

Two entirely different things

This ^.

It can be difficult to strike a balance. Either you post your thoughts in the heat of the moment, or you wait until the frustration has passed - by which time you perhaps don't remember things very clearly.

What I've taken to doing is opening a new tab and organizing my thoughts as best I can before logging into a game / watching something / going out with friends. Hours later I'll stumble across the tab, try and rephrase stuff to come across less emotionally, and then decide whether the end result is worth posting or not.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Hello

A lot is already said. still my 2 cent:

If You feel that You do not get a proper ansver then remember, That to get the right ansver, You need ask the right question. Think about Your question before posting.

If You feel angry be carefull. You need be specific and point out what made You. Remember that not all may think like You, so You need to make Space for other opinions.

The topic You made right here is great.
Reply Quote
86 Night Elf Priest
any advice?

Yes, don't bother trying. If you post something the least bit offensive your thread will be locked. And even if you post a well thought out critique, all the Blizzard fanboys will come troll you out of the thread, and if it's a critique of Blizzard your thread will never see a blue reply.

The only posts you can make which will not get you in "trouble" are meaningless spammy forum games like "[...] the poster above you" etc, in which case you'll get 20 pages of replies and blue comments and so on.
Reply Quote
39 Undead Rogue
be open to posters who may disagree with you and be prepared to discuss it... calmly and constructively.

This is where I slip up quite a bit of the time :P
Reply Quote
29 Gnome Warlock
12/04/2013 19:05Posted by Sogarahn
any advice?

Yes, don't bother trying. If you post something the least bit offensive your thread will be locked. And even if you post a well thought out critique, all the Blizzard fanboys will come troll you out of the thread, and if it's a critique of Blizzard your thread will never see a blue reply.

The only posts you can make which will not get you in "trouble" are meaningless spammy forum games like "[...] the poster above you" etc, in which case you'll get 20 pages of replies and blue comments and so on.

That's a bit too harsh.

Best advice I can give to the OP: it's a tombola, don't try to understand it, be polite to those who are polite (and vice-versa), and just roll with it.
Reply Quote
MVP - WoW, StarCraft II
90 Worgen Druid
And even if you post a well thought out critique, all the Blizzard fanboys will come troll you out of the thread, and if it's a critique of Blizzard your thread will never see a blue reply.

A tad hyperbolic don't you think?

Back in Cataclysm's stage of stagnation, I have posted in and agreed with plenty of threads that were criticisms against the expansion. These threads I participated in also had some blue replies in them trying to address the issues from a company standpoint. I haven't been trolled (that much) by the so-called 'fanboys' you speak of and neither have the OPs in question given the thread's contents were well-justified, but I have been disagreed with in the past. At times I realised my arguments were pretty flawed as well.

There are plenty of people on this board who post constructive critique, and that is perfectly fine. There are also plenty who would agree/disagree and discuss the points that are raised. Often disagreement doesn't necessarily mean they are trolling. Also, there is a difference between posting criticism that is actually well-justified, and posting criticism that is not correct.

You also need to keep in mind that this is a discussion forum. You can make a thread addressing a game issue in a positive or negative light, but there will always be those who do not see eye-to-eye with you on the subject(s) at hand.
Edited by Danellos on 13/04/2013 11:23 BST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
You also need to keep in mind that this is a discussion forum. You can make a thread addressing a game issue in a positive or negative light, but there will always be those who do not see eye-to-eye with you on the subject(s) at hand.

I think that this is a point worth considering, to be honest - a lot of people when they are angry, frustrated and venting mistake disagreement with them as trolling, and when you are that worked up about something, you can often take the slightest little patch of text in entirely the wrong way. I used to post on the PvP forums a year or so ago, and some of my earlier posts were pretty frustrated to say the least, but I think as Doomsinger said, the best thing to do is jot down your thoughts and return to them a bit later on, revise it and make it constructive (or see if it bothers you quite so much!).

12/04/2013 19:09Posted by Corripio
be open to posters who may disagree with you and be prepared to discuss it... calmly and constructively.

This is where I slip up quite a bit of the time :P

@Corripio - I honestly don't ever remember any troll posts from you - quite the opposite (from what I have seen), I like your posts.
Edited by Twijfelkont on 13/04/2013 11:41 BST
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
any advice?

To avoid being angry, try and avoid blocked words CAPS ect...

To avoid a long post that needs to be long looking dull, this is something I have thought about while writing my longer posts.
Firstly, try and use Underline and Bold-Underline to split your passage into categories or sub-categories. This makes it a less daunting read for the reader imo and also lets the reader skip bits that they find irrelevant or uninteresting.
Also I try and include item links in my posts, as these can help the post stand out (with the picture and the different coloured text). Don't go to overboard, but doing this can certainly make your thread stand out as much as Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker meaning more people should pay attention to it and read it!

Hope I helped, this has worked for me thus far (not always but most of the time).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]