The Future of WOW- Next Expansions/classes/races

90 Night Elf Monk
Hey all.

I haven't seen much speculation around for a while about the next expansion(s), and I feel it is always fun to think about what will come in future. I am not a lore expert but I know a fair bit, but if there is anything crucial I have overlooked it would be interesting to know.

So I will lay out my beliefs on what will come from the future expansions.

How many will there be?
*One of the most difficult questions as nobody kills a cash-cow like WOW, so I can't see them stopping for a while
*If they do announce the final expansion, this could have serious repercussions on subscribers as people may be put off by the impending end of the game.
*Based on the levels, 100 would seem to be a good place to end it, 2 more expansions of 5 levels each?
*It would be cool to have another 10 level expansion, especially for a final one, one last lvl grind to the end for everyone
*Lots of the obvious expansion ideas have now been realised, meaning there are fewer options, however I am sure the lore could provide for a fair few more

What will they be?
Emerald Dream
This is the major expansion idea that was always predicted but never came. Some were concerned at the lack of environmental diversity of such a zone but this was also a concern with WOTLK and it worked out fine, and besides, a zone such as the emerald dream is almost a blank slate as far as specific details on environment etc. are concerned.

Overall I think there is a decent chance of the Emerald Dream becoming an expansion, as there are not many obvious options anymore, and I dont think they are ready to take us to the final expansion (discussed below) yet. There is also a fair chance that ED will become part of an expansion or just a single zone/instance.

Final showdown against the burning legion
This has to happen. It is easy to forget, but really the only bad guys in WOW are the Burning Legion, so the natural climax of WOW will be a showdown with them. This would be awesome in many ways, and the new zone and events could be truly epic in scale.
So this expansion is more a question of when than if.

Final showdown between Alliance and horde

It could be argued that this conflict is the one at the heart of WoW, and thus the final showdown of the game should be between these factions. This would not give much of a foundation PvE-wise so this final conflict will probably be a plot-line in the final Burning Legion expansion, with reconciliation between the factions being a possibility.

As you can see, there are not many obvious paths for an upcoming expansion now, which makes such predictions a lot easier.

New Classes
Demon Hunter
This is another banker: DH is going to happen, and its going to be in an expansion focusing on demons. DH is too popular, too prominent lore-wise and too cool to not be a class (hero-class) one day. DH also has nothing to rule it out as many other proposed classes do. It would fit neatly into the game.
So here are my thoughts on DH:
*Mail wearer- DH will wear mail for the simple reason that there are only two mail wearing classes at end game, and once again this fits well with the class
*Pure dps?- Obviously one of the specs will be melee dps, and possibly all three of them will be. However, the likelihood of this is diminished by the fact that Blizz will be reluctant to add a pure dps class (a very popular one) to the game, causing tanks and healers to re-roll dps
*Tank/dps- Fairly likely to have a tank spec as tanks are always useful, however the last 2 classes added have both been tanks, which may cause Blizz to take a break from bringing in new tanks. A DH would not conventionally be considered a tank according to how they have featured in Warcraft so far (being shirtless amongst others), but it is not too much of a stretch
*Dps/tank/healer-
This is also a possibility as it will ensure healthy role balance amongst players. A healing spec at first seems a bit ridiculous, but warlocks have a lot of self-healing abilities, so it would not be too much of a stretch to make a DH healer which relies on some kind of Fel Energy or otherwise demonic form of healing, and with the unique mechanics of a hero class, this could be made to be a very fun and unique.
*Healer/dps- as above, just drop the tank spec, a decent option imo.

Other new classes
To be honest I cannot think of any other obvious choices for new classes, and there is a limit to how many will be added in order to avoid ridiculous complexity and balancing issues.
So I will address some of the propositions people have made in the past, all of which I don't think will be introduced.
*Necromancer- Main reason this won't happen is because of DKs, sorry ppl but not going to happen
*Blademaster- Too niche and minor
*Druid of the fang/talon etc.- To be honest this one may actually have a chance. Snake and other forms are popular amongst wow players, and the druid is a popular class, and also a 3-role hybrid. It could be a hero or a normal class, but the difficulty would be in distinguishing it from regular druids sufficiently.

New Races
Once again, the potential new playable races have been diminished as they have been added to the game, which makes the remaining options more obvious to an extent. There is a very high likelihood that more races will be added, as it is a great way to add freshness to the game without introducing new mechanics.
Naga
Naga are a race which I feel have a great chance to make the game, and I would love to see it. They are a considerable feature in the world of Azeroth and they do not suffer from the 'mindless mob' categorisation that rules out races such as Gnolls and Kobolds from becoming playable.
Naga would be a unique addition to the races of either faction as they are very different from anything currently in-game. They are very popular with fans and Blizz, and they could easily be fitted into the game lore-wise with a new expansion. Just like goblins, it would be a faction of the Naga who will join one of the factions.
*Horde or Alliance?- Based on lore, it would be easier to say they would join the horde due to the Night Elves hatred of naga and the Blood Elves previous alliances with them, as well as the Horde's general tendency to accept anyone who wants in (had to have a little dig at the horde). However, they could go to the Alliance without too much trouble.
*Issues with leg armor- Some people have cited this as a reason that Naga will never be in-game. I think the answer is simple: boots/legs just become a metal band around the naga's tail as is already the case.
*Male/Female roles- I'm not sure if Blizz would ever do this purely due to wanting to let ppl play what they want, but as in the lore, Naga men and women have defined roles, so may be cool if warriors etc. were male only and casters were female only.

Ogres
Ogres have a decent chance to make the game, they are fairly popular and would be easy to implement.
*Horde/Alliance? Once again, Horde would seem to be the better fit. However, as the two most-likely races to make it, they may have to go to the Alliance.
*Similar to the Naga male/female thing, maybe Ogres could have a cosmetic feature that means that casters have two heads and other classes have one.

The others
The remainder vary from very unlikely to quite unlikely as far as their odds go.

*Furbolg- This was a race which was somewhat of a frontrunner amongst speculators in the vanilla days, but now they are only a minor part of the game so it would seem that there opportunity has passed.
*High Elves- Same as above, although they are much more prominent in the game and would be an easy addition. Although they would not be a full-blown 'new race', they would make a lot of people happy, and I think it would be quite cool. Maybe just a small addition that could be made as part of an expansion without the race being central to it.
*Murlocs/gnolls/kobolds- Hmm, Murlocs have the best chance, and it would be fairly cool to have such races in the game, but at the same time it just feels quite unlikely that they will ever get the attention needed to become playable races. Would be somewhat gimmicky to have them playable, which is not always a bad thing.

Predictions
So I will make my predictions for the future:
*An expansion in the Emerald Dream for 90-95s.
*An expansion against the Burning Legion for 95-100s, with DH, Naga and Ogres added.

To be honest I can't see Blizz saving all that for the final expansion, so it could be either way (except the DH). In each expansion and especially the final one, Blizz will want to give serious incentive to lvl from 1-end each time, so I am probably off with that call, it's just I cannot think of what other class/races they will add to balance the gap.

Anyways guys, hope this was an interesting read and any thoughts are welcome:)
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
Just to clear things up, Blizzard will never call an expansion "the last". A company does not end a money making product, and I think wow has many years to go.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
I did mention that aspect, but at the same time, eventually this game will fade into the background as far as MMOs go, so there must be a balance between having an expansion dealing with the Burning Crusade once and for all whilst there is still a big player base, and not finishing the story too early; they are not going to release it when few people play so that most of the player base never get to experience it.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
I would be most surprised if there was a "final showdown" between the Alliance and the Horde, since a lot of people only play one faction, and a lot of people have an irrational hate for the other side. Many of the people on the losing side would be very upset.

Like OP, I am definitely expecting another Burning Crusade-esque expansion, with the main focus on The Burning Legion from the get-go, as opposed to someone like Illidan. This is something I would really appreciate, as well.

More focus on the Old Gods is certainly a possibility as well as an Emerald Dream expansion.

As for actual gameplay, I do not want to see another class added to the game, we have more than enough as it is and at some point the balancing would just be impossible. Right now, we have 34 specs that have to be viable for end-game PvE, high level PvP as well as leveling, and this is clearly already too much for Blizzard to handle. I do think the simplified talent trees was a very clever move though, since it simplifies balancing a great deal as you do not have to worry about any potential Hybrid specs or odd shenanigans (such as Paladins going Protection for healing in WotLK).

I would approve of new races, but not before all of the old ones (pre-Cata) have been updated. I would like to see a more humanoid-like race, as I feel that we have far too many animal- and NPC-like races in the game right now. Goblins, while definitely an interesting race, is not something I personally feel fits too well for a playable race. I feel the same way with Worgen and Pandaren as well. Perhaps I'm just boring. I would not want to see a Naga or an Ogre race. I'd like to see High Elves added to the game, even though they are essentially Blood Elves. That issue did not stop them from adding Worgen.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
18/04/2013 21:30Posted by Retier
I would be most surprised if there was a "final showdown" between the Alliance and the Horde, since a lot of people only play one faction, and a lot of people have an irrational hate for the other side. Many of the people on the losing side would be very upset.

Well, the obvious result of such a showdown would be something that both factions would be happy with, like a reconciliation, possibly after some serious losses to one/both side(s).
Reply Quote
20 Tauren Warrior
I think the next expansion will be about the burning legion.

As Wrathion already has forseen it.

If there was a new class (which would be uncommon, as we got one in the last expac), it surely would be the ever demanded demon hunter, while i still wont know which niche he would fill.

The next expansion will be way more time consuming, more grindy and probably also more difficult, as there are a lot of people demanding the return to vanilla style, and the current attitude of the developers is towards niche game components instead of mass content.

The next expansion will have a lot of daily quests and scenarios again, as both of those seem to be the most easiest (and cheap) way to add new content all 2-3 months.

My wishes:

I would like to see a lot more 5 man dungeons. But probably it wont happen as 5 man dungeons cost too many development resources, and blizzard currently invests a lot of time into developing new products as like titan. Even if the wow team itself is even bigger than ever before, it seems to me the design teams are mainly focused on questing and scenario content, and on large raids as they seem to bring more benefit.
Edited by Schmonz on 18/04/2013 22:26 BST
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
First of all, there will be two more expansions. They confirmed it, don't ask the source; just use google. But these two more expansions may take several years, so yeah, this game has several more years.

Secondly, every topic like this has a suggestion of Demon Hunter as class. Demon Hunters are overrated and that's why it has a strong possibility to happen in next Burning Legion expansion.

Also Naga as a playable race is overrated issue too. But it's most unlikely to be happen because of their past and present allegiences. Very very few Naga doesn't follow Azshara. But something I've encountered in datamining confused me a lot. Appereantly, they already made Nagas as a race that can wear armor and equip different kinds of weapons. Also, Tabards. Pants, Chests etc are looking fit on them. - So leg armor actually fits on them. It's just pants doesn't have legs. It fits on their fishy-taily thing or whatever they call it. And I mean EVERY PIECE of armor fits them if you datamine a little to investigate.

Ogres and High Elves are strong, very strong, possibilities for new races. Rexxar commands some Ogres; High Elves were supporting Alliance for a long long time.

I do believe next expansion will be Kil'jeaden's return. Illidan may come back; He has his own speculations about Requilary Of Souls. - The last one, I don't know. Emerald Dream is unlikely, they wanted to do it earlier, didn't happen. But has it's own possibility.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
First of all, there will be two more expansions. They confirmed it, don't ask the source; just use google. But these two more expansions may take several years, so yeah, this game has several more years.

Secondly, every topic like this has a suggestion of Demon Hunter as class. Demon Hunters are overrated and that's why it has a strong possibility to happen in next Burning Legion expansion.

Also Naga as a playable race is overrated issue too. But it's most unlikely to be happen because of their past and present allegiences. Very very few Naga doesn't follow Azshara. But something I've encountered in datamining confused me a lot. Appereantly, they already made Nagas as a race that can wear armor and equip different kinds of weapons. Also, Tabards. Pants, Chests etc are looking fit on them. - So leg armor actually fits on them. It's just pants doesn't have legs. It fits on their fishy-taily thing or whatever they call it. And I mean EVERY PIECE of armor fits them if you datamine a little to investigate.

Ogres and High Elves are strong, very strong, possibilities for new races. Rexxar commands some Ogres; High Elves were supporting Alliance for a long long time.

I do believe next expansion will be Kil'jeaden's return. Illidan may come back; He has his own speculations about Requilary Of Souls. - The last one, I don't know. Emerald Dream is unlikely, they wanted to do it earlier, didn't happen. But has it's own possibility.

So it would make sense to have Emerald Dream next, and then the Burning Legion expansion after.

No new class next xpac, just new races.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
I hate to break it to the people in this thread but the Burning Legion/Sargeras isn't the final enemy in the Warcraft universe.

The Emerald Dream has also been dealt with in books. I think the logical next step would be to deal with the Naga and Queen Aszhara. Expect an expansion that is spread across Islands and in underwater zones. Kul Tiras, Undermine, Tel Abib, Tomb of Sargeras etc. Further run ins with Old Gods. They even tested some of this out in Cata with the underwater zone. Think naval battles, deep sea exploration, pirates, trolls, naga.
Edited by Ravensfury on 18/04/2013 22:57 BST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
I hate to break it to the people in this thread but the Burning Legion/Sargeras isn't the final enemy in the Warcraft universe.

The Emerald Dream has also been dealt with in books. I think the logical next step would be to deal with the Naga and Queen Aszhara. Expect an expansion that is spread across Islands and in underwater zones. Kul Tiras, Undermine, Tel Abib, Tomb of Sargeras etc. Further run ins with Old Gods. They even tested some of this out in Cata with the underwater zone. Think naval battles, deep sea exploration, pirates, trolls, naga.

Who is then?

Yea that seems fairly logical actually, with the naga being made playable, maybe neutral like pandaren.
Reply Quote
55 Blood Elf Death Knight
Sometimes it's better to stop and make current content look and work good (also to think about details of next exp), instead of just producing more and more low-quality stuff.
Reply Quote
Aslong as i can serve under Rexxar as a Ogre Warrior then i am happy.

As for Azeroth i think we got a big world right now in my opinion Blizzard needs to find a way to keep the storylines going in the world, change the world with phasing. There is not really a need for another Pandaria land. Just change lands Sylvanus might plague more lands. Alliance might cure lands. Races can rebuild lands damage from the cata. I mean there is so mutch story you can develp in the land/zones we currently have there is really nn for more.

Outland and Northend are still not even in the picture they are the same as 6 years ago phasing is the futher of Azeroth if Blizzard really wants to make new zones then i guess they can make a story of Warlocks opening portals toward demon/Legion planets.

Sometimes it's better to stop and make current content look and work good (also to think about details of next exp), instead of just producing more and more low-quality stuff.

We alrdy got Cata exp with the rewarps. race models will be up to date (they work on it)
And that is all the rewarp the game needs in my opinion.

They might even be the faction that will save us from the titans :P since we are not in a perfect world the change is pretty big that we might need to make the choice in the end serve under Sargeras as demons or getting destroyed by the titans to restart the project they started :P
Edited by Trø on 19/04/2013 00:51 BST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
High Elves is not happening. Blizzard wants to focus on new content.

Besides, we don't need a river of elves in the Alliance either.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Enjoyed reading this post.
But I tend to agree with the idea of , focus on content at hand and chill on the future.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Murloc as the new race. Awwww yeah!
Reply Quote
29 Gnome Warlock
I have my doubts on wether the investors etc. will allow WoW to 'end', risking a money-printing machine for another game that may very well follow the usual pattern in the post-WoW era (overhyped as 'WoW-killer', high initial sales, two months down the road mass exodus, and the company that bet the farm on it has plenty of 'resizes')...somehow I don't see that happening.

More likely to me is that they'll get to 100, and then they'll squash the numbers like a kumquat, and essentially start the cycle again (advance from 50 to 55, 55 to 60 etc., till the numbers get too big again and *splat* kumquat time again).
Reply Quote

High Elves can actually make a good race for new content.

Dalaran can return to Eastern Kingdoms. They can turn Alterac Mountains into a starting zone.

They can give High Elfs an other source of power as fell magic.
Like let them drain power of Blue dragons.
We seen Blood Elfs getting changed by fel magic an other source of power might actually turn them more into something else,

Like a crossing between a dragon and a Blood Elfs and poof you got a High Elfs race that dont look same as Blood Elfs with new content and new lore.

I can actually see High Elfs become a playble race there buildings are not the same as the blood elfs, they fit in the world and they have good lore. With the right story and turn of events they dont need to look the same as Blood Elfs they might become something more like Alexstrasza. (horns /tails maybe wings)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk

High Elves can actually make a good race for new content.

Dalaran can return to Eastern Kingdoms. They can turn Alterac Mountains into a starting zone.

They can give High Elfs an other source of power as fell magic.
Like let them drain power of Blue dragons.
We seen Blood Elfs getting changed by fel magic an other source of power might actually turn them more into something else,

Like a crossing between a dragon and a Blood Elfs and poof you got a High Elfs race that dont look same as Blood Elfs with new content and new lore.

I can actually see High Elfs become a playble race there buildings are not the same as the blood elfs, they fit in the world and they have good lore. With the right story and turn of events they dont need to look the same as Blood Elfs they might become something more like Alexstrasza. (horns /tails maybe wings)

That's a pretty cool idea and could work lore-wise.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
I have my doubts on wether the investors etc. will allow WoW to 'end', risking a money-printing machine for another game that may very well follow the usual pattern in the post-WoW era (overhyped as 'WoW-killer', high initial sales, two months down the road mass exodus, and the company that bet the farm on it has plenty of 'resizes')...somehow I don't see that happening.

More likely to me is that they'll get to 100, and then they'll squash the numbers like a kumquat, and essentially start the cycle again (advance from 50 to 55, 55 to 60 etc., till the numbers get too big again and *splat* kumquat time again).

Know what your saying, but this is Blizzard; it's not going to flop like other games. If it did it would be unprecedented.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
what ever the hell of an expansion they'll make, they better add ogres to the horde team!

-Ogres!!!

as for expansions i think there are quite a few still.

Queen Azshara and her Naga, the Burning legion - A.k.a Kil'jaeden and later on Sargeras and the Emerald dream. i could imagine that Sargeras if they ever made an end game boss (which is often unlikely in the genre that WoW is in) then it would be Sargeras. he is the ultimate boss bad !@# baddy boy that there is.

For the Queen Azshara expansion it could be rebel naga factions that would be a playable race or something equal, though there obviously is a problem with naga as playable race. first of all, they have no feet. second of all, they probably work like frogs and murlocs. they can be up from water, but still have to be near it because they need to get wet once in a while. like frogs.

Ogres could possibly join any possible expansion really. and i kind of like ogres...

i want ogres.
Edited by Aparoh on 20/04/2013 00:12 BST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]