Any Hunter's done CM Gold as BM?

90 Blood Elf Hunter
Just a few questions, any Hunter's here done all challenge modes:Gold, as BM?

To my knowledge it's mandatory to spec SV for some of the runs, anyone can prove this wrong/shed any light?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
In 5.3 it should be more viable, however right now there is no reason at all to go BM over SV. 80% of the CM's consist of killing trash, and SV is just so much better at it.
I did go BM for heroism on a few bosses when we were new to CM's, but thats about it.

But if you wanna try it, go ahead. You'll seriously be gimping your output on most parts of the run. As long as you bring an ele shaman you could probably play naked petless BM and still make it, as they are gods in CM's right now.
Edited by Khez on 16/04/2013 10:23 BST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Cheers for the reply

I thought that was the case, I'd prefer doing it as BM, but honestly I don't know if it's going to be possible, we are running as Hunter/Feral/Demo/Destr lock, on trash I'm betting that little bit more output would help a lot.

We only started them a couple of days ago, I managed to do the siege of niuzao temple as BM, we will probably get Scarlet monastery tonight too.

What I'm wondering is what ones do you think will require SV more?

I'm obviously thinking ones with more trash, but what would you say?
Edited by Sttorrm on 16/04/2013 10:49 BST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
I've done all dungeons several times as Survival, however I don't think it's impossible to do as Beast Mastery. The question is more about how experienced you and your group are. There are requirements you need to meet. The final boss in Stormstout needs to die before the healing adds overwhelm you, the AoE damage you need at the start of Shado-Pan Monastery needs to be high enough and annoying trash needs to be burned down in time. My point is, if you and your group can meet those requirements you can play whatever you like.

However looking at your posts it seems like you've only just started them and your group is somewhat inexperienced as well. I think at this point, assuming you want your group to get gold everywhere, you should take all the advantage you can get. Survival just has all the tools needed to make runs quick and smooth. High AoE damage, dots, relatively good single target damage, AoE root and lower cooldown on traps and so forth. I would not recommend going as anything but Survival unless you are quite experienced.

The dungeon where I think Beast Mastery works out the best is Stormstout Brewery. And that dungeon is an AoE-heaven.

EDIT:
Holy typos batman. Just corrected a bunch but I may have missed a few, please ignore those.
Edited by Bovan on 16/04/2013 14:02 BST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Cheers for the reply again,

The dungeon where I think Beast Mastery works out the best is Stormstout Brewery. And that dungeon is an AoE-heaven.
I'm guessing this was another typo?

Considering this place is an AoE-heaven, like you said, wouldn't SV be better?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter

Heh yea, sort of. English is not my main language and while I can normally talk to people without much effort, I can't seem to structure that sentence in a way it makes sense. I tried to re-type it about 5 times now.

What I tried to say was of all dungeons and challenge modes, I think Stormstout Brewery is the best for Beast Mastery Hunters particularly. And even in that dungeon Survival has the upper hand by miles. Point is that I don't see much use in going Beast Mastery anywhere.

I hope that made more sense.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter

Heh yea, sort of. English is not my main language and while I can normally talk to people without much effort, I can't seem to structure that sentence in a way it makes sense. I tried to re-type it about 5 times now.

What I tried to say was of all dungeons and challenge modes, I think Stormstout Brewery is the best for Beast Mastery Hunters particularly. And even in that dungeon Survival has the upper hand by miles. Point is that I don't see much use in going Beast Mastery anywhere.

I hope that made more sense.
Ah, yeah I get you now, thanks

Oh well, looks like I'll have to go learn SV now :P

Cheers again
Reply Quote
2 Orc Warrior
Hey SV is optimal choice for CMs. Even switching to BM before boss isn't worth it, if you don't play BM like pro.

+ aoe cc like ice trap and snake trap helps a lot.
Edited by Krushy on 18/04/2013 08:54 BST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
I did all CM as both SV and BM because my group didn't have a mage or shaman, so i was respeccing before some bosses, but i think you can do it with every spec if your group is good enough.
Anyway SV is so much better for both trash aoe and bosses, the only boss i did really need to go BM was last boss of SSB.
Gold are easy enough to be done with every spec, if you are not going for best times.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
it fully depends on your comp. apart from mandatory buffs like ancient hysteria you'll want to adapt to your group's AoE power. if there's already plenty for it, go for BM. you need to be able to time your BWs well during trash so that it's always ready on bosses. a BM's single target burst on bosses is insane compared to SV and after a double BW sequence most bosses should fall. this can be worth a lot, it's not only trash that needs to fall quickly. bosses need to die fast too and they are often underestimated.

of course, as soon as your group lacks AoE damage, SV is the way to go but it might change in 5.3.

as an example, we ran CMs with two hunters and a mage, so one went SV and one BM for most CMs.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
Whoa back up just a little bit, Bloodlust and the likes really aren't mandatory at all in challenge modes. Don't get me wrong it's great to have but the time you lose by switching or doing low damage on trash certainly doesn't make up for it. You don't win time by killing bosses quickly, you win time by AoEing trash down while advancing. We actually got several server firsts without Bloodlust. Now this doesn't say much as I'm sure the times are still horrible compared to the world top 5 groups, but hey.

Me and a different Hunter tested this, I stayed Survival and he respecced to Beast Mastery before certain bosses like the last boss in Stormstout Brewery. The end result in our damage was close to the same with me being very slightly ahead of him. And the difference certainly isn't player skill, as he's much more experienced in challenge modes and can pull the exact same numbers as me in raids. If anything he had the advantage by having a special set of gear with lots of gem slots while I used my regular PvE gear.

If you have to carry 2 low DPS group members and the boss stays alive long enough, you could consider switching to Beast Mastery on the final boss in Stormstout. But if your group members can actually push a button every 10 seconds it's just not worth it. I wish I could play something that isn't Survival, but it's just ahead by leaps and bounds. If you want a middle group between better single target and okay AoE, go Marksmanship.
Edited by Bovan on 19/04/2013 15:33 BST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
A few days later, and we got full gold

After respecing SV I noticed a remarkable change on AoE, It's just far more easier for dealing with trash, the single target isn't that far off from BM either.

The only boss I was BM for except temple was the last one in SSB, still though, BM for life <3

Anyway cheers for anyone that gave any advice.
Edited by Sttorrm on 23/04/2013 05:53 BST
Reply Quote
2 Orc Warrior
Hey well done. BM is nice and fun to play but its not designed for 5 man dungeons. As previous pros said, you wont see big diffrence even on single target fights (maybe noticable with readness, but i doubt). Hero maybe isn't requiared for golds, but for pro groups. For pps who fight with timer, hero/bloodlust is still needed.

Trash and dealing with it is most challanging part of cms, so like we said basicly there is no other option than SVfor hunter.
Edited by Krushy on 23/04/2013 18:26 BST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]