[RP]Pros and Cons of each races RP

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Good morning (Or afternoon if that is what the time is where you are), as I`m sure many of you know, blizzard blessed us this week and tommorow with half price race/faction changes! and i`m sure many of you have taken advantage of it by changing that useless character of yours into a brand spanking new toon to RP with. I myself have a warrior toon level 90 I am considering changing from worgen into something a little more exciting, but I simply dont have a clue when it comes to certain races RP like trolls, tauren and pandaren!

So to solve my problem, as well as hopefully give some others an idea of what the pros and cons are of each race, I made this little thread, simply copy and paste the template and then fill in the pros, and then the cons, simple right?

Pros

Human:
Dwarf:
Night Elf:
Gnome:
Draenei:
Worgen:
Pandaren(Alliance):

Orc:
Troll:
Tauren:
Forsaken:
Goblin:
Pandaren(Horde):

Cons

Human:
Dwarf:
Night Elf:
Gnome:
Draenei:
Worgen:
Pandaren(Alliance):

Orc:
Troll:
Tauren:
Forsaken:
Goblin:
Pandaren(Horde):
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Blood Elf pro: RP an ancient race with a lot of interesting lore and a fascinating homeland.
Another pro: Very good ties with the Draenei, and thus opportunity for cross-faction RP.

Con: The rest of the Horde hates you and treats you as weak.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Hunter
Goblin pro: You're one of the most sly and dangerous races hidden in a small, green body.

Goblin con: You are basically reduced to wacky and zany sidekick.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
Pros
Human: VERY diverse. They can fit almost most any role and can be the most good and evil of people.

Dwarf: Also quite diverse, but I find they generally make RP a lot more comedic in terms of their often merry outlook.

Gnome: If you're RPing a smart, technological character then a gnome is the best Alliance race for it. Nobody will question your engineering knowledge or wisdom and is a safe choice for mages.

Worgen: Rping a vicious, muscular warrior who can turn into a wolf-man? You came to the right place. Physical based characters like soldiers and rogues do well with this race, I find.

Draenei: Kind and pious characters are often well represented through this race. If you're after a malevolent character then stray far from this race.

Pandaren(Alliance): Comedic and lighthearted are what come to mind when I see Pandaren characters. If you're after a funny and easy-going setting, then you'll need one of these guys.

Orc:
Troll: Tribal RP. It's so unique and awesome that you will have to go troll to fully experience it. Possibly the best pro of any class.

Tauren: Similar to worgen in the sense that a physical character will do well picking a tauren. This is possibly the strongest playable race in the game.

Forsaken: Ah, my personal favourite. A forsaken is very diverse, like a human, but has that added bonus and curse of undeath. You're immune to a lot of things and normal wounds like stabs and slashes won't take you down. However, you gotta play fairly!

Goblin: Another very unique race, especially if you're after a rich character who focuses on commerce. However, I find due to the goblins' moral outlook, they can also be very diverse and can infact be just as good as any other race and definitely as bad.

Pandaren(Horde): A nice relief from all the serious and moody orcs, the Horde pandaren bring with them a peaceful and calm outlook which makes a great contrast to the other races' blood-lust and war loving attitudes.

Blood Elf: Magic, age and ego. You can be a powerful wizard, and old scribe or an agile swashbuckler. It's all there! Don't forget the lax rules on demonology and fel! Suck that green stuff all day, kid!

Cons
Human: Humans tend to be the most volatile of races, from what I have seen and the most violent on the Alliance. Crime and poverty is a direct fault of the humans and barely seen anywhere else with other races. They also tend to be the most frivolous and emotional.

Dwarf: Dwarfs are at risk of being very Mary Sue. I have seen way too many alcoholic and drunken characters who blacksmith and just have the same personality. It's hard to find a unique dwarf but that can be forgiven due to Mary Sue dwarfs being awesome anyway.

Night Elf: A love for nature and peace will often play a strong part in RP, if you're after a traditional kaldorei character. There is also the risk of being a city elf and I'm looking at you female night elf rogues. Not enough male Rpers, I find.

Gnome: Sometimes being tech-savvy leaves you vulnerable to the unknown, especially in regards to physical combat. Machines are all well and good until a few angry orcs or a small group of bandits descends on you. Being small has its pros, but also cons. You don't want to get squashed.

Draenei: Piousness has a limit and sometimes gets boring. Being a non-religious draenei is rare but often played badly, which I guess is why most people avoid that. Also, there are way too many female players who tend to be lesbians. I'm looking at you, certain large draenei guild.

Worgen: Prone to the some of the worst RP known to man, pack worgens tend to be horrible, boring and lore-rapists. However, in terms of lore, worgen are vulnerable of being feral. They are also a point of distrust, or should be, even if they're in control.

Pandaren(Alliance): Sometimes they act a bit too much like chinese dwarves.

Orc: Far too many Mary Sue orcs. I have yet to find an orc with a unique personality or outlook. It's all just rage, smash, roar and snarl. C'mon, guys. Be original. However, angry orcs are almost a cornerstone of Horde RP and make a nice contrast with other races.

Troll: Perhaps being too traditional can cause a rift between characters, especially when a lot of trolls hate everything. However, you don't have to be traditional and ritualistic, it's just that those kind of trolls might dislike you (IC) for not being so. Trolls can be very conservative.

Tauren: The bigger they are, the harder they fall! Also, tauren tend to be too honourable which can cause trouble when achieving a goal. Probably why they do not have rogues!

Forsaken: Light hurts and hurts bad. Also, you'll be needing some nice shadow magic to heal your wounds or your bottom jaw which keeps falling off when riding a wolf. Sometimes it's hard to find a shadow priest when you're surrounded by shamanstic horde, unless you're in a forsaken guild!

Goblin: Perhaps being too self-centered can cause trouble when achieving a goal. Other races will strongly dislike your greed or perhaps even your face. I hear trolls call goblins tiny orcs, but to be honest I think they look more trollish!

Pandaren: Sometimes all that wisdom and peace bashing can annoy the more violent and stubborn of characters. It's hard to calm down a blood-raging warsong surrounded by women and children!

Blood Elf: So, you're physically weaker than everything but undead and goblins? That's fine, you still have magic but when you're out of maua, you might want to let the men take over. Fel and demons are tricky to wield and won't make you any friends with other races, apart from maybe the Forsaken. An ego isn't the best personality flaw either!
Edited by Tarmikos on 09/06/2013 11:46 BST
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Human pro: You don´t have to bend your RP to some cliché or stereotype. Humans are just basic template and it is not your race which makes your character interesting - it is your character concept. Also, easy to RP.

Human con: Same as above - humans are just basic template and it is not your race which makes your character interesting. You need to try harder to come up with "cool and interesting" human concept.
Reply Quote
Another pro: Very good ties with the Draenei, and thus opportunity for cross-faction RP.

Just because Velen, in all his benevolence, has forgiven you doesn't mean the rest of us have. The Aldors and the Scryers are still at odds (You lose rep for Scryers when you gain for Aldors), your race invaded Tempest Keep and sabotaged the Exodar. The fact that it was Kael'thas' elves doesn't make much difference.

Oh, and you abused a Naaru.

Anyway, to the point of this thread:

Draenei pro: You're the eldest playable race, you're one of the most, if not the most Light and Arcane-attuned races in Warcraft lore aaaand you're blessed by the Naaru.

Con: Your numbers are very few, and for some reason you're the target of racism by humans despite humans being, y'know, open to other races. Hell, they have a racial called "Diplomacy."
Oh, and another con: You get no new lore and are abandoned by Blizzard forever.
Edited by Ruulaan on 09/06/2013 12:28 BST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
Oh, and you abused a Naaru.

Good times.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Night elf pros: ERP
Night elf cons: Futa-ERP
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Hunter

As a person who dabbles in night elf RP on the side sometimes I can confirm this.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

Oh vald, y u so funny ?

So far Tarmikos`s post has been a most delightful read, very nice
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
Forsaken

Benefits.
- Immortality. Lorewise, you simply dont go down. Stabs and slashes hardly even slows you down. You ain't invulnerable though, of course. You also dont need to sleep. Ever.
- Choices. You can pretty much be anything you want anytime you want. The limits are very easy to logically see and at some points even get around to shape your character. Without breaking the lore.
- Shadow power. You can recover from the most fatal of wounds with a bit of faith and you dont need muscles to remain strong. You can be thinner than an elf but stronger than an orc with the shadow's powers.
- Cunning. Facial expressions gets fewer and you no longer breath, which makes detecting a lie all the harder, meaning you can draw a straight up massive lie and no one will figure it out.
- Races. Not only are the forsaken more of a society then a race, it is almost influenced by two main culture with a LOT of backstory and plenty of ways to obtain power: Humans and elves. The possibilities are almost endless!

Downsides
- Undeath. While it gives plenty of benefits, it has a few downsides that makes other races hate you.. Smell, apperance, history, lack of compassion, lack of emotions.
- Reproduction. Simply impossible. Which makes the forsaken society 100% dependent on the alliance throwing more soldiers to their deaths to increase the forsaken numbers.
- Physical disadvantage. Despite being capable of being stronger then any other race, the same goes the other way.. If one doesn't have a strong bound with the shadow, limbs will simple fly off in the wind. Making the shadow not a choice but a necessarily to keep walking and regenerating.
Reply Quote
95 Night Elf Mage
Night elf RP

Pros:

Experience - You're one of the most ancient of races when it comes to living, breathing and fighting on Azeroth. In combat prowess and wisdom, you are rarely rivalled by other races and can operate among your fellow kaldorei as a large but tightly knit and organised community.

Back to your roots - Nelves are one of the few races that ditch technology as a whole. Despite the occasional glaive thrower, this is your best shot at playing a more primitive and self-dependent race among the Alliance.

Burn the heretic! - Unlike the other races of the Alliance, night elves are much less accepting of dark magics being practiced within their domain and will gladly respond to warlocks with open arms. (swords, that is!) This race is ideal for those who aren't so cheery about all the darkness in the Alliance.

Rich lore - Night elf lore has arguably the richest back story in the Warcraft universe, with their history stemming from 10 millenniums ago, they have a ton of different wars, grudges and traditions that can be researched and utilized into your little long-ears.

Oh, you're a noble? Please, tell me how that gets your head off the spike - Nobility are pretty screwed in most foreign lands, especially kaldorei land. If a noble is to act corrupt around the night elves, no amount of personal guards will save them from the pain to come.

Cons:

City elves and racism - While an extremely minor con, it should be noted. Night elves are a race that gets portrayed as 'city elves', an undesirable lot of edgy, slang-speaking elves trying to act more like goblins than actual humans. This leads to the rest of the Alliance looking at the nelves with a very vicious glare. Other examples of nelves causing this may be the hordes of ERPers, street cat druids and the emos..oh god, the amount of emo nelves.

Burn the heretic!: part II - There's a slight con to being a shadow-hating puritist and that's the fact you'll remain extremely narrow-minded and afraid. While this isn't an issue for many, the flaw will stick if you desperately need the assistance of a warlock. It's only recently that they started allowing magi and Highborne into their walls which of course, sparks a ton of racism RP. This sort've ruined my experience RPing a Highborne at the time.

Dat drama - From what I've seen in my occasional pass by through Darnassus, is that it doesn't take long for drama to arise. You're not alone, humans. We have nonsensical drama and villainy in our city too.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
Con: Your numbers are very few, and for some reason you're the target of racism by humans despite humans being, y'know, open to other races. Hell, they have a racial called "Diplomacy."

This applies to every non-human race on Argent Dawn.

Pirris has essentially said what i would have said although i do have a few pros and cons to add.

Pro:
Skilled: Elves are most likely -very- skilled in what they do they are for all intents and purposes as timeless as Draenei even without immortality they have ridiculous life spans. As such their military and combat tactics are very much almost without equal (magically they would likely tie against the Draenei) and they have been called "The perfect warriors" by Grom Hellscream himself. They have no concept of the same honour as Humans or Orcs and will use ambushes and picking-off tactics as easily as a cavalry charge from Humans may come.

Cognitive: Night Elves in their long lifespans are able to think about ideas or concepts to the point that would drive younger races insane, they have the time to utterly perfect an idea or a creation of sorts. They think along the lines of centuries and millenniums as opposed to merely years or decades, they may plant a grove of trees one century and wait another hundred years to see it bloom. This capacity to think longer term is also good on the diplomatic scale, while they despised the Highborne for a very long time they eventually have seen the worth of re inviting them back into society.

Cons:
Personalities: As said above, they have a very long time to think over things. Night Elves are slow to change, not all of them are but there is always going to be some level of unease against the Arcane for many Night Elves. Grudges may last far longer for them than many other races. An example of this may be one that boiled around Fandral Staghelm for over a thousand years over the loss of his son, so the potential for grudges to slowly poison a Night Elf is considerable.

A highly conservative race, they prefer to go with things that have tried and tested results. There is a taste of distrust in "new" things (Technology for example) and of course there will be pioneers as there are in all races they are likely to be seen as "quirky" or odd. Going against the norm is a social taboo more strong in Night Elves than say Humans.

Decision making too is also another feature that would most probably take far longer or have more time mulled over it, even for small things such as what to name a child, what to eat or how to spend a period of time, Night Elves are meant to be a very patient and thoughtful race, ponderous and aloof. There is no doubt that the majority would have even minor sense of superiority to younger races, from the point of a Parent or Teacher to that of a Child to the more extreme manifestations of treating them like vermin. Arrogance can manifest in numerous ways.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
"The perfect warriors" by Grom Hellscream himself

He was joking.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
He was joking.

I'm not aware Hellscreams are known for their humour

It's Hellscream not Funnychuckle.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Blood Elf pro: RP an ancient race with a lot of interesting lore and a fascinating homeland.

Agreed.

This is a con. Utterly stupid writing always is.

Con: The rest of the Horde hates you and treats you as weak.

You just called the rest of the horde stupid :D

City elves and racism - While an extremely minor con

I'd say "City Elf" is a pretty major con. But it's ok, we have these folks in Silvermoon too. "Human with long ears"
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
Blood Elf pros:

More similar to humans than most Horde races visually and thus easier for some to relate to

Umm...

Hmmm...

Umm...

They looked okay on the character creation screen, okay?!

Blood Elf cons:

Arrogant !@#$%y skimpy annoying dramaqueengrmblgrmblskjfajajsl
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Arrogant !@#$%y skimpy annoying dramaqueengrmblgrmblskjfajajsl

Agreed. I too, dislike the fools that cannot tell the difference between vanity and pride when it comes to a strong, PROUD race.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
Pro's: A very friendly community, both IC and OOC.
Pro: Good food, GOOD FOOD I'M TELLING YOU!

Con: There's a few bad apple RP'ers, Shado-Pan where they shouldn't be for example, and people who've never entered adulthood IC'ly.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
I'm not aware Hellscreams are known for their humour

It's Hellscream not Funnychuckle.

It comes to the point that he hadn't even begun fighting them when he made that statement. Seeing as the orcs pushed "the perfect warriors" back and made them so desperate to call their hippie-god, orcs must be beyond perfection.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]