Vanilla WoW players - Don't you miss the difficulty?

90 Human Priest
I'm sure i'm not alone with my fellow Vanilla WoW players when I say WoW was the best when content was very difficult. Unfortunately, the game is getting easier as Xpacs go on, and it really sucks to see the once super competitive and difficult game just becoming a cakewalk for most of the guilds... Not even just PVE... Who likes to sit there in 10-15 minute long arena games because WoW PVP is nothing but sitting there trying to mow down someone recieving endless amounts of heals...

I know blizzard wanted more people to experience content and whatnot, but is that really the right direction ? making the game incredibly easy, taking away the epicness of every encounter you face? I'm just curious to what you guys think, and do you think we will just see content becoming easier and easier in future expansions ?

EDIT: Alot of people seem to think I was talking about vanilla WoW only, I was only using that as a reference to those who have experienced all the expansions leading up to this one. We all can definitely agree vanilla WoW was a grind fest, but the raiding was more difficult compared to how it is now. I was mainly thinking of the difficulty of BC and WOTLK , and how raiding is a joke in cata and MOP.
Edited by Zothia on 10/05/2013 01:01 BST
MVP - WoW, StarCraft II
90 Worgen Druid
There was no real difficulty on the most part with Vanilla as far as gameplay is concerned. It was only perceived as being difficult because getting somewhere in the game required a great deal of grinding. i.e. the game was a timesink.

Levelling was harder, but that's it really.

And no, before someone goes policing my Armory, I did not play in Vanilla. I started off in TBC, but I know enough people who actually played Vanilla to have a clear picture of what it was like.
Edited by Danellos on 09/05/2013 15:56 BST
90 Draenei Warrior
Only hard thing in vanilla was leveling, and by "hard" I mean it took ages, and involved hours of just running around finding quests (also fun times leveling a melee shammy in vanilla.. spam autoattack and cast lightning bolt up to level ~40).

Vanilla was just grindy as heck, it wasn't really hard. after that, leveling came a bit easier but then again TBC took the grind to totally ridiculous extremes (and no, it wasn't really "hard" either), which sucked epicly... I'm glad we are mostly over that (vanilla/TBC) design by now.
Edited by Siedel on 09/05/2013 16:02 BST
87 Goblin Hunter
There was no real difficulty on the most part with Vanilla as far as gameplay is concerned. It was only perceived as being difficult because getting somewhere in the game required a great deal of grinding. i.e. the game was a timesink.

This is true. Another thing that could have been percieved as a bump in difficulty in the original game was that the rotations were generally less obvious resulting in more people doing it wrong. And if you did it wrong your mage would have to drink most every big pull while leveing. Learned that the hard way when I didn't know my fire mage's rotation. Same can be said about today I suppose but rotations are more accessable now with even your spell book telling you your core abilities for your spec. Resulting in less noobing and more instant pew pew'ing for newcomers.
Edited by Gobos on 09/05/2013 15:59 BST
90 Human Priest
Well , yeah, but I don't mean just Vanilla specifically, it was more for gathering people who I knew witnessed all the content up until now :P
Whilst I agree Vanilla wasn't very difficult, but more of a huge grind, but BC and WOTLK was absolutely amazing: BT/Sunwell, Ulduar Hard Modes? getting a realms first boss kill on some of the hardest bosses the game has ever seen? i'd do anything to go back
82 Worgen Druid
Classic WoW wasn't hard at all. It was tedious and grindy and if you weren't able to raid you had nothing to do, but grind some more.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Difficulty? I don't remember it being hard. Long, long grinds yeah, difficult no? Not unless you mean difficult to keep yourself from dying of boredom?
90 Human Warrior
It wasn't really difficult, it was just new and different so it took longer to learn it. I'm fairly confident I could level a character from 1-60 on a vanilla server (if one existed) in about 90 percent less time than it took me back then simply due to what I know about the game now. While I don't believe vanilla servers will ever happen, I could be proven wrong and get a chance to test this theory should the subscriber base drop say another 2 or 3 million.
90 Human Priest
Not really because honestly I don't remember any difficulty. I think a lot of it is the way we look back on things.

Was it difficult to farm a winterspring tiger? No it was time consuming.
Was it difficult to kill the undead quest raid boss in Eastern Plaguelands? No. You just needed to get a bunch of other people who wanted to do it together.
Was it difficult to clear BRD or Scholo? No, you just needed people who knew what CC's they had and when to use them. And have a few hours spare.
Was it difficult to clear Molten Core? No. You just needed the majority of people to pay attention to the tactics. Others could and did AFK more than half of it.

The only real difficulty I remember back then was doing the priest benediction quest without a decurse addon. Most of it was just time consuming and grindy. AFAIK heroic 10 raids right now are harder than most all of the vanilla raid bosses.
Edited by Vickii on 09/05/2013 20:58 BST
90 Blood Elf Rogue
I really want vanilla servers just to deport your vanilla asses to! Times changed dude!
90 Worgen Mage
So, basically, what all these Vanilla people want is--Tetris.
As a very hardcore raider from vanilla I can honestly say i am so glad vanilla is in the past, raiding was a job not entertainment, grinding rep was pain that took months, vanilla was just one massive time sync grind with very little payback

the game is so much more casual / semi casual player friendly now

although i miss the Rhok'delar quest line
Edited by Prandard on 09/05/2013 21:12 BST
90 Human Mage
Why do you miss the Rhok'delar quest line tho? As all the above posters have mentioned with the utmost accuracy ,there wasnt anything remotely difficult in vanilla.
72 Human Paladin
This thread absolutely representates my first thought when I logged into the game yesterday for the first time in years;

'wtf is this'

There is absolutely not ANY challenge in ANYTHING you do in this game, that's what it feels like now.

Really, people, PLEASE, I beg you, don't say there was no difficulty in Vanilla, the whole damn game was one big massive adventure compared to what it is now. EVERYTHING was more difficult, from mining a friggin mineral node to endgame raiding, compare running Scholomance back then to doing those pushover dungeons today, wtf I was actually sapping mobs (which even took skill because you had to stand almost next to them) last night I did a dungeon and nobody died in the entire run, lol I never saw someone's health drop below 90% while we just zerged through it without any CC, ninja pulling, button spamming, healer afk, WHAT THE HELL!

Please, don't say Vanilla wasnt more challenging. You just make yourself look like a total idiot getting paid by Blizzard to post false information on the forums in order to keep angry customers happy.
90 Blood Elf Rogue
It is just vanilla people trying to be special when they long for a goldenage. All it says is you were not there, I am better.
90 Human Priest
09/05/2013 21:49Posted by Chaosmakerr
Really, people, PLEASE, I beg you, don't say there was no difficulty in Vanilla, the whole damn game was one big massive adventure compared to what it is now. EVERYTHING was more difficult, from mining a friggin mineral node to endgame raiding,

That wasn't difficult though. You remember it as difficult but it wasn't.

Back then it was new. You didn't know what you were doing. There weren't any in-game instructions, guides were harder to find and you learnt as you progressed.

Mineral nodes were as difficult then as they are now. Click on them. Or maybe you had to click on pick, can't remember.

Endgame raiding is harder now than it is in Vanilla. Your armory shows you don't raid end game, so unless you have another account thats done all the heroics, your opinion isn't an educated one.

It felt like an adventure because it was new. If you were to start WoW as a fresh player right now, it would feel like a big adventure too. Unfortunately you cannot bring back your first time.

TL;DR You are confusing being a newbie with being difficult.
90 Blood Elf Warrior
I miss the sense of danger that even regular enemies provided. Back then you needed to plan ahead and remain careful not to pull more than one - or perhaps two - enemies at the same time, especially at lower levels.

I would respectfully disagree with those who claim that it was not harder back then because the game mechanics that existed served to increase the difficultly quite a bit, nor was it simply a case of things being time consuming.
90 Human Priest
09/05/2013 20:56Posted by Vickii
Was it difficult to clear BRD or Scholo? No, you just needed people who knew what CC's they had and when to use them.
Compared with the current set of dungeons that kind of thing would almost certainly be seen as "difficult" now. Any content requiring CC or needing to avoid boss/mob mechanics currently seems to be classified as something which only serious/hardcore raid guilds do.
56 Night Elf Priest

And no, before someone goes policing my Armory, I did not play in Vanilla. I started off in TBC, but I know enough people who actually played Vanilla to have a clear picture of what it was like.

That's exactly like saying you know what a film is going to be like because you know enough people who have seen it. With all due respect its likely that raiding at the high end is harder now but Vanilla wow had plenty of tough fights for up and coming guilds, fex they didn't call Vael the guild killer for nothing + a raid instance that only 1% of the player base ever cleared.

Vanilla was just different in terms of class mechanics and crucially gave players the ability to shine/stand out in the crowd. Players in todays raids are just another number.
90 Human Priest
a raid instance that only 1% of the player base ever cleared.r.

The thing about that though was mostly the release date of it was close to TBC launch, and the inaccesibility of raiding at the time meant most people weren't raiding any higher than MC/BWL.

If a raid at the exact same difficulty level as Naxx was released tomorrow, it would be cleared far far quicker than Naxx was. The hardest thing I could see about Naxx was having 40 people with the gear to kill anything in there.

The hardest thing about vanilla raiding was the organization, preparation, resi gear, 40 people etc etc. Once you got it, most of it went smoothly.
Edited by Vickii on 09/05/2013 23:16 BST
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]