Ask the devs. Possible PvP change 5.3

1 Dwarf Warrior
Quoted from http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/blog/8043620/Ask_the_Devs_%E2%80%94_53_PTR_Edition-19_04_2013

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Question - (Ayatrolla, Aegwynn); (Monklighter, Sanguino); (Дертрок, Ревущий фьорд); (Zergul, Nethersturm):
With the changes to PvP gear and resilience in 5.3, how is it that you plan for World PvP to work so that PvE gear won’t be overly dominant?

Answer - (Systems Design Team):
Fully geared Conquest gear gives you about 60% PvP Power, which translates to 60% more damage. Wearing such gear, you will have a significant advantage over the LFR-geared player, have a moderate advantage over the normal-geared player, and should be pretty competitive with a Heroic raid–geared player—they may have more survivability, but you might do more damage. Statistically, Heroic-geared raiders are a very small percentage of WoW players, so you’re unlikely to even encounter them out in the world. If you do, the outcome will likely come down not to small gear disparities, but who is more skilled at PvP, who got the jump on whom, and which side outnumbers the other.

World PvP is inherently unfair, which is also part of its charm, compared to structured Arenas and Battlegrounds. (Imagine for a moment world PvP with gates that opened after a shared countdown!) Overall we think the gear changes we’re talking about will be a good improvement for organized PvP, without causing much or any harm to world PvP.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heroic raiders will be able to do RBG and arena but I don't see how that is fair to equally dedicated PvPers as they can't just go into a heroic raid and be on par or possibly outshine people in heroic gear in their PvP gear, PvP power does nothing for PvE. Keeping in mind that this is PTR this may not go ahead but most things are just implemented then fixed later in some patch *cough* 5.4 *cough*
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Dude, l2read.
The heroic PVE gear only keeps it's iLevel in world pvp, in arena and BG they will be downscaled to 496 I believe, which is the same iLevel as the pvp items, but pvp items have pvp power and as such will be much much better.
Reply Quote
Community
That is referring to world PvP. In world PvP, those in full Conquest gear "should be pretty competitive with a Heroic raid–geared player—they may have more survivability, but you might do more damage." In instanced PvP, such as Arena and Battlegrounds the player in PvP gear will have an upper hand, and the player with PvE gear has the better equipment for dungeons and raids.

I hope this clears that up, the devs are referring to world PvP specifically and not PvP in general.
Edited by Nakatoir on 22/04/2013 13:16 BST
Reply Quote
81 Orc Hunter
they may have more survivability, but you might do more damage.

you might do more damage

22/04/2013 13:14Posted by Nakatoir
might
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Tublat what's your point?

I can still rock the pants off of those PvE'ers even if their gear might make them do more damage.

Besides, the survivability point is true as far as stamina goes, but as soon as we start talking about self-healing, I'm pretty sure I have a rather sizeable advantage there.
Edited by Ishaye on 22/04/2013 13:23 BST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
Someone could answer me, when WPvP were balanced?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
22/04/2013 13:18Posted by Tublat

you might do more damage

might

This, so much!

I laughed :)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
  • So hardcore PvP players will be better in PvP situations, but hardcore PvE players will still be able to function (PvE ilvl will be scaled down, but there's equal resilience).
  • Hardcore PvE players will be better in PvE situations, but PvP players will still be able to function (pvppower doesn't count to ilvl budget).
  • Hardcore PvE players and hardcore PvP players will be roughly equal to eachother in a neutral situation (open world is PvE questing or PvP ganking).
  • Sounds almost... fair?

Also Ishaye had a good point: PvPPower will also count towards healing. This means PvE players might have more stamina but less selfhealing than PvP players, which should give more equal survivability.
    Edited by Wisear on 22/04/2013 17:43 BST
    Reply Quote
    90 Orc Death Knight

you might do more damage

might

they may have more survivability

may
    Reply Quote
    85 Human Death Knight
    That is referring to world PvP. In world PvP, those in full Conquest gear "should be pretty competitive with a Heroic raid–geared player—they may have more survivability, but you might do more damage." In instanced PvP, such as Arena and Battlegrounds the player in PvP gear will have an upper hand, and the player with PvE gear has the better equipment for dungeons and raids.

I hope this clears that up, the devs are referring to world PvP specifically and not PvP in general.

Wasn't the whole idea of PvP power to level the playing field? Basically PvP gear will add more survival and more damage compared to PvE gear against players.
    Perhaps the set bonus for PvE or trinkets might be a bit daunting. Although I can only imagine what the defaulting of Resilience will do to PvP/PvE gear balancing.

I suspect bad things.
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Rogue
    They should leave everyone with 40% damage reduction baseline and only get 65% if u have 10+ pvp gear items.
    Edited by Spuw on 22/04/2013 19:15 BST
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Paladin
    They should leave everyone with 40% damage reduction baseline and only get 65% if u have 10+ pvp gear items.

That would defeat the purpose of the change in the first place, though. It's supposed to make PvE not as useless as it is now in PvP situations, while PvP gear functions quite okayish in PvE situations.
    Reply Quote
    90 Night Elf Hunter
    22/04/2013 17:58Posted by Sporck

may

Man you crack me up!
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Paladin
    Why should even PvE gear be more viable on a PvP realm, wPvP-wise? It makes no sense at all.
    Reply Quote
    7 Goblin Shaman

you might do more damage

might

Theres nothing else to be said in this post.
    Reply Quote
    90 Worgen Warrior
    Why should even PvE gear be more viable on a PvP realm, wPvP-wise? It makes no sense at all.

Because there are plenty of PVErs on PVP realms, doing various PVE activities like daily quests, world bosses or farming. Some of them, or I should say us, don't have time or will to farm pvp gear, but would like to get at least fighting chance against pvp geared players when ganked. PVP has been disconnected from PVP for such a long time, it is a good moment to connect them back at least a little.
    Reply Quote
    55 Human Death Knight
    This really isn't anything to complain about. As long as the gear (and trinkets!) is downscaled it will be useless in arena.

If you have full heroic gear for world pvp, chances are you most likely don't pvp so you'll still lose hard because you don't have a clue.
    Edited by Rinoax on 23/04/2013 08:39 BST
    Reply Quote
    90 Draenei Shaman

but you might do more damage

So to sum it up you are telling us that you really don't know? Forgive me for being rather serious about this but if for example in Science someone claimed that they may or might be correct about something and then offer it as full proof and assume it clears everything up they would be laughed out of the building. So please tell me why we should accept unclear and possibly incorrect answers from the people who are supposed to know these things because it is their job?
    Reply Quote
    90 Troll Druid
    25/04/2013 10:24Posted by Réth

but you might do more damage

So to sum it up you are telling us that you really don't know? Forgive me for being rather serious about this but if for example in Science someone claimed that they may or might be correct about something and then offer it as full proof and assume it clears everything up they would be laughed out of the building. So please tell me why we should accept unclear and possibly incorrect answers from the people who are supposed to know these things because it is their job?

Wether PvP geared player does more damage than PvE geared player depends on the class and spec(34 different variations), talents(11 x 3^6 different variations). There is already 272646 different variations, not including the target the damage is done to(may alter the result), different levels of gear (in simplefied world malevolent, tyrannical, S12 PvE tier, S12 Heroic PvE tier, S13 PvE tier, S13 Heroic PvE tier, S13 Heroic thunderforged tier etc) nor the damage rotation player uses. Gemming, enchanting and reforging might also heavily alter results.

That being said what did you expect? Him posting an 25 000 cell - excel spreadsheet of all these different variations with calculations and an clear "yes or no" after each column?
    Edited by Metsämaija on 25/04/2013 11:33 BST
    Reply Quote
    90 Draenei Shaman
    That being said what did you expect? Him posting an 25 000 cell - excel spreadsheet of all these different variations with calculations and an clear "yes or no" after each column?

That would have been lovely, but I am well beyond assuming that will happen. I would however appreciate a verified yes or no answer and links to a source that backs up his statement.
    Edited by Réth on 25/04/2013 12:47 BST
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]