Advanced Macro Help!

90 Orc Shaman
Hey guys i was wondering if i could create a targeting arena1-2-3 macro where i can add several #showtooltips, where the tooltip alters depending on which character i am playing, for example it shows block when i am on mage and link when i am on shaman etc. etc.

I would like this as i like to keep a clean UI, and would like to avoid making 5x Tar 1-2-3 macros..
Thanks in advance!
Edited by Senjira on 18/04/2013 04:39 BST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Alternative solution:

Download Dominos, hide action bars that have your abilities and binds on, then make a couple of visible action bars that have all your cooldowns on them.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Hmm.., I'm not sure if I completely understand.

/target [nomod] arena1
/target [mod:shift] arena2
/target [mod:ctrl] arena3
(the modifiers are examples - can be shift, ctrl and/or alt)

You want the tooltip of this macro to be a tooltip, depending on the class you're on? I don't think that is possible with the same macro. I usually choose a tooltip like an arrow or mark for /target123 macro's, they can be found in the tooltip section that pops up when creating a macro.

You could make '<name of character> Specific Macro' for every character. For example, on your Shaman, you could have the macro:

#showtooltip Spirit Link Totem
/target [nomod] arena1
/target [mod:shift] arena2
/target [mod:ctrl] arena3

There is a forum that is purely for Interface and Macro's questions. I know there are some really good people over there that might know a way I don't.
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/874706/

Sorry if I misunderstood your question by the way, feel free to come back to this thread if I did. :)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
So you want 1 icon to show on shaman and another to show on mage?

I think you might be able to do #showtooltip frostbolt, but it will only show for mage, since your shaman obiviously wont have it in its spellbook, and then just add a second like with #showtooltip heroism
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
There is a way to do this I believe, I can link the macro when I get home if I remember. Actually its not a macro but a script.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
abit off topic, but does anybody know how i can make a macro, with a modifier that casts for example ring of peace on me with no modifier but if i press the modifier and the key it will ring of peace my healer
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
abit off topic, but does anybody know how i can make a macro, with a modifier that casts for example ring of peace on me with no modifier but if i press the modifier and the key it will ring of peace my healer

/cast [nomod] Ring of Peace
/cast [mod,@myhealer] Ring of Peace

Edit: change "myhealer" with your healer's name ofc.
Edited by Steady on 18/04/2013 14:31 BST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I think you might be able to do #showtooltip frostbolt, but it will only show for mage, since your shaman obiviously wont have it in its spellbook, and then just add a second like with #showtooltip heroism

It will show the question mark icon as frostbolt is not a known spell for the shaman.

Afaik, there is no way to put different tooltips for different characters.

I would get a "neutral" - not bound to any character - icon for it so you can use it on any class.
Reply Quote
Community
Hey guys i was wondering if i could create a targeting arena1-2-3 macro where i can add several #showtooltips, where the tooltip alters depending on which character i am playing, for example it shows block when i am on mage and link when i am on shaman etc. etc.
Hmm… I might have a somewhat silly way for you to accomplish this.
But hey, as long as it works... right? ;)

So for example, let’s say you put Elixir of Frost Power in the top left slot (first slot) of your Mage’s backpack, and Elemental Flux in the same exact slot of your shaman’s backpack and then you use this macro:

#showtooltip 0 1
/target Arena1

The icon of that macro will change from character to character depending on the item that currently sits on the 1st slot of the backpack.

For reference: in that macro, 0 corresponds to the first bag (backpack) and 1 means first slot of the respective bag.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
For reference: in that macro, 0 corresponds to the first bag (backpack) and 1 means first slot of the respective bag.

Which number/keyword for the spellbook/spell?

something like:

/cast [0 5]

or a conditional statement with character name?
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
18/04/2013 14:30Posted by Steady

/cast [nomod] Ring of Peace
/cast [mod,@myhealer] Ring of Peace

Edit: change "myhealer" with your healer's name ofc.

Thanks
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Hmm… I might have a somewhat silly way for you to accomplish this. But hey, as long as it works... right? ;)

Wow, that solution is hilarious actually. Very creative, Taepsilum!
Edited by Thornass on 18/04/2013 17:58 BST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Hmm… I might have a somewhat silly way for you to accomplish this.
But hey, as long as it works... right? ;)

So for example, let’s say you put Elixir of Frost Power in the top left slot (first slot) of your Mage’s backpack, and Elemental Flux in the same exact slot of your shaman’s backpack and then you use this macro:

#showtooltip 0 1
/target Arena1

The icon of that macro will change from character to character depending on the item that currently sits on the 1st slot of the backpack.

Seems like a cool idea, yet that still leaves a problem if i want a spell like spiritlink totem to be shown in my macro? as i can't have spells in my bagslots.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Cannot try it myself atm, but I think it's possible through adding a short script to your original macro:

/run local G=GetSpellInfo SetMacroSpell("MACRO_NAME", G"SPELL1" or G"SPELL2")

where

MACRO NAME is the name of the macro that should change it's icon for example XYZ if you named macro XYZ

SPELLx is spell by name for example Ice Block

This should require macro use after logging on character to take effect.
Edited by Kazureus on 18/04/2013 18:46 BST
Reply Quote
Community
Cannot try it myself atm, but I think it's possible through adding a short script to your original macro:

/run local G=GetSpellInfo SetMacroSpell("MACRO_NAME", G"SPELL1" or G"SPELL2")

Very nice solution! This does work, thanks for helping out ;)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
This thread is full of wizards :-D
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
What's the most efficient way to write

/run local G=GetSpellInfo SetMacroSpell("target1", G"Wind Shear" or G"Counterspell")
/run local G=GetSpellInfo SetMacroSpell("target2", G"Wind Shear" or G"Counterspell")
/run local G=GetSpellInfo SetMacroSpell("target3", G"Wind Shear" or G"Counterspell")

with as few characters as possible? Would like to use the same script on atleast one more class
Edited by Jarzo on 19/04/2013 19:21 BST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]