Flameglow

90 Undead Mage
This is an ability everyone is saying is OP.

I don't see it, so could anyone please clarify what is so disturbingly overpowered about this passive defensive ability?

Tooltip currently on my alt Mage:

Flameglow
Passive
Protects you with fiery energy, absorbing 3,591 damage from each attack against you (up to a maximum of 30% of the attack).

Okay, okay, I get how this could kill damage from classes like Affliction Warlocks.

But what about (for example) a 90k Ambush? It's 3,591 damage, does it even manage to absorb 30% of the attack?

So what, it becomes a 87k Ambush instead?

Could someone clarify how this is OP and why I should take it over Frost Barrier?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
To kill damage of affliction warlock.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Undispellable, extra damage reduction at all times, good vs dots no need to worry about cd's, uptime etc., - it's always up.

Go test how much it absorbs in the time your ice barrier would come off cd, if it absorbed more.

Barrier feels like having extra health, but flameglow feels like your health is dropping fast, but actually it's a little less than it would with barrier, barrier is destroyed = you take full damage, barrier dispelled, you take full damage.

If barrier becomes undispellable, then flameglow will not be taken...
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
What about smaller hits like melee rogue damage? 30% of that gets absorbed too.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
unless you have the dispel protection from a resto druid or a disc priest, barrier will always be dispelled so flameglow will be better i guess
Reply Quote
Because a passive 30% damage reduction vs any hit lower than 14-15k when you gem full int means you're very very easy to heal, can play much more offensively and it's ontop of all the other defensives mages have. It also means gemming full int (and offensive stat) gives quite a nice bit of damage reduction which no other spec has.

That and the fact it's up constantly and needs no input from the mages part whilst severely reducing any sort of consistent pressure the opposition team may have.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Because it is a passive that reduces damage taken by 30% for a lot of the sustained pressure of any given class. A comprehensive list of things which get heavily mitigated would be (not limited to):
- dk diseases and autoattacks, deathcoils notcrit for 20k still get reduced a lot
- mage nether tempest, pet attacks
- warlock dots, like anything affliction does, most attacks from demonology (imp bolts, hits from the felguard/wraithguard), immolation ticks, fel flames.
- warrior deep wounds and autoattacks, overpowers
- enhancement shamans autoattacks, flame dot, many noncrit attacks
- hunter most attacks except a select few during cooldowns
- rogue autoattacks, poisons, bleeds
- feral druid bleeds, autoattacks, many noncrit attacks outside of cooldowns
- elemental shamans flame shocks, and generally almost all damage outside of cooldowns
- shadow priest dots, mindflay, shadowfiend/mindbender attacks, noncrit mindblasts outside of cooldowns
- insert more attacks that generally don't excede 40k damage here.

There you go, you gain a 10%-to-30% mitigation against all that stuff. This being on top of the mitigation you already get from your armors. And as Korzul said, it also requires no input on the mage's behalf. Flameglow is a premanent defensive stance which turns out to be better most of the game then defensive stance is atm and has no drawback except for the opportunity cost of losing the ice barrier.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
I don't understand. You play a mage - all you had to do was try this talent out to see for yourself ludicrous it is.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
I don't understand. You play a mage - all you had to do was try this talent out to see for yourself ludicrous it is.

lol yup, after taking this talent i never die, because it was always the small 5k-10k hits that were killing me, not the 100k eviscerates / obliterates.

yup
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
I tried playing with this for a while against all comps, then switched to playing with it only vs 2x offensive dispellers, now I just never take it. It just doesn't feel as good, with ice barrier you can often use it just before big damage is incoming and save your !@# in that way, while with flameglow you will have to block earlier if healer is ccd etc. But maybe I'm gemming wrong (pvp power).
Reply Quote
I only use it vs stuff like shadowplay, unholyplay etc personally, I dont think its super op vs anything else
Reply Quote
Community
09/05/2013 23:42Posted by Mírion
We recently made a change on the 5.3 PTR to make it so that the max absorb value equals to 15% of the mages spellpower, but no more than 30% of the total damage of the incoming attack.

So let's say a mage has 21000 spell power, Flameglow will absorb no more than 30% of the incoming attack up to the amount of 3150 damage . We hope that this change will make it so the talent continues to be attractive, but not so powerful against characters who hit more often but for less damage. Please feel free to provide us with any feedback you have about this change :)
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock

Flameglow
Passive
Protects you with fiery energy, absorbing 3,591 damage from each attack against you (up to a maximum of 30% of the attack).

I believe this is the tooltip on wowhead. Ingame it should be more damage like 5k or im wrong.
And it's not so powerful because you absorb that roughly 4k damage off 90k or more rogue crit, but it's from every other attack (including melee damage which rogues do quite alot)

Most top mages are using it all the time. For example check rank1 mages atm on Blackout and Mistery.

And there it is, the list Qtxoxo posted.
Edited by Drakelezisa on 10/05/2013 16:06 BST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Death Knight
10/05/2013 15:59Posted by Nakatoir
We recently made a change on the 5.3 PTR to make it so that the max absorb value equals to 15% of the mages spellpower, but no more than 30% of the total damage of the incoming attack.

So let's say a mage has 21000 spell power, Flameglow will absorb no more than 30% of the incoming attack up to the amount of 3150 damage . We hope that this change will make it so the talent continues to be attractive, but not so powerful against characters who hit more often but for less damage. Please feel free to provide us with any feedback you have about this change :)

I am impressed. Really like that!:)
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest

Flameglow
Passive

I believe this is the tooltip on wowhead. Ingame it should be more damage like 5k or im wrong.
And it's not so powerful because you absorb that roughly 4k damage off 90k or more rogue crit, but it's from every other attack (including melee damage which rogues do quite alot)

Most top mages are using it all the time. For example check rank1 mages atm on Blackout and Mistery.

And there it is, the list Qtxoxo posted.

Also need to remember that ice barrier is often skipped since it's so easy to dispell. (just wanted to add that, nothing more)
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

Going to try it on PTR tomorrow I guess. :)
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
10/05/2013 12:03Posted by Freshfreefly

lol yup, after taking this talent i never die, because it was always the small 5k-10k hits that were killing me, not the 100k eviscerates / obliterates.

yup

Sigh random butthurt bad mage misinterpreting because he can't play the game.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage

Flameglow is a premanent defensive stance which turns out to be better most of the game then defensive stance is atm and has no drawback except for the opportunity cost of losing the ice barrier.

Flameglow is far away from Defensive Stance. Defensive Stance takes 15% off from everything, Flameglow takes ~4.5k off at maximum.

100k hit - Defensive Stance 15% = 85k
100k hit - Flameglow 4.5k = 95.5k

10/05/2013 15:59Posted by Nakatoir

It's a good nerf, Flameglow would have gone out of hands with coming PvP Power buff for DPS classes and the fact that intellect will be the gemmed stat next patch. Right now my alt mage with every single proc can get almost 40k SP, resulting in a huge Flameglow defensives when they're up.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
It's 20% of spellpower right now, right?
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest

Flameglow is a premanent defensive stance which turns out to be better most of the game then defensive stance is atm and has no drawback except for the opportunity cost of losing the ice barrier.

Flameglow is far away from Defensive Stance. Defensive Stance takes 15% off from everything, Flameglow takes ~4.5k off at maximum.

100k hit - Defensive Stance 15% = 85k
100k hit - Flameglow 4.5k = 95.5k

Except you already have a built-in defensive stance from your armor, before flameglow. So this is extra. Anyway, yes if we're just talking about the 100k hit, yes its worst. But then again, check recount for most classes on target dummy and see which are infact the highest damage abilities: deathcoils + diseases, feral bleeds, deep wounds, poisons + autoattacks, and so on. All these get mitigated higher then def stance. All in all, mages actually have a double def stance right now.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]