Durumu - How to Balance for LFR

90 Human Monk
1) Make the Yellow beam controllable OR have it rotate fast enough to spawn the add wherever it is placed... expecting an entire LFR raid to spot where the yellow spawns and hit it with the cone makes it just a lottery if it will release it or not! most wipes on my runs were caused by Yellow beam simply never releasing the add before next phase!

2) Lower the damage from fog closer to that of what should be expected at LFR level, currently it is possible to do t his boss but i don't think requiring 5-10 players to carry the rest through P2 is fair or balanced

3) Increase the damage taken from Force of will... currently its utterly pathetic compared to the problems it presents in normal (obviously don't put back in the knockback, just make it a bit more punishing!)
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Agree with the yellow beam at least.
i wonder if that was intended to move so slow.

The fog was quite unforgiven, didnt see what it tick for, but my first 2 attempts i had trouble finding where i should be at the start otherwise it's a lost case. But that was a matter of learning the fight and then to execute it.

we killed the boss with about 15 people for the last ~25% nicely though
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
BKB
There's already been a hotfix that leaves the adds up after they're revealed. Also nerfs Eyesore damage iirc.

It probably hasn't hit EU yet though.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
1) Make the Yellow beam controllable OR have it rotate fast enough to spawn the add wherever it is placed... expecting an entire LFR raid to spot where the yellow spawns and hit it with the cone makes it just a lottery if it will release it or not! most wipes on my runs were caused by Yellow beam simply never releasing the add before next phase!

2) Lower the damage from fog closer to that of what should be expected at LFR level, currently it is possible to do t his boss but i don't think requiring 5-10 players to carry the rest through P2 is fair or balanced

3) Increase the damage taken from Force of will... currently its utterly pathetic compared to the problems it presents in normal (obviously don't put back in the knockback, just make it a bit more punishing!)

Force of Will presents problems in normal? That's new to me.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight

I expected some trolling based on title, but nice line of thought. Yellow could spin faster - agreed. And fog damage should still remain relatively high, but allowing players to survive with use of self-heals and cooldowns like currently affliction warlocks and monks can easily do. They'll die if they only dps, or use just some heal, but combining defenses with heals7survivability they can manage. Lowering fog damage slightly would allow same for many other classes too.

Force of will should still make knockbacks :D
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
Ok, i'm getting sick of this, nice idea blizzard BUT, this so called maze on the first boss, Durumu in LFR. I have played with my gfx, low, good, high, custom, gama but I still don't see this maze, I have looked on YouTube and in PTR sometimes the video has a clear maze, others it's non-existent. I have now made the choice to not continue the new raids until blizzard does something with this. I am not saying I want it easy but half the LFR raid doesn't move and get's nuked by the beam, the rest die trying to find the non-existant maze. I would submit a screenshot/s but blizzard don't accept them as evidence since people Photoshop images.

My system is more than enough for the game with a 1 gig nvidia card, 8 gig of DDR3 and a quad core processor. So, can someone tell me these magic settings that some people seem to have that see a perfect maze with nice clean lines.

p.s. The beams are not the problem, I figured out how to use them on my first attempt at the boss, the phase with the maze is what's wiping raids.
Edited by Barbarellá on 05/04/2013 20:33 BST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
Found the clearest vid on YouTube http://youtu.be/MQF7sEwcxaQ but what you see in the maze phase is not what I get on lfr, all I get is fog everywhere and no gaps at all, others are saying the same. Some groups are intentionally wiping as many times as they can to get the most debuff they can for damage reduction.
Edited by Barbarellá on 05/04/2013 21:27 BST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
barbarella, have you tried disabling projected textures ? This actully makes maze clearer. I tested this myself today on LFR. While Ive never had problems with maze, changing this made the openings way more clearer.
Reply Quote
6 Dwarf Priest
05/04/2013 21:24Posted by Barbarellá
Found the clearest vid on YouTube http://youtu.be/MQF7sEwcxaQ but what you see in the maze phase is not what I get on lfr, all I get is fog everywhere and no gaps at all, others are saying the same.

I had the same problem. I also have a nvidia card, not sure if thats related. I could simply not see a maze like how that video on youtube shows it.
The only way I finally managed to stay alive is when we put a raidmarker on a guy who could see it clearly and we just followed him...But all I saw was that we were walking in purple smoke, I never saw a maze.:P
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Force of Will presents problems in normal? That's new to me.

Well if we compare getting hit in LFR to getting hit in normal I'd say it presents pretty significant problems in normal. His point is to teach players through LFR that it can't just be shrugged off completely.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Agreed on the yellow beam, it's just stupid to have the beams up when maze phase starts.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
I think that making the maze more "graphically visible" without changing a single mechanic should solve the issues with this boss.

Seriously, when Blizzard is designing such a boss they should consider the following:
- Many players play with lower graphics settings because their computers have FPS issues at higher settings.
- 10% of males and 1% of females are color blind, so having a maze that's barely visible even for players without color blindness is not a smart idea.
- Make separate options for "friendly spell details" and "harmful spell details" in graphics settings. Seriously, when I turn the spell details to high, I am being spammed by Shamans doing healing rain, druids doing swiftmend, DKs doing death and decay, paladins doing consecration, etc. With all those spells up, it gets harder to see harmful effects. I would rather turn them all off, and see harmful effects clearly. This applies to all bosses.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I'd recommend, aside from making the maze more visible, possible making the "safe zone" larger on LFR (although I imagine that's much harder to add in than a simple numbers tweak), reducing the damage of the black goop significantly, and making the eye beam not be a one-shot mechanic until the maze is fully formed.

The biggest problem with Durumu is that the maze section is completely unintuitive, and if you don't know what to do it's an insta-kill.

There's nothing wrong with one-shot mechanics in LFR, but they should be incredibly obvious, allow plenty of time to react, and preferably not target large parts of the raid at the same time. Hagara's ice stuff in Dragon Soul is a pretty good example. It's slow to form, visually obvious, and if you die to it once you're unlikely to make the same mistake again.

I consider myself a pretty sharp player when it comes to picking up on tactics, but it took me four wipes to realise where I had to stand to avoid the maze of doom (and a fifth one to realise the beam didn't always sweep the same way >.>).

The way this boss has been tuned really bugs me, as the groups I've been in overpower it with the determination buff rather than by picking up on the tactics. It's not because they're bad players, it's because the time it takes to learn what to do results in the buff stacking so much. The maze mechanic is a pretty complex one for LFR already, and making it so confusing to understand and unforgiving when mistakes are made results in a very tiresome experience a lot of the time.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]